New to this site & new to being natural!

apcurlzapcurlz Posts: 12Registered Users
Hi everyone -

I posted under 3c but I wanted to ask these same questions here. I appreciate ANY help...

I am a 3b-3c ish hair type with very thick shoulder length hair (when straight). When my hair is wet - it is wavy/curly. (Even when I have a relaxer) And I have discovered that if I use mousse or some types of gel - I can scrunch the wet curls to make them last all day. This is where I need some help...

First question - how do I make my roots curlier because I end up only wearing it in a ponytail since the curls are better at the middle and ends? At the root, I have more of a thick wave pattern.

Second question - the only way I can get my hair curly to wear as a style is to wash it everyday :cry: to get fresh looking curls. So, my second day hair is not happening! If I sleep directly on the curls, they get extremely soft (like cotten!) and frizzy.

What products (not gel) do you suggest to, first, embrace my curls and, second, to help my second day hair? Any suggestions on gaining shine or luster also?

I really appreciate ANY advice and I am excited about this site and finally getting some help to wear my hair natural!!! I have always wanted to go natural but never had the knowledge to do it!

Thanks curlies!

3b,
Very Thick
Shoulder-length when Straight

Hair Loves - Ion Curl Defining Conditioner and Ion Curl Defining Shaping Creme; Also love Carol's Daughter Hair Milk

Just ordered WEN to see what happens!

Comments

• mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My daughter has the same type of hair. I buy her Infusion leave in treatment and spray it in her hair every day. It makes the curls come back really nicely and it also protects her hair. I try not to use any gels in her hair because it made my older daughter's hair change drastically. If you use mousse, I would try to wash it out every other day or so. I also use Ion Anti-Frizz Straight Solutions Heat Protection - the thing is I don't use it with the flatiron like the directions say, I spray it in her hair and comb it. It leaves her hair really soft and it detangles really well. At night I make her wear a satin cap with conditioner inside which you can buy at Sally's beauty supply, but make sure you buy the kind with conditioner in the cap.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• apcurlzapcurlz Posts: 12Registered Users
    great advice - thanks!

3b,
    Very Thick

Hair Loves - Ion Curl Defining Conditioner and Ion Curl Defining Shaping Creme; Also love Carol's Daughter Hair Milk

You're welcome
    I need to follow my own advice and buy the silk cap myself. When I use it I don't get any split ends. I don't know what the heck I do to my hair at night that I wake up with half of it plastered to my forehead LOL :cry: :lol:
    - Maria

Hey - are the caps one time use - or made to use repeatedly? Also - about how long does it take (on average) to transistion?

Thanks!

3b,
    Very Thick

apcurlz wrote:
    Hey - are the caps one time use - or made to use repeatedly? Also - about how long does it take (on average) to transistion?

Thanks!

I buy the caps at Sally's for about $2.50 or so and I usually will throw them out after 3 months. My hairdresser recommended them to me because I get alot of split ends.

As far as transition, its only been month 3 for me. I still have a while to go. Most people tell me 2 yrs. I can't even imagine waiting that long for anything LOL :shock: :D
    - Maria

Hi - okay - I think I will go buy one asap. I was just in Sally's and I tried three new products recently and it turns out the Silk Elements mousse I already used works the best. It leaves my hair soft with more natural looking curls. I tried the IC Fantasia gel and also the Beyond Zone curl creme and they both gave me zig zag waves/curls that were more loose and almost looked wet, even though they were dry. The were also "crisp" to the touch!

I am still trying to find out if there is an alternative to the mousse.

But anyway... we are about in the same boat because my last relaxer was in December (can't remember the date). But, you are right - two years is a long time to transistion! :shock:

3b,
    Very Thick

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file