They ruined Merida.

claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
princessmeridabeforeafter_zps321b06b9.jpg

Comments

• Fifi.GFifi.G Registered Users Posts: 15,490 Curl Neophyte
    :( Not pleased.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    ??
  • juanabjuanab Registered Users Posts: 4,037 Curl Neophyte

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    i signed the petition - especially since my hair has looked EXACTLY like the picture on the left for the past couple of days!

:D

now... i just need to get a Merida doll for my collection of red-haired dolls. stupid shipping from Disney is $25!

:(

off to eBay when i get home....
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    It appears Disney has decided to scrap the makeover.

Link to story here.
  • ElizabethFaithElizabethFaith Registered Users Posts: 429
    What did they do to her? I haven't seen the article.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Curly and PROUD!!!

My hair has a mix of low/med/high porosity, and it's medium textured (some are still fine, though!)

CG since Sept. 2011
    Cowash: Vo5/Suave Naturals/Tresemme Naturals*
    RO/LI: GVPCB*, Tresemme Naturals*
    Low-poo: Shea Moisture Moisture Retention
    Stylers: KCKT*, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Honey*

* represents my HGs!!! Finally!!!
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    They have done this with all their princess's and I don't like it. Even Cinderella I don't like. They gave them all cat shaped eyes...fuller bodies...really? I wish they would undo all their changes. I love the original Cinderella...what little girl doesn't?
  • claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
    I agree.

Don't foist sexy on little girls, Disney. It happens too soon regardless.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    I agree.

Don't foist sexy on little girls, Disney. It happens too soon regardless.

And as a lesser point, from an artistic perspective, why do all the Disney "princesses" have to look the same? Why is the same illustration style used for all? The huge bobbleheads and huge eyes and tiny feet and the plastic-mold clothing and lack of shading? I always hated the Disney "look" and would have loved to see other interpretations while I was growing up.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I hate ALL the Disney princesses. It's all shlock. Bad art. Bad messages. I don't give Disney any of my money.
  • ElizabethFaithElizabethFaith Registered Users Posts: 429
    I'm not surprised one bit. I knew it was bound to happen, but never really expected it to. I prefer Merida's original look.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Curly and PROUD!!!

My hair has a mix of low/med/high porosity, and it's medium textured (some are still fine, though!)

CG since Sept. 2011
    Cowash: Vo5/Suave Naturals/Tresemme Naturals*
    RO/LI: GVPCB*, Tresemme Naturals*
    Low-poo: Shea Moisture Moisture Retention
    Stylers: KCKT*, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Honey*

* represents my HGs!!! Finally!!!
  • adorame06adorame06 Registered Users Posts: 572
    I was not surprised to see that they have tried to change her up, they seem to have done so with all the Disney Princesses. Not only that but Disney also let Barneys collaborate with fashion designers to give new looks to Minnie Mouse , Daisy Duck ( and a few other characters as well) for their Chrismas window display. The exuse given to why they enlongated them to be thin like a model was silly.Yahoo! Shine - Women's Lifestyle | Healthy Living and Fashion Blogs also just recently I came across this Always A Girly Girl: NEW! Couture de Minnie | OPI on a nail blog and I was a little surprised to see how the display looks featuring Minnie Mouse all skinny looking and NOT how she usually looks. Why change her up for nail polish??? Funny thing, the Muppets had a collection out and Miss Piggy looked as she always has Beauty Logic: Opi Muppet Nail Polish Collection Review & Swatches & Weekend Updates so they could of just let Minnie alone for displays adds as well.
    CG on 2/16/2010
    My curls looks like the 3a pictures
    Hair length is to my bra strap, it's fine textured, but the density is thick, not much elasticity, Naturally Blonde but Color treated because of graying going on

My hair loves
    coconut oil
    Homemade FSG
    Hair one for my co wash
    Ecostyler olive oil

Princess Brandy Brat, Chief Jewel Crafter and Royal Nanny to the Court of the Red and White Rose for the Order of the Curly Crusaders.
  • scrillsscrills Registered Users Posts: 6,700
    I guess I'm the only one who doesn't see that big a of change. The change to her face shape is most notable but because they are using different illistration techniques I really don't see it
    Scrills, don't make me disinvite you to DSW!

Look at her hair, her expression, the way her dress fits.
  • chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    Her features her hair. And no bow.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    Maybe it's because I spend my nights and weekends trying to turn a cartoon into reality, I see more of them turning her from 3D to 2D. Overall her features have less dimension and are flatter. I can see the difference in her face, but I don't think it "ruined" her.

And besides, you are going to DSW way too early :-P

ETA: her hair is fuller, her eyes are rounder, but still :-)
    Since we have already discussed this matter, I will politely accept your opinion.

(Geez, you think I want to go that early? I have to get it over with, is what.)
  • rapunzel4everrapunzel4ever Registered Users Posts: 557
    They have done this with all their princess's and I don't like it. Even Cinderella I don't like. They gave them all cat shaped eyes...fuller bodies...really? I wish they would undo all their changes. I love the original Cinderella...what little girl doesn't?

They were all perfect in their own way, why change it? And I think the new "princesses" have a common look, nothing special about either one. It's a real shame!
    And you're also so right about Cinderella, the original version was so perfect! Why try and fix something that ain't broken?!

_____
    2b-c/3a med/fine- low porosity- normal elasticity, BSL
    2B/C-3A) fine - low porosity
    Routine:
    Wash: Daily Fix,SMT, Kesham, Urtekram
    RO: Motions CPR Li, Inecto Cocos co, AO GPB, KCTT
    acv-rinse, sometimes honey-rinse
    LI: coconut oil (winter), CJBC-LI
    Styling: AVG, Etos Solid Power Gel, Taft gel, CJPP, JCCC, BRHG
    Plopping~Pixiecurl diffuse~clipping
    KrullenWijzer.blogspot.nl
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    scrills wrote: »
    I guess I'm the only one who doesn't see that big a of change. The change to her face shape is most notable but because they are using different illistration techniques I really don't see it

I kind if feel the way you do too. I see the changes in her eyes, but I feel as if the makeover made her look older, like 14/15 when even tomboys admit to liking boys and pay attention to their appearance. I actually think her hips are larger and her hair is bigger. I don't think she needs to be changed, but I don't get all of the outrage.

OT - And I guess I am the only one who noticed Jasmine went from being medium dark brown to slightly tan over the past five years. That annoys me.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
    ^^ Ive been thinking about that too. She looks older

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlTalk App
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    She does look older, more mature, and refined. Why does she have to have such a drastic change? Pretty, sexy princesses are a dime a dozen. Why not let her 'age' or grow up over time and future movies. Why not just let her stay awkward, frizzy haired, and spunky? Anyone can be beautiful but not everyone stands out as their own person based on personality and not looks.
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    scrills wrote: »

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I do see it a little after looking realllyy hard.
  • TRBLTRBL Registered Users Posts: 5,294 Curl Connoisseur
    Hairwise (curl not color) it seems to me that they took her from this:

1989-nicole-kidman-before.jpg

to this:

Nicole-Kidman_0.jpg

Still curly - but with a curling iron.
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
  • vwbruins46vwbruins46 Registered Users Posts: 6
    I don't think they ruined her. They had to change her from 3D to 2D, which is easier said then done. Of course she's going to look a little different, but I don't see anything controversial about it.
  • Laura LeeLaura Lee Registered Users Posts: 1,828
    I think the hair change was necessary with the rendering from 3D to 2D. The animation of her hair in the movie was actually a big breakthrough in animation technology. It's very difficult to achieve and took literally years to develop the techniques used.

I think making her face and body thinner was unnecessary though.
  • lcl0706lcl0706 Registered Users Posts: 959
    eh, you can still have messy curls in 2D. her new ones are too perfect. and she would have hated her new dress. to me, making Merida a princess at all is pretty contradictory of her character.
    :wave: fine, thin, normal/(low?) porosity. Mod-CG. Usually I can't co-wash more than 1x a week, & sometimes I have to use T-Gel in rotation due to scalp issues.

Co-wash: VO5 Volumizing
    Poo: Giovanni 50:50
    RO:TN, Nexxus Youth Renewal, Alba Coconut
    LI: KCKT
    PT: gelatin PT, ION EC
    Stylers: Giovanni mousse, TIGI Curls Rock amplifier (a-cone), Curls Rock Strong Hold Mousse
    Gels: SCC spray gel

hairsiggy-4-1.jpg
  • Jas76Jas76 Registered Users Posts: 2,283 Curl Neophyte
    Agreed that she needed messier hair, but that's not as bothersome to me as the way they "skinnied" her.

She also looks... Older, I think. More mature faced.
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    TRBL wrote: »
    Hairwise (curl not color) it seems to me that they took her from this:

1989-nicole-kidman-before.jpg

to this:

Nicole-Kidman_0.jpg

Still curly - but with a curling iron.

Yep and carrie bradshaws hair too from the beginning to the end of SATC.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file