We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

parting your hair

hambo02hambo02 Posts: 480Registered Users
quick question for curlies, do you part your hair with a comb or just apply your products and let your hair fall naturally? I found out that parting my hair with a comb after I combed it, makes it really flat on my head. Today I just combed it all back and flipped my head upside down for my products and let my hair fall naturally. Seems to be less flat on my head.

Comments

• YoshimiYoshimi Posts: 237Registered Users
    I let it fall then use a clip to change the part when my hair is 95% dry (I move individual curls so as nit do ruin them)

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using CurlTalk App
    2C, Medium thickness, Low posity
    Recovering from a year of keratin and bleach with CG

Routine

Low Poo, Condition, Leave in, Curl cream, Supersoak, Gel, Diffuse on high heat, with minimal lift to encourage waves and reduce frizz, Dry on cool with nozzle down to smooth hair and finish drying,Shine Serum

Weekly gelatin protien treatments.
  • StephaniieStephaniie Posts: 46Registered Users
    I apply my products, then flipped my head upside down, then i "part" my hair with my fingers, but it seems like it was like that naturally. Because i only put my hair into the direction i want.

And i'm agree with you about parting the hair with the comb. It makes my hair flat too.

Sorry for my english, hope you can understand what i mean. :laughing1:

Mix of 3C & 3B
    Medium porosity
    Low density
    Medium width

Excuse my bad english :oops:

• hambo02hambo02 Posts: 480Registered Users
    oh good im not the only one who gets flat roots when i part with a comb
  • LoveInBetweenLoveInBetween Posts: 392Registered Users
    I let it part on it's own.

After I detangle, under the water I comb all of my hair back while I'm rinsing out the conditioner. By the time I finish showering and dry off, my hair as already parted on it's own. Any pieces that look awkward are fixed when I style.

I find that when I part with a comb, it disrupts my curl pattern on my canopy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    Curl Routine
    Co: As I am Coconut CoWash,VO5 Claifying Conditioner
    DC: Macadamia Repair Masque
    LI: KCKT, Suave Naturals Coconut
    Style Creme: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Gel: KCCC, Eco Styler Argan Oil
    Sealer: EVCO, EVOO

3b/3c, High Desity, High Porosity, Medium Texture, BSL
    ""Live by the sun, love by the moon"

• awelcomeawelcome Posts: 167Registered Users
    I was parting my hair in the shower with a comb before my final rinse, but I felt like even that bit of touching/manipulating my hair was giving me poor results for curl since then I would either have to comb all the way through or have a flat spot on top and a poof at about eye level where I stopped with the comb. So lately I have tried just not touching it even with a comb at all and it is working better. I just sort of take my fingers and part the very front of my bangs and then make sure they aren't awkardly placed when I plop. I do sometimes straighten just my bangs when my hair is dry though if it went wonky.
    My Hair:
    2c
    Fine, low porosity, med/high density
    BSL - going for mid back to waist

HG: currently
    just washing with a low poo that contains protein (Alba Naturals Coconut) and using Suave Naturals Coconut as both a RO and LI. No stylers right now, but this gives me pretty good curl, definition, low-ish frizz, and it feels and looks good. Also an occasional PT (liking the Palmer's Coconut Oil Formula which has cones) seems to be key for me.

Modified CG since February 2013

• BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users
    I roughly part with my fingers once all my products are in. :)
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • HouseofcurlsHouseofcurls Posts: 322Registered Users
    I part with a comb, I can't do it any other way. It looks CRAZY if I do any other way.
    Rae ~ 2c/3a ~
    Wife to a 3c Curly Guy
    Mom to a straight and a curly.

"The Longer the Hair, the Bigger the Blob."

Porous, very dense but fine hair. Medium everything else.
    CoWash: Tressemee naturals
    RO: Generic biolage and generic joico k-pak
    LI: Tresemee
    Miss Jessie's Pillow soft curls, diffuse 50%, add KCCC and diffuse to 80%.
    Always wash upside down.
  • anonymous_133347anonymous_133347 Posts: 1,426Registered Users
    If it's wash day I tend to part my hair when it's wet and soaked with conditioner. (That is if I want to change it from whatever it is already.) I comb it whichever way I want it, then I pluck individual bits of my conditioner soaked hair and arrange the part so that it's less "neat". I like a wandering look. Sort of wiggly. Then I get out and put some clippies in for root volume while it dries or when I diffuse. On second day hair I can leave it in that particular part or can I change it up. I might sweep it to the other side (if my hair is parted to whatever direction) for instant root volume or I can change it to a middle or slightly left/right of the middle part. To do this I just pluck my hair from the scalp again and arrange the curls the way I want them. If my curls and roots aren't falling correctly or staying in place I take my trusty clippies again and cross-clip at the crown to hold the curls wherever I'd like them to be. I leave the clips be for five-ten, maybe more minutes and then take them out gently. I've discovered my roots actually are very good at holding a style, just like the rest of my hair. I just need to give them some direction. I also refresh in the morning by dampening my hair and adding a bit of leave in and product back in. Hope this helps! :)
    3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
    Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
    Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
    Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

if anyone has bob lengh hair, do you find that a side part is too flat or greasy?
  • KrullenbolKrullenbol Posts: 114Registered Users
    I almost never part it ... unless I feel like doing it, which is almost never
  • Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users
    I part with a comb, too. I can't let my curls fall where they want to - at least I've had no luck doing that. I think my hair is too long. If I try that, and have to move curls around, then I break up clumps and hair stringing frizz over clumpy curls.
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
  • chloe92uschloe92us Posts: 1,203Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair parts completely naturally, so I don't have to do anything but help with a little volume. I have a shoulder length bob, and I don't feel like its oily or anything at the part.
    2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
    Cleanse: AIA cowash, TJ Tea Tree Condish
    Condish: JC Too Shea, Tresemme Botanique
    Stylers: flax/okra gel or KCCC + CJ PP or JC Spiralicious
    Experimenting with Got2B Ultra gel and loving it so far!
    if I at least dont shake my hair when its starting to dry my hair will just be slicked back lol
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,758Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I part with a comb, I can't do it any other way. It looks CRAZY if I do any other way.

Me too. I can't just let it fall as I can't do anything upside down so there is nowhere for it to fall!
    3b in South Australia.
  • xfallenwingsxfallenwings Posts: 24Registered Users
    I sorta gently shake my head a little and mine basically parts on it's own. I just take my fingers and carefully make it more even :)

My Guess at my Hair:
    Mix of 2B/2C/3A
    Low Porosity & Medium Density
    Fine/Medium & Above Shoulder Length (growing)

CG since 5/2013

Products I love So Far:
    Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut & Juicy Green Apple (Cleanse)
    V05 Passion Fruit Smoothie (Cleanse)
    DevalCurl One Condition (RO/LI)
    DevalCurl Light Defining Gel
    Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Kinky Curly Knot Today (LI)
    Coconut Oil (DT)
    Carol's Daughter Rosemary Mint Shampoo (Clarify)

:hello2:
  • angelicakangelicak Posts: 127Registered Users
    I used to part in the shower and I think I may part again but I've been combing straight back and then flipping my head over and applying products and then diffusing but this makes my crown all weird, it doesn't fall right at all and I always have to clip my bangs back. When I was parting in the shower with my comb I tended to get a flat crown but I would diffuse with my head flipped and I would get volume but then it would look a little flat so I would switch my part manually and it would lay with a lot of volume opposite of the way I combed, such a pain but it always looked soooo nice. I might go back to that! :P
    CG since: 2/9/2013
    HAIR: 2a/b with nearly straight hair at neck, flat on top, low porosity, medium density, fine, medium length
    Currently using:
    Low Poo/No Poo: SM YB, Malibu C Hardwater Wellness (every other day)
    Rinse Out: Malibu C Hardwater Wellness Conditioner
    Leave In: SM Coconut Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk
    Gel: Volumax (Sally's)
    PT: gelatin!
    DT: Curls Unleashed NR

Love diffusing.:p
    Always learning!
    Angelicak, try clipping your bangs where you would like them to lie before your hair is completely dry, or even after. I clip mine into place after I dry my hair while I put my make up on to get them to do as they're told.

Routine

Low Poo, Condition, Leave in, Curl cream, Supersoak, Gel, Diffuse on high heat, with minimal lift to encourage waves and reduce frizz, Dry on cool with nozzle down to smooth hair and finish drying,Shine Serum

• angelicakangelicak Posts: 127Registered Users
    Yoshimi wrote: »
    Angelicak, try clipping your bangs where you would like them to lie before your hair is completely dry, or even after. I clip mine into place after I dry my hair while I put my make up on to get them to do as they're told.

How do I clip :( I still can't figure it out!
    CG since: 2/9/2013
    HAIR: 2a/b with nearly straight hair at neck, flat on top, low porosity, medium density, fine, medium length
    Currently using:
    Low Poo/No Poo: SM YB, Malibu C Hardwater Wellness (every other day)
    Rinse Out: Malibu C Hardwater Wellness Conditioner
    Leave In: SM Coconut Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk
    Gel: Volumax (Sally's)
    PT: gelatin!
    DT: Curls Unleashed NR

Love diffusing.:p
    Always learning!
    yeah my hair has been staying upside down at the roots when I apply upside down. so today i raked in right side up and upside down and side to side.
  • LynaeaLynaea Posts: 394Registered Users
    I've tried lots of stuff:
    -Applying products upside down = hairs sticking straight up through small, stringy clumps.
    -Applying product side-to-side with minimal manipulation and mod-super soaking = flattish bangs that are difficult to reposition but are well clumped.
    -Combing part/bangs = very flat and difficult to reposition/fix, okay clumps.
    -Remove some excess water from length with towel (microfiber or flour) and flip/shake to loosen crown/front area, I also manipulate the roots at the front some by gripping them between my outstretched fingers and kind of wiggling, then apply styler side-to-side with mod-super soaker as needed to help clumps = best results yet, decent volume, minimal escaped baby hairs and decent clumps, fairly easy to reposition. Yay!
    :nemo: 2A / F / MD / LP / ?E / BSL --- CG since Dec. 2012 :nemo:

This is what I'm happiest with right now.
    Co-wash: CJ DailyFix
    Lo-poo: DermOrganic low-poo
    RO: SS Caitlin's co
    Leave-in: SheScentIt Okra Repair condish
    PT: SS Caitlin's + SS PT
    Stylers: Volumax Mega Gel, Max Green Styling Gel, DermOrganics Spray Gel
    Techniques: Plopping & Pixie Diffusing.
    :thumbdown: glycerin, honey, oils & butters :thumright: Protein!
    angelicak wrote: »
    Yoshimi wrote: »

How do I clip :( I still can't figure it out!

Well here's what mine looks like when I clip to get my part.uploadfromtaptalk1368195992441.jpg

Routine

• anshansh Posts: 11Registered Users
    parting is long and flat hair ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file