CurlTalk

7 Day Challenge - who's up for it?

Hey! I was just pondering my hair journey and was thinking about the times it was discouraging to look at the pictures on the forums here and feel like everyone had such awesome hair compared to me.

And then, when my hair got a little better, and I got more into a routine, I realized that the pictures I showed were pretty much only on the best of hair days.

So, I was thinking we should have a "challenge" of sorts where anyone who wants to commits to posting a picture of their "finished" hair every day--whether it looks great or horrible. It might give more of a realistic picture to some of the disheartened beginners that not everyone has perfectly sculpted curls every day just because they religiously follow the CG method.

...who's up for it? Me!!
Currently using and loving: KCKT & KCCC, Suave Coconut, BRHG, GVP Conditioning Balm

Next up to try: Protein Treatments

3a/fine/almost waist length when pulled straight; bra-strap length when curly
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• KatMackKatMack Posts: 60Registered Users
    I think this is a genius idea. I felt the same way when I first joined, like everyone's hair was perfect every day after a few months of cg. It felt like everyone's pictures were so pretty, especially the before and afters and it was discouraging to have random bad hair days, and trust me i had my fair share (and more lol) of them, especially when I first started to wear my hair wavy/curly. My hair has gotten so much more predictable now but there are still days where it refuses to cooperate. Unfortunately I'm on vacation this week so I'm not really going to do my hair this week, but I'd love to join if the thread is still going when I get home.
    KAT
    ~Curly, Runner, Self-confessed Nerd~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2a no product/2b-c styled
    Low Porosity, Fine
    No poo-SM
    Co wash-VO5 kiwi lime*
    Rinse out- ION EC
    Leave in - Giovanni Direct then SM smoothie (ends only)
    Stylers-SM souffle topped with BRHG*

Hair hates: glycerin (high dews here in TX)
    Hair likes: Coconut Oil*, protein

*=HG
  • JessiebananaJessiebanana Posts: 940Banned Users
    Yeah no way, my hair at this length is no bueno.
    3C/Fine to Medium/Low Porosity/High Density

:love5:MoistureMoistureMoisture:love5:

Low Poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
    RO/DC: DB Pumpkin Seed Curl Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: Queen Helene Sculpturing Gel & Glaze

No Salts, No Waxes, No Butters, No Heavy Oils
    No ACV, No Saponified Oils, Protein Sensitive
  • awelcomeawelcome Posts: 167Registered Users
    I may try to remember to take a pic each day for a week. I think it's a great idea, I just may have trouble remembering lol.
    My Hair:
    2c
    Fine, low porosity, med/high density
    BSL - going for mid back to waist

HG: currently
    just washing with a low poo that contains protein (Alba Naturals Coconut) and using Suave Naturals Coconut as both a RO and LI. No stylers right now, but this gives me pretty good curl, definition, low-ish frizz, and it feels and looks good. Also an occasional PT (liking the Palmer's Coconut Oil Formula which has cones) seems to be key for me.

Modified CG since February 2013

• curlytwirlykatecurlytwirlykate Posts: 142Registered Users
    I love this!!! I'm in. Start tomorrow?
    3A/2C | fine | high-po length, low-po roots | medium density | shoulder-length

Shower Time!
    Treat: EVCO
    Co-Wash: DE Unscented Condish with added lavender and tea tree EOs
    Condish: DE Coconut Condish with added local honey

Styling
    After Shower: Homemade FSG with added gelatine

+ bi-weekly protein DIY treatments (gelatin and egg yolk)
    + mindful nutrition
  • justdoingmejustdoingme Posts: 136Registered Users
    would be so interesting to see people's hair! great idea
    Curl pattern: Loose waved underlayer, a mixture of 2b, 2c, 3a
    Porosity: Low
    Density: Thick
    Length: When stretched approx 5cm above belly button
    Low poo: Tresemme Naturals
    Conditioner: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration
    Styler: Olive Oil Eco Styler
    Deep conditioner: Olive oil

:snorting:
  • New_to_CurlzNew_to_Curlz Posts: 115Registered Users
    I'm in! I'm sure I will regret it because I am a teacher and this is the last week of school...pony tail time!
    This is a great idea because it does seem like we all post our best hair days so it will be good to see the other days too.
    Fine texture
    Low/ Med porosity
    Med density

Wash: SM MR, GTTT
    RO: SM MR, GTTT
    LI: SM CSM or SM MR
    Styling:AVG, KCCC, Volumax MEGA (HG), Joico Curl Definer
  • SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Posts: 1,082Registered Users
    I am interested, but how would you want the pics posted? On this thread?
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
  • chloe92uschloe92us Posts: 1,203Registered Users
    This sounds fun! I think we should also say what products we used on each day. Start tomorrow! ;)
    2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
    Cleanse: AIA cowash, TJ Tea Tree Condish
    Condish: JC Too Shea, Tresemme Botanique
    Stylers: flax/okra gel or KCCC + CJ PP or JC Spiralicious
    Experimenting with Got2B Ultra gel and loving it so far!
    I'm in! I'm sure I will regret it because I am a teacher and this is the last week of school...pony tail time!
    This is a great idea because it does seem like we all post our best hair days so it will be good to see the other days too.

Hah! Me too! Good luck to ya, sister!

Shower Time!

Styling

+ mindful nutrition
  • GracielouGracielou Posts: 42Registered Users
    Oh, I'm so glad so many are interested in this! :blob:

I say yes, we should also post the products we use, too. And sure, let's just go ahead and post the pictures right in this thread. I think what I'll do is post the first day, and then on the 2nd day, post the 1st day AND the 2nd day picture side-by-side, and so-on through the week.

And, this thread should keep going for awhile... ;) Even if you don't do this first 7 days, people can start with their own individual 7 day challenges whenever it's convenient!

And yes...I'm going to have to set a timer to remind me to take a picture, or something....hmm....
    Currently using and loving: KCKT & KCCC, Suave Coconut, BRHG, GVP Conditioning Balm

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    guess I better try to do mine this week since soon school will be out and there will be days I will never get out of my pj's let alone fix my hair while I take a break from running kids around.
    My Hair:
    2c

just washing with a low poo that contains protein (Alba Naturals Coconut) and using Suave Naturals Coconut as both a RO and LI. No stylers right now, but this gives me pretty good curl, definition, low-ish frizz, and it feels and looks good. Also an occasional PT (liking the Palmer's Coconut Oil Formula which has cones) seems to be key for me.

• NelekeNeleke Posts: 456Registered Users
    I am going to lurk (since I'm one of those people who still feels like a beginner and who still feels like "why won't my hair do that?")

And maybe I'll have the courage to do the pictures as well, but that will be after the 13th (I have some quite horrible exams going on till the 13th and my hair just doesn't look the same as it always does, probably 1. Because I don't really take the time to style my hair now, sitting inside with my studybooks, 2. because of stress)
    2c: fine texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity, normal-high density
    CG since March 8th 2013
    Low Poo: Rainforest Radiance shampoo
    Conditioner: Yes to Cucumbers
    Styler: BRHG, Garnier Fructis Gel
    PT: Gliss Kur Repair & Volume

iherb.com: get a 5$ discount on orders under 40$ or a 10$ discount on orders over 40$ when you order for your first order by using the following discount code: CFH441
  • Always@nightAlways@night Posts: 566Registered Users
    Day one hair.
    Still flat ironed. The only products are olive oil and heat protectant. (Tomorrow's hair should be curly because i'm going to wash it)
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1370258623.480619.jpg
  • RytokaRytoka Posts: 309Registered Users
    Here we go. Day one is second day hair. I am trying out the SM soufflé. Not bad so far ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1370263581.509970.jpgImageUploadedByCurlTalk1370263589.237695.jpg
    Katie
    2C/3a, Medium Texture, Normal porosity, High Density, Normal Elasticity (so says the LCLF Hair analysis)
    Co Wash: As I am
    RO: Yes To Carrots / Ion
    LI: Biotera / Samy Big Curls Defining Cream
    Gel: FSG, Volumax (Original and Mega)
    Color: Henna
    Tools: Diffusing
    :thumright:
    I actually started yesterday....

Day 1: Low poo, Curly Kinks Renew used as a LI, then Botanical Spirits Puree, topped with Jane Carter condition and sculpt. Soft and a little fluffy for me, but FELT great! Didn't hold through the day. Dew point 72 today.

8936404915_ff498a1321_t.jpg 8937027912_fb7a0a3f6a_t.jpg

Day 2: Wet in shower, Regis Olive Oil condish as a LI, then SS CEJ + FHG, topped with BRHG (this was going to be my LAST effort with BRHG!) It is rainy and humid here today, so I needed a little extra hold. First two are in the morning, last two are at the end of the day (my most challenging time- frizz is usually popping up by now). Dew point 75 today.

8937027834_89c2deb763_t.jpg 8936405071_0465e3620e_t.jpg 8940354364_7f2e0bf503_t.jpg 8939734455_8e3c187b17_t.jpg
  • YoshimiYoshimi Posts: 237Registered Users
    Chloe I want your hair!

So today is a terrible hair day, I was aiming for beach waves but used to much sm souffle and ended up with a limp lank greasy sticky mess. Turns out using it in damp instead of soaking wet hair for waves like it says on the tub doesn't actually work.

uploadfromtaptalk1370271584616.jpguploadfromtaptalk1370271601121.jpguploadfromtaptalk1370271613920.jpg

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using CurlTalk App
    2C, Medium thickness, Low posity
    Recovering from a year of keratin and bleach with CG

Routine

Low Poo, Condition, Leave in, Curl cream, Supersoak, Gel, Diffuse on high heat, with minimal lift to encourage waves and reduce frizz, Dry on cool with nozzle down to smooth hair and finish drying,Shine Serum

Weekly gelatin protien treatments.
  • JulesonlineJulesonline Posts: 444Registered Users
    I'm in...

Not too happy with my hair today. I was a bit rushed this AM and did not plop or diffuse as long as I normally do. I am experimenting with increasing protein. I think the GSAS may have been a bit more moisturizing than I was aiming for. I have also been rinsing 90% of the RO out. A bit more frizz, but I had a tough time today SOTC for some reason. So here is what I used/did:

Low-poo: U R Curly sulfate free soya poo
    RO: Mix of GVP K pak and GSAS
    Stylers: DevaCurl Volumizing foam and BRHG.
    SOTC w/ argan oil.
    JulesOnline
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3A/B? A corkicelli mix of ringlets, spirals, helixes & s-shaped curls
    Medium-fine texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Summer: pink; Winter: Blue; Year Round: green
    Lo-Poo:Giovanni SAS sulfate free poo, L'Oreal Evercream CC
    Co-wash: TNRV, VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea, TNNM
    RO/LI:
    YTC, Nexxus Hydra-light w/ CNPF GVPCB, Biolage CB, TNNM, Giovanni SAS
    Styler: KCCC FSG, BRHG, LALSG

• LauraimesLauraimes Posts: 880Registered Users
    I'm definitely in, but not today. I'm having a not-so-happy-hair day because I actually had to wash it, but had an early class and I'm going to see my hair stylist tomorrow (thus ended up not washing it). She'll wash it (hopefully with my products!!) but I'm expecting to have to go through my entire washing routine once I get home. My hair is not used to being washed more than twice a week so I decided to wait until tomorrow, and figured a fresh cut would be a good start for a seven day challenge! So far I'm loving this topic.
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Fine, low porosity, high density, normal elasticity
    Hairtype 2c

Low poo: Petal Fresh Organics Rosemary & Mint Volumizing Shampoo
    Protein: Colorful Neutral Protein Filler
    Detangler/RO: KCKT (winter) or Curl Junkie Beauticurls Argan & Olive Oil (summer)
    Styling: KCCC

Beauty Is Not a Number
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,193Registered Users
    I'm in. Today's routine: CJ DF, ROO (left a little in my hair), Curl Keeper, Mop Top Light Hold Gel (both applied with combo or raking and scrunching). Plop, scrunch out extra water with flour sack towel, completely air dried (it was raining this morning), and survived a hooded sweatshirt. All things considered, it's ok. Pics look less curly than IRL (bad angles, I guess). I did her a compliment this morning, which was pretty awesome. ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1370274594.349940.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    Lauraimes wrote: »
    I'm definitely in, but not today. I'm having a not-so-happy-hair day.

That's cheating, lol! The whole point of this is to show that not EVERY day is a good hair day! :icon_smile:
    chloe92us wrote: »
    Lauraimes wrote: »
    I'm definitely in, but not today. I'm having a not-so-happy-hair day.

