CurlTalk

Can we compare hairballs?

This may be the strangest thread I've ever started but I hope someone's up for it besides me. Firstly, I typically finger detangle my hair when it's full of conditioner and I'm in the shower. Whatever loose hairs catch on my fingers I collect and set aside because I've had plumbing problems before on account of my shedding where I had to physically remove the hair buildup that had collected in my drain. It was. . . really icky. So I now I just gather one clean hairball per wash and toss it in the trash afterwards. But I've been marveling lately at how little hair I lose since going CG and with (GENTLE!) co-washing. My hairball is consistently the size of quarter every three days. So I snapped a picture of the latest two hairballs which I saved for demo. I'm wondering it's the same for everyone. I was a major shedder before CG. Now I have to say even though my hair looks a fraction of the size it used to since it's all curly and clumpy, I'm not. I keep more hair than I lose, for sure.

For reference, I have coarse, porous BSL hair and I detangle 2-3x a week.
3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

Comments

• kurlygurlykurlygurly Posts: 644Registered Users
    Fun! I'll post my next hairball...lol!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using CurlTalk App
    3b-ish... normal to low porosity....med. texture
    Wash: Desert Essence Coconut shampoo, Acure argon shampoo
    Deep Trestment: Nature's Nectars deep conditioner/styler
    Condition: Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Nature's Gate pomegranate sunflower
    LEAVE-IN:Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Natures Gate pomegranate sunflower
    STYLE: Nature's Nectars Sweet Shea butter blend, Ecostyler gel
    hemp oil, jojoba oil
    www.naturesnectars.net
  • JessiebananaJessiebanana Posts: 940Banned Users
    Yeah...this is weird and not good weird.
    3C/Fine to Medium/Low Porosity/High Density

:love5:MoistureMoistureMoisture:love5:

Low Poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
    RO/DC: DB Pumpkin Seed Curl Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: Queen Helene Sculpturing Gel & Glaze

No Salts, No Waxes, No Butters, No Heavy Oils
    No ACV, No Saponified Oils, Protein Sensitive
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    I would participate but we don't have US coinage in the rest of the world!
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • anonymous_133347anonymous_133347 Posts: 1,426Registered Users
    Yeah...this is weird and not good weird.

Not gonna lie. . . that's not the first time I've heard that. :albino:

CG since Nov. 2012

Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
    Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper

* = HG

I would participate but we don't have US coinage in the rest of the world!

DOH! (slaps forehead) Smart, Dusa. How about we compare it to the head of a teaspoon? You could use anything for point of reference actually. So long as it's commonplace and ubiquitous from household to household. Think easily discernible. Oh, and not currency. I already threw those last two hairballs away and they're in the kitchen trash and I'm cooking father's day dinner so I don't feel like scooping them out, cleaning them up, and comparing them to said teaspoon. I think I'll take a picture of Tuesday's hairball with a teaspoon next to it though.

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

• wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,061Registered Users
    lol, Dusa you crack me up!
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • Always@nightAlways@night Posts: 566Registered Users
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1371439486.754402.jpg
    This is an old hair ball, but they are all usually around this size. My hair is very fine, and doesn't shed much unless something is off with my diet or products.
    wavydaze wrote: »
    lol, Dusa you crack me up!

Well, wavydaze, you light up my life. ;-)

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

This is an old hair ball, but they are all usually around this size. My hair is very fine, and doesn't shed much unless something is off with my diet or products.

Wow. Your hairball is. . . adorable? Seriously, it needs a bib and bonnet. My hairball is Godzilla compared to yours. :sad1: And here I am all pleased as punch that my hairball is comparable to a quarter when your hairball is like a pea.

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

• wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,061Registered Users
    I was going to say, lucky you! That's super tiny!
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users
    My hair balls are now pea sized too, but I was a MAJOR shedder before I stopped heat styling and changing my hair products. So the pea sized hair ball was a welcome surprise.
    curlicious, are you fine haired as well? Just curious if a hairball's size depends on the width of the individual hair.

(Subtext: OH PLEASE DEAR GOD SAY IT'S SO! ! ! :confused5::blob6::silent:)

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

• CurlyGrey3CurlyGrey3 Posts: 508Registered Users
    Dusa - mine are more like yours, if not larger. I have coarse (I think) and dense hair. I'll have to post one next wash day.

