I-5 Bridge Collapse in Washington State

mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
I-5 bridge collapse: Canadian trucker hauling large load hit Washington bridge; bridge vanished in ‘big puff of dust’ | Toronto Star

This is an hour south of my house and we had just crossed over a few days ago. I'm having nightmares thinking about if it had been me and my kids on that bridge when it collapsed.

Very scary to think of all the again infrastructure around the US (and Canada). A truck clipped the side of the bridge and that was enough to bring it down. Thankfully no one died.

Comments

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I-5 bridge collapse: Canadian trucker hauling large load hit Washington bridge; bridge vanished in ‘big puff of dust’ | Toronto Star

This is an hour south of my house and we had just crossed over a few days ago. I'm having nightmares thinking about if it had been me and my kids on that bridge when it collapsed.

Very scary to think of all the again infrastructure around the US (and Canada). A truck clipped the side of the bridge and that was enough to bring it down. Thankfully no one died.

Can you imagine how bad that guy feels?:silent:

It's remarkable no one died!

• sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    That is very scary! Thank goodness no one died.

This is why I hate bridges. I can drive over them, but I don't like it.
    ehLB.jpg
  • WiregirlWiregirl Posts: 1,695Registered Users
    I've been over this bridge to many times to count! Very scary!
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    I hate driving on bridges. I can feel it through my whole body, this horrible tenseness. Thank goodness no one was hurt!

So scary!
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I hate bridges too! Up until my current car where I didn't have a choice, I've always bought a car with manual windows because its was big fear to be stuck in a car sinking in water.

We drive this bridge roughly once a month and good friends or ours crossed over it 30 minutes prior to this event. I can't imagine how north-south traffic in our region is going to do without it - they are saying it may take 2 years to replace it.

This bridge is one of 150 or so around the US that are identified as needing significant upgrades. I hope this precipitates some action.

I can't imagine. He obviously made a serious error - but I don't think that its reasonable that a single truck should be able to take out an entire bridge section. There HAD to be some significant structural deficiencies.
  • HoneycurlsHoneycurls Posts: 1,889Registered Users
    I read the account of the driver of the truck that went into the water--that is the stuff nightmares are made of.

One thing I'm confused about is the driver of the overturned vehicle. I've read several accounts who all say that only 3 people went into the water--the truck driver and his wife, and the driver of the red car. What about the car that is upside down in the water? Was it just parked on that section of the bridge with no one inside?
    OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
    :lurk: Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me! :confused5::laughing5::jocolor:
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

I can't imagine. He obviously made a serious error - but I don't think that its reasonable that a single truck should be able to take out an entire bridge section. There HAD to be some significant structural deficiencies.

Exactly.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    Honeycurls wrote: »
    I read the account of the driver of the truck that went into the water--that is the stuff nightmares are made of.

One thing I'm confused about is the driver of the overturned vehicle. I've read several accounts who all say that only 3 people went into the water--the truck driver and his wife, and the driver of the red car. What about the car that is upside down in the water? Was it just parked on that section of the bridge with no one inside?

There was some confusion about this. There were only 2 vehicles - the pickup and the red car. But the truck was pulling a camper trailer which turned upside down. I'm not sure if it detached from the pickup - but it was mistakenly identified as a separate 3rd vehicle.

The fact that he was pulling a trailer that took up space probably prevented at least one more car from being on the bridge deck at the time.

That was my first thought when I read the story--not just by hitting the top.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me! :confused5::laughing5::jocolor:
    Honeycurls wrote: »

There was some confusion about this. There were only 2 vehicles - the pickup and the red car. But the truck was pulling a camper trailer which turned upside down. I'm not sure if it detached from the pickup - but it was mistakenly identified as a separate 3rd vehicle.

The fact that he was pulling a trailer that took up space probably prevented at least one more car from being on the bridge deck at the time.

Thanks for the clarification because I've been impatiently waiting for a story that includes an explanation for that upside-down vehicle and how no one could have died or been seriously injured.

• The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Poor trucker. S/he must feel pretty bad.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It's not a DUI or anything, right?

• The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    They gave him a sobriety test but just said he wasn't arrested. So I'm not sure. It's odd they don't just come out and say whether it was DUI or not. It's implied that it wasn't, I guess.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

No I don't believe so. It was a truck carrying an oversized load complete with a pilot car out front.

Witnesses saw the pilot car indicator hit the top corner of the bridge which should have signalled the truck to stop immediately (because it wouldn't clear the bridge). It was suggested that the pilot car wasn't far enough ahead of the truck to give the truck adequate warning to stop in time.

The truck company claims it had logged its travel route and received all the requisite permits from Washington DOT to travel this route (including the bridge) with this sized load, so I don't know what went wrong. If the truck had been in the centre lane, it would have cleared the bridge but the clearance is slightly less on the side lanes.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    So scary! I have friends that crossed this bridge yesterday and friends and family that cross it a few times a month. It's such a busy bridge because all the trucks going from western WA to Canada take it. The detour is really going to suck.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
    mrspoppers wrote: »
    So scary! I have friends that crossed this bridge yesterday and friends and family that cross it a few times a month. It's such a busy bridge because all the trucks going from western WA to Canada take it. The detour is really going to suck.

I know! They said the detour can add an hour to the drive! Traffic was backed up into Canada last night. We have at least 3 trips to Seattle planned (we have a membership to the Woodland Zoo) and a flight out of Sea-Tac. I'm rethinking the flight especially.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    mrspoppers wrote: »

I know! They said the detour can add an hour to the drive! Traffic was backed up into Canada last night. We have at least 3 trips to Seattle planned (we have a membership to the Woodland Zoo) and a flight out of Sea-Tac. I'm rethinking the flight especially.
    According to the press conference this afternoon, they're looking into whether there's a temporary bridge they can install until the real one is rebuilt.

You could always take the train down for your flight. Light rail goes from King Street Station to Seatac.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • Jenny CJenny C Posts: 1,195Registered Users
    I hate bridges too! Up until my current car where I didn't have a choice, I've always bought a car with manual windows because its was big fear to be stuck in a car sinking in water.

OMG me too! Everyone used to think I was nuts, but I always said if I ever fell into water I wanted to be able to roll down the windows and swim my way to safety. I hate bridges, and this collapse is on of my biggest fears.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users

I just read an article where his wife is suggesting that he may not have been at fault.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file