why doesnt my hair look natural on me?

curlywavybeautycurlywavybeauty Registered Users Posts: 223
I wore my hair out yesterday and a girl said it looks like a wig...when I first went natural people thought I had a texturizer, when it was permed people thought my hair was tracks. Why does my hair never look natural on me?
African American-to be more specific, Black Native american, White and Creole.
3b,c and 4a hair

Comments

• Sun-ReiSun-Rei Registered Users Posts: 275
    My guess is that it has very little to do with you and much more to do with other people's preconceived notions of what "should" be growing out of your head. Your signature suggests a rich heritage that maybe people can't see just by looking at you? Either way, take it as a compliment that your hair looks like (naturally) what someone else would buy to try to acheive! :D
  • foxycus02foxycus02 Registered Users Posts: 918
    Sun-Rei love your reply.

rockin' to the tune of her own beat...

comic-p.jpg
  • curlywavybeautycurlywavybeauty Registered Users Posts: 223
    Sun-Rei wrote:
    My guess is that it has very little to do with you and much more to do with other people's preconceived notions of what "should" be growing out of your head. Your signature suggests a rich heritage that maybe people can't see just by looking at you? Either way, take it as a compliment that your hair looks like (naturally) what someone else would buy to try to acheive! :D

that was a very good response! thanks,it's just hard to take it as a compliment when I dont think my hair is really any differnt than other african americans. Like recently someone told me I had a good grade of hair, I just didnt say anything. I wounder if I have a good grade what's a failing grade of hair? I dont mind other compliments like people just saying "I like you hair" it just bothers me when I get 'compliments' for my hair texture because it's not what other percive to be 'typical' african american hair
    3b,c and 4a hair
  • LadyLibra1982LadyLibra1982 Registered Users Posts: 203
    Sun-Rei wrote:

that was a very good response! thanks,it's just hard to take it as a compliment when I dont think my hair is really any differnt than other african americans. Like recently someone told me I had a good grade of hair, I just didnt say anything. I wounder if I have a good grade what's a failing grade of hair? I dont mind other compliments like people just saying "I like you hair" it just bothers me when I get 'compliments' for my hair texture because it's not what other percive to be 'typical' african american hair

first of all... i completely understand you. i've gotten that crap all my life too, relaxed or natural. to me it's like they're saying, "black women can't possibly have heathy, nice-looking hair... so it must be fake or you must have done something to it!"

either that, or they assume it came from another part of your heritage. it's because you're "mixed" that you have "that good hair." :roll:

secondly... the bolded part of your quote. i'm gonna start saying this to people who tell me i have a "good grade of hair" because that's just too funny... let's see how they respond to that! :lol:
    Lady Libra
    3c/4a???
    i stick with the description "OS thready thick"

my curly fro now is at collarbone when straightened.... basically the length i had when i started transitioning! hooray for growth!!! =)
  • curlywavybeautycurlywavybeauty Registered Users Posts: 223
    Thanks. It's nice to know there are other natural women out there with unnatural hair LOL
    3b,c and 4a hair
    :lol: we'll educate the masses! Any suggestions on a response to "it looks so exotic?"
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Registered Users Posts: 4,151 Curl Connoisseur
    Sun-Rei wrote:
    :lol: we'll educate the masses! Any suggestions on a response to "it looks so exotic?"

In a way, it is exotic. Since most people aren't used to seeing women with their natural curls/coils, it's almost foreign to them. Exotic basically means something uncommon/unusual. And while women wearing their hair naturally is increasing and is normal to us, there still is a HUGE population who still chemically relax and the mention of wearing one's hair natural is not.

If people actually had a chance to see what their hair looked like naturally, there would be nothing exotic about it because pretty much everyone would have coily hair. Naturally straight hair would probably then be exotic. :wink:
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
    In a way, it is exotic. Since most people aren't used to seeing women with their natural curls/coils, it's almost foreign to them. Exotic basically means something uncommon/unusual. And while women wearing their hair naturally is increasing and is normal to us, there still is a HUGE population who still chemically relax and the mention of wearing one's hair natural is not.

If people actually had a chance to see what their hair looked like naturally, there would be nothing exotic about it because pretty much everyone would have coily hair. Naturally straight hair would probably then be exotic. Wink

You are so right. Maybe if more people wore their hair naturally curlywavy's hair wouldn't seem so "unnatural" to them either.
    :oops: double post

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file