That's cheating, lol! The whole point of this is to show that not EVERY day is a good hair day! :icon_smile:

I know, I know! Okay. Here it goes.

Day 1
    Routine: Wet my hair with the shower head (whilst not being in the shower so I always end up still having some dry sections that I wet with my spray bottle). Combed it with my wide tooth comb, then smoothed in plenty of FSG. Squished out the water until it didn't really squish any more, then plopped as I was brushing my teeth + 30 minutes. Air dried.

I must add that I unplopped as my boyfriend was showering so I was in a super humid environment. Then I immediately jumped on my bicycle to make sure I wasn't going to miss the train, and that always makes my curls a little less pretty. Then I touched it waaay too much because the frizz (I never have frizz) is annoying me, which obviously only makes it worse.

Time of picture: 18:15.
    Weather: Temp 46 - humidity 93% - Dew 44.
    Hair grade (10 being best, 6 being average, 1 being worst): 5,5.

e825bcd0-2553-4cbd-b5fc-e578c40b715c_zps39ad7880.jpg
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Detangler/RO: KCKT (winter) or Curl Junkie Beauticurls Argan & Olive Oil (summer)

Beauty Is Not a Number
  • GracielouGracielou Posts: 42Registered Users
    Ok, my turn!

I started yesterday, but didn't get it posted.

So yesterday, I cowashed with suave coconut, used GVP conditioning balm for my RO, raked in KCKT and KCCC, plopped, used a random tressemme gel, diffused just a couple minutes, let air dry the rest, SOTC and went out the door.
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1370283850.495128.jpg

Today is 2nd day hair:
    I slept in a pineapple last night, sprayed my hair with a spray bottle to rewet it this morning, smoothed in a little KCKT and KCCC, scrunched in BRHG for a long time (scrunched until my hands were tired), diffused for a bit, let air dry, SOTC, and whoa...even curlier hair than on day 1!
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1370283988.718961.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1370283999.566251.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NelekeNeleke Posts: 456Registered Users
    Laura: frizz? what frizz?
    Compared to my frizz, this is peanuts!

Chloe: I know as well that the point of this thread is to show that not every day is a good hair day, but I'm still not going to begin now :p. Probably after the exams I will though. It's just because I'm not doing the same effort I do normally... and I'm putting my hair in buns or ponytails and do a lot of things with my hair to keep it out of my face when it starts to annoy me that I normally don't do...

Laura: totally offtopic:
    You would like the essay I'm writing now I guess. It's a paper about a couple of writers (especially Latinamerican writers though), but more of a receptionstudy with comparisons of the reception of different books worldwide. You probably know Index Translationum, right? (it's not accurate, I know)... my essay will look really fancy with tables and stuff :p
    I don't know why exactly, but I thought of you when I was writing it :p
    2c: fine texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity, normal-high density
    CG since March 8th 2013
    Low Poo: Rainforest Radiance shampoo
    Conditioner: Yes to Cucumbers
    Styler: BRHG, Garnier Fructis Gel
    PT: Gliss Kur Repair & Volume

iherb.com: get a 5$ discount on orders under 40$ or a 10$ discount on orders over 40$ when you order for your first order by using the following discount code: CFH441
    Okay, so I posted this pic in the before/after SOTC thread, too. No more cross-posting after this... promise!

Day 1

Dewpoint: 8
    Weather: 10oC, 89% Humidity, raining like crazy

Pre-poo: All night coconut-oil and shae-butter leave-in treatment
    Poo: Aubrey Organics Blue Camomile Shampoo (as a rinse -- 5:1 Water to Shampoo)
    Co-wash: Aubrey Organics Blue Camomile Conditioner (because the shampoo rinse didn't cut it!)
    Condish: Desert Essence Coconut Conditioner, scrunched into hair and left on for 3(ish) minutes. Rinsed out in freezing cold water while I cursed very, very loudly.
    Style: Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel (Strong Hold), applied in the shower in a supersoaker/scrunch-and-pump method. [If I don't plan to go anywhere until my hair dries, I'd usually clip the roots. But I know that it will take my hair hours to dry today, so I won't clip. Mama wants to leave her house!]
    Drying: Scrunched out all excess water with a micro fibre dusting mitt. This is my first time trying this, after I realized that this gel + plop = big frizzy disaster. We'll see how it goes! Also, I'm growing out my fringe, so once I get some root curl going on, I pin the awkwardly-long fringe into the rest of my hair (sort of like pulling back a curtain!). This gets it out of my face, and when my hair dries, the fringe sort of stays there.

