CurlTalk

What type of guys like curly hair?

AmaliexAmaliex Posts: 4Registered Users
So lets face it. More guys like straight hair than curly hair. Luckily, when I was talking to my crush, he said he likes girls with curly hair! Maybe its because everybody in my school straightens their hair -_-. Even so, every other guy I know likes straight hair! Do guys like curly hair? What makes curly hair special to them? Is curly hair even attractive? Thanks! ^-^

Comments

• msshana81msshana81 Posts: 3Registered Users
    Ok I hope I can answer this one correctly. I was told it's the confidence of the woman that makes her attractive. Hair, her shape, style & intelligence are extra features that add to the her soul's beauty.
    Amaliex wrote: »
    So lets face it. More guys like straight hair than curly hair. Luckily, when I was talking to my crush, he said he likes girls with curly hair! Maybe its because everybody in my school straightens their hair -_-. Even so, every other guy I know likes straight hair! Do guys like curly hair? What makes curly hair special to them? Is curly hair even attractive? Thanks! ^-^

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlTalk App
  • AmaliexAmaliex Posts: 4Registered Users
    I have heard guys say that as well. I guess I just have to love my curls!
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users
    What guys are you talking about? The easily influenced ones who believe what they see on a Pantene commercial. Curly hair looks unhealthy and messy, and with one use of this shampoo and conditioner... It's magically sleek, straight, healthy, and manageable? Yeah, those guys typically like straight hair (and fake tans).

Most of the guys I know love curly hair as well. I know several who prefer it because it "drives them wild".
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Many guys like curly hair. My husband much prefers mine curly and doesn't like it when I straighten it.
    ehLB.jpg
  • CurlyGrey3CurlyGrey3 Posts: 508Registered Users
    My hubby likes my hair (and my curly daughter's) the curlier and bigger the better!
    Salt & pepper wavy mix 2B/2C
    Low to normal porosity, coarse, kinky, normal elasticity
    Current favorites:
    Low poo: Yes To Cukes Color Protection (the no sulfate one)
    Conditioners: Renpure MPHIP, CJ Smoothing Lotion, AB LI, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan/Olive, Darcy's Pumpkin
    Style: FSG, BRHG
    Pre-poo/DT: Conditioner with honey & coconut oil

iHerb discount code: PNQ285
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,498Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    smart ones!

:D
    My blog:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flabellatestarossa.blogspot.ca%2F" class="Popup

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    I have found that men really love a total package. They don't know if they like curly or straight hair, long hair or short, makeup or natural, fake tan or not, etc. They only know when the total package looks good.
  • Purplecurls17Purplecurls17 Posts: 152Registered Users
    Guys that are worth talking to ;)
    My boyfriend, my dad, and My guy friends find me unique with my curly hair. It's a confidence thing! High school was all about straightening your hair or wearing it up. Now I like my wild looking waves. It sets me apart in a crowd. One of my regular male customers asked if my hair was natural. When I said yes, he told me it was beautiful and to never straighten it lol!
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,389Registered Users
    I'm not sure what poll was used to "determine" that most guys prefer straight hair, but I seriously doubt it was valid. In other words, it's most likely untrue :)
    Guys that are worth talking to ;)
    My boyfriend, my dad, and My guy friends find me unique with my curly hair. It's a confidence thing! High school was all about straightening your hair or wearing it up. Now I like my wild looking waves. It sets me apart in a crowd. One of my regular male customers asked if my hair was natural. When I said yes, he told me it was beautiful and to never straighten it lol!

See, that's where it was different for me. There were more curls K-12. The straight hair trend started after I graduated, and has continued for some time. Honestly, people didn't care one way or another. I am 37 and have only straightened my hair a handful of times, but I've naturally had both, and I like curly better. I never heard of anyone being made fun of because they had curls, or straight hair. A large number of men I know and have dated are curlies as well. A they rocked the long curls, or the big bushy do's. I did not encounter a hair bias until I spoke to some guys in their 20's, over the past 8 years. They all like that "reality" tv look. I feel for them. They limit themselves, in several ways.

