CurlTalk

How difficult is recovery after too much protein?

CeallachgCeallachg Posts: 60Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I've been trying out protein treatments, and I'm trying to figure out the difference between over-conditioned and too much protein. I seem to be erring on the side of way less protein than my hair actually needs, though. I want to try more frequent protein treatments, but I'm worried about overdoing it because I keep hearing that it's easier to recover from overconditioning than from too much protein.

So how difficult is it, really, to rebalance your hair with a conditioning DT after using too much protein?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/2c, fine, thick, normal porosity/elasticity

Current routine: co-wash & detangle with AIA Coconut CoWash then RO. Experimenting w/AG re:coil, DCVF & All-Nutrient Hair Proteinizer.
Love: AO GPB, KCCC, PBH Gelatine Goo, ANHP, CNPF
Like: GDL, FSG, honey, HETT, JCNS, DCVF
Hate: glycerin, mineral oil

Comments

• mhen76mhen76 Posts: 813Registered Users
    I have fine hair and can get overconditioned easily. I use a lot of protein and I've never gotten overload. You may want to do a PT and gradually add more protein to your routine. That way you can catch an overload quickly. A good dose of moisture should take care of it.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using CurlTalk App''
    3B, fine, normal to low porosity
    Modified CG since June 2010
    HGs: FSG, anything with glycerin, Tresemme Naturals conditioner, Curls Like Us cloths, satin pillowcases.
  • longlivecurlslonglivecurls Posts: 271Registered Users
    I have had this happen once to me it made my hair really dry but once I stopped using the product and gave my hair a good dose of moisture it was fine. I usually do a protein treatment once a week if I have time.
    CG NEWBIE :afro:
    curl type: 2c/3a on a good day :love5:
    med/high porosity & high density
    hair strand width: med/coarse
    BSL hair & growing

GOING STRONG!!! SAY NO TO HEAT!!!
    :wav:
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
    I had the same experience as longlivecurls. I think one deep moisturizing treatment or at the most two and you would be fine.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • CeallachgCeallachg Posts: 60Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ok, that's not so scary, then!

I figured it must be harder for medium or especially thick-haired curlies to compensate for too much protein, so it's good to hear that you all haven't had a big problem with correcting it.

I've added products with protein since my last PT, but it's been over a week since then. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend! :)

Thank you so much for your help!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/2c, fine, thick, normal porosity/elasticity

Current routine: co-wash & detangle with AIA Coconut CoWash then RO. Experimenting w/AG re:coil, DCVF & All-Nutrient Hair Proteinizer.
    Love: AO GPB, KCCC, PBH Gelatine Goo, ANHP, CNPF
    Like: GDL, FSG, honey, HETT, JCNS, DCVF
    Hate: glycerin, mineral oil
  • mermaidwavesmermaidwaves Posts: 41Registered Users
    I think I just overdid the protein the other day, today I cowashed and used a really moisturizing RO, and my hair already feels a lot better. 1 or 2 more times and I expect it to be completely back to normal, but it already looks fine. I have heard horror stories about too much protein too but for me, maybe it's because I'm fine and porous, it was just a bad hair day.
    Just starting CG! 5-13

2A, fine, dense, high porosity, highlighted

low-poo: Leonor Greyl bain vitalisant b*
    co-wash: CJ smoothing*
    RO: ^, SS Caitlin's*
    DT: CJ rehab
    LI: CJ rehab
    stylers: CJ CCCC*
    oils: coconut

*experimenting
    HG

loves: aloe, oils, esp. coconut :love10: