CurlTalk

Does wearing 2-strand twists help "train" your hair to curl?

The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
I read somewhere on nc.com that it does. It was rec'd for sections that don't curl right to get them to curl.

Thoughts?
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• LoveInBetweenLoveInBetween Posts: 392Registered Users
    I do this to my bangs since it's the first to lose it's curl as the days go on.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    Curl Routine
    Co: As I am Coconut CoWash,VO5 Claifying Conditioner
    DC: Macadamia Repair Masque
    LI: KCKT, Suave Naturals Coconut
    Style Creme: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Gel: KCCC, Eco Styler Argan Oil
    Sealer: EVCO, EVOO

3b/3c, High Desity, High Porosity, Medium Texture, BSL
    ""Live by the sun, love by the moon"

• KiraSavannahKiraSavannah Posts: 423Registered Users
    I do this to my bangs since it's the first to lose it's curl as the days go on.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    Has it helped? I have the same problem.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App
    CG/LOC Method's 3b/3c hair SL-Curly/ Goal-MBL Curly:)
    Weekly Poo/Low Poo: some Shea M Poo.
    Weekly Deep Treat-Dermorganic Intensive Hair Masque
    Bi-Weekly RO:Tresseme Naturals - V.Smooth/N.Moisture
    Daily Leave in:Shea Moisture Extra Moisture Detangler
    Daily Oil: Olive Oil & Conut Oil Mix
    Daily Styler: Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk
  • nesha.berrynesha.berry Posts: 44Registered Users
    I've never heard of this but i do two strand twist a lot since the humidity and also because my hair shrinkage is a killer this gives me the length i want but thanks for the information
    Hair Type: 3a-ends 3b-front 3c-back
    BC: 4/10/2012
    co-wash method

• SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Posts: 1,082Registered Users
    I personally don't believe it trains the hair to curl, but it manipulates it to curl a certain way. That is my opinion of course since I don't know the deep science behind hair in general.
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    Nope. 2-strand twists don't "train" the hair to curl anymore than rollers do.

Any physical manipulation that doesn't include a specific chemical interaction with the hair, will not alter the basic structure of the hair permanently. The only thing that's being done when someone curls, braids or in some way bends the hair strands, is strictly a temporary form of manipulation.

That said, one guess as to why someone could think 2STs "curl train": If the hair is kept in twists most of the time, some part of it is being protected from the elements and from handling, and there'll likely be less breakage and (likely) more growth will be retained.

That could result in healthier hair that is both longer and more manageable. I recall how healthy my hair was after taking it out of braids I'd kept in for a couple months. It looked shinier and curlier than usual.

That said, I can't stand it anymore ... have to tell you: I loooooove that vid clip you have in your signature LOL It makes me laugh every time I see it :toothy10:
  • kejournerkejourner Posts: 180Registered Users
    Well my curls look best after washing my twists.so I can see why one might think the twists train the curl I think it's because the hair is already clumped together and that makes for a more uniform curl
    last perm 4/07, BC 3/08, currently trying to grow out hair.

Check out my fotki www.fotki.com/kejourner
    no password required
  • bobbybobby Posts: 669Registered Users
    I personally don't believe it trains the hair to curl, but it manipulates it to curl a certain way. That is my opinion of course since I don't know the deep science behind hair in general.

I tried finger twisting my hair a few times but didn't notice any difference. I'm more of a tousler and scruncher.
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"
  • SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Posts: 1,082Registered Users
    bobby wrote: »

I tried finger twisting my hair a few times but didn't notice any difference. I'm more of a tousler and scruncher.

I enjoy scrunching too, because it manipulates more of a clumpy curl pattern. I have always wanted to try twists but I do not have the patience lol.
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
  • bellaviebellavie Posts: 64Registered Users
    My experience is that is does help the hair regain curl memory. My hair was straight from flat irons and wearing my hair wrapped (I used to wrap my hair around my head and let it dry straight) When I started to wear it curly even with hair cuts and deep treatments it would curl at the roots but not the ends. It took two strand twists for a month or 2 to get back that curl memory.

I didn't try it sooner because I thought it was cheating (thats just what I thought)... I wanted to love my curls without protective styling.

But I had to break down and do it and now I have a whole new perspective,
    3b to 4a?

My Routine
    Pre-Poo:Conditioner & Avocado Oil or Jamaican Black Caster Oil or Coconut Oil
    Co-wash - One Hair for Dry Hair
    Moisturize - Coco curls or beija flore creme brulee
    Leave In - Shea Moisture Enhancing Smoothie
    Gel - Kinky Curly Custard, Deva Spray Gel
    Seal ends - Castor Oil

Weekly Routine:
    Deep Conditioner - Moroccan Oil Deep Conditioner or Caster Oil & Coconut Oil

Last Relaxer May 2006

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fthereddragonfly.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup