CurlTalk

*deep conditioning help*

I really like the way coconut oil conditions my hair but it is rather pricey, almost $1 an ounce! Are there any othere oils that effectively penetrate the hair shaft?
Curly Girl Method
Curl pattern-mostly 3a with some 2c and 3b
Porosity-Low/Medium
Density-Medium
Width-Medium/Coarse
Lenght-Medium (growing out)
*Weekly heated oil treatments..evoo or evco
Cowash-suave naturals
Styler-16 tbls garnier fructis sleek & shine intensely smooth leave in conditioning cream, 10 tbls aloe vera gel, 6 tbls agave nectar, 1oz cocoa butter, 1ts vitamen E oil, 1ts evoo, 1ts apricot oil... and sometimes flax seed gel

Comments

• CurlyGrey3CurlyGrey3 Posts: 508Registered Users
    I bought it for closer to $0.50/ounce at Amazon. You can try olive oil too.
    Salt & pepper wavy mix 2B/2C
    Low to normal porosity, coarse, kinky, normal elasticity
    Current favorites:
    Low poo: Yes To Cukes Color Protection (the no sulfate one)
    Conditioners: Renpure MPHIP, CJ Smoothing Lotion, AB LI, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan/Olive, Darcy's Pumpkin
    Style: FSG, BRHG
    Pre-poo/DT: Conditioner with honey & coconut oil

iHerb discount code: PNQ285
  • caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 460Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    @CurlyGrey3: WHERE were you buying your coconut oil that it cost that much? Just curious! Trader Joe's has a whole 16-oz. jar for about $6 and it's excellent. Amazon good price too like someone else mentioned. Also try Vitacost and order Nutiva brand coconut oil. Really good prices there too.:)
  • CurlyGrey3CurlyGrey3 Posts: 508Registered Users
    I got it at Amazon for just over $8.00 for 16 ounces. I needed to fill out an order so I could get a couple of add-ons :)
    Salt & pepper wavy mix 2B/2C
    Low to normal porosity, coarse, kinky, normal elasticity
    Current favorites:
    Low poo: Yes To Cukes Color Protection (the no sulfate one)
    Conditioners: Renpure MPHIP, CJ Smoothing Lotion, AB LI, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan/Olive, Darcy's Pumpkin
    Style: FSG, BRHG
    Pre-poo/DT: Conditioner with honey & coconut oil

iHerb discount code: PNQ285
  • madalemonmadalemon Posts: 25Registered Users
    WHERE were you buying your coconut oil that it cost that much? Just curious! Trader Joe's has a whole 16-oz. jar for about $6 and it's excellent. Amazon good price too like someone else mentioned. Also try Vitacost and order Nutiva brand coconut oil. Really good prices there too.:)

I have been getting it at the pharmacies at walmart and kroger! I go through it pretty quick so it was becoming a hassle. I just read that only 3 oils have the molecular structure to penetrate the hair shaft...coconut, olive, and avacodo. I can find evoo at the store at about $4 for 20oz. so im definitely going to give that a try! :D
    Curly Girl Method
    Curl pattern-mostly 3a with some 2c and 3b
    Porosity-Low/Medium
    Density-Medium
    Width-Medium/Coarse
    Lenght-Medium (growing out)
    *Weekly heated oil treatments..evoo or evco
    Cowash-suave naturals
    Styler-16 tbls garnier fructis sleek & shine intensely smooth leave in conditioning cream, 10 tbls aloe vera gel, 6 tbls agave nectar, 1oz cocoa butter, 1ts vitamen E oil, 1ts evoo, 1ts apricot oil... and sometimes flax seed gel
  • BRoberts0107BRoberts0107 Posts: 21Registered Users
    Don't get it at the pharmacy. Look in the food oil section, or sometimes near the popcorn, or if the store has a large Natural Foods section it might be there.
    Beth Started CG May 22, 2013
    2C low porosity(?), high density, medium-coarse
    Summer dew points: 65 - 75F
    • No-poo: Suave Naturals
    • RO: Matrix Total Results Moisture
    • LI/Sealer: SheaMoisture C&H Style Milk
    • Style: AG Re:coil and Biolage Gelee
    My daily CG journal: www.curlygirlresolution.blogspot.com
  • hannabell9hannabell9 Posts: 5Registered Users
    A really good oil that I use is almond oil, i do a mask with it every week or two and i just coat my hair in it and leave it in for a few hours or overnight then wash it twice to get it all out and put conditioner on the ends! It makes my hair SO shinny soft and de frizzed i recommend it