CurlTalk

Hair analysis waiting board

NelekeNeleke Posts: 456Registered Users
Hi everyone!

Are there still other curlies anxiously awaiting their hair analysis?
I've sent my samples on april 12th and they should be in Florida for 3 weeks now. I'm so impatient :p.
So coming to say hi and wondering if there are other impatient curlies :p
2c: fine texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity, normal-high density
CG since March 8th 2013
Low Poo: Rainforest Radiance shampoo
Conditioner: Yes to Cucumbers
Styler: BRHG, Garnier Fructis Gel
PT: Gliss Kur Repair & Volume

iherb.com: get a 5$ discount on orders under 40$ or a 10$ discount on orders over 40$ when you order for your first order by using the following discount code: CFH441

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    Which analysis, Live Curly Live Free or Komaza Care?
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • NelekeNeleke Posts: 456Registered Users
    Live Curly Live Free, I didn't even know about Komaza Care :p
    CG since March 8th 2013

iherb.com: get a 5$ discount on orders under 40$ or a 10$ discount on orders over 40$ when you order for your first order by using the following discount code: CFH441
  • LauraimesLauraimes Posts: 880Registered Users
    Neleke, was it expensive to ship? I believe you're from Belgium, if I remember correctly, so shipping rates should be similar for us.
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Fine, low porosity, high density, normal elasticity
    Hairtype 2c

Low poo: Petal Fresh Organics Rosemary & Mint Volumizing Shampoo
    Protein: Colorful Neutral Protein Filler
    Detangler/RO: KCKT (winter) or Curl Junkie Beauticurls Argan & Olive Oil (summer)
    Styling: KCCC

Beauty Is Not a Number
    Lauraimes, my hair sample and the letter with information you needed to send with it fitted in a normal sized rectangular envelope and weighed like.. 20gr or so.
    Therefore it only cost me 1,34€ to ship. And the hair analysis itself cost me around 15 euros, so it really was less expensive than I expected.

And yes, I am from Belgium.
    CG since March 8th 2013

Thanks, Neleke! Great, I should definitely get a hair analysis soon :-)
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Detangler/RO: KCKT (winter) or Curl Junkie Beauticurls Argan & Olive Oil (summer)

Beauty Is Not a Number
  • sKorpio1190sKorpio1190 Posts: 1,862Registered Users
    Sent mine in on April 22. I can't wait to get them :bounce:
    Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity :shock:
    Talk about weird. I just got them after I posted that. I'm disappointed with my results :-/
    Aw, why are you disappointed, sKorpio?
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Beauty Is Not a Number
    Skorpio: you got your results after sending your hair on april 22nd? Why didn't I get mine after sending on april 12th then? (shipping time = 3-4 work days)... I sure hope my hair didn't get lost while shipping...
    CG since March 8th 2013

did you have the live curly live free analysis as well skorpio? Or was it another one?
    CG since March 8th 2013

Neleke wrote: »
    did you have the live curly live free analysis as well skorpio? Or was it another one?

Nope. That's the one!
    Lauraimes wrote: »
    Aw, why are you disappointed, sKorpio?

Opposite of what I thought my hair was. The recommendations are for things my hair has not liked also :-/
    What does LCLF do in this analysis? Does she use microscopy or a visual/ tactile assessment or what? It doesn't say on the website.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Aw, that's too bad! And it must be confusing. The only reason why I'd get one done is to get my properties confirmed so I can imagine your frustration. What are your properties according to your own assessment and theirs?
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Beauty Is Not a Number
  • RizosMioRizosMio Posts: 141Registered Users
    What does LCLF do in this analysis? Does she use microscopy or a visual/ tactile assessment or what? It doesn't say on the website.
    I think it might be a high powered microscope but nothing extremely sophisticated. LCLF doesn't analyze the scalp or give any information on scalp health so I don't think they use a trichoscope or anything...but they don't say.

I did the LCLF analysis and found it generic. I'm waiting on the Komaza consultation call which will be on Wednesday finally! After that I'm thinking of doing a hair mineral analysis which tells you if you're low/normal/elevated on a ton of minerals. My hair is fine and gives me zero problems, I'm just so stinkin' curious :lol:

Edit:
    Neleke wrote: »
    Skorpio: you got your results after sending your hair on april 22nd? Why didn't I get mine after sending on april 12th then? (shipping time = 3-4 work days)... I sure hope my hair didn't get lost while shipping...
    I sent my BF's hair like 2 weeks before mine yet we got our results the same day. I think you should be fine, but send them an email just in case if you're worried.
    Aw, that's too bad! And it must be confusing. The only reason why I'd get one done is to get my properties confirmed so I can imagine your frustration. What are your properties according to your own assessment and theirs?

I thought low porosity and fine texture. They save average porosity and medium texture

I thought low porosity and fine texture. They save average porosity and medium texture

Well, that explains, I think. As far as I know, normal porosity and medium texture are properties that like a lot as long as you find the right balance between things like moisture/protein, etc. With regards to using products the analysis doesn't recommend, well, most CGs wouldn't recommend sulfate poos either but there are people around here who use them on a weekly basis without any problems. I think a hair analysis is a guideline to help you discover what works for you, not a prescription that you have to follow no matter what. Perhaps do some more research to learn more about your new properties and see if it explains certain things.
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Beauty Is Not a Number
    RizosMio wrote: »
    I think it might be a high powered microscope but nothing extremely sophisticated. LCLF doesn't analyze the scalp or give any information on scalp health so I don't think they use a trichoscope or anything...but they don't say.

I did the LCLF analysis and found it generic. I'm waiting on the Komaza consultation call which will be on Wednesday finally! After that I'm thinking of doing a hair mineral analysis which tells you if you're low/normal/elevated on a ton of minerals. My hair is fine and gives me zero problems, I'm just so stinkin' curious :lol:

Thanks, I am going to do the Komaza Care analysis at some point, it sounds really detailed and fascinating. I really need to know how much 'old' abused hair I have left that is not salvageable long term and how much of the 'new' CG/ cared for hair is reasonably healthy. Apparently Komaza Care will tell you about the difference between root area and ends not just an overview of porosity..
    Komaza Care HAIR ANALYSIS Service - Rave! - Long Hair Care Forum

• LynaeaLynaea Posts: 394Registered Users

sKorpio, that's really not that different than what you thought and if your hair acts more like low porosity then maybe you're the lower end of medium. ShelleyRN(might not have username exactly right, sorry) has said she went to the LCLF salon and at first they thought she was medium/medium but after working with her hair decided it acted like fine/low porosity.

There is a thread dedicated to medium/medium hair on the medium porosity board, might be worth it to check it out, but if what you are doing is working than go by what the hair on your head says, not someone who only had access to a few strands of it. I'm not knocking the hair analysis, I'll probably do it eventually but the accuracy is only as good as the method used and the range or scale used and really we have no idea how she runs the testing.
    :nemo: 2A / F / MD / LP / ?E / BSL --- CG since Dec. 2012 :nemo:

This is what I'm happiest with right now.
    Co-wash: CJ DailyFix
    Lo-poo: DermOrganic low-poo
    RO: SS Caitlin's co
    Leave-in: SheScentIt Okra Repair condish
    PT: SS Caitlin's + SS PT
    Stylers: Volumax Mega Gel, Max Green Styling Gel, DermOrganics Spray Gel
    Techniques: Plopping & Pixie Diffusing.
    :thumbdown: glycerin, honey, oils & butters :thumright: Protein!
    Oops, double post

RizosMio, how did the call go? I'm curious to hear about the Komaza analysis!
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Beauty Is Not a Number
    It was crazy thorough! So right after one buys the analysis one gets a health questionnaire (body and hair) to fill and submit. Right before the call they send you pictures of your hair strands. So my call started by going over every single photo to make sure I understood what I was seeing. Afterward we went over every question on the questionnaire and she would input where improvements can be made. And lastly she answered any question in general that I may have.

I don't really have any issues with my hair, but this analysis really has the potential to help someone that is experience extreme dryness or breakage or just not progressing in general. Also great to just know the overall condition of the hair.

As far as me! She said I had coarse strands (they measured .105 to .138 millimeters or 105 to 138 micrometers) and said my cuticles were slightly lifted indicating normal porosity, which is what LCLF told me too. She typed me as 3C. My issues were in my relaxed hair which show high porosity, chewed and lifted cuticles, breakage, worn hair in general, so a big chop is definitely in order but uhhh I dunno when I'm going for it :D We talked about when I might like we were besties or something, lol. She loved that I don't use heat, she surprisingly loved that I recently implemented a shampoo in my regimen. She said to use it weekly. I was also given suggestions on what to eat to help treat my scalp issues (oiliness, mild seborrheic dermatitis). Their written report is very extensive with many vitamins and foods to eat and of course a summary of the conversation. I may do their analysis yearly just to make sure the hair is on track, they offer a discount once you're a customer.

Definitely way better than the copy-paste job LCLF does but considering the price difference, I'd hope so! :lol:
    Neleke, are you still waiting for yours? Just a thought, you might want to check your e-mail junk folder, maybe???

RizosMio, I've read a very extensive thread on a different forum and they all experienced the same as you. It really sounds worthwhile the money, even though it's more expensive. Did LCLF identify the same properties as Komaza?
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Beauty Is Not a Number
    Thanks for the update Rizosmio! I think it's great we have those two options, the cheaper basic service from LCLF and more expensive detailed analysis from Komaza.

Is all your relaxed hair in that condition or were they able to suggest losing a modest amount immediately then trimming the rest over time? I know from my 'journey' growing out chemical and mechanical damage it is such a challenge babying two hair types but so hard losing inches!

Yes, I got the same exact properties from both LCLF and Komaza.
    Is all your relaxed hair in that condition or were they able to suggest losing a modest amount immediately then trimming the rest over time? I know from my 'journey' growing out chemical and mechanical damage it is such a challenge babying two hair types but so hard losing inches!
    She stressed a few times that the last 3 inches really have to go and it was written in my report a few times too. She said that as the hair is resistant in general that it has held up well to my past abuses (lol) but she still recommends all the relaxer to go, with emphasis on those last 3 inches. I've only been transitioning 13 months...I don't want to cut yet but I'll get rid of the 3 inches and keep the rest for a bit. The pics of those ends were pretty mean-looking. :lol:
    Still waiting so I still belong to the hair analysis waiting board I created :p

I sent an e-mail to their salesmailadress last Thursday and sent another one on their "info"mailadress yesterday. Haven't gotten an answer yet though.
    I'm starting to get a little bit worried.
    I don't really think it is their fault or something, but I'm worried that my hair got lost overseas or something like that. (It did have to travel around 7400 kilometres...)

I really like it though that you got the same results from Komaza and LCLF, RizosMio. (although Komaza was more detailed ofcourse)
    That gives me more confidence about both services as well (it can't be an accident that they agree).
    I might do the Komaza one in a couple of years or so (whenever I work and have more money than with being a student now).

I really want my results so I would know what to do... It wouldn't frustrate me that hard if I just had an idea what my hair properties were but I keep on changing my mind!
    I really don't have a clue what they are and so I need help.
    The longer I have to wait for my results, the longer I will keep on having not-great hairdays :(.
    CG since March 8th 2013

Neleke, I understand your frustration. However, try to embrace your hair as it is right now. I think we all tend to raise the bar a little too high in the beginning, leading to even more frustration when we don't get those fantastic results we see in the before & after thread.

I've been unconsciously CG for a few years now, but they discontinued both my low-poo and conditioner, and it turned out that my styler had a few cones (so I wasn't entirely CG, but the poo and condish were entirely natural). Then I decided to delve into the world of CG and figured I had coarse hair, low porosity, high density. I was sure about all of them and bought new products accordingly.

I turned out to be wrong. My hair totally responded like fine hair and I figured that out because of my product choices. It takes trial and error, and good observing of your hair to figure out what it likes and dislikes. A hair analysis can help with that journey.

Perhaps it helps if I explain my properties (self-assessed!).

Low porosity: my hair doesn't get wet easily and if I use a spray bottle to spray it wet, I get all these beads just sitting on my hair. I have to use products with oils in them sparingly because again, these tend to sit on my hair and weigh it down.

Fine hair: as I've said, I was convinced I had coarse hair. I struggled for a long time to accept that it's actually fine. I get overconditioned very easily and again, my hair being weighed down quite fits the image. Also, I stayed away from protein because I thought it was coarse, but my hair seemed to lack life and was very limp. That's why I tried protein and though it's not a massive difference, it definitely perks it up. Also, people told me I lacked a frame of reference which is true! You could compare it to the hairs down there, though. If it's the same, then it's normal width. You may guess the other two options.

High density: I just have a lot of hair, and very voluminous as well!

So far, I've noticed that my hair dislikes cones and sulfates, leading to being fuzzy (not even necessarily frizzy because I am not frizz-prone). It responds well to protein and perhaps I can even add more to my routine, like a PT such as CJ Repair Me! (but it's expensive and I'm a student, just like you). Other characteristics are that it gets weighed down easily so I have to be careful with heavy ingredients. I know some other low porous/fine haired curlies can use them in minute amounts, but usually only in a product and not "pure." I also noticed my hair experiences some build-up and frizz when wet when I have used CJ CQ, and it turns out that this is because of polyquats, so when I have to get a new styling product (which will be soon, yay!), I'll stay away from polyquats.

Honestly, I'm still everything but sure about my properties and I would love to find something that actually really works, but I like the fact that it's a journey. My biggest problem is finding a styling product with enough hold. My hair is so heavy. I also struggle with the moisture balance.

Hope this helps you in whatever way. You should enjoy and embrace your hair (which I know is difficult if it just doesn't do what you want it to).
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Hairtype 2c

Beauty Is Not a Number
    my biggest frustration is that like 5 weeks ago, my hair was really awesome for 2 weeks. But really awesome!
    Now it isn't anymore, and I don't know what caused that...
    Hope to know more whenever I get my results (which hopefully is soon).

I would even like it if they would send me and email with "we didn't get your hair so we can't analyse it". At least I know what's happening then.
    I just have to be patient I guess...

The post office told me my letter (ofcourse I didn't tell them it was hair :p) would arrive in Florida 3-4 days later so that would've been april 17th-april 18th. Counting from then, it has been 5 weeks. Which isn't that bad I realize :p but still :p. I'll be a very happy girl whenever I get my results.

(and yes I checked my spamfolder :p)
    CG since March 8th 2013

Fine hair: as I've said, I was convinced I had coarse hair. I struggled for a long time to accept that it's actually fine. I get overconditioned very easily and again, my hair being weighed down quite fits the image. Also, I stayed away from protein because I thought it was coarse, but my hair seemed to lack life and was very limp. That's why I tried protein and though it's not a massive difference, it definitely perks it up. Also, people told me I lacked a frame of reference which is true! You could compare it to the hairs down there, though. If it's the same, then it's normal width. You may guess the other two options.
    I went through this with my porosity. I thought up and down that it was low but high density plus thick hair can result in strands that seem lo-po apparently. It took me a long time to change the property in my siggy after my LCLF analysis...it's funny how we kind of identify with these things to the point where it's hard to accept if told otherwise.

Neleke, try emailing marypat@livecurlylivefree.com . This is the email that sent me the report.