CurlTalk

Fla. student arrested for science 'blast'

juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
Fla. student arrested for science 'blast'

Did the the officials act appropriately or overreact?

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png

Comments

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,780Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    On the one hand, I don't think she should have been arrested or expelled, maybe just suspended. On the other, where do you draw the line about what's allowed to be done at school? Smoke bomb is ok, but not a pipe bomb? Pellet gun, but not a rifle?

I don't believe for a minute that she didn't know what was going to happen. She did it before class, and that "recipe" has been going around Facebook for months.

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1367585513.654551.jpg

That picture isn't very clear, hopefully this link works!

http://www.thatsnonsense.com/view.php?id=1676
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users
    Health and safety gone mad combined with post 9/11, post Boston explosions hysteria, mixed in with a bit of racism and a general disdain for science...calling it an overreating is putting it mildly.

ETA: I think a week's suspension would have been apropriate and harsh enough.
  • chloe92uschloe92us Posts: 1,203Registered Users
    My 1st grade son was suspended because he pointed his FINGERS like a gun at school. The automatic rules are stupid. She did this experiment by herself, by a lake! If she meant harm, she would have planned it in a more conspicuous location. I think discipline in schools needs to be looked at individually- does the child have a history of mental or behavioral issues? Do they get good grades, participate in activities? Teenagers are notorious for bad judgement calls. This is a teaching moment, not a ruin her life moment. Disgraceful in my opinion.
    2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
    Cleanse: AIA cowash, TJ Tea Tree Condish
    Condish: JC Too Shea, Tresemme Botanique
    Stylers: flax/okra gel or KCCC + CJ PP or JC Spiralicious
    Experimenting with Got2B Ultra gel and loving it so far!
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,780Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I understand the school has rules and they are following them, but what about the DA? Makes no sense that she was charged after reading this....

"Some commenters accused Glotfelty of a double standard, noting that three days after Wilmot was charged she declined to prosecute a 13-year-old boy who killed his 10-year-old brother with a BB gun. She said "it is our opinion that this case can only be seen as a tragic accident."
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,270Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Sounds like even the school doesn't think it was that serious (or that she was anything but curious) and they did check with the. Science teacher. The school needs to work some degrees of punishment into their "policies". She should have had a small in school suspension and been given a paper to research on something related to WHY this was a bad idea to do unsupervised.
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,270Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    PS then they should immediately try to get that girl some scholarship money for college on a science field.
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users
    This is crazy, and I do believe an overreaction. I don't know whats going on. Shortly after I got out of school I heard stories about changes in my former elementary school. Students could no longer play punch bug, play with a stick (in a non threatening way), touch the walls, etc... I recently asked questions in another forum about teachers no longer being able to grade papers in red ink because it might scare the kids (which was proposed in the mid 2000's and has been implemented in some schools), honor rolls are no longer published in some because it might hurt someones feelings, and all kinds of hypersensitive bull isht which has grown and grown since the late 90's. Now as we know from other stories they can pass around pic msgs of possible sexual assault and bully someone out of the school, but for the love of pete, don't touch anything or be a curious kid. What she did could have been dangerous, but thankfully no one was hurt, and if they really do believe she made a silly mistake and had no intent to harm, than address that in school. No need for charges, especially if she had no prior disciplinary history.

As one article I recently read said, "Let them have their sticks!"
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • YoshimiYoshimi Posts: 237Registered Users
    I think the reason for over reactions like this is that schools find it very difficult to defend themselves when the next kid that blows something up is the budding criminal, for whom the punishment would actually fit. The parents of that kid could pull out gender or race or anything else to hide from the fact that the true difference was one of intent and history.

Schools are prevented from making individual decisions about individual students by screaming parents.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using CurlTalk App
    2C, Medium thickness, Low posity
    Recovering from a year of keratin and bleach with CG

Routine

Low Poo, Condition, Leave in, Curl cream, Supersoak, Gel, Diffuse on high heat, with minimal lift to encourage waves and reduce frizz, Dry on cool with nozzle down to smooth hair and finish drying,Shine Serum

Weekly gelatin protien treatments.
    Yoshimi wrote: »
    Schools are prevented from making individual decisions about individual students by screaming parents.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using CurlTalk App

Very true.

