CurlTalk

What happens to your hair if you don't use protein?

Fluffy01Fluffy01 Posts: 271Registered Users
Basically I'm 9 months post partum. I'm about to get the big chop, but I'm looking for anything I may have missed to possibly save my locks. Right now my curls are so dried out and frizzy. Before pregnancy, my hair hated protein...is it possible it wants protein now? What happens to your hair if you don't give it protein regularly?

Also, is their a protein treatment you would recommend to try out that I could get right away? (i.e.- nothing from online vendors). Thanks!

Comments

• CurlyGrey3CurlyGrey3 Posts: 508Registered Users
    What have you been using in your hair? Do you know your hair properties?
    Salt & pepper wavy mix 2B/2C
    Low to normal porosity, coarse, kinky, normal elasticity
    Current favorites:
    Low poo: Yes To Cukes Color Protection (the no sulfate one)
    Conditioners: Renpure MPHIP, CJ Smoothing Lotion, AB LI, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan/Olive, Darcy's Pumpkin
    Style: FSG, BRHG
    Pre-poo/DT: Conditioner with honey & coconut oil

iHerb discount code: PNQ285
  • Fluffy01Fluffy01 Posts: 271Registered Users
    I haven't been using anything with protein cause I was always so protein sensitive.

I believe my hair is low porosity...I don't heat style or color my hair, so it's never really damaged.
  • LynaeaLynaea Posts: 394Registered Users
    There are many brands at Sally's and Target that have protein in the regular conditioner. There is no reason protein has to come from a PT. It would help us help you if you listed what products you are currently using.
    :nemo: 2A / F / MD / LP / ?E / BSL --- CG since Dec. 2012 :nemo:

This is what I'm happiest with right now.
    Co-wash: CJ DailyFix
    Lo-poo: DermOrganic low-poo
    RO: SS Caitlin's co
    Leave-in: SheScentIt Okra Repair condish
    PT: SS Caitlin's + SS PT
    Stylers: Volumax Mega Gel, Max Green Styling Gel, DermOrganics Spray Gel
    Techniques: Plopping & Pixie Diffusing.
    :thumbdown: glycerin, honey, oils & butters :thumright: Protein!
  • NelekeNeleke Posts: 456Registered Users
    Do you know if you have fine or coarse hair?
    If you are thinking about BCing anyway, I would suggest you just try some protein before... It sounds like you are pretty desperate and like your hair almost couldn't get any worse, so why don't you just try?

What products are you using right now?
    2c: fine texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity, normal-high density
    CG since March 8th 2013
    Low Poo: Rainforest Radiance shampoo
    Conditioner: Yes to Cucumbers
    Styler: BRHG, Garnier Fructis Gel
    PT: Gliss Kur Repair & Volume

iherb.com: get a 5$ discount on orders under 40$ or a 10$ discount on orders over 40$ when you order for your first order by using the following discount code: CFH441
    I use mostly DevaCurl and the SheaMoisture Gold colored line. I recently got the Yes to Carrots orange shampoo and conditioner for normal to dry hair....love how it feels in the shower but when I get out my hair is the same once it dries. I also tried the SM curling souffle today, but I usually use Angel or the Kiss My Face grapefruit gel or perhaps the KC Styling Spritz or Custard.
    My hair is fine but I have a lot of it btw. To me it has always felt coarse though, but yet it weighs down easily (at least before pregnancy)...now I have resorted to olive oil and it barely makes a dent!
  • chloe92uschloe92us Posts: 1,203Registered Users
    Most of the Deva stuff has protein in it. But it sounds like you may need more moisture/ conditioning. When you say your hair is dry, what do you mean exactly? Does it FEEL dry to the touch, does it frizz, what makes you think it is dry? Also, how much are you conditioning it? Do you rinse it all out, do you leave some in, etc? Do you do any deep conditioning treatments (Coconut oil/ honey/ conditioner left in overnite, etc?)
    2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
    Cleanse: AIA cowash, TJ Tea Tree Condish
    Condish: JC Too Shea, Tresemme Botanique
    Stylers: flax/okra gel or KCCC + CJ PP or JC Spiralicious
    Experimenting with Got2B Ultra gel and loving it so far!
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    Fluffy01 wrote: »
    I use mostly DevaCurl and the SheaMoisture Gold colored line. I recently got the Yes to Carrots orange shampoo and conditioner for normal to dry hair....love how it feels in the shower but when I get out my hair is the same once it dries. I also tried the SM curling souffle today, but I usually use Angel or the Kiss My Face grapefruit gel or perhaps the KC Styling Spritz or Custard.

