Pizza Sampler Shot at Costco

mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
I'm not one who usually posts stuff like this but I'm just baffled. Did you all see the story about the woman handing out pizza samples at Costco who was shot by police? Is it just me or does that seem a tad extreme?

link
Witnesses said she seemed upset about the pizza she was handing out, and was waving a knife and scissors, threatening employees.

Deputies were called to the store to handle the disturbance. After they arrived, Scott -- who worked for a company that handles sampling at Costco stores -- approached the officers with a knife and scissors, authorities said.

One officer tried to use a stun gun on Scott, but Chapman said the stun gun "did not work," and one of the deputies fatally shot her.
When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
Bonsai Culturist

Comments

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Somehow, I suspect the disturbance might not have been entirely about the pizza. Just a hunch, tho.:sign7:

• mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    It sounded like she had some sort of sudden breakdown. She was fine a few minutes before.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
    I think employers need to do a better job of identifying signs of employee burnout and not pushing ppl past their limits. Just providing a more wellness-focused work environment....bc some stressors aren't work related.

How sad :(

Costco is an excellent company to work for. They pay well and have awesome benefits. The folks who do the sampling at Costco work for another company. It pays okay, considering it's part time and unskilled work, and they hire a lot of people who otherwise might not be able to get work--seniors, the disabled, ESL, moms returning to the workforce, etc.

I haven't read any other stories about this but it sounds like you have. What are you suggesting the employer should have done? People snap and I'm not sure how involved in their employees' lives a company that hires part time and contract workers can or should be.

I was shocked that police would shoot and kill a woman having a breakdown because their stun gun was broken. She wasn't waving a gun around. She was waving some scissors and a knife.

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
    mrspoppers wrote: »
    Costco is an excellent company to work for. They pay well and have awesome benefits. The folks who do the sampling at Costco work for another company. It pays okay, considering it's part time and unskilled work, and they hire a lot of people who otherwise might not be able to get work--seniors, the disabled, ESL, moms returning to the workforce, etc.

I haven't read any other stories about this but it sounds like you have. What are you suggesting the employer should have done? People snap and I'm not sure how involved in their employees' lives a company that hires part time and contract workers can or should be.

I was shocked that police would shoot and kill a woman having a breakdown because their stun gun was broken. She wasn't waving a gun around. She was waving some scissors and a knife.

No, I DK anything about this case. I was just thinking about the thread started here a few wks ago about ppl having meltdowns on the job and thinking about a few RL examples from ppl I know.

I'm not an HR professional, so I can't say definitively but I would think more vacation and sick leave offered would be a good place to start. Better EAPs and wellness programming. And supervisors who are trained to intervene when it looks like someone is losing it. I'm guessing that while this woman w/ the pizza and scissors was acting relatively normal shortly before the incident, there probably were some clues given over the preceding weeks that she wasn't entirely healthy. But IDK. It seems many of us here work in somewhat unhealthy situations with somewhat unhealthy ppl.

No, I DK anything about this case. I was just thinking about the thread started here a few wks ago about ppl having meltdowns on the job and thinking about a few RL examples from ppl I know.

I'm not an HR professional, so I can't say definitively but I would think more vacation and sick leave offered would be a good place to start. Better EAPs and wellness programming. And supervisors who are trained to intervene when it looks like someone is losing it. I'm guessing that while this woman w/ the pizza and scissors was acting relatively normal shortly before the incident, there probably were some clues given over the preceding weeks that she wasn't entirely healthy. But IDK. It seems many of us here work in somewhat unhealthy situations with somewhat unhealthy ppl.
    Ahhh, yes, I see what you're saying. I don't think this is that type of job though. I don't believe they have onsite supervisors or even coworkers they interact with. I doubt they get much in the way of benefits since they're contractors and part time workers who need supplemental income. Reality is that there are jobs that aren't as touchy-feely as others. People who need interaction with coworkers and onsite supervision would probably do better finding another type of part time job.

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist

Ahhh, yes, I see what you're saying. I don't think this is that type of job though. I don't believe they have onsite supervisors or even coworkers they interact with. I doubt they get much in the way of benefits since they're contractors and part time workers who need supplemental income. Reality is that there are jobs that aren't as touchy-feely as others. People who need interaction with coworkers and onsite supervision would probably do better finding another type of part time job.

Maybe it's the only job the person could get? It was a woman in this case, so not surprisingly, the only person hurt was herself. But I bet if it had been a man who had snapped, half the employees and cutomers would have been taken down with him.

IDK what the solution is. And maybe this particular scenario was unavoidable. But it seems like more and more ppl are snapping at the workplace. You know, "going postal."

• PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    Couldn't they have shot her in the leg?
    3c/4a
    Po wrote: »
    Couldn't they have shot her in the leg?
    That's what I was thinking.

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Since she didn't have a gun couldn't they have shot her to disable??
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    +3
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,775Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    +4....very sad.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've been told that it's not really possible to aim for arms and legs. Instead, you have to aim for the part of the body that moves the least: the torso.

Which still leaves the question of whether they had to shoot her.
  • PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    I've been told that it's not really possible to aim for arms and legs. Instead, you have to aim for the part of the body that moves the least: the torso.

Well then what about a rubber bullet?

I've known a few people who have been scared to call the police on their mentally ill adult children for this very reason.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using CurlTalk App
    3c/4a
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

I've worked sampling jobs at Costco and there were always supervisors from the contracting company around, multiple supervisors in fact. It depends on the gig, but coworkers may've been nearby or posted farther away. We were allowed fairly frequent breaks also...if someone just needed a breather away from people. But working with the public just isn't for some people. And if it were a grand opening or something, that would've made things more hectic and stressful. Those could've all been factors that compounded any previous stressors or existing mental health issues.

I can see how that would be a problem when a person is running or otherwise moving quickly. But that didn't seem to be the case here. She was moving but not so fast that they couldn't have found a way to subdue her - besides killing her.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    lasso training is needed:tongue10:

I've worked sampling jobs at Costco and there were always supervisors from the contracting company around, multiple supervisors in fact. It depends on the gig, but coworkers may've been nearby or posted farther away. We were allowed fairly frequent breaks also...if someone just needed a breather away from people. But working with the public just isn't for some people. And if it were a grand opening or something, that would've made things more hectic and stressful. Those could've all been factors that compounded any previous stressors or existing mental health issues.

I can see how that would be a problem when a person is running or otherwise moving quickly. But that didn't seem to be the case here. She was moving but not so fast that they couldn't have found a way to subdue her - besides killing her.
    Thanks for clarifying. I worked sampling jobs at grocery stores and there was nobody there for me. I had one contact at the store and that was it.

That's what I was thinking about them shooting at her leg or something. I know they don't shoot to disable when there's a gun in the picture but this seemed like a different situation. It was like they said, "Oops, our stun gun is broken; guess we gotta kill her."

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I know what you mean, but rubber bullets kill people all the time at close range. Calling weapons "nonlethal" is usually dishonest. They're just somewhat less likely to kill people.

And that's the problem with cases like this. More cops need to be trained in nonlethal strategies, especially for people with psychosis or delirium. People who work in mental hospitals are extensively trained to defuse situations and, if necessary, subdue people with minimal physical force. They also know how to tell if a situation is even dangerous to begin with. But a typical cop will just escalate the situation and perceive unusual behavior as dangerous behavior. I don't know much about what happened at Costco, but I seriously doubt the cops handled it properly.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I know what you mean, but rubber bullets kill people all the time at close range. Calling weapons "nonlethal" is usually dishonest. They're just somewhat less likely to kill people.

And that's the problem with cases like this. More cops need to be trained in nonlethal strategies, especially for people with psychosis or delirium. People who work in mental hospitals are extensively trained to defuse situations and, if necessary, subdue people with minimal physical force. They also know how to tell if a situation is even dangerous to begin with. But a typical cop will just escalate the situation and perceive unusual behavior as dangerous behavior. I don't know much about what happened at Costco, but I seriously doubt the cops handled it properly.

I agree that cops need better training when dealing with the mentally ill. I used to work in a position where I organized educational events about dementia, and this was an issue that came up when interacting with law enforcement at events. The majority simply don't get the training needed to deal with mental health issues.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file