CurlTalk

Ends suddenly dry and gross...help?

I've been naturally curly and CG for under a year, so this is my first winter-to-summer transition. For some reason as soon as the dews in my area (Northeastern US) went above 40 and I switched back to my glycerin products once, my ends started getting disgusting no matter what I do. I've tried using both my winter products (no humectants) and my spring/summer products (with glycerin), but my ends are staying dry and gross. I know I need a trim, but this seemed to happen quickly and excessively rather than over the time since I've had a haircut. The bottom 3" of my hair, overnight, became dry, crunchy, and gross. Deep treatments help for a couple days, but then it goes back to this. Do I deep treat every few days? Give up and cut 3" off my hair? :cry: Something else? Any advice is appreciated! :colors: Thanks!
Liza :sunny:
3a with some 2b-c mixed in / M / ii
medium porosity, good elasticity, ~5" past APL

mod-CG since 7/8/12 - haven't found a good alternative to T-Gel for psoriasis, but avoiding other sulfates and silicones

New to NaturallyCurly and just starting to embrace/figure out my hair! :hello2:

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    If it's only the ends that would suggest to me you need a trim ASAP, perhaps they are much more porous so not responding well to the climate regardless of what you do. Could try clarifying/ chelating and some coconut oil soaks to try to reduce the porosity, but the longer you hold onto damaged ends the more you risk them damaging healthy younger hair.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect