Newbie from Boston

mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hello everyone! :D
I am a 36 yr old Dominican female living in Boston. I've been daydreaming of some day going back to my nappy roots :shock: :D ever since I was a kid. My mom, God bless her, has straight hair and here I was with curly hair and at the age of 10 she put a relaxer in my hair. I always had long, thick, curly hair and now my hair is shoulder length and I hate how stringy it gets when it gets wet. I am blessed with two beautiful daughters that have naturally and very long curly hair that I secretly envy. I would never dream of ruining their hair with a relaxer.

Anyway I came to the decision to go natural a few months ago. Right now I'm on my 3rd month and the nappies are about an inch long. I get really excited, but somewhere along the line I get tired of waiting and I go back to relaxers. This is probably my 10th attempt at going natural. I am tired of saying "oh hell no" when I go outside without an umbrella. I'm tired of looking like a freak the morning after going to the beach. I am VERY tired of paying $55 a pop to have my brain fried by chemicals. Does anybody even know the longterm effect of these chemicals in my brain? Makes me wonder.

Anyway I look forward to going nappy with everybody else LOL
My goal is to let it grow out for a year and then chop it off. Right now my chemically relaxed hair is down to my bra strap so my husband is not going to be very happy :( So maybe I'll buy a wig next year LOL :wink:

To all my Latina dark skinned women like myself, we need to stop thinking that we're not beautiful unless we have this fake straight hair. We're ALL beautiful because that's how God created us!
- Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

Comments

• LadydncingLadydncing Posts: 964Registered Users
    Hello !
    Your story sounds like my story, but my mom started relaxing my hair at 8.
    I understand how hard it can be to transition. If this site would have
    existed, it wouldn't have taken me 7+ years! You can do it! :)
    Welcome and good luck! :)
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl
    Password: Locks

event.png
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ladydncing wrote:
    Hello !
    Your story sounds like my story, but my mom started relaxing my hair at 8.
    I understand how hard it can be to transition. If this site would have
    existed, it wouldn't have taken me 7+ years! You can do it! :)
    Welcome and good luck! :)

Thanks for the welcome. I am REALLY hoping that this will finally be the time where I stick with it. 8)
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Welcome, and good luck with this transition. I hope you give your natural hair the chance it deserves.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file