Deva products tend to contain glycerin, does that suit your dew points/ humidity at present? Also shea butter can build up, have you clarified recently or chelated if you have hard water/ go swimming?
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    I actually don't use any Deva products with protein in them. I use the One C and No Poo, Angel, ArcAngel, and the Volumizing mousse.

I've tried Argon oil and olive oil for overnight treatments.
    I use shea moisture shea butter mask. I've left olive oil in as a leave in as well as the yes to carrots conditioner before.

My hair is just very parched looking. It feels dry once it's dry and looks frizzy and puffy.
    I actually don't use any Deva products with protein in them. I use the One C and No Poo, Angel, ArcAngel, and the Volumizing mousse.

I've tried Argon oil and olive oil for overnight treatments.
    I use shea moisture shea butter mask. I've left olive oil in as a leave in as well as the yes to carrots conditioner before.

My hair is just very parched looking. It feels dry once it's dry and looks frizzy and puffy.

Deva's Angel, arcangel, the mousse, and I THINK the no poo and one C have protein, although not hydrolyzed so they're not as strong- but they are there. Usually hops and wheat.

Regardless, it sounds like you need more moisture OR you're hair is reacting to having too much glycerin in high or very low dews (humidity). Deva stuff is LOADED with glycerin. I absolutely cannot use them in the summer here in Florida, but LOVE the arc angel in the winter. What is your climate like there? Could it be that? Glycerin attracts moisture from the air, so in high humidity conditions, it attracts "too much" and causes frizz.
    I'm in South Carolina, so high dewpoints and some humidity.

I did try a day or two sans glycerin, but I didn't notice any improvement....do I need to go longer?

I also quite the deva stuff a week ago and have been using yes to carrots ever since. Still no improvement.

Thanks!
    I'm in South Carolina, so high dewpoints and some humidity.

I did try a day or two sans glycerin, but I didn't notice any improvement....do I need to go longer?

Are you using any conditioner on your hair after washing (leave in or just your regular condish?)

What other styling products do you have without glycerin?

Do you have any gels/ jellies? ETA: I just noticed you used the SM curling souffle today- how did that work for you? It has a lot of glycerin, though, too so if that's the issue- it probably didn't work out so well...
    I think I tried leaving in the Yes to Carrots one day then generally just a bit of olive oil, but most days I don't leave anything in.

When I was doing the sans glycerin experiment I was using the KCCC. I don't think I have anything else that doesn't have it in there....my Kiss My Face grapefruit gel has hylauronic acid, which I think is along the same lines, so it wouldn't count.
    By the way, I'm currently thinking of trying the Curl Junkie sample sets for conditioner and styling...do you think those products might help? I see you use some of them. I honestly don't know what all your acronyms mean in your signature, but I know those lol. Sounds like your hair could be similar to mine when my hair is behaving. :evil4: :D
    I don't think your issue is with protein. I think it's an issue with moisture/ humectant balance in these humid months.

Do you have some coconut oil at home? You could try an overnight deep conditioning treatment with coconut oil, mixed with some of your conditioner. Leave in overnight, then wash it out in the morning.

Then, I would experiment with glycerin free products for a week. The Kiss My Face gel & KCCC don't have any, so you could use those. But you may need a harder holding gel to tame the frizz, in my opinion. The Dep Sport gel @ Walgreens is cheap and glycerin free. LA Looks Sport or mega gel do have glycerin, but they're far down on the list and don't give me problems for some reason.

Not everyone is glycerin sensitive in high humidity, so it may not be that. But what you're describing (frizz) is what happens for me.
    Oh and on the SM curling souffle....my hair is still drying cause I bun it wet most days since I have little fingers that like to pull my hair. I did ironically just let it down after she pulled my bun half down while falling asleep...she can't fall asleep without pulling my hair...it's frustrating! She's not breaking it off too much, though...thank goodness. But the point is that it will hopefully be dry soon!
    You know I've tried coconut oil before, and it never has done much for me....weird I know. Olive oil has worked better for me than coconut oil ever did! I guess I could leave that in overnight? Does it have to be mixed with conditioner you think? I try to keep my hair mostly dry and in a top knot at night cause little one sleeps with the knot in her hand...yes we have a weird cosleeping arrangement but for right now mama's sleep is more important than correcting her weird sleep habits lol.
    Thanks again!
    We were typing at the same time! :)

Most of the products in my signature have to be purchased online, so I was avoiding suggesting them since you mentioned you want to purchase on the groun.

I have KCCC but I don't use it regularly- for me, it makes my hair feel producty regardless of the amount I use even though I like the way it looks.

CJ Curls in a bottle (CIAB) is a serum-like product I use to smooth on frizzies, or use under a hard hold gel like LA Looks.

CJ PP is pattern pusha- it's a glycerin free medium hold gel I'm experimenting with and like so far.

I just did a protein treatment this morning- CJ Repair Me- holy curls and shine batman!!!!

LALSG/MG are the LA Looks gels I mentioned above.

Okra gel is my absolute favorite hair product of all time, there's a recipe thread going if you have the time to make a batch- it might be your saving grace.

I almost always use 2-3 layers of products every day. 1) is a leave in conditioner (Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Shea Moisture Milk, KCKT). 2) is a "curl enhancer" like okra gel, Uncle Funky's Curly Magic, Spiral Solutions Curl enhancing jelly, and 3) a medium to hard hold gel on top (LA Looks, CJ Pattern Pusha, Dep Sport, Spiral Solutions Firm Hold Gel).

The last bit of gel is what really defies the frizz and keeps the clumps intact throughout the day. The curl enhancer layer really just clumps my hair together. It took me a while to get here.
    Hmm, if you're cosleeping then I don't think I'd do the oil thing overnight, lol! Okay, forget about the overnight DT's for now!

I remember those days!!!!! They get better!!!!
    I like mixing oil with conditioner because it makes it MUCH easier for me to distribute and I think it makes it easier for me to wash out. I've had success with shorter (30 min to 2 hours) prepoos of conditioner, coconut oil, and honey (but skip the honey if you're avoiding humectants).

BTW, we coslept too - nothing weird about it. :) I loved that time with my little ones, even if I was sleep deprived.
    Current favorites:
    Conditioners: Renpure MPHIP, CJ Smoothing Lotion, AB LI, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan/Olive, Darcy's Pumpkin

Awesome...thank you! I actually just wanted to purchase some "protein"-like today and see if that made any difference at all in my hair, which is why i said a ground store. I picked up a SM moisture mist at target with some protein in it and a Yes To Carrots Healthy Hair conditioner with glycoproteins. If my hair is even more funkified tomorrow then at least we will have ruled out proteins don't you think? I mean I feel like I should try one round just to see what happens.

I think I'll order the curl junkie sample packs and see how they do....so your hair likes their protein treatment huh?

I'll have to check out those others like the okra gel. I mean I would like to wear my hair down and have it styled, but most days I wet bun it. It just bugs me at the end of the day how parched it looks and feels. I would love to have the option of wearing it down without encouraging the curls for a nice loose wavy look you know?

I took a few pics since my hair is about 80% dry...I will try to get them up...they are hella embarrassing though lol.
    Okay here it is...after wet bunning...about 80% dry or so:

IMAG4040_zpse10b40a6.jpg

IMAG4039_zps7e259294.jpg

IMAG4037_zpsc7965388.jpg
    I thought you said they were embarrassing!? lol. I can see the frizz you're talking about at the ends though. I think I see harder holding gels in your future. Might be a product application issue too- how do you apply everything?
    I don't see much frizz except at the bottom. When was your last trim? Your hair doesn't look anything like your description of it. :)
    Current favorites:

Well since I bun it...I just smooth the product from head to ends and comb through it and pull it up. I think it's more of a "hair health" issue though you know? I can see hard gels if I was going to wear it down, but it's the fact that my hair looks like it seriously needs some TLC that bothers me you know? I really want to correct that before I worry about wearing it down curly.
    CurlyGrey3 wrote: »
    I don't see much frizz except at the bottom. When was your last trim? Your hair doesn't look anything like your description of it. :)

I got my hair cut about two or three weeks ago. Once it's completely dry though it definitely puffs out a little bit more.
    LOL....it's embarrassing because I think my hair should look like this all the time haha...

Google Image Result for /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mahanomi.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F02%2Fcurly-hair.jpg" class="Popup
    Perhaps you should adjust your expectations a tiny bit :)

Seriously, your hair doesn't look that bad. I think you need to spend some time learning about adjusting your routine to the dew point, but you may not get rid of all the frizz during the high dew point season. There are many threads and articles about it. For example:

Humidity, Humectants and the Dew Point
    Pedaheh's Hair Blog: Humectants and Dew Points
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/157051-calling-all-curlies-super-humid-locations-lets-share-high-dew-tips.html
    Current favorites:

Yea, me too!!!! ROTFL!!!!! :toothy10:
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    I don't think it's a fair test, you are combing and wet bunning then wanting clumped curls that would need to be diffused or air dried. Combing separates curls, up dos can easily cause the ends to get bent out of shape.

Maybe more conditioner and styler at the ends, longer plop to speed up air drying time, mini claw clips or an Alice band to hold the front out of your little one's grasp?
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect