CurlTalk

Racism: do you think it's going away in the US or making a comeback?

BeautyisMireeBeautyisMiree Posts: 202Registered Users
When I was 6, I never knew what racism. I went to a predominant white elementary school and I never really experienced racism from the kids until 1st Grade. I remember when it was black history month they never spent time to talk about it and the reason why we have it. They only talked about MLK and that was for 5 minutes. Anyways everybody would stare at me and the throughout the whole entire day. The kids kept asking me about my hair and then touching it without permission. I complained to the teachers about it and they just ignored me. There was one time I forgot to put lotion on and one boy asked me if I was trying to be white and that it would be better if I was (around 4th grade). After a while I began to hate myself and wish I was white. I realized what I was thinking was wrong so in 5th grade I told my dad to take me out of the school and I began a self love journey.

Now I go to a diverse middle school which I like.

I went to a laundry mat a few days ago with my family and by accident I took a mans basket. After returning it to him, he came up to my family saying "Do you speak English?" We answered yes and out of no where we hear "You f*****g thieves, why the hell did you touch my basket? We don't need you people in our country, you should've stuck to picking cotton!" The man left and of course we were mad as hell.

After that I was wondering if racism is making a comeback in a America and will it ever go away. I've dealt with racism a lot and its getting to the point where I think the US is putting a blind eye over racism and pretending it doesn't exists and slavery never happened.
«1345

Comments

  • So_JaneSo_Jane Posts: 155Registered Users
    I think things are better socially than in earlier days, but I do think that the African holocaust is downplayed in the U.S. for some reason.

    It just seems odd that you can have a society where people were tortured for centuries and not expect to have any repercussions. Also in no other place are peoples who have survived periods of internment referred to objectively as 'slaves or descendants of slaves' despite the fact that historically, in every early society whether the result of civil-war or foreign conflict people were imprisoned and in many instances forced to live in enslavement during that time of unrest (Christian enslavement during the pagan-era, Hebrew-enslavement in Ancient Africa, Asian enslavement, Harem-enslavement/concubines (not-wives) in the olde Middle-East, Africa, Turkey and ancient Greece, etc.- even contemporary children kidnapped and forced to work as sex-workers against their will or the caste system of India-Pakistan) , but those survivors and descendants are not taught globally in school that they are the descendants of 'slaves'-- although technically, there are a number of historical references to other peoples cultural times of 'internment' during conflict...
    **People are not slaves, (and although wrongfully enslaved, during whatever war or colonization effort, etc., - slavery itself is a poor an adjective for the time of imprisonment, not for any ethnic group). As human beings are not objects/slaves..
    Other peoples that have historically survived these types of atrocities don't have that type of problem because, unfortunately, racism, itself still exists.
    'Poo: Aubrey Organics or Suave Clarifying
    or Liquid African Black Soap (only 4-ingredients ; awesome!)
    Co-Wash: Aubrey Organics or Suave Condish
    Condish: Aubrey Organics or Onion Mask or Yogurt
    DT: Honey + Olive Oil + AO Condish or Yogurt mix
    ---
    Best Gel Combo, Ever!: Elasta Qp Feels Like Silk Liquid Gel +/under Eco Styler [Krystal, Brown] Gel (or under Wetline Extreme Styling Gel)- awesome!!
  • yossarianyossarian Posts: 967Registered Users
    So_Jane wrote: »
    I think things are better socially than in earlier days, but I do think that the African holocaust is downplayed in the U.S. for some reason.

    It just seems odd that you can have a society where people were tortured for centuries and not expect to have any repercussions. Other peoples that have survived atrocities don't have that problem and unfortunately, it is because racism still exists.

    The reason the history is downplayed is 1) guilt, and more importantly 2) it shatters the myth of American exceptionalism: that the United States was founded on the highest ideals of freedom and respect for human rights.

    But racism (and prejudice more broadly) will always exist, because it gratifies a need to feel superior to others. Bigotry feeds the insecure ego.

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlTalk App
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
    2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
    Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
    Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
    Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
    PT: BASK Whiskey Soak
  • breathebreathe Posts: 399Registered Users
    Racism has never went away. People may try to cover it up, but it's always lurking right beneath the surface.
    big chop: 03/09/2010.
    modified cg.
    medium/coarse | dense | normal porosity | 4b/3c with random sprinkles of 4a.

  • SammySingallySammySingally Posts: 131Registered Users
    I'm not American, but yeah, racism seems to be in an inbetween zone (is it coming back or going away) right now.
    At my school, we're not allowed to leave without going by a teacher who'd by the gate. I get stopped often and I'll be asked, "who are you going with?" and I'm like, "my mum," and point at her and....anyways, it's like they don't believe me. The other day, a teacher pulled me aside and was like, "who's that white lady you go home with?"
    "My mum,"
    "Is your dad, you know, black?"
    "Yes,"
    "He must be so black then, 'cause your mum's like so white!"
    Blacks suck up to my mum round here (we live in Africa, at the moment (I'm moving in August)).

    Blacks are racist to each other nowadays because I can be treated like trash then my mum walks up and those people who were treating me like that start acting all nice and stuff. It's like a 'you're white or you're trash' thing.

    Another thing is that I can be ignored or treated like trash till I say a word. Once I do, they're like, "british?" (I'm mixed race).

    I've met racists online too. I've been called a half-******, daughter of an ape, etc. I try to ignore it.

    Racism is so sad, but I can't let it bring me down.
    Things I use: Olive Oil, Canola oil, rosemary oil, aloe vera gel, shea butter, mayonnaise, eggs, milk, bananas

    Everything I use is 100% natural. I make most of them myself because then I'm sure what's in it and I'm sure nothing's added, it's pure, it's natural.

    Things I avoid: Mineral oil (codename: Baby oil), heat (I'm a total, no hair driers, no straighteners, no curling irons, no flat irons, no hot combs...nada), sodium chloride

    Growing plan: At least 6 inches longer in a year.
  • CurlyCutie1394CurlyCutie1394 Posts: 348Registered Users
    Racism will never die some are just better at hiding it. My friend who is half white was once called a n**** by a white woman and he calmly said "no technically I'm white like you my dad is white" that lady walked away frustrated and he was upset the rest of the day
  • SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Posts: 1,082Registered Users
    I absolutely believe so. I am biracial and I experience it. I am 21 now, but when I was 15 in H.S a girl said to me: "I am not racist, but I do believe there is a difference between blacks and n******." One of the most ignorant statements I have ever encountered.
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
  • KiraSavannahKiraSavannah Posts: 423Registered Users
    It's still here, and is in other countries, but it also depends where you live, where I live some black guys are racist, they only like "lightskinned or white girls" and treat everyone else like trash

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App
    CG/LOC Method's 3b/3c hair SL-Curly/ Goal-MBL Curly:)
    Weekly Poo/Low Poo: some Shea M Poo.
    Weekly Deep Treat-Dermorganic Intensive Hair Masque
    Bi-Weekly RO:Tresseme Naturals - V.Smooth/N.Moisture
    Daily Leave in:Shea Moisture Extra Moisture Detangler
    Daily Oil: Olive Oil & Conut Oil Mix
    Daily Styler: Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users
    I absolutely believe so. I am biracial and I experience it. I am 21 now, but when I was 15 in H.S a girl said to me: "I am not racist, but I do believe there is a difference between blacks and n******." One of the most ignorant statements I have ever encountered.

    Sucks but when you get older, sometimes you DO learn the difference.

    And I'm black so that's saying something.
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users
    And I will elaborate.

    Black people. My closest guess of a Black person is a person with African ancestry. Can be 100% or mixed out. Whatever. Usually stand up people.

    Africans. Still. Great set of people. They ROCK!

    Looking like either of these. Still Black in the US. Yeah we are so behind. But it is what is. Usually STILL great people.

    Then you got *****s(ers). Ign'ant MFs. (yes. Ign'ant. Ignorant is not knowing better. Ign'ant is not CARING to know or do better.) I mean The people you hate to be around because they WILL make you look bad.

    Every "race" has a derogatory term for the worst of their people. And though it didn't START as a separate term, but it has become just that.

    As Chris Rock said "I LOVE Black people!! But I hate *****s!!"

    I repeat this DAILY!!!!

    Now people can get mad and say "we" are supposed to be loud, ghetto and ratchet as hell. But I don't think that's right.
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Posts: 1,082Registered Users
    I absolutely believe so. I am biracial and I experience it. I am 21 now, but when I was 15 in H.S a girl said to me: "I am not racist, but I do believe there is a difference between blacks and n******." One of the most ignorant statements I have ever encountered.

    Sucks but when you get older, sometimes you DO learn the difference.

    And I'm black so that's saying something.


    I honestly believe that reinforcing something like that is going to continue judgement from other individuals- separating people into a positive category and a derogatory category.

    I do understand your perspective; it is an african american individual who doesn't abide by the stereotypical heuristics that the media/society set out for them. However, then there is the stereotypical black individuals that further reinforce others to say, "Oh, typical n*****."

    There are people who tell me, "You talk 'white'" and it makes me wonder that I don't fit the racial schemata of how they think black people should be. Thus, there is this category that others section off black people to act, dress, etc. I try to see others as one individual. For example, if I see a young black male with his pants down, and doesn't speak proper english (THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE) I don't want to stand there and think to myself: 'Now THAT'S a n*****' because I would be further putting ONE person in a negative category. I try to break that frame of mind because when you point your finger at someone, there are always three fingers pointing back at you.
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    And I will elaborate.

    Then you got *****s(ers). Ign'ant MFs. (yes. Ign'ant. Ignorant is not knowing better. Ign'ant is not CARING to know or do better.) I mean The people you hate to be around because they WILL make you look bad.

    Every "race" has a derogatory term for the worst of their people. And though it didn't START as a separate term, but it has become just that.

    As Chris Rock said "I LOVE Black people!! But I hate *****s!!"

    I repeat this DAILY!!!!

    And yet I still have a problem with some of my AA kin-folk calling themselves "n***ers"

    The irish don't jokingly call each other "m**ks". My Jewish kin-folk don't call themselves "k**es". The Spanish don't affectionately call each other "s**cs". The Arabs don't call each other "box cutters" or ""sand n****ers", or other malicious labels others tag them with.

    The Haitians don't call themselves "Haitian devils". Asians in general don't call themselves "g**ks" or "c***ks". Asian Natives of the US don't call themselves "red skins". ... I mean, why can't it be a simple fact that there are good and not so good blacks (like any other group)? How can anyone justify using a word for anyone black that was created w/the idea of beating, raping and hanging blacks from trees? ... And also, when some blacks use such a word all the time, including calling themselves that word, they absolutely lose any argument about keeping others from using it IMO. Especially when it's sometimes used abusively (not just affectionately) toward other blacks.
  • bobbybobby Posts: 669Registered Users
    Korkscrew wrote: »
    And I will elaborate.

    Then you got *****s(ers). Ign'ant MFs. (yes. Ign'ant. Ignorant is not knowing better. Ign'ant is not CARING to know or do better.) I mean The people you hate to be around because they WILL make you look bad.

    Every "race" has a derogatory term for the worst of their people. And though it didn't START as a separate term, but it has become just that.

    As Chris Rock said "I LOVE Black people!! But I hate *****s!!"

    I repeat this DAILY!!!!

    And yet I still have a problem with some of my AA kin-folk calling themselves "n***ers"

    The irish don't jokingly call each other "m**ks". My Jewish kin-folk don't call themselves "k**es". The Spanish don't affectionately call each other "s**cs". The Arabs don't call each other "box cutters" or ""sand n****ers", or other malicious labels others tag them with.

    The Haitians don't call themselves "Haitian devils". Asians in general don't call themselves "g**ks" or "c***ks". Asian Natives of the US don't call themselves "red skins". ... I mean, why can't it be a simple fact that there are good and not so good blacks (like any other group)? How can anyone justify using a word for anyone black that was created w/the idea of beating, raping and hanging blacks from trees? ... And also, when some blacks use such a word all the time, including calling themselves that word, they absolutely lose any argument about keeping others from using it IMO. Especially when it's sometimes used abusively (not just affectionately) toward other blacks.

    As an Italian that is first generation American, we think nothing of using the term "Dago." It's "***" that is the more offensive term because it stands for Without Papers. Relevant to racism, things are definitely better than they were before the Civil Rights movement but unfortunately I do not see it going away. What does, however, irk me about some black people is that they want it both ways. It's OK for them to call any non-black on the carpet for using an AA slur but it's OK for them to use it. My philosophy has always been this: "If you want to chastise me for using a slur to the black race, that's fine. Well and good. Just remember, I'm holding you to the same standard if you use a white slur." I've always believed that racism knows no color. It's wrong no matter where it comes from. Then again, we will probably all be the same color some day and it's coming sooner than we think.
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

    "Curls aren't just for girls"
  • BeautyisMireeBeautyisMiree Posts: 202Registered Users
    bobby wrote: »
    Korkscrew wrote: »
    And I will elaborate.

    Then you got *****s(ers). Ign'ant MFs. (yes. Ign'ant. Ignorant is not knowing better. Ign'ant is not CARING to know or do better.) I mean The people you hate to be around because they WILL make you look bad.

    Every "race" has a derogatory term for the worst of their people. And though it didn't START as a separate term, but it has become just that.

    As Chris Rock said "I LOVE Black people!! But I hate *****s!!"

    I repeat this DAILY!!!!

    And yet I still have a problem with some of my AA kin-folk calling themselves "n***ers"

    The irish don't jokingly call each other "m**ks". My Jewish kin-folk don't call themselves "k**es". The Spanish don't affectionately call each other "s**cs". The Arabs don't call each other "box cutters" or ""sand n****ers", or other malicious labels others tag them with.

    The Haitians don't call themselves "Haitian devils". Asians in general don't call themselves "g**ks" or "c***ks". Asian Natives of the US don't call themselves "red skins". ... I mean, why can't it be a simple fact that there are good and not so good blacks (like any other group)? How can anyone justify using a word for anyone black that was created w/the idea of beating, raping and hanging blacks from trees? ... And also, when some blacks use such a word all the time, including calling themselves that word, they absolutely lose any argument about keeping others from using it IMO. Especially when it's sometimes used abusively (not just affectionately) toward other blacks.

    As an Italian that is first generation American, we think nothing of using the term "Dago." It's "***" that is the more offensive term because it stands for Without Papers. Relevant to racism, things are definitely better than they were before the Civil Rights movement but unfortunately I do not see it going away. What does, however, irk me about some black people is that they want it both ways. It's OK for them to call any non-black on the carpet for using an AA slur but it's OK for them to use it. My philosophy has always been this: "If you want to chastise me for using a slur to the black race, that's fine. Well and good. Just remember, I'm holding you to the same standard if you use a white slur." I've always believed that racism knows no color. It's wrong no matter where it comes from. Then again, we will probably all be the same color some day and it's coming sooner than we think.

    The reason why blacks can use the n-word and no other race can is because its our way of turning the negative output of the original word and slavery into a 'positive' word.

    When another race uses the n-word it basically takes out the 'fun' of it because you remind us what happened in the past. The only other race that I've seen use the n-word is Hispanics and I don't mind.

    I also don't mind other races using the n-word just don't go up to a random black person and instantly call them that . You can use the n-word just do it around your black friends (any friends) unless you are referring to the er version.

    Plus its just a word, you're really going to get mad because you can't say a word when blacks have been through some rough **** and they are still going through it today.
  • SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Posts: 1,082Registered Users
    bobby wrote: »
    Korkscrew wrote: »

    And yet I still have a problem with some of my AA kin-folk calling themselves "n***ers"

    The irish don't jokingly call each other "m**ks". My Jewish kin-folk don't call themselves "k**es". The Spanish don't affectionately call each other "s**cs". The Arabs don't call each other "box cutters" or ""sand n****ers", or other malicious labels others tag them with.

    The Haitians don't call themselves "Haitian devils". Asians in general don't call themselves "g**ks" or "c***ks". Asian Natives of the US don't call themselves "red skins". ... I mean, why can't it be a simple fact that there are good and not so good blacks (like any other group)? How can anyone justify using a word for anyone black that was created w/the idea of beating, raping and hanging blacks from trees? ... And also, when some blacks use such a word all the time, including calling themselves that word, they absolutely lose any argument about keeping others from using it IMO. Especially when it's sometimes used abusively (not just affectionately) toward other blacks.

    As an Italian that is first generation American, we think nothing of using the term "Dago." It's "***" that is the more offensive term because it stands for Without Papers. Relevant to racism, things are definitely better than they were before the Civil Rights movement but unfortunately I do not see it going away. What does, however, irk me about some black people is that they want it both ways. It's OK for them to call any non-black on the carpet for using an AA slur but it's OK for them to use it. My philosophy has always been this: "If you want to chastise me for using a slur to the black race, that's fine. Well and good. Just remember, I'm holding you to the same standard if you use a white slur." I've always believed that racism knows no color. It's wrong no matter where it comes from. Then again, we will probably all be the same color some day and it's coming sooner than we think.