… let it dry. For hours. Because it's raining out.

1-5.JPG

1-4.JPG

On a related note, I can't decide if I want to grow my hair out, or get it sculpted into an asymmetrical 'do. Any opinions, suggestions? I'm so SO bored of where it's at right now!!

Shower Time!

Styling

+ mindful nutrition
    Curlytwirlykate, I think your hair looks gorgeous as it is so I don't have any advice!

Neleke: I don't know about Index Translationum but your essay sure sounds interesting! Readers' reception is one of my favourite topics (though I rarely write about it).

I'm pretty excited about posting here tomorrow. Curious to see the difference my cut makes.
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Beauty Is Not a Number
    Ok, starting yesterday....

Low-poo'd with my Alba Naturals Coconut, detangled with a little bit of YTC. Blot with t-shirt, used Palmer's Coconut Oil Formula PT for an hour, Biolage Conditioning Balm as RO, and Suave Naturals Coconut as LI. Blot again, hour plop, and air dry. That's all.

day 1.jpg

Day 2.... Low-pood again with the Alba Naturals Coconut, Suave Naturals Coconut RO + as LI with a couple drops of Argan Oil. Blot, hour plop, air dry. Today though my plop was messed up and left me with some issues I tried to fix which led to too much touching and more frizz... so I put in some clips. I would consider this not as good of a hair day, but definitely not my worst lol.

day 2.jpg day2side.jpg
    My Hair:
    2c

awelcome wrote: »

Low-poo'd with my Alba Naturals Coconut, detangled with a little bit of YTC. Blot with t-shirt, used Palmer's Coconut Oil Formula PT for an hour, Biolage Conditioning Balm as RO, and Suave Naturals Coconut as LI. Blot again, hour plop, and air dry. That's all.

day 1.jpg

Day 2.... Low-pood again with the Alba Naturals Coconut, Suave Naturals Coconut RO + as LI with a couple drops of Argan Oil. Blot, hour plop, air dry. Today though my plop was messed up and left me with some issues I tried to fix which led to too much touching and more frizz... so I put in some clips. I would consider this not as good of a hair day, but definitely not my worst lol.

day 2.jpg day2side.jpg

You have the most beautiful hair, awelcome. My hair goal is to be a blonde you!!

Shower Time!

Styling

+ mindful nutrition
    awelcome wrote: »

day 1.jpg

day 2.jpg day2side.jpg

You have the most beautiful hair, awelcome. My hair goal is to be a blonde you!!

What a sweet thing to say! I think your hair is lovely as well.
    My Hair:
    2c

• New_to_CurlzNew_to_Curlz Posts: 115Registered Users
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1370301640.671066.jpg
    Not a great day but not horrible. Washed/ RO with GTTT, super soaked with KCCC and plopped for about 30 min. Used some joico refiner and finished with volumax mega gel. It's hard to see in the picture but my top layers are good but the under layer has hardly any wave. I'm overdue for a cut so that may be part of the problem.

Tomorrows a new day!
    Fine texture
    Low/ Med porosity
    Med density

Wash: SM MR, GTTT
    RO: SM MR, GTTT
    LI: SM CSM or SM MR
    Styling:AVG, KCCC, Volumax MEGA (HG), Joico Curl Definer
  • KauaiMareCurlKauaiMareCurl Posts: 317Registered Users
    Sunday night (I usually wash the night before)
    Kinky Curly Come Clean (weekly)
    RO: Nature's Gate biotin conditioner
    LI: Yes to carrots leave-in conditioner with a wee bit Colorful Neutral Protein Filler
    Styler: AG recoil followed by Biosilk rock hard gelee

Plopped about 20 minutes
    Used six claw clips for root on top
    Re-plopped overnight with claw clips

Day 1:
    Water/Kinky Curly Knot Today mix in spray bottle to refresh
    CNPF "active protein reconstructing conditioner" in different spray bottle to refresh

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1370304626.162075.jpg ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1370304641.787334.jpg

BF said hair felt very soft. I'm getting a trim tomorrow (day 2); got a Ouidad cut in January, but this time I am getting a regular trim to clean up layers.