CurlTalk

Three women, missing for years, found

The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,220Registered Users
    I am so relieved they've been found and are alive, and yet, I'm ashamed of my city for having this happen here.

I'm always baffled by the psychology of people (well, men, actually) who do this kind of thing. It's just so completely sick and horrifying.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    So many details missing but glad they are out. I'm assuming she had the child while kidnapped. I feel really bad that her mom died while she was missing. Her poor mother and what she must have been going through mentally and emotionally.
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    This is so amazing to me. I'm curious about the details.
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users
    scrills wrote: »
    This is so amazing to me. I'm curious about the details.

I am too; i.e., where they were being kept, how they got loose, etc.

Some of the latest reports say THREE brothers have been arrested. Bad enough one could do this, but three of them are involved ????

I am glad they are alive. They lost 10 years of their lives to these sick men. I would like to see all three of those men thrown in solitary confinemen for 10 years!!!!
    3b/c
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I wonder if these men were torturing and raping them the entire time. Two were minors when they were abducted. How awful. I hope they can go on to lead semi-normal lives.

• CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    I am absolutely horrified. I wish these women peace in the future.
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlymix%2F" class="Popup
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    I hope they get the same kind of psychological care that Jaycee Duggard got. When Jaycee and her daughters were freed, they were kept from public scrutiny and enveloped in a cocoon of love and healing. I'm afraid these Ohio women...not all being white...might not get that kind of care. They need privacy and help right now, not invasion. I hope the press leaves them alone. We don't need to know every gruesome detail of what they went through...not right away anyway. Hopefully law enforcement will not release everything.
  • HootenannyHootenanny Posts: 300Registered Users
    Unbelievable story. I also am very curious about how they were kept and how one of them managed to get to the door. The interview of Charles Ramsey is awesome; I hope he gets a huge reward for his heroism.
    :cat: Medium/coarse, low porosity, dense, mix of 3s :cat:
    CG (again) since Nov. 2012

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention, Elucence MBC, KC Come Clean
    Condish: Giovanni DL, Cure Care, Ion Treatment, GVP Balm, AOHR
    Protein: AOGPB, CNPF, SSRPT
    Stylers: KCCC, SM Souffle, AOMM, SS CEJ, JCRR, JCCC

:cat: Trying out steaming! :cat:
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Hootenanny wrote: »
    Unbelievable story. I also am very curious about how they were kept and how one of them managed to get to the door. The interview of Charles Ramsey is awesome; I hope he gets a huge reward for his heroism.

Did any of you see him being interviewed? What a character!
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    I just read that a neighbor heard one of them yelling for help and called 911. One of the women called as well

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlTalk App
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,660Registered Users
    I just watched the interview with Ramsey and I would be shocked as well. Can you imagine socializing with a neighbor then finding out what they were hiding? Just shows you don't know what goes on behind closed doors. I'm really surprised they are still alive. TG, they finally got away. I agree with RCW....they need to be left alone and have some time to heal. I, also hope the little girl will be alright. This has to be very confusing for her.

I can't help feeling so very angry that there are individuals who care so little about someone else's life. These girls were so young. :angry7::cry:
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    I happened to be downtown by the police station today, and it was nuts; groups of patrol cars grouped together, blocking the street; sirens going off all the time; county sheriffs all over the highway.
  • XyzXyz Posts: 685Registered Users
    I was confused by the 911 dispatchers. Are they allowed to sound that annoyed?

Amanda Berry wanted to stay on the phone with her dispatcher, I guess because she was scared, but the operator just kept telling her the police would be there and then hurried her off the phone. Also when Charles Ramsey was asked by 911 if the Amanda needed an ambulance, he eventually replied, "she's been kidnapped for 10 years, she needs all kinds of help. Just send everything." To which the dispatcher replied in an annoyed tone, "I'll just send a police car." Even if dispatch thought Charles sounded crazy (which, yeah), he could have kept his side comments to himself and sent a police car if he felt the calls were fake or something.

I guess I just expected more compassion. I think the dispatchers know what area people are calling from and if it's a poor area, they're just rude.
    My experience with law enforcement here is pretty negative, frankly; they're rude almost no matter where you live.
    I thought 911 operators want to keep you on the line until the police are actually there.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    Those 911 operators were incompetant asholes.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    Hope the 911 dispatcher is reprimanded.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    Hope the 911 dispatcher is reprimanded.

If reprimanded means FIRED, then I concur.
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    I'm interested to hear Fifi's opinion of the dispatcher's actions from a dispatcher's point of view.

But I'm disappointed. I feel that the dispatcher should have been more caring.
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlymix%2F" class="Popup
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
    I had to call 911 once and when they finally answered the phone they told me to hold and put me on hold. It wasn't that long, but still.....They did keep me on the line until the police arrived.
    From Michael Berg:

• Always@nightAlways@night Posts: 566Registered Users
    I hope they get the same kind of psychological care that Jaycee Duggard got. When Jaycee and her daughters were freed, they were kept from public scrutiny and enveloped in a cocoon of love and healing. I'm afraid these Ohio women...not all being white...might not get that kind of care. They need privacy and help right now, not invasion. I hope the press leaves them alone. We don't need to know every gruesome detail of what they went through...not right away anyway. Hopefully law enforcement will not release everything.

+1
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,937Registered Users
    What do people want the 911 operator to do? She sounded calm and unemotional, which is what they are trained to do. She was having to speak over a lot of background noise to a hysterical person, you have to remain calm if you ever want to get an address and a description of the person they need to look for.

Have you guys heard 911 calls before? This is how the operators always sound.
    It's more that the 911 operator didn't want to stay on the phone. It's important that they be on the phone until the police arrive. That way they know help is there or can help if CPR or something else is needed PLUS it is comforting to have someone there to talk to instead of feeling all alone.
    From Michael Berg:

Seems like Amanda had to teach the dispatcher how to do the job...getting the name of the perpetrator was an afterthought to the dispatcher.
    The transcript

5:51:59 p.m.

Dispatcher: Cleveland 9-1-1
    Amanda Berry: Hello police. Help me. I'm Amanda Berry.
    Dispatcher: You need police, fire or ambulance?
    Berry: I need police
    Dispatcher: OK. And what's going on there?
    Berry: I've been kidnapped. And I've been missing for 10 years. And I'm here. I'm free now.
    Dispatcher: OK and what's your address?
    Berry: 2207 Seymour Avenue
    Dispatcher: 2207 Seymour? It looks like you're calling me from 2210.
    Berry: Huh
    Dispatcher: It looks like you're calling me from 2210.
    Berry: I can't hear you
    Dispatcher: It looks like you're calling me from 2210 Seymour.
    Berry: Yeah. I'm with somebody. I'm using their phone.
    Dispatcher: OK. Stay there with those people. Talk to the police when they get there.
    Berry: OK. Uh ... Uh.
    Dispatcher: OK. Talk to the police when they get there.
    Berry: OK. (pause) Hello
    Dispatcher: Yeah. Talk to the police when they get there.
    Berry: OK. Are they on their way right now? I need them now.
    Dispatcher: We're going to send them as soon as we get a car open.
    Berry: No. I need them now, before he gets back.
    Dispatcher: All right. We're sending them, OK?
    Berry: OK. I mean like ...
    Dispatcher: Who's the guy you're trying. ... Who's the guy who went out?
    Berry: Uh. His name is Ariel Castro.
    Dispatcher: How old is he?
    Berry: He's like 52.
    Dispatcher: All right ...
    Berry: I'm Amanda Berry. I've been on the news for the last 10 years.
    Dispatcher: OK. OK. I got that dear. I already ...
    Berry: (inaudible)
    Dispatcher: Yeah. I've got that. And what was his name again?
    Berry: Ariel Castro.
    Dispatcher: And is he white, black or Hispanic?
    Berry: Hispanic.
    Dispatcher: What's he wearing?
    Berry: I don't know, because he's not here right now. That's how I got away ...
    Dispatcher: When he left, what was he wearing?
    Berry: (inaudible)
    Dispatcher: OK. The police are on the way. Talk to them when they get there.
    Berry: OK. I need ... OK.
    Dispatcher: OK. I told you they were on their way. Talk to them when they get there, OK?
    Berry. All right. OK.
    Dispatcher: Thank you.
    Berry: Bye
    Lotsawaves wrote: »
    It's more that the 911 operator didn't want to stay on the phone. It's important that they be on the phone until the police arrive. That way they know help is there or can help if CPR or something else is needed PLUS it is comforting to have someone there to talk to instead of feeling all alone.

But are they supposed to stay on the phone and be comforting in a situation where no one is in imminent danger? This is a large city, if four other people are trying to call for an ambulance, is the operator's time best spent comforting someone? This wasn't a small child or person who needed first aid assistance.

I guess to me 911 operators always sound kind of detached and business-like in phone calls. I thought that was the idea.
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    I get they should sound detached, but she seemed to not care.

"We're going to send them as soon as we get a car open"- If this wasn't an emergency i could get this. but i was just help hostage for 10 years i dont want to hear this. so i have to stay here until a cop decides to come. and the dude could come back? what should i do then?

"It looks like you're calling me from 2210 Seymour."- i have been missinf for 10 years, are you siriously going to argue with me about this? just send help!

"Talk to the police when they get there"- to me this says, "yeah i know you been held captive for 10 years but i really dotn have time, so hen ever a cop decides to come you tell them your sorry. i'm too busy right now."
    To me, it sounded like the dispatcher simply didn't believe that she was a kidnapping victim...just seemed to completely dismiss that part of the call. I think a lot of Americans don't believe kidnapping happens here.
    Really? I find just the opposite. Americans are paranoid about kidnapping FAR out of proportion to actual incidents (and I include myself in that, I'm the weirdo who won't leave my kid in the car and I watch her walk two doors down to the neighbor's house and watch her walk home again).

My mom watches ALL those crazy shows with 911 calls and the operators always sound so detached and almost disinterested. I assumed it was part of the training.