The Body Bashing Revolution

Purplecurls17Purplecurls17 Posts: 152Registered Users Curl Neophyte
So, almost every time I log onto FB I am bombarded with those stupid memes that bash thin women and curvy women. It's sickening!
I am a curvier girl myself. I got boobs, booty and full hips and thighs. I used to LOATHE my body! As a 21 year old I am finally beginning to appreciate my body. I'm not obsessed with my thighs touching or if my bum can fit into a pair of Abercrombie jeans!
I recently had a coworker tell me that I needed to lose weight. At first I was taken aback, but then I placed her hands on my obliques and told her " these are solid! I am thick, not fat!"
Standing up for my body is something that I have never done before. Usually I go home and cry like a little girl lol. This is going to sound douch-y, but I kind of hate being called curvy or thick by other people because many women who are over weight call themselves curvy. I thought curvy meant that you are thicker and have fuller hips and breasts. So I instantly associate it with that.
Why is there do much body bashing!? Why do women feel the need to say hurtful things about each others bodies' ?!so sad!

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If you're against body bashing, why are you being so bossy about who can use the word "curvy"?

You're right...it sounds douchy.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If you're against body bashing, why are you being so bossy about who can use the word "curvy"?

Actually curvy originally didn't mean overweight. It meant women who were hourglass or pear shaped. Now it exclusively means overweight women, even those who have no curves whatsoever.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • Purplecurls17Purplecurls17 Posts: 152Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Actually curvy originally didn't mean overweight. It meant women who were hourglass or pear shaped. Now it exclusively means overweight women, even those who have no curves whatsoever.

That's what I was talking about. ^ I went through a period where I was overweight due to an in diagnosed gluten allergy. I wouldn't call my self curvy then, curvy to me = carrying your weight in your butt, hips, and thighs and\or having a full bust.
    The most unhealthy place to store fat is on your waist line. Which is where mine was.
    I think a woman's beauty is in how she carries herself. You can be overweight and be beautiful. My mother had 6 kids and has always struggled with her weight. I still think she is gorgeous and awesome.
    I was simply trying to explain how the word "curvy " is being misused. My roommate always said I was " thick" or " curvy" and I would take offense. I took it as a hint to lose a few. She eventually explained to me that thick and curvy does not mean overweight where she comes from. It means you have a more hour glass figure or pear shaped figure and you are not a straight figure. Slapping on the label of curvy gives people an excuse to be overweight and carry it in an unhealthy area of the body.
    My own best friend was overweight and aware of it. I still thought she was beautiful. She was unhappy with carrying around extra weight so she started working out and eating right. She looks amazing ! She's not thin as a rail, but she is a healthy size for her body type. My problem is people who don't think that being a size 12 is okay ( Abercrombie CEO * cough* ) and that women need to be a size 2 to be attractive or healthy.
    That is all :)
  • cailincailin Posts: 928Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think what RCW is saying is that this statement:

So, almost every time I log onto FB I am bombarded with those stupid memes that bash thin women and curvy women. It's sickening!

And this paragraph:
    That's what I was talking about. ^ I went through a period where I was overweight due to an in diagnosed gluten allergy. I wouldn't call my self curvy then, curvy to me = carrying your weight in your butt, hips, and thighs and\or having a full bust.
    The most unhealthy place to store fat is on your waist line. Which is where mine was.
    I think a woman's beauty is in how she carries herself. You can be overweight and be beautiful. My mother had 6 kids and has always struggled with her weight. I still think she is gorgeous and awesome.
    I was simply trying to explain how the word "curvy " is being misused. My roommate always said I was " thick" or " curvy" and I would take offense. I took it as a hint to lose a few. She eventually explained to me that thick and curvy does not mean overweight where she comes from. It means you have a more hour glass figure or pear shaped figure and you are not a straight figure. Slapping on the label of curvy gives people an excuse to be overweight and carry it in an unhealthy area of the body.
    My own best friend was overweight and aware of it. I still thought she was beautiful. She was unhappy with carrying around extra weight so she started working out and eating right. She looks amazing ! She's not thin as a rail, but she is a healthy size for her body type. My problem is people who don't think that being a size 12 is okay ( Abercrombie CEO * cough* ) and that women need to be a size 2 to be attractive or healthy.
    That is all :)

are contrary to each other. you can't say "Body bashing is wrong" then say "I wish those fatties would stop calling themselves 'curvy'"

You can't tell health by looking at someone, and I think the bigger issue is that people think women's bodies weather thin or heavy are public property to be commented on.

So if an overweight woman wants to call herself curvy, that doesn't affect my life in the slightest. Go for it.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,734Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    nowadays, "curvy" is used to describe thin women with bigger boobs and butts. i see it applied to JLo and CZJ and Eva Longoria.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    rouquinne wrote: »
    nowadays, "curvy" is used to describe thin women with bigger boobs and butts. i see it applied to JLo and CZJ and Eva Longoria.

Eva Longoria is so thin she has to have breasts and hips photoshopped on. She has no curves whatsoever. I've never heard anyone calling her curvy. J-Lo is curvy by Hollywood standards but by regular everyday Puerta Rican Bronx standards she's slim.

Yeah, I guess these terms are thrown around somewhat ambiguously. But unless it's like a blind date situation, how is it misleading? You can visually tell if a person is overweight, regardless of what they call themselves.

• CurlyGrey3CurlyGrey3 Posts: 508Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    cailin wrote: »
    You can't tell health by looking at someone, and I think the bigger issue is that people think women's bodies weather thin or heavy are public property to be commented on.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Women's bodies are objectified in so many ways that people feel free to comment on them almost as if they're separate entities from the person they contain.
    Salt & pepper wavy mix 2B/2C
    Low to normal porosity, coarse, kinky, normal elasticity
    Current favorites:
    Low poo: Yes To Cukes Color Protection (the no sulfate one)
    Conditioners: Renpure MPHIP, CJ Smoothing Lotion, AB LI, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan/Olive, Darcy's Pumpkin
    Style: FSG, BRHG
    Pre-poo/DT: Conditioner with honey & coconut oil

iHerb discount code: PNQ285
    cailin wrote: »
    I think what RCW is saying is that this statement:

And this paragraph:

"are contrary to each other. you can't say "Body bashing is wrong" then say "I wish those fatties would stop calling themselves 'curvy'"

"You can't tell health by looking at someone, and I think the bigger issue is that people think women's bodies weather thin or heavy are public property to be commented on. "

Okay I guess I was not very clear in my My two posts and I apologize. ( it's kinda weird to write the posts on my phone because I lose track of what I am saying. Plus having ADD does not help with trying to organize thoughts lol. MY BAD guys.
    Here's where I stand:
    I believe that if you carry yourself well and are enjoyable to be around then you are beautiful. If your clothes fit right on whatever body you have and you make an effort to take care of yourself, you are beautiful.
    I apologize for my " curvy definition rant" I am sticking to what I think it means and who should use it as my OWN opinion. But that should have been a separate topic, and it made me come off as a jerk, which I didn't want. I apologize.
    I wish we could throw away " body labels " no one can agree on what they mean anymore. Like DAMN I guess I don't even know anymore! Haha. I just have my own ideas. But, how else would you describe someone's body type.

I agree that you can not define health by looking at someone, that's very true. I knew a few girls that were in great health even though they were "full-figured" ( is that a good term? I don't want to "bash" anyone. that's how my mom refers to herself. )

