wood deck or paver patio?

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
Which did you or would you get in your backyard? Why?

Do you think one or the other looks better w/ a particular type of house? Mine has vinyl siding and the color is light taupe.

Comments

• SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Is the ground level? Decks are good for sloping or uneven yards. Current home had a deck for this reason, I like it well enough but I do paint it dark brown every other year.

Old home with flat level ground had patio stones/pavers. Pro was you could walk right out to lawn from anywhere, con was weed control between cracks and eventually shifting pavers.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    I have pavers/concrete but I want wood. I think wood looks better but depending on the type of wood, there could be more maintainance (restaining/sealing/etc). Altough, with pavers, EVERY year it is a pain to deal with the grass and weeds that grow up and if one cracks, boy are you in trouble trying to replace/match it.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    We had to do a deck -- we have a daylight basement in the back so the walkout from the kitchen is 8 feet off the ground. We used Trex because we didn't want to have to do a lot of maintenance/repair, given the height. We mop it once a year with 30 Minute Cleaner and that's about it. If we lived anywhere but the soggy pacific northwest, I don't think we'd even need that much upkeep.

I really like the look of pavers. We saw some cool options when we were thinking about doing some work out back. There are also options for existing concrete patios that we've considered for the area under the deck. I never thought about the upkeep Scrills and Spider mentioned though. It does sound like our deck was the easiest route!
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Spider wrote: »
    Is the ground level? Decks are good for sloping or uneven yards. Current home had a deck for this reason, I like it well enough but I do paint it dark brown every other year.

Old home with flat level ground had patio stones/pavers. Pro was you could walk right out to lawn from anywhere, con was weed control between cracks and eventually shifting pavers.

There's not some kind of plastic tarp to put down underneath to keep weeds from growing?

They shift bc of tree roots?

• sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Our house has a wooden deck with two levels. That's what we need to allow a back door from the kitchen on the main level and the walkout basement. Also, our yard is too hilly and sloped for a patio.

At my parents' house, they have a stone/paver patio, and it's great for their yard. I think the best option depends mostly on how flat the yard is.
    ehLB.jpg
    I'm not sure about tarps, but they usually use sand (which works for a couple of years at best)
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Pavers shift from the ground heaving from yearly freeze/thaw cycles. If you live in an area with real winter weather, there's really no way to avoid heaving. I have a paver patio that has heaved. I'd really like to build a wood deck right on top of it.
    Spider wrote: »

There's not some kind of plastic tarp to put down underneath to keep weeds from growing?

They shift bc of tree roots?

Seeds are always blowing and being dropped by birds ( ever get a mulberry tree in the middle of nothing?) Any speck of sand , dirt or rock can grow something.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    I have a wood deck made out of ipe. We're on a hill with clay soil that moves around quite a bit. So far so good.
    hello.world.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Reading this...I think I'll always stick to wood.
    My yard is flat but the back door is a good foot or higher off the ground. So there would have to be steps down to a paver patio...or a raised deck w/ steps down to the grass.

So for those w/ a raised deck, have any animas ever died, nested or delivered babies under it?

Yes, animals can get under there (but that depends on how the deck is made). You can also get an access panel or door to get under the deck

I've been thinking about the tarp thing. I think one of the first steps is to lay a dark tarp down to kill the grass. I don't think the tarp stays down.
    My yard is flat but the back door is a good foot or higher off the ground. So there would have to be steps down to a paver patio...or a raised deck w/ steps down to the grass.

So for those w/ a raised deck, have any animas ever died, nested or delivered babies under it?

My cat and dogs used to go under there ( terriers) but its open so nothing gets stuck. I have bushes and ornamental grasses to visually block the space , it I've seen some decks with vertical planking or lattice (yuck)
    Our last house had a deck, and underneath was landscaping-anti-weed fabric with several inches of rocks on top. Weeds didn't really grow under there. It was open, about a foot off the ground, but we didn't have any nesting animals under there...not that I knew of anyway...

Not that I'm aware of, but they certainly could. My plans are to store water under there for irrigation. We have 1 1,500 gallon water tank and hope to store at least 4 more.
    hello.world.
    I tend to leave wildlife alone anyway. If something wants to nest near my house, as long as they aren't biting me or stinking up the joint, I'll let them be.
    I tend to leave wildlife alone anyway. If something wants to nest near my house, as long as they aren't biting me or stinking up the joint, I'll let them be.

But if they can get in to nest, they can get in to die. And that's my worry. Been there. It was a very long three months that summer...:goofy:

We put a vinyl white lattice screen underneath to prevent access.

slideshow_1002050744_rbz_Homes_Thrasher_Ln_01.jpg
    hello.world.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file