I have to agree with E. I would say the survey is untrue, or they are only asking one type of mind set.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    In fact, the only women who have ever made snide remarks about my hair (or curly hair in general being naturally nasty and unhealthy) have been between the ages of 20 and 30. Idk. It was a non issue. It is still a non issue for the majority of people I know.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users
    Men seem to have started noticing me more since I started wearing my big curly hair loose. And I feel comfortable with my hair probably for the first time in my life, so I agree it's more about confidence and the "total package".
  • HoneycurlsHoneycurls Posts: 1,889Registered Users
    I have found that men really love a total package. They don't know if they like curly or straight hair, long hair or short, makeup or natural, fake tan or not, etc. They only know when the total package looks good.
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    I'm not sure what poll was used to "determine" that most guys prefer straight hair, but I seriously doubt it was valid. In other words, it's most likely untrue :)
    Dedachan wrote: »
    Men seem to have started noticing me more since I started wearing my big curly hair loose. And I feel comfortable with my hair probably for the first time in my life, so I agree it's more about confidence and the "total package".

All of this, esp the bolded; otherwise, fake boobs wouldn't fly. Even those guys who say they "don't like" them, like them on some level.
    OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
    :lurk: Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me! :confused5::laughing5::jocolor:
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users
    Yup! My hubby prefers my hair curly... Most of the men I've dated have. When I straighten my hair...only women complement that they like it. LOL! I guess I radiate with my curly hair..not so much when it's straight.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users

This is generally true but there are a lot of particular men out there that like certain features on women(hair, body type, etc). I think smarter men like curly hair ;).
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users
    Most of the compliments I get about my hair are from men. Some women like it, except my parents. I love my curly hair because its rather liberating. I think it's a confidence thing & some creativity styling that makes a woman feel like a million bucks.
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users
    I have found a lot of men like curly hair. What they don't like is "wild" hair, which unfortunately mine tends to be if I don't straighten it.
    3b/c
  • CurlyGrey3CurlyGrey3 Posts: 508Registered Users
    munchkin wrote: »
    I have found a lot of men like curly hair. What they don't like is "wild" hair, which unfortunately mine tends to be if I don't straighten it.

My husband likes mine better when it's wild :)
    Salt & pepper wavy mix 2B/2C
    Low to normal porosity, coarse, kinky, normal elasticity
    Current favorites:
    Low poo: Yes To Cukes Color Protection (the no sulfate one)
    Conditioners: Renpure MPHIP, CJ Smoothing Lotion, AB LI, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan/Olive, Darcy's Pumpkin
    Style: FSG, BRHG
    Pre-poo/DT: Conditioner with honey & coconut oil

iHerb discount code: PNQ285
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The old attractiveness research found that men consider curly hair to be more feminine and attractive. I guess it was conducted in the mid 80s?

Most men I've met love my hair. I've only heard one guy say they'd wonder how it would look straightened and that was a shocker. Exes didn't like my hair straight. Current bf has never seen it straight and thinks it'll look bad. Truth is I've been lazy to straighten it over the last couple of years but I like the change up for a day or two, then I get bored.

I've only heard one guy say he prefers straight hair and it was a friend in college. He also preferred blondes so he's that type. Naturally I don't attract those types so I don't have issues with my hair. Now my butt on the otherhand...le sigh..
  • Spectre628Spectre628 Posts: 28Registered Users
    I dunno I like curly hair on girls, its sexy and definitely nice to see considering most girls I see have straight hair. My girlfriend has straight hair but when she curls it I go bananas.
    -3A/Medium/Low porosity

-Cg since 01/2012
    -Growing out since 11/2011

-Co-wash: Suave Naturals
    It hurts my heart that most African American men I've encountered still prefer fried-straight hair to naturally curly. Even if they like it curly, it seems they prefer it straight...even when the straight hair is limp and lifeless.

It hurts my heart that most African American men I've encountered still prefer fried-straight hair to naturally curly. Even if they like it curly, it seems they prefer it straight...even when the straight hair is limp and lifeless.

Yes that's how my hair is when I straighten it because I do it with an iron. A blowout is better but no one does that at the salons anymore and I dont know how to do that. I find straight hair limp and lifeless in general though because i'm comparing it to my hair.

I think it's sad also because it's not natural.

