My tenant threw out my stuff :-(

violetsviolets Posts: 1,689Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I had a bunch of stuff that I left in a my old house. I rented out this house and moved because my commute was too long. I went yesterday to get my bikes to find out she got rid of it all. Over 3000 worth of stuff. She was told not to do this.
She gave away:
- a lawn tractor. The property is over 2 acres of land.
- 3 bikes ( expensive ones)
- A machine to wash the carpet with.
- All of my lawn tools ( hose, rakes,...)
- A tow behind cart for the tractor
- Red gas container
-Weed wacker

She said that since there was nothing on the lease about storage she had the right to do this. I am fuming. Most of the stuff went WITH the house and it was in a corner that did not interfere with her ability to use the 2 car garage. She doesn't use the garage BTW because it is all filled with stuff, boxes all disorganized.
She left 1 bike and a bike rack that I took home.
:(

Comments

• PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    She gave away a lawn mower and tools??? WTH?

Had she said anything to you prior to getting rid of the stuff? How long had the bikes been there?
    3c/4a
  • sKorpio1190sKorpio1190 Posts: 1,862Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Gonna ask my folks about this. They've been landlords for years
    Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity :shock:
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Make no mistake, she sold that stuff.

I think you are SOL bc you didn't mention it in the lease. I have a shed at one of my rentals and my stuff is in it but I keep the shed locked and I specifically mention she doesn't have access to the shed or the stuff inside, in the lease. It's an expensive lesson to learn but what isn't when you're a landlord.

Just ask your atty about the laws in your state.

• LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That stinks.

But, as somebody who is preparing to rent out my own condo, I can't imagine "leaving stuff behind" when a tenant moves in. So while she should have contacted you first, you probably should not have left that stuff there to begin with.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My question is: Why would she do that? Did you two have some sort of ongoing beef that she could be retaliating for? That takes a lot of nerve to do only because she has the "right" to.

I'm not a landlord, but I really don't see why you shouldn't be able to leave some of your own belongings in your own house. You were renting out the house; you didn't sell it to the woman.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    violets wrote: »
    I had a bunch of stuff that I left in a my old house. I rented out this house and moved because my commute was too long. I went yesterday to get my bikes to find out she got rid of it all. Over 3000 worth of stuff. She was told not to do this.
    She gave away:
    - a lawn tractor. The property is over 2 acres of land.
    - 3 bikes ( expensive ones)
    - A machine to wash the carpet with.
    - All of my lawn tools ( hose, rakes,...)
    - A tow behind cart for the tractor
    - Red gas container
    -Weed wacker

She said that since there was nothing on the lease about storage she had the right to do this. I am fuming. Most of the stuff went WITH the house and it was in a corner that did not interfere with her ability to use the 2 car garage. She doesn't use the garage BTW because it is all filled with stuff, boxes all disorganized.
    She left 1 bike and a bike rack that I took home.

Wha....? No, I really doubt she has any right. You have grounds to sue her for value I am certain. Wow.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It may not have been wise to leave the stuff but I can't see how by any stretch this person is not basically "stealing". It's like if I stripped out my appliances in my apartment and sold them. Pretty sure I'd be in deep doodoo legally.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • sKorpio1190sKorpio1190 Posts: 1,862Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My father said he would sue her. Can't hurt
    Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity :shock:
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    She didn't give it all away. She sold it and kept the money. You are probably SOL about the bikes but, if you used the tools at the house while she was living there, not them. I would sue.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
    You should check w/ an atty first. I think it could go either way based on whether the judge believes you had a verbal agreement to store the stuff. And also on the length of time it was left there.

But there is really no way to substantiate any of that stuff was left there. Certainly not $3000 worth. You have no way of proving it existed, unless you have pictures, written acknowledgement or she corroborates your story in court.

When you rent a property, you are giving it to the tenant for the tenant's complete enjoyment. The theory is the tenant shouldn't have to pay rent for property that you are using for storage and depriving them of using, and putting them in the position of having to be responsible for your stuff.

I totally feel for you. Talk to your atty tho.

Yes, confirm your legal options. If there's any possible way, I'd get her the heck out of my house!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • triple_spiraltriple_spiral Posts: 249Registered Users
    3000 dollars worth of missing stuff is big enough to sue, I would think. Do you have anything in writing (you say she was told not to get rid of the stuff....was that verbal)? Especially if the stuff was all in a corner in the garage and she gave you no notice or warning.

Plus I agree that she did not give away a tractor, expensive bikes etc....that stuff was likely sold (maybe you can find who it was sold too? Not sure if you're in a small town).

ETA Actually the more I think about it, the more I think you should get the police involved. At least report your stuff as missing/stolen, and see what they say about the law and your rights here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4a?? Maybe 3c...some 4b??? No clue

tiny s-waves, coils, and spirals

- Cleanser: CJ Daily Fix or KC Come Clean
    - Co-wash: Suave Naturals or V05
    - RO: GVP Conditioning Balm or Tresemme Naturals
    -Stylers: Garnier Pure Clean Gel, CJ Aloe Fix, KCCC

"I remember your childhood hair....flowin' wild at the county fair" - kelley stoltz

"and all the hours that you've been sitting at your vanity....may they carry you far from your misery" - conor oberst
    If she sold it (which I agree she probably did) then that's stealing. You could have her arrested if there's proof enough.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

If she sold it (which I agree she probably did) then that's stealing. You could have her arrested if there's proof enough.

Not if she or judge considers the items abandoned. :-(

montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

In one of my first rentals, I showed an apt with a HUGE solid wood entertainment center in the living room. I had planned to get the piece moved out but the tenants saw it before I had moved it and she asked me if I could leave it bc she didn't have much furniture and it would really help her out, promised to take good care of it, all that. So I agreed bc I wanted to be nice and also bc it would have been a PITA to have moved. But I forgot to add it to the lease. In the end, I had to evict her for nonpayment. So after they finally moved out, I went over to change the locks and the entire entertainment center, all 12 feet of, was smashed to kindling all over the house. I couldn't pursue it legally bc I hadn't documented it. There was no way to prove what it was, where it came from or what agreement we had about it.

You gotta take pics, write a sign off sheet for every room and walk the tenant thru as soon as they move in.

Living room:
    2 unbroken windows
    2 in tact window screens
    2 new sets of mini blinds
    fresh paint job, no holes in walls
    new, flawless tan wall to wall carpet
    one overhead light fixture
    all switch plates and attached

Initial here _______ date here ______

And there have been times when I have sold and given away all kinds of stuff left by my tenants...but only after I had the legal right to do so...bc I could be sued if I hadn't waited until the entire process was over.

• medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Wow, that's so wrong. I feel terrible for you, M. I agree with those who think your tenant didn't throw that stuff away, and most likely sold it. It's not okay to sell other people's property. It's stolen property. Sue her butt! Judge Judy would have a field day with her! Bottom line, explore your legal options.

I hope you have receipts, pictures, etc.. Also check Craigslist to see if your tenant might have sold some of the items there.
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That is absolutely horrible! I hope at some point you're able to get her out of there because if she's that disrespectful of an agreement you had verbally then there is no telling how crappy she'll treat the rest of the house. No doubt she sold that stuff.

When we rented in CT our landlord left things in a shed and we shared the space, but we made sure to stack all his stuff in the corner and not touch it and made double sure the movers knew not to take it when they packed us up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    What was your agreement about taking care of the lawn and yard? Was it her responsibility or yours? If it was yours, did you hire someone to do it? The only way I can see it not working in your favor would be if you hired someone to keep the yard up and they brought their own mower and tools.

Also, for $3,000 total, it probably wouldn't be worth it to get a lawyer involved. You should either take her to small claims court or not.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yea on my rental we list everything: work table in garage ( was my dads) ceiling fans, custom drapes and garden tools.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.

In one of my first rentals, I showed an apt with a HUGE solid wood entertainment center in the living room. I had planned to get the piece moved out but the tenants saw it before I had moved it and she asked me if I could leave it bc she didn't have much furniture and it would really help her out, promised to take good care of it, all that. So I agreed bc I wanted to be nice and also bc it would have been a PITA to have moved. But I forgot to add it to the lease. In the end, I had to evict her for nonpayment. So after they finally moved out, I went over to change the locks and the entire entertainment center, all 12 feet of, was smashed to kindling all over the house. I couldn't pursue it legally bc I hadn't documented it. There was no way to prove what it was, where it came from or what agreement we had about it.

You gotta take pics, write a sign off sheet for every room and walk the tenant thru as soon as they move in.

Living room:
    2 unbroken windows
    2 in tact window screens
    2 new sets of mini blinds
    fresh paint job, no holes in walls
    new, flawless tan wall to wall carpet
    one overhead light fixture
    all switch plates and attached

Initial here _______ date here ______

And there have been times when I have sold and given away all kinds of stuff left by my tenants...but only after I had the legal right to do so...bc I could be sued if I hadn't waited until the entire process was over.
    wow...people...smh
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    How was she supposed to know, legally speaking, that you didn't just leave a bunch of junk in the space she had legally rented?

I found a gross old air mattress at the top of a closet in a studio apartment I rented years ago. Are you saying I was supposed to keep it there for the owner? It was my closet, and I wanted the space. Whether I needed the space or not is irrelevant. I trashed it.

Where's the line between trash you leave behind and stuff you expect the tenant to keep for you in their legally rented space? You're not paying them for storage.

Just another way of looking at it!
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • violetsviolets Posts: 1,689Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    She gave away my lawn tractor,not a lawn mower. That goes with the house, which is in 2 acres.
    She told the real estate agent she was throwing everything out the day she moved in. She was told not to do this. I couldn't have done anything anyway, she gave everything away to the movers that same day and admits to doing this. This woman is also a real estate agent! She just told me with a straight face there was nothing in the lease about storage and so she didnt have to keep any of it. I mean a friking LAWN TRACTOR is an expensive HEAVY piece of equipment. You can't just pick it up and take it.
    She gave me a WATERING CAN left, . Its almost like she enjoyed the entire thing.
    Who Me? wrote: »
    How was she supposed to know, legally speaking, that you didn't just leave a bunch of junk in the space she had legally rented?

I found a gross old air mattress at the top of a closet in a studio apartment I rented years ago. Are you saying I was supposed to keep it there for the owner? It was my closet, and I wanted the space. Whether I needed the space or not is irrelevant. I trashed it.

Where's the line between trash you leave behind and stuff you expect the tenant to keep for you in their legally rented space? You're not paying them for storage.

Everything was pack away in a small separate area of the garage. I can assure you this did not LOOK like junk. My lawn tractor and the bikes were almost new. Like I said, she was told NOT to do this. Verbally, but it was said. She could have at least asked me to take the stuff out or gave me time to get them out. My previous tenant didn't have a problem with this and it was the same stuff.

My real estate agent was also told me that she wanted to give away my son's swing set. This is NOT a cheap metal swingset from a toy store. It a big wooden swingset with a tree house and a rock climber. What next? Kitchen cabinets? The furnace?
    I am renting the house I should be careful to list these things but any person with common sense wouldn't get rid of them.
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    "What?! You wanted to keep your wiring?!" (Sorry. She just seems ridiculous.)

I'm sorry you are going through this. It seems like common sense. She sounds like a thoughtless person.
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
    I think what I am going to do is raise her rent. I wasn't planning to but now I should. Not going to argue with her.
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    Who Me? wrote: »

She could have just asked and given time to pick/move the things. It's not her house. She is RENTING. it is understandable that the equipment to maintain the property is left on the property.

When I BOUGHT my house, they old owners left things. I gave them months to come get it. It really wasn't a big deal.

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. Can you call the moving company and see if they can help (especially if you are going to report the items stolen)
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    were any of things things hanging on the walls? I know when buying you have to disclose that these things are going to be removed as they are considered part of the house. If the bikes were on hooks, you may have some recourse
  • macluanmacluan Posts: 326Registered Users
    OMG, Violets, I am sorry this woman did this to you. I would find a way to get her out of your property as soon as you can. No one with an ounce of concern for your welfare would ever do this. If it was me, I would want her gone baby gone. Good Luck!
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yea I think she sold your stuff and pocketed the money.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file