Dry skin problems

Trixie1979Trixie1979 Posts: 364Registered Users
In winter my skin really drys out and was wondering if there was anyway to moisturise it. I have been using a sea salt scrub fro the Body Shop on my face and hand cream afterwords. I don't want to go out and buy some really expensive stuff.....

The spots that are really dry are my forhead, sides of my nose and under my eyes to my cheek bones. Any info would be great!!

TIA :)
p6d5w.gif

6y2v5.gif

Comments

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,734Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    don't exfoliate too often! this is a common mistake that people make for dry skin.

if you feel you need to rub off dry skin, use a washcloth soaked in body temperature water, otherwise, use a scrub no more than twice a week.

when my skin gets really dry [especially with the weather we've been having], i wash with Noxema. and the generics that you'd get at Loblaws or Shoppers Drug Mart are fine too.

but i would switch to a face cream as the formulations are different. Shoppers has some inexpensive generics and Avon [if you know someone who sells it] often has sales on their creams at this time of year.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • MzShvyMzShvy Posts: 121Registered Users
    Aveeno lotions and washes always work well for my skin. Most lotions make me breakout, but I've never had that problem with Aveeno. Their Positiviley Radiant Scrub is very gentle, and actually helps with dry skin. It's good stuff. I have to wash daily or I get zits, so if you have that problem, and need to wash daily I would definitley check this stuff out.
    MzShvy

"If we get a little crazy, blame it on the alcohol." Pat Green
  • SpiralCurlsSpiralCurls Posts: 5Registered Users
    I use body butters when my skin is dry. sally's has a great smelling one called mango vera for like 3.99 or so.
    3b fine, long hair with tons of spirals
    Currently using: Aussie Sprunch Spray, Biolage Hydrating Shampoo, Biolage Ultra Hydrating Balm, and Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    when my skin is dry i wash with nivea cream cleanser and at night put on the nivea night renewal cream. it really seems to help with the flaking and itchiness i get.
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    For dry skin a really effective and affordable solution is Vitamin E oil. It's a natural vitamin that skin thrives on and in oil form is instant moisture. Just dab or rub it on any dry areas. Also I've found that the quicker my skin absorbs it the dryer my skin is. Each time I use it on a problem area it takes a little while longer to absorb, so I know it's working. Plus for those w/combination skin, oily and dry, it doesn't seem to cause breakouts and it actually helps mend the skin in a break-out area, reduce redness, flakiness, etc.

I might also give vaseline a try, start out in a small area and see what happens. The stuff sounds like it can moisturize almost anywhere. HTH :D
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
  • curls&swirlscurls&swirls Posts: 70Registered Users
    I just did something that really worked for me. I mixed table salt with olive oil in the shower, started with my face and worked my way down to my feet. My skin has never looked better. If your skin is irritated, you might want to use sugar instead as salt would likely sting. This is probably something that everyone else already knew, but I was really impressed with how it turned out.
    Don't keep up with the Joneses....drag them down to your level--Quentin Crisp
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    I just did something that really worked for me. I mixed table salt with olive oil in the shower, started with my face and worked my way down to my feet. My skin has never looked better. If your skin is irritated, you might want to use sugar instead as salt would likely sting. This is probably something that everyone else already knew, but I was really impressed with how it turned out.

That sounds really cool. I haven't heard about it atleast. It seems that a lot of the time it's the really simple stuff that works so well, two, maybe even one indgredient solutions. Thanks for sharing, I'm gonna try that :)
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
  • msrandeemsrandee Posts: 61Registered Users
    For dry skin a really effective and affordable solution is Vitamin E oil. It's a natural vitamin that skin thrives on and in oil form is instant moisture. Just dab or rub it on any dry areas. Also I've found that the quicker my skin absorbs it the dryer my skin is. Each time I use it on a problem area it takes a little while longer to absorb, so I know it's working. Plus for those w/combination skin, oily and dry, it doesn't seem to cause breakouts and it actually helps mend the skin in a break-out area, reduce redness, flakiness, etc.

I use vitamin e oil along with jojoba oil because the jojoba opens your pores so your skin can absorb the vitamin e oil. I've heard that vitamin e oil alone will block your pores cause its molecules are too large - not sure if this is true. I've used vitamin e oil alone with no probs, but the jojoba along with it makes my skin feel softer than just vitamin e oil alone.
  • curlyjo310curlyjo310 Posts: 11Registered Users
    Winter is my worst time and I moisturize a lot and use hydrating soap in the shower. I do like the ideas that I have seen (and will try some myself) but what I wanted to pipe in is that I set the humidifier in my room at night. I know it helps with sinus but I also notice that the moisture in the air makes my skin not so dry. I can tell in the morning if I forget to put it on but for me it helps. The air has been so dry this winter that I have started leaving it on in the evening when I am at home.
    Just thought I would add that!!!
    LOL
    CURLS HAVE MORE FUN!!!!
    POO-LESS SINCE 1-7-04
    Curly 3-A/B Should length
    Back to Basics Condish/PM- cream/Whey Leave in Condish
    JessiCurl products: Cleansing Cream & Deep Condish (bi-weekly)
    Potions as needed from CG book!!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    the best lotion for dry skin...even severely dry skin like I get in the winter is Euchrin. They also have a clenser wash you can use. It's in a white bottle and costs about 10 bucks. It's worth the money because you do not have to use much. You can get it at the grocery store also.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file