CurlTalk

Aloe Vera Gel

I'm thinking about getting some Aloe Vera Gel to add to my FSG batches. However, I'm looking for something that is JUST AVG, but for some reason, there are always some other ingredients added. I'm wondering what ingredients I should definitely avoid.

Just an example: there's AVG available in a store here that has these ingredients, and says it's 98% AO.

Aqua, Aloe Barbadensis, Alcohol Denat., Pentylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Parfum, Trisodium EDTA, Benzyl Salicylate, Limonene, Geraniol, Citronellol, Linalool, Eugenol.

Would anyone buy that or stay away from it?
F - LP - HD - NE
Fine, low porosity, high density, normal elasticity
Hairtype 2c

Low poo: Petal Fresh Organics Rosemary & Mint Volumizing Shampoo
Protein: Colorful Neutral Protein Filler
Detangler/RO: KCKT (winter) or Curl Junkie Beauticurls Argan & Olive Oil (summer)
Styling: KCCC

Beauty Is Not a Number

Comments

• PomegranateCurlPomegranateCurl Posts: 212Registered Users
    Alcohol Denat is the second ingredient, which is a drying alcohol, so I vote no.

US-based curlies buy food-grade AVG... a popular brand is Fruit of the Earth. If I remember correctly you're located in the Netherlands? I don't know what would be available there. Have you tried iHerb?
  • LauraimesLauraimes Posts: 880Registered Users
    Ah how silly, how could I have missed the alcohol?

I'm going to look into Fruit of the Earth. I have no idea whether it's available in store, and surprisingly, iHerb doesn't offer it, but Amazon does, so in the worst case scenario I have to order it there. I'm planning on placing a big order at Amazon anyway because I want to try Jessicurls Rockin' Ringlets (for when I'm travelling) and CJ Repair Me! (much cheaper getting it there than here in the Netherlands, even though it is available). Might as well add the Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera.

I really should look into alcohols again. The fatty and the drying ones...
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Detangler/RO: KCKT (winter) or Curl Junkie Beauticurls Argan & Olive Oil (summer)

Beauty Is Not a Number
  • JessiebananaJessiebanana Posts: 940Banned Users
    FYI You can also squeeze the aloe out of a plant easily. You just cut off part of a leaf and squeeze. The plant grows, so it's a renewable resource. My mom had aloe plant instead of buying aloe. They're almost impossible to kill.

%D8%A7%D8%B3%D8%AA%D8%B9%D9%85%D9%84%D9%89+%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B5%D8%A8%D8%A7%D8%B1+%D9%84%D8%AC%D8%B9%D9%84+%D8%B4%D8%B9%D8%B1%D9%83+%D8%A7%D9%83%D8%AB%D8%B1+%D9%84%D9%85%D8%B9%D8%A7%D9%86%D8%A7.jpg
    3C/Fine to Medium/Low Porosity/High Density

:love5:MoistureMoistureMoisture:love5:

Low Poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
    RO/DC: DB Pumpkin Seed Curl Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: Queen Helene Sculpturing Gel & Glaze

No Salts, No Waxes, No Butters, No Heavy Oils
    No ACV, No Saponified Oils, Protein Sensitive
    Jessiebanana, that's a great idea as well! I'm not good at keeping plants unless I can eat or use them for something (because then I remember for some reason) so getting an Aloe Vera plant is not a bad idea. Good thing that I still have to get groceries today, so I'll be walking through the shopping street (I live in the centre of the city).
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Beauty Is Not a Number
    Oh my. Impossible to kill and they love the sun! Exactly what I need. I realise I'm overexcited because of a plant right now.
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Beauty Is Not a Number
  • LynaeaLynaea Posts: 394Registered Users
    Lauraimes wrote: »
    I'm thinking about getting some Aloe Vera Gel to add to my FSG batches. However, I'm looking for something that is JUST AVG, but for some reason, there are always some other ingredients added. I'm wondering what ingredients I should definitely avoid.

Just an example: there's AVG available in a store here that has these ingredients, and says it's 98% AO.

Aqua, Aloe Barbadensis, Alcohol Denat., Pentylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Parfum, Trisodium EDTA, Benzyl Salicylate, Limonene, Geraniol, Citronellol, Linalool, Eugenol.

