About exfoliating skin

lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
I have a cast on my left hand that's up to between the wrist & elbow with the thumb & forefinger & middle finger sticking out.

It's been on since the 9th of Jan but on the 12th the doc's nurse sawed it in half so I could get x-rays & it's now being held together with coban.

Since then I've been allowed to take it off to wash my stinky hand & try to exfoliate the itchy dead skin underneath. I've tried a wash cloth with hand soap, bare hand with sugar scrub, wash cloth with sugar scrub, & just peeling it layer by layer. And as a last resort I tried hand soap & "scrubbing" with my nails, & even a soapy delicate scrub pad! :oops:

Alright, so I'm desperate. And my cast might not come off permanently for another two to three weeks.

Once it's off, how can I get my hand & fingers back in shape if nothing has worked to date?! How long will it take?! :(

Comments

• noellenoelle Posts: 377Registered Users
    Hi Liz's loops--your sugar scrub sounds good. Did it help a little? I like baking soda; it has a silky quality to it when mixed with water or Cetaphil or something like that. Poor arm! Hope it's doing well (and the skin on top of it) soon!
    2C top/3A&B underneath. Activate Hydrating Conditioner, Jessicurl products.
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    noelle wrote:
    Hi Liz's loops--your sugar scrub sounds good. Did it help a little? I like baking soda; it has a silky quality to it when mixed with water or Cetaphil or something like that. Poor arm! Hope it's doing well (and the skin on top of it) soon!

A little, yes. I had to do it several times & thickly though.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,734Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    you need those little scrubbie things that surgeons use before they operate.

:D

i know you can get them from Lee Valley Tools:

http://www.leevalley.com/
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I never broke an arm, but when I broke my ankle and was in a cast for 2.5 months, my skin was awful when the cast finally came off. The skin was all flakey and funny colors. It all came off in the first shower though...I just used a scrub brush and it all just rolled off. My skin recovered very quickly after that. In fact, it looked better than ever...all pink and pretty and uncaloused. The ankle took a LOT longer to rehab than my skin did.

Just wash/scrub the skin the best you can and keep plenty of lotion on it. It will be fine.
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    Those scrubby things from Lee Valley are great. I use them to clean my nails during the gardening season and also (a separate one) for cleaning vegetables. I haven't ever seen them in a store anywhere.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
    rou & Castella,

What in the world are you two talking about? You're talking hardware so I'm thinking of rasps & sanders! :shock: :lol:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    You know, that lotion that exfoliates your feet would probably work well. I use it on my hands sometimes, which sounds crazy but it seems to get the rough skin off. Kerasal AL. It has salicylic acid in it.
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    world's kindest nail brush

Lee Valley is Canada-based...these brushes are CHEAP but the shipping may not be. I bought 6 brushes years ago and still use them, they're great, very gentle on your skin but very effective!
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
    Castella,

Oh, now I see what you & Rou are talking about! Rou's link took me to the home page & I had no idea what to search for. And when she said
    those little scrubbie things that surgeons use before they operate.
    all I saw in my mind's eye was something along the lines of what you linked to, though with stiffer thicker "bristles" & a sponge under the "bristles", containing some sort of orange-brown soap! :oops: :lol:
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,734Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    oooops!!!!

:lol:

sorry dear!!!

when i lived in Ottawa, i used to work at an office down the street from Lee Valley's headquarters and main store.

my sister would often send me to work with a shopping list!

:D
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
    Oh crud, I deleted my reply. I only wanted to edit! I wondered why I was asked if I wanted to "edit". :oops:

Oh well, anyhow, my cast came off yesterday & I should probably be known as Lizard Lady for a while! :|

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file