We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

desperate! frizziness just at top of head! please help!

I'm so jealous of every girl that posts a youtube video or her hair regimen and when they step out of the shower they have amazing curl definition from the top of the scalp all the way down. I don't know if my hair is just too dense or what, but that does not happen to me. I can get good curl definition at the bottom of my curls, but the top (closest to my scalp) is just a frizzy mess that has no individualized curls.

photostream

but when I got my hair cut, my hairdresser was able to make it have the individual curls that I've been looking for, but I have no idea how she did it!

photostream

Has anyone had this problem before? How do i get my curls to be more individualized and less just a frizzy mess near my head, any and all suggestions are welcome! I'm so desperate and about to give up

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    The obvious question is, are you sure you are getting even product distribution (conditioner and styler) right up to the roots and crown?
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • anonymous_133347anonymous_133347 Posts: 1,426Registered Users
    Have you tried KCCC or Curl Keeper on the crown? Just giving it a quick glaze. I like KCCC better but both will get rid of the crown frizzies if you've been moving around or are affected by the humidity or something. Also good is FSG or CG Pattern Pusha. Oh, and devacurl Set it Free. Or just plain conditioner and water is great too for a touchup on the frizzies. Also yes you want to be sure you apply enough product on the crown when you style. If your roots are dry, get some leave in then gel or gelly or mousse or curl cream or whatever it is you use.
    3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
    Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
    Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
    Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

• curliegirlie30curliegirlie30 Posts: 5Registered Users
    Thank you both! To be honest I hadn't even thought about that. I guess I've been so afraid of product buildup on my scalp. I've tried KCCC before, but sometimes it just sits on top of my curls and is a sticky goopy mess on my scalp. Yesterday I tried watering it down a little bit before I put it on my curls and it worked a little better. I think I'll give one of the other products you mentioned a try.
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    Thank you both! To be honest I hadn't even thought about that. I guess I've been so afraid of product buildup on my scalp. I've tried KCCC before, but sometimes it just sits on top of my curls and is a sticky goopy mess on my scalp. Yesterday I tried watering it down a little bit before I put it on my curls and it worked a little better. I think I'll give one of the other products you mentioned a try.

You will not get build up if you don't use products that contain ingredients that can accumulate and wash your scalp carefully. Curl Keeper and Curling Custard are water based so will wash away easily. Curl Keeper is quite watery; are you using 'scrunch and pump' to apply your products to very wet hair? That helps distribution.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • JessiebananaJessiebanana Posts: 940Banned Users
    If I'm using the right products I have the best curl formation out of the shower and I have very dense hair. Four things give me shower frizz.

1. Too much protein.
    2. Build Up
    3. Dryness...usually caused by trying to get rid of build up
    4. If I stay in the shower too long *after* rinsing out my conditioner. I think my hair just gets too much of a good watery thing.
    3C/Fine to Medium/Low Porosity/High Density

:love5:MoistureMoistureMoisture:love5:

Low Poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
    RO/DC: DB Pumpkin Seed Curl Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: Queen Helene Sculpturing Gel & Glaze

No Salts, No Waxes, No Butters, No Heavy Oils
    No ACV, No Saponified Oils, Protein Sensitive

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights