PROGESTRONE CREAM

SIMASIMA Posts: 83Registered Users
HI GIRLS,
does any one know about prescription natural progestrone cream, to ease up your bleeding because of fibroids at age 44. does it help? i dont want to remove my uterus because of fibroids i have.
sima

Comments

• BotanicalcurlsBotanicalcurls Posts: 30Registered Users
    Just my two cents and I am no authority, but if it is a natural product, it is my understanding that you won't need a prescription. I have been using a natural progesterone cream called "Happy PMS Cream" for almost 5 years and I can't tell you what an amazing difference it has made in my life. I use it for PMS purposes, but I read a book by the doctor who created this cream (Dr. Lee) and there are so many good things that these creams can do. I think the book discussed use of this cream for fibroids as well as the issues I was researching.

Do some research and if you think it's for you, I would highly recommend one of these creams. There are many of them out there, I just happened to be introduced to this one (Happy PMS) and had good luck with it, so I've stuck with it. I know there are various options at the health food store I go to.
    3b, coarse dark blonde hair; cut fairly short - just below ears.
    TJ's Nourish for CO wash, Too Shea! as conditioner and leave-in, Bioterra gel (Too Shea! & Bioterra are my HG!)
  • alim1216alim1216 Posts: 240Registered Users
    There is non-prescription strength progesterone that you can get at health food stores, then there's prescription strength and concentrated strengths that need to be Rxd and compounded. Best resort is to go to someone who does alternative medicine options along with regular medicine (can't do otherwise here in S. FL, as naturopathics are not licensed here! :( ) and get the saliva tests for the hormones. It's the most accurate of all the tests available for hormonal imbalances.

Also, wouldn't hurt looking into acupuncture - second time I've mentioned this alternative medicine today! :) And no, I'm not an acupuncturist, but do work for one part time and have gotten treated with it. It does work depending on the problem. Some acupuncturists specialize in women's issues and may be able to address this problem. Good Luck.
    Hair 3a/3b.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    (Note to self - find a good acupuncturist)

I used Zand's progesterone cream a few years ago on the advice of a GYN whom I had consulted about UAE to shrink fibroids. Only thing I found is that my periods got irregular, so I stopped. I may try it again. I got it at Whole Foods. Happy PMS -- that's an oxymoron!
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    (Note to self - find a good acupuncturist)

I used Zand's progesterone cream a few years ago on the advice of a GYN whom I had consulted about UAE to shrink fibroids. Only thing I found is that my periods got irregular, so I stopped. I may try it again. I got it at Whole Foods. Happy PMS -- that's an oxymoron!

LOL I never thought of that! :) I originally started on Happy PMS, which at the time I could only get from the physician I was seeing. I switched over to. I believe it's called, FemCare Progesterone Cream. For some reason, I just liked it better. Then I found an ND that RXd it for compounding and I get that done out of Washington state and shipped to me, along with the Estrogen Intravaginal cream that I use.
    Hair 3a/3b.
    I think the series of books that are being referred to here are Dr. John Lee's books. He has one, which I read, called "What your doctor may not tell you about pre (or peri - can't remember which) menopause." I know he also wrote "what your doctor may not tell you about menopause." They are DEFINITELY worth the read! :)
    Hair 3a/3b.
  • icequeenicequeen Posts: 590Registered Users
    I've heard Arbonne has a good progestrone cream.

I just went to a acupuncturist for the first time last week. I am totally needle phobic so that tells you my level of desperation to stop hair loss and feel normal again. It was a great treatment with no pain and I felt absolutely relaxed when I left. Better than a massage. She also used "ear seeds" to help increase energy which seem to have helped the past few days. I'm going again next Thursday and can't wait. Maybe this will help whatever female roller coaster I seem to be on.

Has anyone used chinese herbs? I'm looking at the Quality Life Herbs site which is mentioned in Dr. Northrups book on menopause. She mentions the Shou Wu Pian which I'm tempted to try. The acupuncturist suggested "7 treasures of beautiful hair" but admitted she wasn't that familiar with any of the herbs. I have been taking Effisoy for the past three weeks and that also seems to be helping.
    3a Colored, Layered
    Currently loving:
    Cond: CJ Strengthing, Marie Dean, CJ Curl Rehab
    Leave -In: Marie Dean Red Clover, Coconut Lime Detangler and just about the entire line, CJ Rehab
    Gelly: UFDCM, Paul Brown Geletine Goo
    Towel - HG - Curls Like Us

Always use the "Icequeen" method for products
    icequeen wrote:
    I've heard Arbonne has a good progestrone cream.

I just went to a acupuncturist for the first time last week. I am totally needle phobic so that tells you my level of desperation to stop hair loss and feel normal again. It was a great treatment with no pain and I felt absolutely relaxed when I left. Better than a massage. She also used "ear seeds" to help increase energy which seem to have helped the past few days. I'm going again next Thursday and can't wait. Maybe this will help whatever female roller coaster I seem to be on.

