First day CG

viennavienna Posts: 5Registered Users
I already see a difference, I washed my hair for the last time with a sulfate shampoo last night and used suave tropical coconut conditioner, and as a leave in. I also used Loreal Eversleek Super Sleek intense serum. There are more spirals in my hair now : )

The only thing that makes me sad about CG is that I can't use my favorite shampoos and conditioners... such as Herbal Essences totally twisted berry shampoo : '( it smells so good! lol. I've always been partial to Pantene products as well.

my hair used to be maybe a 3a, but multiple process bleachings (I went blonde 3 times, had naturally nearly black hair and it was dyed as well) have ruined my curls and my hair is maybe a 2c or 2b.

i also use the Curls Goddess Curls gel, but I'm not sure if I like it. It doesn't really hold well at all unless I use like 1/3 or 1/4 of the bottle.

are there any product recommendations? I have coarse, high density, and medium to high porosity. I have normal to low elasticity.

Comments

• anissafersureanissafersure Posts: 255Registered Users
    The Krystal Eco Styler gel is a m a z i n g. I've used tons of it in my hair before (even though you don't need to) and my hair was so defined. It didn't even make it hard or crunchy at all! It actually leaves your hair soft, but with hold. As far as leave-ins go, I've experienced with a bunch. I started using this Cantu Shea Butter leave-in and I love it so far. It's not heavy at all, so it gives enough slip to detangle your hair. But it also moisturizes your hair so it isn't dry. Pair that with the eco styler gel and you're golden (:
  • viennavienna Posts: 5Registered Users
    Thanks!! I will try that... I saw Cantu products at target yesterday , ill have to pick that up. I heard about them before and I was surprised that they weren't expensive at all aha

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The Cantu leave in is not a true conditioner, it is not rich in fatty alcohols or cationic surfactants. For porous or colour treated hair look for proven ingredients that can patch repair or penetrate like coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides and panthenol. Ingredients that can help boost curl include coconut oil, honey, hydrolysed protein and magnesium sulphate. The latter two can be drying so don't overuse.

If your curls don't bounce back after a month of so of CG consider cutting off the worst of the limp hair, the damaged sections will catch on healthir hair damaging that too.

If you ever get the urge to colour treat again don't bleach out dye, use a peroxide free colour remover like Color Oops or Colour B4. And run strand tests on shed plughole hair.

Hard hold gels that are well liked include Ecostyler as already mentioned and LA Looks Sport.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • viennavienna Posts: 5Registered Users
    Thanks for suggestions! I'm not going to bleach my hair ever again, lol , but color oops is what ruined my hair , I'm pretty sure that's what I used the most recent time. I used that maybe 3 times on my hair over the course of 2 weeks and bleached it multiple times. Not a smart idea, I know

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    vienna wrote: »
    Thanks for suggestions! I'm not going to bleach my hair ever again, lol , but color oops is what ruined my hair , I'm pretty sure that's what I used the most recent time. I used that maybe 3 times on my hair over the course of 2 weeks and bleached it multiple times. Not a smart idea, I know

Unless I am mistaken and it contains peroxide (fairly sure it does not) Color Oops did not ruin your hair, it just revealed the true state of your porous/ damaged hair but with the cuticle raised because it is alkaline. All you have done with a colour remover is removed any silicone coating and colour molecules which were partially plugging up the bleach damaged cortex.

I've used the UK version which is Colour B4 six or seven times (!) in a couple of years so I know it feels like it destroyed your hair, but honestly it was the bleach that blew all the holes in the cortex and stripped the fatty cuticle glue/ water resistant coating from your hair.

Work on patch repairing the bleach damage and reducing the porosity with coconut oil and hydrolysed protein treatments. Definitely also try ceramides and panthenol - Komaza Care is a one brand that uses all four and many products are pH 4.5 so will encourage your cuticle to lay flat.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    Check out some of Tiffany's (of Live Curly Live Free) recs for coarse hair on pinterest. For high porosity hair I would recommend you seal!

http://pinterest.com/curlwhisperer/curly-hair-coarse-texture-products/
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    I have to add that most of the stuff on Tiffany's pinterest for coarse hair is protein free as a lot of coarse haired curlies have issues with protein.

if you have a lot of damage from bleach however and truly porous hair, it can certainly benefit from some protein. I'd say start doing protein treatments and maybe using protein-free stylers at first. Then see how your hair reacts to the the protein.... how often you should do PTs and if you should start using protein in your RO, LI or other styling products.

A popular pt is IAgirl's gelatin recipe Pedaheh's Hair Blog: Science-y Hair Blog Recipes

Where do you live and how are the dews? In very high or very low dews you may want to avoid humectants such as glycerin in your leave-in and styling products.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list