The preservatives I get, but why add water, alcohol and fragrant oils (which are also sensitizers)? Just a heads up, the FOTE has lots of preservatives and junk too. Your best bet is to search iHerb for 100% aloe gel sold as food grade but anything without preservatives would have to be refrigerated. The plant itself is an alternative but just know that the gel is not as easy to squeeze out as one might think, it is fairly slow growing and it has sharp spike type things along the edges of the leaves.
    :nemo: 2A / F / MD / LP / ?E / BSL --- CG since Dec. 2012 :nemo:

This is what I'm happiest with right now.
    Co-wash: CJ DailyFix
    Lo-poo: DermOrganic low-poo
    RO: SS Caitlin's co
    Leave-in: SheScentIt Okra Repair condish
    PT: SS Caitlin's + SS PT
    Stylers: Volumax Mega Gel, Max Green Styling Gel, DermOrganics Spray Gel
    Techniques: Plopping & Pixie Diffusing.
    :thumbdown: glycerin, honey, oils & butters :thumright: Protein!
  • chloe92uschloe92us Posts: 1,203Registered Users
    Aloe is about the easiest plant to keep- they won't die unless they don't get enough sun, or they get cold.

I have the fruit of the earth in a big bottle with a pump. It has preservatives, so not 100% AVG, but close enough. Aubrey organics, Jason, and lily of the valley are others.

Most of the curl enhancers I like are aloe based. I use it to tame frizzies, and on the rare days I do 2nd day hair. I also use it on sun burn. Love the stuff!
    2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
    Cleanse: AIA cowash, TJ Tea Tree Condish
    Condish: JC Too Shea, Tresemme Botanique
    Stylers: flax/okra gel or KCCC + CJ PP or JC Spiralicious
    Experimenting with Got2B Ultra gel and loving it so far!
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    In the published literature allergic reactions to aloe vera are linked to those who use whole leaf gel fresh from a plant or who drink whole leaf juice regularly, there are few to no reported reactions to standardised inner leaf gel which is the extract that has been studied at length and proven highly active.

Case studies on contact dermatitis from fresh aloe
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Frepositorio.chporto.pt%2Fbitstream%2F10400.16%2F821%2F1%2FAllergic%2520contact%2520dermatitis%2520to%2520Aloe%2520vera.pdf" class="Popup
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.desertharvest.com%2Fphysicians%2Fdocuments%2FHB-16.pdf" class="Popup
    Case study I don't have access to
    ScienceDirect.com - Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology - Urticaria due to aloe vera: a new sensitizer?
    Hypersensitivity from consistent oral and topical use
    JAMA Network | JAMA Dermatology | Hypersensitivity to Aloe

From 2005, edited for brevity
    "Aloe vera has been used as a cosmetic and medical remedy since ancient times and has gained increasing popularity in recent years. Despite its widespread use, reports of allergic reactions are rare. We patch tested 702 consecutive patients with an oily extract from the leaves, Aloe pulvis from the entire plant and concentrated Aloe vera gel ... None of the subjects showed any reaction to one of the preparations. 2 components of the plant have to be distinguished: the bark of the leaves contains anthrachinones with pro-peristaltic and potential antibiotic and anticancer properties. Constraints have been imposed due to their considerable toxic potential. Today, mostly the Aloe gel from the center of the leaves is processed. It almost exclusively consists of carbohydrates to which also many medical effects have been attributed. Carbohydrates are not likely to induce contact sensitization, which might explain the outcome of our study. "
    Absence of contact sensitization to Aloe vera (L.) Burm. f. - Reider - 2005 - Contact Dermatitis - Wiley Online Library

Furthermore the gel and juice you can purchase has been stabilised which you cannot do at home, that means aloe's enzymes are not breaking down it's own actives as fast as fast as you can wield your knife. Enzymes are also proteins, ie. potential allergens. Preserving aloe extract is more complex than just bacteria or fungal growth.

HTH.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    Thanks for all the replies!

Firefox, I'm going to read the articles as we read. I have sensitive skin and I don't want to irritate it any further. So far I haven't noticed any problems with aloe vera in the products I have, but I want to do some proper research before acting.
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Beauty Is Not a Number
  • JessiebananaJessiebanana Posts: 940Banned Users
    Lynaea wrote: »
    Lauraimes wrote: »

The preservatives I get, but why add water, alcohol and fragrant oils (which are also sensitizers)? Just a heads up, the FOTE has lots of preservatives and junk too. Your best bet is to search iHerb for 100% aloe gel sold as food grade but anything without preservatives would have to be refrigerated. The plant itself is an alternative but just know that the gel is not as easy to squeeze out as one might think, it is fairly slow growing and it has sharp spike type things along the edges of the leaves.

It's still very easy. There is a lot of middle leaf space. You can use your hands and since she's putting this in FSG I can't imagine she needs more than few ounces at a time. It's just an alternative.
    3C/Fine to Medium/Low Porosity/High Density

:love5:MoistureMoistureMoisture:love5:

Low Poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
    RO/DC: DB Pumpkin Seed Curl Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: Queen Helene Sculpturing Gel & Glaze

No Salts, No Waxes, No Butters, No Heavy Oils
    No ACV, No Saponified Oils, Protein Sensitive