Pre-braids routine

sakiohmasakiohma Posts: 104Registered Users
What do you/should you do before getting braids? Like, should I detangle, wash, and put all my moisturizers in before my braid appointment? I think that's what I've been doing wrong so far. Like when I was relaxed, I would just show up out of the blue for my hair appointment (sometimes even right after work), plop down in the stylist chair and let them do their magic. This worked when I was relaxed and in my early stages of transitioning, but now that most of my hair is natural, I'm thinking I should prepare before going to the salon.

This may seem like a big "duh" to most people, but I am truly curious. What do you do to your hair before your braid appointment? For my last appointment, I just showed up like usual and my hair wasn't freshly detangled. The stylist basically ripped my hair (I could see large chuncks of my hair flying in front of my face) out with a comb and blow dried it trying to straighten it before braiding it and when I asked if she could add some type of moisturizer (they was a huge tub of moisturizer in front of us) to ease the pain, she rejected my offer saying that she couldn't.

I quickly learned that hair braiding salons only braid and that's it. No washes or care for the health of your hair. But now I feel selfish thinking I was the one in the wrong. I should have detangled my hair before going to the salon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using CurlTalk App
TYPE 4 FINE/COARSE LOW POROSITY HIGH DENSITY
TRANSITIONED: Since Dec 23, 2010 (I think...)
BC DATE: July 23, 2013 (about 31 months)
7/23/13 :: SL
1/9/14 :: CBL
5/13/14 :: APL

I :love1:Shea Moisture, Nubian Heritage, Camille Rose!

Comments

• InimitableInimitable Posts: 148Registered Users
    I prepped my hair before going to a braiding shop even when I was relaxed. I wash and do a protein and deep treatment either one or 2 days prior. I make sure I use my Holy Grail products to ensure great results. If it's to days before the appointment I will allow my hair to air dry in 4-8 cornrows, then the day prior i redo the cornrows for extra stretch and to make sure I'm de tangles well. I go to the shop in 4-8 plaits. If I do my washing the day before I do the same thing, but since my hair wont be totally dry I will lightly blow dry it out after its been in braids for a few hours. Take coconut oil with you or whatever you want them to use on your hair. I know they place I go uses blue magic and jam, I just don’t want those on my hair so I take my own products.
    BC'd July 1, 2011:love10:
    Bella is dense, thick, with low porosity

Sporadic Rants in Blog Form
  • 7OH4_QC7OH4_QC Posts: 57Registered Users
    Yes! I definitely did a protein and detangled my own hair before I let then man-handle my thick mane! If you could, clip your ends as well, you won't see them for a while once those braids are in.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using CurlTalk App
  • sakiohmasakiohma Posts: 104Registered Users
    Thank you both so much ;___; I never got braids before in my life until about half way into my natural hair transition. Can any of you recommend a good protein treatment? Any all-in-one product I can just buy from the store and don't have to worry about mixing eggs with mayo or anything?
    TYPE 4 FINE/COARSE LOW POROSITY HIGH DENSITY
    TRANSITIONED: Since Dec 23, 2010 (I think...)
    BC DATE: July 23, 2013 (about 31 months)
    7/23/13 :: SL
    1/9/14 :: CBL
    5/13/14 :: APL

I :love1:Shea Moisture, Nubian Heritage, Camille Rose!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file