I'm not sure I agree with this entirely. I still think it's going to be determined by how flattering the hairstyle is to that particular person. I guarantee that no one is going to prefer me with straight hair because it is highly unflattering to my particular features. They wouldn't be thinking about how I'd look better with this or that type of hair, they simply wouldn't be attracted to me with flat, limp, stick-straight hair, whereas they're more likely to be attracted to me with my curls or even big, voluminous straight style--volume being the key word here. They simply wouldn't give me a second look. And, I guarantee no one was complimenting me or my hair when it was was relaxer-fried, breaking off all over, and in varying lengths from 1 inch to 6 inches--and not on purpose.

Also, I think we're painting "curly hair" with too broad a brush. There are several types of curly hair, and because a guy likes 2a curls doesn't mean he'll like 3b or 4a curls, or if he likes 4b curls that he won't like 2b curls or vice versa or any other combination.

I couldn't pull off my own natural 3c/4a curls--they weren't flattering to my features OR my baby fine hair. I look like an entirely different person with my 2a/2b curls, courtesy of BKT. Some people have features that work with an array of hair styles and curl patterns--I'm not one of them.

It goes back to what was stated upthread early on: It's all about the total package to them. Most guys couldn't care less how you achieve the finished looks they find attractive, as long as they find you attractive.

I personally don't think many people can successfully pull off the parted, "drowned-rat" look that so many are sporting today, but that's a different conversation. I'm a root-volume girl--even just a little volume--perhaps because I don't have it naturally.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me! :confused5::laughing5::jocolor:
    Honeycurls wrote: »

I'm not sure I agree with this entirely. I still think it's going to be determined by how flattering the hairstyle is to that particular person. I guarantee that no one is going to prefer me with straight hair because it is highly unflattering to my particular features. They wouldn't be thinking about how I'd look better with this or that type of hair, they simply wouldn't be attracted to me with flat, limp, stick-straight hair, .

I think many actually would. Just because it's straight. Even if it looked like crap. :pale:

I've noticed last year a lot of the weaves are now 3b curly. That was nice to see.
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    To answer the original question-a smart man. Or a thoughtful one.

A lot of black men are brainwashed, unfortunately, but there are those who do like natural hair. It takes some digging, though. Playas and thugs definitely don't like it. But then, I never was into those kind of men even when I was relaxed as they tend to be shallow and can be anti-intellectual. The more artsy or nerdy types are more likely to be cool with it.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fconfessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
  • Purplecurls17Purplecurls17 Posts: 152Registered Users
    I was asked last night by a guy from my class if my hair was naturally curly. I told him yes and he was like " I love it it's so rad!"
    :) like I said, men that are worth talking to !
    Honeycurls wrote: »

I'm not sure I agree with this entirely. I still think it's going to be determined by how flattering the hairstyle is to that particular person. I guarantee that no one is going to prefer me with straight hair because it is highly unflattering to my particular features. They wouldn't be thinking about how I'd look better with this or that type of hair, they simply wouldn't be attracted to me with flat, limp, stick-straight hair, .

I think many actually would. Just because it's straight. Even if it looked like crap. :pale:

As cliche as this is becoming: We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

I think many black men just get tired of feeling that our hair is restrictive to our lives and to those in our lives. Many of us don't want to do anything that will make us sweat or muss our hair; we often don't want anyone to touch our curls or elaborate hairstyles; we have to avoid the elements, water; our hair is typically high-maintenance when straightened (and sometimes when not). I think they just get tired of all that hair drama and long for the perceived simplicity and freedom straight (or straighter) hair. Whether anyone feels it is "right or wrong" to feel this way, I believe that's how many of them feel.

I personally have never met a man who was interested in straight hair at any cost. IME, men don't particularly like high-maintenance hair, even if it is straight or straighter.

I have a lot more to say on the matter--you know, me and my usual unpopular opinions--but I'll just leave it at the above. I don't really expect to change anyone's opinion.

I'm resigned to the fact that when there are multiple versions of anything, there will always be a most popular choice, a least popular choice, and everything in between. And, I'm not the least bit concerned with the ones who aren't interested in buying what I'm selling because there are plenty of others who are.

This thread reminds me of the study of kids' preferences for straight vs curly hair. Not specific to men but somewhat relevent.