I rate this thread good weird :)
    Salt & pepper wavy mix 2B/2C
    Low to normal porosity, coarse, kinky, normal elasticity
    Current favorites:
    Low poo: Yes To Cukes Color Protection (the no sulfate one)
    Conditioners: Renpure MPHIP, CJ Smoothing Lotion, AB LI, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan/Olive, Darcy's Pumpkin
    Style: FSG, BRHG
    Pre-poo/DT: Conditioner with honey & coconut oil

iHerb discount code: PNQ285
  • HouseofcurlsHouseofcurls Posts: 322Registered Users
    Holy crap! I'm losing WAY more hair than any of you guys. Like, by a lot. It's usually covering at least the whole drain thing,I have to move it with my toe for the water to drain. Then there's all the hair I lose while putting in my product! Is the grossest thing you ever saw. I already washed today but in a few days I can try and remember to post.
    Rae ~ 2c/3a ~
    Wife to a 3c Curly Guy
    Mom to a straight and a curly.

"The Longer the Hair, the Bigger the Blob."

Porous, very dense but fine hair. Medium everything else.
    CoWash: Tressemee naturals
    RO: Generic biolage and generic joico k-pak
    LI: Tresemee
    Miss Jessie's Pillow soft curls, diffuse 50%, add KCCC and diffuse to 80%.
    Always wash upside down.
  • chloe92uschloe92us Posts: 1,203Registered Users
    Holy crap! I'm losing WAY more hair than any of you guys. Like, by a lot. It's usually covering at least the whole drain thing,I have to move it with my toe for the water to drain. Then there's all the hair I lose while putting in my product! Is the grossest thing you ever saw. I already washed today but in a few days I can try and remember to post.

I'm with you- after I wash, I have to remove the "squirrel" (my boys call it that) so the water drains. But there's no way in hell I'm posting a photo! I've been watching this thread with morbid curiosity though, lol. My hair ball creeps me out.
    2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
    Cleanse: AIA cowash, TJ Tea Tree Condish
    Condish: JC Too Shea, Tresemme Botanique
    Stylers: flax/okra gel or KCCC + CJ PP or JC Spiralicious
    Experimenting with Got2B Ultra gel and loving it so far!
  • Always@nightAlways@night Posts: 566Registered Users
    dusalocks wrote: »

Wow. Your hairball is. . . adorable? Seriously, it needs a bib and bonnet. My hairball is Godzilla compared to yours. :sad1: And here I am all pleased as punch that my hairball is comparable to a quarter when your hairball is like a pea.

Lol, that is to be expected with the differences in length and thickness.. I think lol. If my hair was still this length
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1371480562.780057.jpg (sorry for the bad pic quality.)
    I'm sure my hairballs would be a lot bigger.:)
  • kurlygurlykurlygurly Posts: 644Registered Users
    You look like Vivica A. Fox

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    3b-ish... normal to low porosity....med. texture
    Wash: Desert Essence Coconut shampoo, Acure argon shampoo
    Deep Trestment: Nature's Nectars deep conditioner/styler
    Condition: Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Nature's Gate pomegranate sunflower
    LEAVE-IN:Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Natures Gate pomegranate sunflower
    STYLE: Nature's Nectars Sweet Shea butter blend, Ecostyler gel
    hemp oil, jojoba oil
    www.naturesnectars.net
    I'm not sure if my hair is fine because I have quite a bit of thick hair. However, I can say that the cg method has helped strengthen my hair. I bought a tangle tease brush & still not a lot of hair. But when I use the brush, I use a steady hand & don't yank my hair. Even when I use a comb I do the same thing.
    Dusalocks also my hair absorbs EVERYTHING I put in it & floats in water. But I'm extra gentle with my hair since I can't quite ditch the comb & brush.
    I only comb or use my tangle brush when my hair is soaking wet with conditioner. I use my fingers when my hair is damp.
  • RizosMioRizosMio Posts: 141Registered Users
    The more hair one has, the more hair one would shed I believe. So the higher the density, the more shed. Also the longer one takes to detangle/remove them, the more shed.

This hairball is from March but it's usually this much. I have high density and I detangle every 7 days. I also do so extensively, with my fingers throughout wash day and lastly with a denman.

Below is the hairball and what it looks like when baggied, when I sent my shed hair to be analyzed. I probably didn't get all of my shed in there but fairly close!
  • pinksugarpinksugar Posts: 2,346Registered Users
    chloe92us wrote: »

I'm with you- after I wash, I have to remove the "squirrel" (my boys call it that) so the water drains. But there's no way in hell I'm posting a photo! I've been watching this thread with morbid curiosity though, lol. My hair ball creeps me out.

I'm completely with both of you on this!
    curlicious, how is a tangle teaser different from a regular brush? just curious.

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

RizosMio wrote: »
    The more hair one has, the more hair one would shed I believe. So the higher the density, the more shed. Also the longer one takes to detangle/remove them, the more shed.

This hairball is from March but it's usually this much. I have high density and I detangle every 7 days. I also do so extensively, with my fingers throughout wash day and lastly with a denman.

Below is the hairball and what it looks like when baggied, when I sent my shed hair to be analyzed. I probably didn't get all of my shed in there but fairly close!

Okay, this makes me feel better. I've just got a lot of long thick hair it seems. It does take me a good seven minutes maybe to detangle lately. I don't mind though. Better than spending ten minutes trying to detangle daily like back when I was abusing my hair.

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

P.S. Morbid curiosity is what this thread is all about. When I was asking people several months ago how much hair they lost on average and they were describing their hairballs, all I was thinking was, "Man, I wish I had a visual..."

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

• RizosMioRizosMio Posts: 141Registered Users
    I don't see the issue with showing a hairball, we show the hair on our heads afterall...what's the difference? Lol!

Dusa, if your hair is still as lengthy as it is in your avy...your shed should look like chewbacca. :lol: Long hair will appear like a lot just because it goes on forever. It's actually hard to compare our shed since we all have different lengths, densities and detangling schedules/methods.
  • shellyRN07swavyshellyRN07swavy Posts: 309Registered Users
    My prayers have been answered!!!! I have been debating with myself on starting a thread about this. I always think" I wonder how Much other curlies loose". I have a ton of loss also :/, bigger than a quater. I'm not sure why it's so difficult for me to detangle my hair. I started to smooth conditioner on first and let it sit for several minutes before I finger comb. I'll post my squirrel next time I wash, probably Tuesday night.
    2b/c CG since 8/12
    I have low porosity and fine/med texture. Easily weighed down and VERY frizzy crown, with straighter under layers

Low-poo:TJ TTT, CJ GCS
    LI/RO/DC: CK Satin Roots,Sevi Pumpkin, SSI Okra reconstructor, CJ SAC,CJ RM
    Stylers: AG Recoil, JC SS
    Jellies: CK Coil Jam, Okra gel(HG)
    Gel: JC CC, Ouidad H&H gel, Ouidad moisture lock gel

Hair loves moisture:love3: protein.
    MUST Pixie diffuse.

My hair dose NOT like oils, butters or polyquats:twisted: Or glycerin in high dews
  • NelekeNeleke Posts: 456Registered Users
    Hi curlies!
    I'm having a really nice hairballmoment :p
    The last 2 washes my hairballsize was reduced to like half my hairballs I had before (in other words: it seems like I've been shedding less). I don't know yet if my hair will continue like that (would hope so).

Since the last couple of weeks three things have changed, what would be causing the "less shedding"? (the smaller hairballs?)
    - dews: went up to around 70 last week: could that make a difference in shedding?
    - stress: my worst exams are over since last week, I know you can shed more hair when having stress, but I've been shedding the same amount of hair since March, every time the same hairballsize
    - protein: I didn't really use any protein before I got my hairanalysisresults (was scared), they told me my hair was fine textured, so I seriously upped the protein. For the last 2 weeks I've done 2 PTs and been using a proteinconditioner as a LI with every wash
    2c: fine texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity, normal-high density
    CG since March 8th 2013
    Low Poo: Rainforest Radiance shampoo
    Conditioner: Yes to Cucumbers
    Styler: BRHG, Garnier Fructis Gel
    PT: Gliss Kur Repair & Volume

iherb.com: get a 5$ discount on orders under 40$ or a 10$ discount on orders over 40$ when you order for your first order by using the following discount code: CFH441
    Neleke, my money's on the protein because if you were going without your individual strands might've been weakened. I'm happy for you!

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

I'll post my squirrel next time I wash, probably Tuesday night.

Wow, I'm so pleased other people are getting something out of this. I'm also quite tempted to change the name of this thread to "Let's compare shower squirrels!" for frivolous reasons. But it wouldn't make much sense. . .

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG