We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Came across some old Halloween candy

medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
Does chocolate have an expiration date? I'm wondering if I should toss it. There's nothing worse than stale chocolate. :?

Comments

• internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    It does expire. Usually it starts to get a light brown, almost camel colored coating on it just before it expires. If it is still normal chocolate color I would go for it :lol:
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    It doesn't go bad though, right? It just gets kind of dry and stale?

If it looks fine, medussa, eat it! :twisted:
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • solangesolange Posts: 2,539Registered Users
    Generally speaking, chocolate has a 2 year shelf life and it definitely keeps better in a cool, dry place. When it gets subjected to fluctuations in temp and humidity you see the whitish/grayish/beige "bloom" - separated/dissolved/recrystallized cocoa butter or sugar - forming on the surface.

Edited for clarity

The above is for plain chocolate.

Depending on the filling, this could be shorter. Nuts like peanuts or pecans degrade a bit faster, reducing this to maybe 6-9 months.

Ideal conditions - dark, 70 degrees F +/-5 and less than 50% humidity

Can you tell I love my chocolate :D :D
    3C, BSL Unstretched -
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    20.gif
    You get the idea...lol

0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    solange wrote:
    Generally speaking, chocolate has a 2 year shelf life and it definitely keeps better in a cool, dry place. When it gets subjected to fluctuations in temp and humidity you see the whitish/grayish/beige "bloom" - separated/dissolved cocoa butter or sugar - on the surface.

I always thought that was due to age. I guess I learned 2 new things today :lol:
  • KateRobertsKateRoberts Posts: 286Registered Users
    medussa wrote:
    Does chocolate have an expiration date? I'm wondering if I should toss it. There's nothing worse than stale chocolate. :?

Well?? Did you eat it? Are you still alive?

:P
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Kate-- :lol: I haven't had the chance to try any. And now I just ate dinner. So, no candy experiments until tomorrow.

Solange--It has been almost 4 months, but they have been stored properly. I'm hoping they taste good. I've got miniature sizes of:

Butterfinger
    100 Grand
    Peanut Chews
    Smores
    Mr. Goodbar
    Plain M&Ms (full size pack)
    Peanut M&Ms
    Baby Ruth
    Twix
    Reeses Peanut Butter Cups
    Milky Way
    3 Musketeers
    Snickers
    Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bars (kisses too)
    Kit Kats

I don't think I can do this (eat all of this candy). Ironically, I might have to enlist the aid of my husband, the person I has hiding the candy from in the first place (because he has no self-control :lol:).
  • yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Posts: 5,766Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    you've had all that in your house for 4 months?
    FOUR MONTHS?
    and you haven't eaten it by now?

How can you do that...?
    I'm so confused.
    how is this possible?
    You must have some sort of secret powers.
    You must have some sort of secret powers.

I actually did too good a job at hiding the candy from my husband and forgot all about it, until I found it this week. :o
  • Ab-starAb-star Posts: 1,128Registered Users
    I hide candy from my husband all the time and it feels like I've hit the jackpot when I discover some I've forgotten.

Years ago I found an old piece of Halloween candy (really not that old, maybe a month). It was a miniature Crunch bar...I bit into it...and a WORM waved at me from the other half. :shock: I spit chocolate so far across the room...and vowed to never eat old chocolate again.
    MY HAIR ALBUM
    pw - jack

Going natural for the summer...just a dab of ArcAngell!
  • solangesolange Posts: 2,539Registered Users
    Nice stash!!! It may taste a tad bit old, but it should be fine.
    3C, BSL Unstretched -
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Halloween wasn't that long ago. The candy on the store shelves is probably older. I'd dig in.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    Ab-star wrote:
    I hide candy from my husband all the time and it feels like I've hit the jackpot when I discover some I've forgotten.

Years ago I found an old piece of Halloween candy (really not that old, maybe a month). It was a miniature Crunch bar...I bit into it...and a WORM waved at me from the other half. :shock: I spit chocolate so far across the room...and vowed to never eat old chocolate again.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! That doesn't sound like a function of its age, it sounds like the packers made some...uh, mistakes...gonna barf. I'm flashing back to when I opened a reese's pb cup and it was crawling w/ maggots! I was horrified, to say the least, and I don't even know how far I chucked the thing. It SUCKS when your candy crawls.
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • SpinCycleSpinCycle Posts: 724Registered Users
    Ab-star wrote:

Ewwww.... that happened to me once. I bought a chocolate bar with almonds from a kid doing a fundraiser. I bit into it and in the hollow where there SHOULD have been an almond, there were tons of little bugs. Ugh!
    A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government. ~Thomas Jefferson
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    I'm not sure why a spammer linking to a Ronald Reagan board and posting about Romney and Tea Baggers would have posted on this thread. But serious comedy gold here:
    It SUCKS when your candy crawls.

And also, I still have candy from Halloween. And some of the contents of my Christmas stocking.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
    NetG wrote: »
    I'm not sure why a spammer linking to a Ronald Reagan board and posting about Romney and Tea Baggers would have posted on this thread. But serious comedy gold here:
    It SUCKS when your candy crawls.

And also, I still have candy from Halloween. And some of the contents of my Christmas stocking.

I know, that line is even funnier 5 years later. It belongs in a sig. :lol:
    I miss Solange. I wish I could find her and reconnect. She was good people. :(
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    Hee, thanks! This thread is the squickiest ego boost ever.

Also, dang, I think I was younger than CE is now back when this thread was new.
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file