Has anyone used chinese herbs? I'm looking at the Quality Life Herbs site which is mentioned in Dr. Northrups book on menopause. She mentions the Shou Wu Pian which I'm tempted to try. The acupuncturist suggested "7 treasures of beautiful hair" but admitted she wasn't that familiar with any of the herbs. I have been taking Effisoy for the past three weeks and that also seems to be helping.

I've used chinese herbs, but I have them compounded by a Doctor of Oriental Medicine, and I haven't a clue what's in them, but when I use them, they work. Matter of fact, a couple of years ago due to stress, I had a lot of breakage. The herbologist whipped up some capsules of herbs for me, and at first, they upset my stomach a bit (loose bowels), but I adapted after a few days. Within a month's time, my hair had grown double the length it normally did. I should've kept taking it, but quit after my 3 month supply was done. :( Where would I find the "7 treasures of beautiful hair"? If it lists the ingredients, maybe my herbologist will know what they are. Might be worth looking into, you know? Anything to get the breakage under control (startng again) and the thinning out. :(
    Hair 3a/3b.
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I had no idea you could get over the counter progestrin creams. Do you guys think something like that would help with libido and sleep? Those are my biggest menapause issues. I googled the Happy cream but would like to hear more from people who have actually used it. Could I get it at my local health food store or should order on the net?

Thanks
    sdcurly wrote:
    I had no idea you could get over the counter progestrin creams. Do you guys think something like that would help with libido and sleep? Those are my biggest menapause issues. I googled the Happy cream but would like to hear more from people who have actually used it. Could I get it at my local health food store or should order on the net?

Thanks

Yes, they are bio-identical very low dose progesterone creams and are available at most healthfood stores (i.e. Whole Foods). They also make bio-identical very low dose estrogen creams, but it's usually best to get a full panel hormone screen done, preferably with the use of the saliva tests which are the most accurate in gauging (sp) hormonal levels.

I had mine done through bloodwork, because it's more cost effective and my insurance covered it, but I know it's not anywhere near as accurate as the saliva tests. Beggars can't be choosers, however! :(

The progesterone cream might help you a bit with the sleeping issues, though I'm afraid in my case, it's not been super helpful. However, I do know of some women who notice a significant improvement in the sleeping issues. As to the libido - hello? what's that? sex? can't remember what this is! LOL My issues were not improved with it, or much anyway, by the use of progesterone OR the intravaginal estrogen cream for the thinning and atrophy which occurs (or can occur) during the menopausal phases. I'm sorry if it's TMI. Sometimes a little testosterone actually helps with that, but again, you need your levels checked, and I haven't had a new panel done in nearly a decade, so that's probably why I've not noticed any significant improvement in my case. Really need to do it!

Also I heard that chasteberry, I believe, is supposed to be good for the libido issue. It's marketed by the name of Vitex and it comes in capsule form. Also available at Whole Foods. The thing with it is, you have to take it consistently for a minimum of three months before you supposedly start to notice any changes or improvements. I'm afraid I am REALLY bad at taking anything, supplements included, so I forget more often than I remember and that probably is a huge contributory factor in the lack of improvement. :(

Anyway, though I realize this is all based on personally experience and not medical information, I hope it helps a little.
    Hair 3a/3b.
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the info. I took testosterone years ago and noticed a huge improvement in my libido, but I got worried about possible side effects so I quit. I now take Gingko Biloba and while it does help it isn't the same as the testosterone.

Doesn't sound like I am a candidate for the cream. Appreciate the info though.
  • rubyloxxrubyloxx Posts: 89Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    my mom had surgery about 3 years ago to remove some uterine fibroids... and she ended up going through and having a hysterectomy. I remember her using the cream and taking evening primrose oil. She had luck with those. I'm pretty sure she used Arbonne's cream... I bought some myself recently, but I haven't been a ritual/faithful user-- I always forget to put it on, so I don't know how it will affect me.
    3 b/c curls with bangs.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Are you sure there is no way to remove the fibroids w/o the hysterectomy?
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte

There are quite a few methods of removing fibroids without hysterectomy:

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/3/1680_51246.htm

If your doctor is only recommending hysterectomy, get another opinion. Hysterectomy is a last resort. Yes, it's the only way to permanently get rid of fibroids, but IMO it's throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    You are correct, SBB...I didn't write that right...lol
    I was wondering in the OPs situation.:dunno:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq

There are quite a few methods of removing fibroids without hysterectomy:

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/3/1680_51246.htm

If your doctor is only recommending hysterectomy, get another opinion. Hysterectomy is a last resort. Yes, it's the only way to permanently get rid of fibroids, but IMO it's throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
    From my experience, that's what I was thinking, as well...
    0004.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file