I have heard a group of people call a girl fat behind her back and say she should throw herself on a treadmill! Turns out she had a thyroid problem. That's the stuff I am talking about. Saying rude things when you don't even know the person. She could be sweet and funny and they would never know. they just dissed her before getting to know her.
    All I am trying to say is that we should just stop preying on other women's bodies and trying to find every flaw or insecurity. Whether they are big, medium, small , or extra small we should stop commenting how many rolls they have or how many bones we can see. There are better ways that we could spend our time than picking apart other bodies.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Not to be flip, but...so f*cking what? Anyone with a brain and a 4th grade education, knows that curvy means anything with curves. If overweight women want to co-opt the word...so what? It won't change the meaning. I don't see how it hurts anyone for them to use that term. I can, however, see how it hurts all women to have some women standing up and proclaiming that fatties aren't allowed to use the word curvy unless they have a slim waistline. Save that for the misogynists.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Not to be flip, but...so f*cking what? Anyone with a brain and a 4th grade education, knows that curvy means anything with curves. If overweight women want to co-opt the word...so what? It won't change the meaning. I don't see how it hurts anyone for them to use that term. I can, however, see how it hurts all women to have some women standing up and proclaiming that fatties aren't allowed to use the word curvy unless they have a slim waistline. Save that for the misogynists.

The word does have a different meaning if a woman who is ruler shaped but overweight is considered curvy. An overweight woman who is hourglass or pear shaped is still curvy, as the curves being mentioned are those of a round butt and hips that are wider than the waist. Let's agree to disagree.

3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
    Let's agree that NONE of us know! Apparently I am clueless! Lol what a cluster F.
    I think I am going to start using the term " healthy figure". Whether you are ruler shaped, pear shaped, triangle shaped, hourglass,or apple shaped, you still can be healthy and that matters more than ANYTHING else.
    You guys are inspiring me to throw out words like skinny or curvy because those adjectives have kind of ignited the body bashing campaign and society cannot agree on what those words mean without putting people down.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think I am going to start using the term " healthy figure". Whether you are ruler shaped, pear shaped, triangle shaped, hourglass,or apple shaped, you still can be healthy and that matters more than ANYTHING else.
    You can't tell if someone's healthy from their size, and I'm not even talking about being sick. You can be obese and still be active and fit, with good blood pressure and cholesterol. Meanwhile, you can be slim and even very athletic, but still have high BP and cholesterol. A lot of slim people assume they're healthy, when in reality they're facing heart attack at 40.

More importantly, even though you're complaining about body-bashing, you yourself have been bashing people's bodies in this thread. You may not mean anything bad, but you're still using insulting language. Think of how many women (not to mention men) have serious body image issues, and how common eating disorders are. Just be a little more sensitive, and this won't have to be a cluster F :)

tl;dr version: Some of the people reading this thread probably have serious body image and food issues. Your posts could be harmful to them, so it's best to be a little more sensitive and respectful. Not to mention, people with less-serious issues could still feel insulted.
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Curvy can be thin or fat. It's a body shape thing. Nice breast, smaller waist, big hips. Curvy.

I'm not huge, but I never say in curvy.

It's like fat women calling themselves thick. Thick is big butt thighs and hips, but you still gave a waist line. Doesn't have to be perfect, but you can't be shaped like a BARREL!

Personally I don't label myself. I'm fat in my opinion. But in not huge. I'd like to lose weight, but if I don't I won't feel ugly. And I CERTAINLY don't care what men have to say! Or the media..

Love who you are, not how you look.
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
    I guess there isn't really a nice way to describe a human body without offending people. My intention was not to offend anyone! I face body image issues on a daily basis and it is hard to love my body all the time, so I do get it. I am going to delete this thread i think because I am not the kind of person you all think I am. I'm not rude and insensitive by nature. I guess I'm just unaware, which is my bad. I didn't mea
    To hurt anyone. Sorry guys :P
    I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I do not use some kind of adjective to describe a person to another person. I am human and I say stuff that will displease some, but I can't say and do right ALL the time.
    I don't want to bring negativity towards body image to this forum. Again, I'm sorry for my offensive terms
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    You guys are inspiring me to throw out words like skinny or curvy because those adjectives have kind of ignited the body bashing campaign and society cannot agree on what those words mean without putting people down.

In terms of buying and making clothing, "healthy figure" means nothing and you need to know if you are a rectangle, apple, pear or hourglass. And you need to know your actual body measurements, possibly your dress size. Different situations call for the use of different terminology. Why be so didactic about this? There are so many other larger issues are at play here besides this terminology.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file