CurlTalk

CG method help

samanthajenalynsamanthajenalyn Posts: 32Registered Users
Hi. I'm new to this site and I've just started the cg method. Im a little confused about all the ingredients were not suppose to use. I have 2a hair and was wondering if anyone could tell me some cheaper drugstore brands that I could use for co washing and for a leave in. Thanks!
CoWash: VO5 Moisture Milk Strawberry and Creme
Oil: Olive or Coconut
Mousse:Suave Volumizing Mousse

1c-2b
High Porosity
Medium Density
Medium Width
Collar bone length

-wishing for waist length eventually!

Comments

• chloe92uschloe92us Posts: 1,203Registered Users
    For cowashing, a lot of people like the Suave "Naturals", VO5 (all), Yes to Cucumbers, Yes to Blueberries, or tressemme "Naturals" (there are 2 different ones that are CG). If you have a Trader Joes, their Triple Tea Tree condish is really good. Loreal Evercurl cleansing conditioner is also good.

For leave-ins, you could use any of the above, or the Shea Moisture "milks".
    2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
    Cleanse: AIA cowash, TJ Tea Tree Condish
    Condish: JC Too Shea, Tresemme Botanique
    Stylers: flax/okra gel or KCCC + CJ PP or JC Spiralicious
    Experimenting with Got2B Ultra gel and loving it so far!
  • samanthajenalynsamanthajenalyn Posts: 32Registered Users
    Thanks! All of those are sulfate and silicone free?
    chloe92us wrote: »
    For cowashing, a lot of people like the Suave "Naturals", VO5 (all), Yes to Cucumbers, Yes to Blueberries, or tressemme "Naturals" (there are 2 different ones that are CG). If you have a Trader Joes, their Triple Tea Tree condish is really good. Loreal Evercurl cleansing conditioner is also good.

For leave-ins, you could use any of the above, or the Shea Moisture "milks".

Sent from my LGL75C using CurlTalk App

1c-2b
    High Porosity
    Medium Density
    Medium Width
    Collar bone length

• curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users
    For a co wash you can also use the Giovanni line or garnier fructis triple treat, pure/clean, or strength/length conditioners. But don't throw away your shampoo. You will need to clarify with a clarifying shampoo once a month.
  • anissafersureanissafersure Posts: 255Registered Users
    I just became completely CG too! For my co washes I'm using the As I Am Coconut Co-Wash Cleanser & the Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner. They're both silicone/sulfate free!
    I've been wanting to try the As I Am coconut co-wash! I've heard its pretty expensive for the amount you get. How do you like it?

1c-2b
    High Porosity
    Medium Density
    Medium Width
    Collar bone length

But don't throw away your shampoo. You will need to clarify with a clarifying shampoo once a month.

That may work for you, but there are plenty of CGers who never clarify, and there are others that low poo (sulphate free) regularly, and there are others that do like to clarify occasionally. There are no rules when it comes to pooing or clarifying; do it on an as-needed basis.
    Thanks everyone! I have pretty damaged hair that's frizzy from flat ironing and getting perms & then relaxers. What would be the best cheap cowash conditioner to use to help with the damage and friz?

1c-2b
    High Porosity
    Medium Density
    Medium Width
    Collar bone length

I've been wanting to try the As I Am coconut co-wash! I've heard its pretty expensive for the amount you get. How do you like it?

I got it from Walgreens for a little over $8. Compared to most products, that's not too bad! and you get a pretty decent amount. It made my hair super soft, but it also gave it a nice clean feeling. I have trouble with frizz too though, so I get where you're coming from. If you get a good leave-in, that will definitely help.
    Alright good! We just got a walgreens where I live so I will check that out. I looked and I think it was around $13 at the sallys in my town.

1c-2b
    High Porosity
    Medium Density
    Medium Width
    Collar bone length

• naturallyjaznaturallyjaz Posts: 63Registered Users
    I want to try out As I Am products. I've heard great things about it. I currently use Shea Moisture products. I might want to try the Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner.
    Last relaxer: May or June 2007
    BC: May 10, 2013
    Type: 3b/3c
    Hair properties: curly, wavy & fine texture; medium thick to thick density; normal porosity; normal elasticity

Current Loves:
    Shampoo: Shea Moisture Black African Soap Deep Cleansing, Shea Moisture Moisture Retention, Carol's Daughter Rosemary Mint Clarifying, Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Leave-In: Design Essentials HCO Leave-In Conditioner and Blow Drying Lotion
    I want to try both As I Am and Shea Moisture. Hopefully they can both help be with my problem.

1c-2b
    High Porosity
    Medium Density
    Medium Width
    Collar bone length

• PookarinaPookarina Posts: 69Registered Users
    I've seen Shea moisture stuff at Target
    Unfortunately there isn't a target in my town. I'm pretty sure the Walmart here sells it though. If not I'll probably just order it offline.

1c-2b
    High Porosity
    Medium Density
    Medium Width
    Collar bone length

Unfortunately there isn't a target in my town. I'm pretty sure the Walmart here sells it though. If not I'll probably just order it offline.

The Shea Moisture & As I Am products are sold at Walgreens, Wal Mart, Rite Aid, and CVS (only the Shea Moisture line is there).
  • CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Posts: 876Registered Users
    I was just at our local CVS last night, and they didn't have SM at all, so I guess not all of them carry it. Walgreens online has the entire line, though, and they have sales all the time. I think shipping is free for $25 and over, so I just stock up when I order and never pay shipping.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
    Thanks! I'll be sure to get some of that. Would coconut oil help with the frizz and damaged ends? If so, is there a certain kind I should get?

1c-2b
    High Porosity
    Medium Density
    Medium Width
    Collar bone length

Thanks! I'll be sure to get some of that. Would coconut oil help with the frizz and damaged ends? If so, is there a certain kind I should get?

Coconut oil will definitely help with that. You should purchase Extra Virgin Coconut Oil that's 100% natural. You can find it any health food store. They also sell it at Wal Mart in the Vitamins aisle. Make sure you don't use too much though, or else it'll make your hair very greasy and limp. A little goes a long way.
    Ive heard it comes in a solid and a liquid. Which one would be best?

Coconut oil will definitely help with that. You should purchase Extra Virgin Coconut Oil that's 100% natural. You can find it any health food store. They also sell it at Wal Mart in the Vitamins aisle. Make sure you don't use too much though, or else it'll make your hair very greasy and limp. A little goes a long way.

1c-2b
    High Porosity
    Medium Density
    Medium Width
    Collar bone length

Ive heard it comes in a solid and a liquid. Which one would be best?

When you buy the jar, the coconut inside is solid. You have to scoop it out with a spoon. As soon as you put it in your hands it melts into a liquid. You can't get organic coconut oil already as a liquid.
    Coconut oil is solid at cooler temperatures, so it depends on where you live. My CO stays solid all year round because it's not very hot here--sometimes if we're having a heat wave it'll soften up a bit. But liquid or solid are both the same.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Okay thank y'all very much! :)

1c-2b
    High Porosity
    Medium Density
    Medium Width
    Collar bone length

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    Actually coconut oil can also be fractionated so liquid all year round, this is less common but you do see it. It has a slightly different fatty acid composition which is less beneficial in this context because some of the lauric acid has been removed. So you want the regular coconut oil be that refined or virgin which is solid at room temperature most of the year.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • CurlyCutie1394CurlyCutie1394 Posts: 348Registered Users
    I'm really liking my l'oreal evercurl cleansing conditioner it's a lot gentler than my sheamoisture shampoo since I have a dry scalp but its cheaper so I now use my sheamoisture to 'clarify' per se
    Actually coconut oil can also be fractionated so liquid all year round, this is less common but you do see it. It has a slightly different fatty acid composition which is less beneficial in this context because some of the lauric acid has been removed. So you want the regular coconut oil be that refined or virgin which is solid at room temperature most of the year.

Yes, you're right--i realized later that I misspoke on that one. I've never seen fractionated coconut oil, so I didn't even think of it!

Trader Joe's also carries virgin coconut oil for a very good price.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Today I went to my local walgreens, and they didn't have any As I Am products so I bought RenPure Clensing Conditioner. It does have an A Cone in it but I've heard that it doesn't build up. I also got Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner and I'm using that as a leave in for now. I haven't been able to find any coconut oil yet but I'm going to walmart tomorrow to look for it there.

1c-2b
    High Porosity
    Medium Density
    Medium Width
    Collar bone length

Today I went to my local walgreens, and they didn't have any As I Am products so I bought RenPure Clensing Conditioner. It does have an A Cone in it but I've heard that it doesn't build up. I also got Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner and I'm using that as a leave in for now. I haven't been able to find any coconut oil yet but I'm going to walmart tomorrow to look for it there.

Coconut oil can be found at the grocery store with cooking oils, usually on the top shelf.
    Thanks! I'm going to try to get some the next time I go to walmart!

1c-2b
    High Porosity
    Medium Density
    Medium Width
    Collar bone length

• theknowledge02theknowledge02 Posts: 21Registered Users
    Coconut oil has a melting point of 76 degrees, so keep that in mind when looking for quality. It might not be the quality of the oil but the temperature of the room.
    Coconut oil has a melting point of 76 degrees, so keep that in mind when looking for quality. It might not be the quality of the oil but the temperature of the room.
    well i live in south georgia, so it will probably be in a somewhat liquid state most of the time!

1c-2b
    High Porosity
    Medium Density
    Medium Width
    Collar bone length