I *shudder* (this phone...) to think of what would have happened to the numerous kids who set off smoke bombs, stink bombs, cherry bombs, and set fires in metal trash (no danger) cans, and blew up beakers at my school. Those were typical teen pranks or mishaps. They received a suspension, which the parents fully supported. No parental fits, unless they honestly had good reason.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    "She is a good kid," he added. "She has never been in trouble before. Ever."

"Some commenters accused Glotfelty of a double standard, noting that three days after Wilmot was charged she declined to prosecute a 13-year-old boy who killed his 10-year-old brother with a BB gun. She said 'it is our opinion that this case can only be seen as a tragic accident.'"

Noise + smoke but no injuries or death = expulsion + arrest, which could affect her the rest of her life.

A kid is killed = no punishment ????

Sometimes rules suck.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    "She is a good kid," he added. "She has never been in trouble before. Ever."

"Some commenters accused Glotfelty of a double standard, noting that three days after Wilmot was charged she declined to prosecute a 13-year-old boy who killed his 10-year-old brother with a BB gun. She said 'it is our opinion that this case can only be seen as a tragic accident.'"

Noise + smoke but no injuries or death = expulsion + arrest, which could affect her the rest of her life.

A kid is killed = no punishment ????

Sometimes rules suck.

TNB, it isn't the rule that is the problem here.

co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)

event.png
    ^^^Well, yeah, in part it is. School officials who don't know when to bend the rules are a problem too.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    ^^^Well, yeah, in part it is. School officials who don't know when to bend the rules are a problem too.

She did break the rules. No need to bend them, neither is there a need to be so severe. A 3 day suspension would have been sufficient IMO.

event.png
    I don't see how that wouldn't be bending the rules. School policy calls for automatic expulsion for bringing explosive devices to school or school activities unless under an instructor's supervision. I agree expulsion is overly harsh though.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

BOMB AND EXPLOSIVE - SECTION 5.05

A student who is in possession of a bomb, explosive device, or substance or materials intended for use in a bomb or explosive device or substance while at school or a school sponsored activity, on School Board property or a school bus (unless the material or device is being used as part of a legitimate school-related activity or science project conducted under the supervision of an instructor with the knowledge and consent of the principal), is guilty of a serious breach of conduct punishable as follows:
    Expulsion from School (for not less than one full year)

As was stated by the principal and teachers, she was not intending any malice. As I interpret this rule, if her intent was a science experiment vs making a bomb, then she should have been suspended. The school officials could have interpreted it in the same manner.

event.png
    The article said the school confirmed with the teacher that she had no knowledge of the "experiment." That seemed to hurt Wilmot's claim.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

event.png
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    "I was kind of surprised that people haven't thought about the other kids," who were hanging out in the area where Kiera started the small explosion. "Thank the good Lord she didn't get hurt either," he said. "The biggest thing is that all kids are entitled to a safe environment."

This is what has stood out in my mind. She broke the school rules....possibly endangered others.....I agree with the expulsion. If it was a science experiment she had been working on she could have either done this with school supervision or if on her own, away from the school.

I don't think she did this with the intention of hurting anyone. Mostly stupidity on her part, but all the same a lesson needs to be learned here. Not only by her, but by other students.

If someone had of been killed or maimed would people think her punishment was too severe? She should consider herself lucky that no one got hurt.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    The website Southern Fried Science took a turn away from discussions on conservation and endangered species to weigh in on Kiera's case, asking scientists how many "accidentally blew something up in high school doing science?" Many responded by describing their adolescent capers.

Not trying to argumentative, I just wanted to point out the risk of something blowing up in science experimentation is known and accepted.

She made a mistake, she broke the rules. No malice was intended. I am hoping they will leave it at a one year expulsion, and she will be back in school next year. I also hope her inquisitiveness will get channeled and that she will get scholarships and go on to be a successful scientist. Who knows, she one day she may discover the cure for cancer, aids or heart disease.

event.png
    Of course there is a risk in a science class under supervision. I don't think that is the point here. She did it outside of class on the school grounds. Very stupid and irresponsible move. I thought the expulsion was for one year, which is what I agree with. I don't think there should be any police record. Someone from her house yelled that this was all blown out of proportion. This concerns me that she and her family don't understand what "could" have happened. I don't like the fact that people are praising her for her inquisitive scientific mind and ignoring the danger she could have put other students in.

We can talk about what we and others did decades ago, but our world is different today. I don't remember students bringing weapons to school or trying to blow up a school when I was a student.

I'm not going to argue my point. It is what it is.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    juanab wrote: »

She did break the rules. No need to bend them, neither is there a need to be so severe. A 3 day suspension would have been sufficient IMO.
    I don't see how that wouldn't be bending the rules. School policy calls for automatic expulsion for bringing explosive devices to school or school activities unless under an instructor's supervision. I agree expulsion is overly harsh though.
    Whoopsie! Juana! I think I misread your original post, hence the ensuing debate started by me. Sorry...
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

Trouble Maker...:tongue2:
    From Michael Berg:

Expulsion for a year, using 12 months to reflect, forced to come back with a different class, fall behind, and graduate a year later sound like enough punishment for what COULD have happened to me, if that is the schools rules. A charge that could ruin or hinder possibilities, for the rest of your life, for what could have happened, seems extreme.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've read some of the most interesting articles from teachers who are resigning and quitting due to major problems with education. Teachers can not create their own assignments, many are no longer allowed to grade their classes work, school officials are met with distrust, hands are tied, creativity, conversations and experiments are discouraged. Current school policies and practices were called Byzantine at best, and Draconian at worst.

Makes you think...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Another brief educational sidetrack: I have to say, with the stuff I have been reading, I am so glad I do not have a child. It makes me sick to say that, but I am. I can not figure out exactly what is going on. I keep trying to read both sides of arguments, but it's... Some pre school teachers can not even say artistic to their students anymore. It's heart breaking reading blogs from parents who don't know wtf is happening, and are wondering when the line of "too much" is crossed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lotsawaves wrote: »
    Of course there is a risk in a science class under supervision. I don't think that is the point here. She did it outside of class on the school grounds. Very stupid and irresponsible move. I thought the expulsion was for one year, which is what I agree with. I don't think there should be any police record. Someone from her house yelled that this was all blown out of proportion. This concerns me that she and her family don't understand what "could" have happened. I don't like the fact that people are praising her for her inquisitive scientific mind and ignoring the danger she could have put other students in.

We can talk about what we and others did decades ago, but our world is different today. I don't remember students bringing weapons to school or trying to blow up a school when I was a student.

I'm not going to argue my point. It is what it is.

Lotsa, I understand what you are saying and don't disagree for the most part. Just because it wasn't in the classroom doesn't mean it wasn't an experiment. They went too far in arresting her. I agree with her family in that aspect, it was blown out of proportion. Especially in comparison to a child who was killed and no charges have been brought against the other child who killed him. Both were accidents.

event.png

Whoopsie! Juana! I think I misread your original post, hence the ensuing debate started by me. Sorry...

TNB, no problem. A healthy, respectful debate is good.

event.png
    I don't think she should have been arrested either. I don't think you can compare a kid accidentally shooting his sibling to what she did. She knew what she was doing.
    From Michael Berg:

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The website Southern Fried Science took a turn away from discussions on conservation and endangered species to weigh in on Kiera's case, asking scientists how many "accidentally blew something up in high school doing science?" Many responded by describing their adolescent capers.

Not trying to argumentative, I just wanted to point out the risk of something blowing up in science experimentation is known and accepted.

She made a mistake, she broke the rules. No malice was intended. I am hoping they will leave it at a one year expulsion, and she will be back in school next year. I also hope her inquisitiveness will get channeled and that she will get scholarships and go on to be a successful scientist. Who knows, she one day she may discover the cure for cancer, aids or heart disease.

Are we sure no malice was intended?

I haven't been following this too closely so I might have missed something. But I read she described her experiment as "a science fair experiment."

Was there, in fact, a science fair scheduled for later that day? That week? Had she signed up to participate in it? If so, had anyone approved her choice of experiment? Depending on the answers, you could conclude she was intentionally trying to incite a panic, the school was 100% culpable, or anything in between.

Lotsawaves wrote: »
    I don't think she should have been arrested either. I don't think you can compare a kid accidentally shooting his sibling to what she did. She knew what she was doing.

He is 13. He knew the danger of pointing a gun at someone's head.

event.png