    The reason why blacks can use the n-word and no other race can is because its our way of turning the negative output of the original word and slavery into a 'positive' word.

    When another race uses the n-word it basically takes out the 'fun' of it because you remind us what happened in the past. The only other race that I've seen use the n-word is Hispanics and I don't mind.

    I also don't mind other races using the n-word just don't go up to a random black person and instantly call them that . You can use the n-word just do it around your black friends (any friends) unless you are referring to the er version.

    Plus its just a word, you're really going to get mad because you can't say a word when blacks have been through some rough **** and they are still going through it today.

    I disagree with this. If a black person uses the word n***** but yet a white person can't, where is the sense? We are once again fulfilling the heurstics that racism is built off of. It isn't just a word. It has negative connotations. Other people will hear that derogatory word and think, "If they can say it, why can't we?" It reminds me of the saying: 'Do as I say, not as I do.'
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
  • BeautyisMireeBeautyisMiree Posts: 202Registered Users
    bobby wrote: »

    As an Italian that is first generation American, we think nothing of using the term "Dago." It's "***" that is the more offensive term because it stands for Without Papers. Relevant to racism, things are definitely better than they were before the Civil Rights movement but unfortunately I do not see it going away. What does, however, irk me about some black people is that they want it both ways. It's OK for them to call any non-black on the carpet for using an AA slur but it's OK for them to use it. My philosophy has always been this: "If you want to chastise me for using a slur to the black race, that's fine. Well and good. Just remember, I'm holding you to the same standard if you use a white slur." I've always believed that racism knows no color. It's wrong no matter where it comes from. Then again, we will probably all be the same color some day and it's coming sooner than we think.

    The reason why blacks can use the n-word and no other race can is because its our way of turning the negative output of the original word and slavery into a 'positive' word.

    When another race uses the n-word it basically takes out the 'fun' of it because you remind us what happened in the past. The only other race that I've seen use the n-word is Hispanics and I don't mind.

    I also don't mind other races using the n-word just don't go up to a random black person and instantly call them that . You can use the n-word just do it around your black friends (any friends) unless you are referring to the er version.

    Plus its just a word, you're really going to get mad because you can't say a word when blacks have been through some rough **** and they are still going through it today.

    I disagree with this. If a black person uses the word n***** but yet a white person can't, where is the sense? We are once again fulfilling the heurstics that racism is built off of. It isn't just a word. It has negative connotations. Other people will hear that derogatory word and think, "If they can say it, why can't we?" It reminds me of the saying: 'Do as I say, not as I do.'

    Racism isn't built on words it's built on actions. The day blacks will stop saying n**** is when we are on the same playing field as whites.
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    bobby wrote: »
    As an Italian that is first generation American, we think nothing of using the term "Dago." It's "***" that is the more offensive term because it stands for Without Papers. Relevant to racism, things are definitely better than they were before the Civil Rights movement but unfortunately I do not see it going away. What does, however, irk me about some black people is that they want it both ways. It's OK for them to call any non-black on the carpet for using an AA slur but it's OK for them to use it. My philosophy has always been this: "If you want to chastise me for using a slur to the black race, that's fine. Well and good. Just remember, I'm holding you to the same standard if you use a white slur." I've always believed that racism knows no color. It's wrong no matter where it comes from. Then again, we will probably all be the same color some day and it's coming sooner than we think.

    Hey Bobby :) I believe you know more about your own Italian experience than I do. At the same time, this is tricky because I have had scads of Italian friends and classmates who became upset when hearing Italian racial slurs. Maybe there's some attitudinal variation based on region? As for the term "Dago", I have a feeling a few Italians practice the same double-standard that bothers you about some black ppl: using the term on themselves but getting upset when "non-members" use that derogatory term.

    I totally agree that racist speech is racist speech, regardless of the source. ... As for the prospect of racism disappearing one day, do you recall Dr. Suess's story about the "Star-bellied Sneetches"? (Or other parables, like "Animal Farm" by Aldous Huxley.) Nevertheless, the jury is still out, for me anyway, because I still want to be guardedly optimism.
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    The reason why blacks can use the n-word and no other race can is because its our way of turning the negative output of the original word and slavery into a 'positive' word.

    I would caution you about the word "we". Not all black ppl agree w/use of the word ******. Question for you: How, specifically, do you think using this word makes it positive? Please explain the specific benefit/s everyone gets from using it. (I've never received a reasonable answer to this question.) Thanks.
    When another race uses the n-word it basically takes out the 'fun' of it because you remind us what happened in the past. The only other race that I've seen use the n-word is Hispanics and I don't mind.

    What "fun" is there in calling yourself some word whites invented and used against your ancestors to justify enslaving, raping, beating and murdering them? I'm pretty sure my African ancestors would feel I were spoiling their "fun" by using the word ****** in any context.
    I also don't mind other races using the n-word just don't go up to a random black person and instantly call them that . You can use the n-word just do it around your black friends (any friends) unless you are referring to the er version.

    No, I don't get this. Not all "black" friends would agree w/this arbitrary attempt at linguistic micro-management.
    Plus its just a word, you're really going to get mad because you can't say a word when blacks have been through some rough **** and they are still going through it today.

    People get to say what they want. But there are consequences. As much as people want words not to matter, they just do. They carry enormous symbolic, historical and emotional weight. Words start wars and keep peace. And it's totally unrealistic to expect that everyone else but you (and your ethnic group) should and will keep from using a politically loaded word.
    Racism isn't built on words it's built on actions.

    Actually, racism is built on both.
    The day blacks will stop saying n**** is when we are on the same playing field as whites.

    I think the day certain blacks stop saying ****** is the day they will be showing they respect themselves more.
  • SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Posts: 1,082Registered Users

    The reason why blacks can use the n-word and no other race can is because its our way of turning the negative output of the original word and slavery into a 'positive' word.

    When another race uses the n-word it basically takes out the 'fun' of it because you remind us what happened in the past. The only other race that I've seen use the n-word is Hispanics and I don't mind.

    I also don't mind other races using the n-word just don't go up to a random black person and instantly call them that . You can use the n-word just do it around your black friends (any friends) unless you are referring to the er version.

    Plus its just a word, you're really going to get mad because you can't say a word when blacks have been through some rough **** and they are still going through it today.

    I disagree with this. If a black person uses the word n***** but yet a white person can't, where is the sense? We are once again fulfilling the heurstics that racism is built off of. It isn't just a word. It has negative connotations. Other people will hear that derogatory word and think, "If they can say it, why can't we?" It reminds me of the saying: 'Do as I say, not as I do.'

    Racism isn't built on words it's built on actions. The day blacks will stop saying n**** is when we are on the same playing field as whites.

    I do have to say that both actions and words build off racism. That is like someone saying: "I am not racist, I just let two n****** in my house." How is that not derogatory? But you have your opinion and I have mine. But the next time a white, black, hispanic, Asian, etc. individual calls you a n***** don't get offended because it's just a word, right?
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
  • bobbybobby Posts: 669Registered Users
    Korkscrew wrote: »
    bobby wrote: »
    As an Italian that is first generation American, we think nothing of using the term "Dago." It's "***" that is the more offensive term because it stands for Without Papers. Relevant to racism, things are definitely better than they were before the Civil Rights movement but unfortunately I do not see it going away. What does, however, irk me about some black people is that they want it both ways. It's OK for them to call any non-black on the carpet for using an AA slur but it's OK for them to use it. My philosophy has always been this: "If you want to chastise me for using a slur to the black race, that's fine. Well and good. Just remember, I'm holding you to the same standard if you use a white slur." I've always believed that racism knows no color. It's wrong no matter where it comes from. Then again, we will probably all be the same color some day and it's coming sooner than we think.

    Hey Bobby :) I believe you know more about your own Italian experience than I do. At the same time, this is tricky because I have had scads of Italian friends and classmates who became upset when hearing Italian racial slurs. Maybe there's some attitudinal variation based on region? As for the term "Dago", I have a feeling a few Italians practice the same double-standard that bothers you about some black ppl: using the term on themselves but getting upset when "non-members" use that derogatory term.

    I totally agree that racist speech is racist speech, regardless of the source. ... As for the prospect of racism disappearing one day, do you recall Dr. Suess's story about the "Star-bellied Sneetches"? (Or other parables, like "Animal Farm" by Aldous Huxley.) Nevertheless, the jury is still out, for me anyway, because I still want to be guardedly optimism.

    Korkscrew, I can't speak for others but just speaking for myself, I don't get upset at all when I hear a non-Italian use the term "D***." The "W**" term, however, we consider the Italian version of the N-word because it means you came here illegally.

    While I do not in any way condone racism, I also think the term "racist" has been cheapened because the term gets used way too frequently and as a means of convenience when someone is losing an argument. Just as an example, if I'm white and do not like President Obama, in some circles that makes me a racist. Or black gangster rappers can use lyrics about "kill the white dude" and no reprucussions are had but if a white country or rock artist says anything even remotely derogatory about another race and it's game over. All I'm saying is that regardless of what happened in the past we need to get away from the double standards.

    Again, it'll be a long time if ever goes away. What bothers me most is that the term has been cheapened.
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

    "Curls aren't just for girls"
  • BeautyisMireeBeautyisMiree Posts: 202Registered Users

    I disagree with this. If a black person uses the word n***** but yet a white person can't, where is the sense? We are once again fulfilling the heurstics that racism is built off of. It isn't just a word. It has negative connotations. Other people will hear that derogatory word and think, "If they can say it, why can't we?" It reminds me of the saying: 'Do as I say, not as I do.'

    Racism isn't built on words it's built on actions. The day blacks will stop saying n**** is when we are on the same playing field as whites.

    I do have to say that both actions and words build off racism. That is like someone saying: "I am not racist, I just let two n****** in my house." How is that not derogatory? But you have your opinion and I have mine. But the next time a white, black, hispanic, Asian, etc. individual calls you a n***** don't get offended because it's just a word, right?

    I don't get offended it depends on which one they call me. Theirs one that is derogatory and one that is used friendly meaning other races can say it but it depends on the person they are saying to.
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    bobby wrote: »
    Korkscrew, I can't speak for others but just speaking for myself, I don't get upset at all when I hear a non-Italian use the term "D***." The "W**" term, however, we consider the Italian version of the N-word because it means you came here illegally.

    I think one of the dangers of any group using derogatory “in names” for itself is that it perpetuates and allows for the use of those terms by outsiders, including “W**” for Italians and “N*****” for Africans.
    While I do not in any way condone racism, I also think the term "racist" has been cheapened because the term gets used way too frequently and as a means of convenience when someone is losing an argument. Just as an example, if I'm white and do not like President Obama, in some circles that makes me a racist. Or black gangster rappers can use lyrics about "kill the white dude" and no reprucussions are had but if a white country or rock artist says anything even remotely derogatory about another race and it's game over. All I'm saying is that regardless of what happened in the past we need to get away from the double standards.

    It's not the word "racist" that gets cheapened, rather certain people who “cheapen” themselves. Careful observation reveals there are still plenty of strong examples of race-based injustice. There will always be someone crying wolf, from an overly-sensitive Obama apologist to a violently-minded rapper to a racist tea-bagger hanging an Obama doll in effigy, to white cops that beat and kill black, Asian and Latino men in LA for no justifiable reason. What all those people are doing is cheapening themselves, not the word "racist".
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users

    I don't get offended it depends on which one they call me. Theirs one that is derogatory and one that is used friendly meaning other races can say it but it depends on the person they are saying to.

    So if someone calls you a sh**head, bad on them, but if someone you know calls you a sh**head, no problem, it's cute.
  • BeautyisMireeBeautyisMiree Posts: 202Registered Users
    Korkscrew wrote: »

    I don't get offended it depends on which one they call me. Theirs one that is derogatory and one that is used friendly meaning other races can say it but it depends on the person they are saying to.

    So if someone calls you a sh**head, bad on them, but if someone you know calls you a sh**head, no problem, it's cute.

    If you're a stranger of course I'm going to get mad and if you're a friend, it just depends on your tone.
  • BeautyisMireeBeautyisMiree Posts: 202Registered Users
    It all depends on which one you're saying. No black person call themselves 'n***er' and if they do even their own races calls them out on it. Now if you say 'n***a' it just depends on the person you are talking to.

    Also it's a word compared to the things done to blacks, just because other races cant say a word you're going to throw a fit.

    I don't say the word n***a and n***er but I don't care when my race uses it. Am I disappointed at times yes but it's something that obviously won't go away
  • bobbybobby Posts: 669Registered Users
    Korkscrew wrote: »
    I think one of the dangers of any group using derogatory “in names” for itself is that it perpetuates and allows for the use of those terms by outsiders, including “W**” for Italians and “N*****” for Africans.

    Very true that it perpetuates the issue. I can safely say I do not refer to fellow Italians as "W***" even if they deserve it whereas "D***" is a little more endearing. I may refer to one as "my fellow D***" and we think nothing of it.

    Korkscrew wrote: »
    It's not the word "racist" that gets cheapened, rather certain people who “cheapen” themselves. Careful observation reveals there are still plenty of strong examples of race-based injustice. There will always be someone crying wolf, from an overly-sensitive Obama apologist to a violently-minded rapper to a racist tea-bagger hanging an Obama doll in effigy, to white cops that beat and kill black, Asian and Latino men in LA for no justifiable reason. What all those people are doing is cheapening themselves, not the word "racist".

    The reason I say the term "racist" has been cheapened is that people use it so often that it takes away the validity of it. My only point is that the term gets so often that I don't just roll over on command to believe it to be true. I have to examine the context much more closely before I draw a conclusion. However, such people do indeed cheapen themselves as individuals for using it so quickly. As for what you mention of those crying wolf, I have no respect for any that you describe. From an overly-sensitive Obama apologist to a violently-minded rapper to a racist tea-bagger hanging an Obama doll in effigy, to white cops that beat and kill black, Asian and Latino men in LA for no justifiable reason.
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

    "Curls aren't just for girls"
  • Always@nightAlways@night Posts: 566Registered Users
    I don't believe it ever went away or will ever go away. There will always be people who hold an inner hatred of someone for different reasons, race,sexual orientation, religious views(or lack of) etc. It's sad but true. Racism is not as blunt as it use to be but is often cleverly disguised. Like the simple phrase " I hate mondays" or "Everyone hates mondays" People were using the phrase with the intent to insult african americans in my area, and started calling african american people "monday". Why? Because " everyone hates mondays". Some people will think of anything.
    There are also people who self-hate, and are racist against their own race. I do not believe racism will ever go away, not completely.
    On a side note: i don't believe racial slurs should be used by anyone. I do not use the n word nor will I allow anyone to call me that word, not strangers, family or friends. Because when it comes down to it, you can not change the original meaning of a word. Just because it is said in everyday conversation does not erase, it's original intended purpose. I feel the same about the b word. Putting bad, or anything else in front of the word does not make it a compliment.
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    It all depends on which one you're saying. ...

    So as long as you call the person a "sh**", a "s***wad" or "sh**ty" instead of a "sh**head", it's cute and dignified.
  • BeautyisMireeBeautyisMiree Posts: 202Registered Users
    Korkscrew wrote: »
    It all depends on which one you're saying. ...

    So as long as you call the person a "sh**", a "s***wad" or "sh**ty" instead of a "sh**head", it's cute and dignified.

    Again it depends on the tone and where does a curse word compare to a racial slur. They are not in the same category.
  • bobbybobby Posts: 669Registered Users
    I don't believe it ever went away or will ever go away. There will always be people who hold an inner hatred if someone for different reasons, race,sexual orientation, religious views(or lack of) etc. It's sad but true. Racism is not as blunt as it use to be but is often cleverly disguised. Like the simple phrase " I hate mondays" or "Everyone hates mondays" People where using the phrase with the intent to insult african americans in my area, and started calling african american people "monday". Why? Because " everyone hates mondays". Some people will think of anything.
    There are also people who self-hate, and are racist against their own race. I do not believe racism will ever go away, not completely.
    On a side note: i don't believe racial slurs should be used by anyone. I do not use the n word nor will I allow anyone to call me that word, not strangers, family or friends. Because when it comes down to it, you can not change the original meaning of a word. Just because it is said in everyday conversation does not erase, it's original intended purpose. I feel the same about the b word. Putting bad, or anything else in front of the word does not make it a compliment.

    Your take on racism is probably the truest and most consistent across the board. A timid bigot is no more or less bigoted than an outspoken bigot.
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

    "Curls aren't just for girls"
  • brimom19brimom19 Posts: 43Registered Users
    I have never understood why changing the "er" to an "a" make it on to say. My three daughters are biracial and I taught to not use the n word with the "a" at the end because to me it is just a version of the "er" one. I personally don't see the need for either of them to be used by my girls. And racism has never disappeared in the south. It is still very prevalent.
«1345

Leave a Comment