Tips for going red???

sunbeam0930sunbeam0930 Posts: 7Registered Users
I wasnt to go to this type of red:
72869.png&w=300&h=200&mt=1359487319

My color is medium brown, any suggestions/tips/advice?

Thanks.

Comments

• RytokaRytoka Posts: 309Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You could try henna. Straight henna works pretty good to get an auburn like that. Plus it's not as damaging as regular hair color, depends on your beginning hair color tho. Test on she'd hair at first to be sure. I just went for it the first time and it turned out great, I had med brown virgin roots and dark brown colored on the bottom. ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1372536066.628298.jpg
    This is what it looks like now after two treatments.
    Katie
    2C/3a, Medium Texture, Normal porosity, High Density, Normal Elasticity (so says the LCLF Hair analysis)
    Co Wash: As I am
    RO: Yes To Carrots / Ion
    LI: Biotera / Samy Big Curls Defining Cream
    Gel: FSG, Volumax (Original and Mega)
    Color: Henna
    Tools: Diffusing
    :thumright:
    That would be shed hair lol
    Katie
    2C/3a, Medium Texture, Normal porosity, High Density, Normal Elasticity (so says the LCLF Hair analysis)
  • KarimaKarima Posts: 36Registered Users
    Wow, that such a beautiful colour! Is your hair blond naturally? Just wondering cos the colour is so intense! What have you put in your henna mixture?
  • sunbeam0930sunbeam0930 Posts: 7Registered Users
    No my hair is naturally dark. I saw a music video with that singer and since I'm fair I figured I can pull it off lol :)

My fear with henna is the commitment. I like to change my color, I'll post before and after shots.
    Karima wrote: »
    Wow, that such a beautiful colour! Is your hair blond naturally? Just wondering cos the colour is so intense! What have you put in your henna mixture?

Natural I am a boring med brown. I just use straight henna from mehandi. Jasmine something? I love it! It covers my grey awesome, those strands are a brighter red. And it isn't damaging like box color. I just use ACV a little honey and GVPCB in my mix. It's messy and has to process for four hours but doesn't fade like box color. I love being a redhead :)
    Katie
    No my hair is naturally dark. I saw a music video with that singer and since I'm fair I figured I can pull it off lol :)

My fear with henna is the commitment. I like to change my color, I'll post before and after shots.

Hope it works! Looking forward to pics ;) saw another thread that said you can color over with regular dyes with no real problems if you want to switch it up. You can also add other herbs to adjust the color. I buy mine from mehandi.com and check out hennaforhair.com for more info.
    Katie
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Red is a tough colour to hold onto, expect to have to touch up the lengths with a semi permanent periodically. If you 'refresh' the lengths each time you do the roots you will damage them - all permanent box dyes contain peroxide and most if not all are alkaline both of which are damaging.

Do strand tests on shed plughole hair to avoid nasty surprises; dye after a coconut oil soak or two to help reduce damage.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    I bought ion light copper brown because that way if I get bored I can just put a medium brown over it (close to my natural color) and be done with it.

I have plenty of almond oil and coconut oil to keep it soft. I figure I'll have reddish brown for summer and go back to a deeper color in the winter. I'll post pics and any other info tomorrow.
    The red doesn't show up very well in this light but outside you can see a little bit of red in my hair. It isn't exactly what i wanted but I like it and I really don't want to damage my hair.

beforeandafter.jpg

before on left, after on right. No real noticeable difference other than my hair looks a bit flat today.
    Did your strand tests come out lighter/ brighter?
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
  • Karen7Karen7 Posts: 14Registered Users
    Amazing hair color! Dyeing it and then soak your hair into beer to make sure the hair color is stunning!
    Next time I'm doing henndigo (but not til August). I'm at the Indian grocery store every week so I can pick some up there. My hair is damaged from trying to lighten it (stupid idea, it clashes with my complexion and I have stubborn hair)and even though I did protein treatments my hair will not hold the brown color.

I've been making hair masks from honey, olive oil, almond oil, coconut oil, and yogurt. I think if I go to henndigo I'll stick with that or grow out my natural hair.Either way no more harsh chemicals.
    Next time I'm doing henndigo (but not til August). I'm at the Indian grocery store every week so I can pick some up there. My hair is damaged from trying to lighten it (stupid idea, it clashes with my complexion and I have stubborn hair)and even though I did protein treatments my hair will not hold the brown color.

I've been making hair masks from honey, olive oil, almond oil, coconut oil, and yogurt. I think if I go to henndigo I'll stick with that or grow out my natural hair.Either way no more harsh chemicals.

Coconut oil is the only oil proven to help prevent further protein loss in colour damaged hair. Yoghurt is not a protein treatment, use a proper hydrolysed protein or gelatin if you prefer foodstuffs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file