So let's talk about bathroom lighting...

Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
I'm slowly but surely replacing the builder grade lighting in my home. LR/DR were done last Fall; I'll do the bedrooms next Fall. Right now, I'm having the ones in the foyer, hall, and hall bath replaced. Choosing the hall ones was easy, but the bathroom is really hard.

The bathroom is tiny, 5'x7;.the only light source is over the vanity. Right now, I have those four round 'Miss Piggy' lights but I'd like something more vintage or classic looking. My questions:

Are the lights supposed to face up or down? What's the advantage either way?

Should I consider having an overhead light installed? Given the size of the room, I say no but I'm thinking re-sale.

What should I consider about the shades?

Thanks.

Comments

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It doesn't cost much to add a ceiling box. I would do it if the bathroom is shadowy/doesn't have natural light. Add them to bedrooms, too, if you don't already have them.

Do you have pictures of the bathroom? What style is your house?

• Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    I live in a non-descript tract house (you know, 2 or 3 builders who put up the same 2 or 3 house throughout the subdivision) in the burbs. I think it's a called a snout house because of the prominent garage.

Anyway, I have overhead lighting everywhere except the bathrooms; I added it to the closets in the small bedroom.

I can get an estimate for the small bath.
    My electrician does ceiling boxes for $50 if you have several to do or I think $75 for one.

But what how is your house decorated? Most of what is available at Lowe's and Home Depot is geared toward the boring, suburban new-build tract house. That's what I have, too, but I am in the process of personalizing mine on the inside. Mine has a slightly Asian, slightly sculptural, very minimalist. I wish you were doing your kitchen now bc that's what i'm doing first and I need help w/ kitchen lighting.

Wall mount lighting for bathrooms is a lot more plentiful...but I like these ceiling lights for a smaller bathroom...if the decor is more modern, art deco or eastern.

%E2%80%98One%20Light%20Only%E2%80%99%20Lighting%20Collection.jpg

Those are cool. A little fancy for me, I'm real traditional. The electrician is coming in the morning to give me estimates. Since he'll have to go into the attic for the closets, he might not charge too much for the bathrooms.

I'm doing the kitchen next. It's got that big ugly fluorescent rectangle. The kitchen is open so that ugly thing is visible to company. Plus it's starting to buzz. I'm not sure what to do there either.
    Myradella3 wrote: »
    Those are cool. A little fancy for me, I'm real traditional. The electrician is coming in the morning to give me estimates. Since he'll have to go into the attic for the closets, he might not charge too much for the bathrooms.

I'm doing the kitchen next. It's got that big ugly fluorescent rectangle. The kitchen is open so that ugly thing is visible to company. Plus it's starting to buzz. I'm not sure what to do there either.

Pendants!

• mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    I like the lighting options at this store. Our house was built in 1926 so we need something more traditional.

I'm faced with replacing many of our lighting fixtures as well. The previous owners bought all the lighting fixtures at Ikea so they look cheap and ugly anyway. The problem is that replacement bulbs for some of the fixtures are only available at Ikea. I went to buy some bulbs this week and was horrified to see that Ikea is moving toward LED bulbs, which are $9.99 each. That's great for lights you'll have for a few years, but not for cheap lights I want to replace anyway.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    Wall mount lighting for bathrooms is a lot more plentiful...but I like these ceiling lights for a smaller bathroom...if the decor is more modern, art deco or eastern.

%E2%80%98One%20Light%20Only%E2%80%99%20Lighting%20Collection.jpg
    Ha! These remind me of the builder grade light fixtures that were installed in houses built in the early 70s. Our garage was filled with them when we moved into our house. There must have been some sort of remodel done here around that time and later owners felt like I do about them. :D
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
    I love that Rejuventation site! I'll be sure to check there before replacing the bedrooms and my bathroom.

Would an island lighting fixture work if it's not placed over an island? I'll try to get pics of the space but the kitchen is open to the LR and DR and halls so the new lighting is easily seen from the kitchen. I don't know why I didn't think of doing it sooner. I think because I really just ignore that white box cause it's so ugly. It should have been the first thing replaced.
    Myradella3 wrote: »
    I love that Rejuventation site! I'll be sure to check there before replacing the bedrooms and my bathroom.

Would an island lighting fixture work if it's not placed over an island? I'll try to get pics of the space but the kitchen is open to the LR and DR and halls so the new lighting is easily seen from the kitchen. I don't know why I didn't think of doing it sooner. I think because I really just ignore that white box cause it's so ugly. It should have been the first thing replaced.

Yes, I think so. I will be using pendants and I don't have an island.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file