Vinegar in my conditioner, wow

YoshimiYoshimi Posts: 237Registered Users
After getting home from my trip a couple of weeks ago and realizing that my hair didn't like my local water as much, I decided to try vinegar in my conditioner (to save me the step of an extra rinse). I added about 50mls to 200mls of conditioner, and tried it out.

I found that I couldn't detangle using this mix, but that if I used it after my low poo, then used straight conditioner afterwards, I get the most amazing spring in my curls. They're consistently shiny and friz free and just seem to pop better.

I'm utterly amazed at the results I keep getting. Has anyone else tried anything similar?
2C, Medium thickness, Low posity
Recovering from a year of keratin and bleach with CG

Routine

Low Poo, Condition, Leave in, Curl cream, Supersoak, Gel, Diffuse on high heat, with minimal lift to encourage waves and reduce frizz, Dry on cool with nozzle down to smooth hair and finish drying,Shine Serum

Weekly gelatin protien treatments.

Comments

• NelekeNeleke Posts: 456Registered Users
    I will have to try that, probably on sunday I will.
    Do you know if it would have any negative side effects on colourtreated hair? (like the colour fading easier or so...)
    2c: fine texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity, normal-high density
    CG since March 8th 2013
    Low Poo: Rainforest Radiance shampoo
    Conditioner: Yes to Cucumbers
    Styler: BRHG, Garnier Fructis Gel
    PT: Gliss Kur Repair & Volume

iherb.com: get a 5$ discount on orders under 40$ or a 10$ discount on orders over 40$ when you order for your first order by using the following discount code: CFH441
  • YoshimiYoshimi Posts: 237Registered Users
    My hair is colored, but has already faded (thank god because I had a dying disaster last time and it went almost black, not a good look on a natural red head with freckles) but I think that's more to do with the cleanser in my low poo.

Thinking back to my knitting days when I used to dye yarn though, we used vinegar to fix the colors to the yarn, stopping them from running, so if anything I would expect it to help prolong your color.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using CurlTalk App

Routine

Low Poo, Condition, Leave in, Curl cream, Supersoak, Gel, Diffuse on high heat, with minimal lift to encourage waves and reduce frizz, Dry on cool with nozzle down to smooth hair and finish drying,Shine Serum

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm going to try this! Always up for trying anything that will add shine and spring to my curls. Thanks for posting.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Please be careful adding vinegar to conditioner, by all means do small batches but not the whole bottle. If you change the pH you can prevent the preservatives or stabilisers from working effectively.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    my curls definitely need shine and spring now. They seem to be like a big dry mess now :p (not really messy since I still get a lot of compliments about my hair :p but it has been better :p)

And is that just normal vinegar you used? or apple cider vinegar? (I wonder if I can even get apple cider vinegar in belgium... never seen it before)
    CG since March 8th 2013

iherb.com: get a 5$ discount on orders under 40$ or a 10$ discount on orders over 40$ when you order for your first order by using the following discount code: CFH441
    Good to know, thanks

Routine

I used white vinegar as it was all I had in the cupboard

Routine

• Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I do this all the time! I mix ACV in my RO (not every time), and have no trouble detangling.
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
    I think my problem was that my ro ended up too watery to give me the slip I need. I might have slightly better results using a little less vinegar

Routine

• awelcomeawelcome Posts: 167Registered Users
    I love how my hair reacted to the acv rinse I did last weekend and wanted to find something that acted the same way as a sealer to replace that for a more day to day thing. So far I tried MO, but not sure I am getting very good results. I just hadn't wanted to do a full acv rinse every day, but maybe I will try adding a little to my RO. Might help avoid the smell and it being too harsh by itself to use too often if that's even a concern... I don't know lol.
    My Hair:
    2c
    Fine, low porosity, med/high density
    BSL - going for mid back to waist

HG: currently
    just washing with a low poo that contains protein (Alba Naturals Coconut) and using Suave Naturals Coconut as both a RO and LI. No stylers right now, but this gives me pretty good curl, definition, low-ish frizz, and it feels and looks good. Also an occasional PT (liking the Palmer's Coconut Oil Formula which has cones) seems to be key for me.

Modified CG since February 2013

• Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I only add ACV to my RO once or twice a week. :)
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
    that's about what I was thinking I'd start with too.
    My Hair:
    2c

just washing with a low poo that contains protein (Alba Naturals Coconut) and using Suave Naturals Coconut as both a RO and LI. No stylers right now, but this gives me pretty good curl, definition, low-ish frizz, and it feels and looks good. Also an occasional PT (liking the Palmer's Coconut Oil Formula which has cones) seems to be key for me.

• pinkwolfpinkwolf Posts: 430Registered Users Curl Novice
    Oh I will have to try this. I have tried lemon juice to a cheapie condish and loved the results :-)

Sent from my N861 using CurlTalk App
    *Natural 3C/TWA* :toothy7:
    Wash: BS/ACV, ABS, KC Come Clean
    Conditioner: Garnier WB Honey Treasures
    , Garnier WB Apple & Green Tea
    Pre-Poo: Oils & Honey Mix
    DC: Garnier WB Honey Treasures Mask, SM 10-N-1

PT: Super Mayo Deep Conditioning Treatment
    Styler:
    KCCC
    Leave-In: KCKT
    Moisturizer:
    Whipped Shea Butter
    Oil/Sealant:
    EVCO, Jojoba
  • mhen76mhen76 Posts: 813Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Crap! Here I go again! You girls get me trying some interesting things! I haven't done an ACV rinse in a while but I'm intrigued about adding it my RO. Gonna have to put up with the eye rolls from my hubby. He chuckles when he finds "weird stuff" in the shower. You know - lube, honey, yogurt, snot (that's what he calls FSG). He's learned the difference between a plop and a pineapple (which he calls "chicken head"), but he can't seem to grasp all the "weird stuff" that shows up in the shower.
    3B, fine, normal to low porosity
    Modified CG since June 2010
    HGs: FSG, anything with glycerin, Tresemme Naturals conditioner, Curls Like Us cloths, satin pillowcases.
    mhen76, have you tried avocado on your hair? :p I did, and that gives even more eye rolls than honey or yoghurt :p since it is green... I was like... putting a liquid version of the Hulk on my hair :p
    CG since March 8th 2013

So I did this today, added about 1/2 tsp vinegar to about 2-3 tsp of conditioner, raked it through my hair and rinsed it out. I actually did my regular RO first though because I was too afraid to leave the vinegar mix on for any length of time, but I was pleased with the results. I don't know if it was a coincidence or the fact that I got by with much less touching of my hair today in the styling process (working on technique lately) , or if it can all be attributed to the acv, but I had a pretty low frizz day (even after spending much of my day in the muggy heat). My curls were very soft looking which was nice, but with so much conditioner today (I used the same conditioner as a LI too) I lacked much definition and they were almost TOO soft. I didn't put any other products in today though since I am still trying to figure out what products I like, and when/how to apply them since I get frizz if I touch it too much. Anyway, the vinegar part at least did a nice job of fighting the frizz so I may do this more often and just make sure to combine with some defining and holding type products. Thanks for the suggestion.

I actually got a very nice compliment on my hair today, and someone asked how I did that to my hair... it's funny because she sees me every day and I have been curly since mid February. But she was surprised when I told her I was naturally curly and asked if I normally straighten it. So I guess the curl was more obvious today without all that frizz blocking the view rofl.
    My Hair:
    2c

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I add vinegar to my hair while there is lots of conditioner in it. Really makes detangling much easier.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • anshansh Posts: 11Registered Users
    Vinegar in my conditioner is very best for hair dry .
  • [Anonymous User][Anonymous User] Posts: 0 Curl Connoisseur
    OMG! My hair LOVED this!! I sometimes rinse with straight ACV...never get extravagant results, but used white vinegar mixed with Jessie Curl Too Shea. WOW! The cleanser detangles with no issue, THIS just made the hair happy and it felt GOOD. Calmed it down a bit, too! Thanks for sharing!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file