We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

I need volume!

I REALLY need some help in the volume department. I have no clue how to even start to get it. My hair is 2b/c, low-med porosity, fine, and shoulder length.

I am using Nature's Gate Biotin Strengthening condish and Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam. They work GREAT, but no matter what I do I can never get volume at my ROOTS.

Help? :confused2:

Comments

• RytokaRytoka Posts: 309Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried clipping! There is a good how to video on the Deva site
    Katie
    2C/3a, Medium Texture, Normal porosity, High Density, Normal Elasticity (so says the LCLF Hair analysis)
    Co Wash: As I am
    RO: Yes To Carrots / Ion
    LI: Biotera / Samy Big Curls Defining Cream
    Gel: FSG, Volumax (Original and Mega)
    Color: Henna
    Tools: Diffusing
    :thumright:
  • WeathercurlWeathercurl Posts: 228Registered Users
    I think diffusing is important for overall volume but clipping is the only thing that guarantees root volume. I can kind of tell after I diffuse if I need to clip. If things are looking flat, I clip or use some small jaw clamps for 10 to 30 minutes and that does the trick. I pineapple at night and that gives me plenty of volume for 2 or 3rd day hair.
    2b/2c ( weather permitting - 3a), fine texture but lots of it, colored and highlights, BSL.
    Experimenting w CG since Oct 2012

Current rotation:
    cowash= TN
    AG Gel Mousse, LA Gel,
    DT = Coconut oil (love)
  • NoumenonNoumenon Posts: 86Registered Users
    I second the clipping for volume but a couple of other ideas are:

- Do your hair drying up side down
    - Dry shampoo, Its the bomb! I often go flat at the back of my head, i spray a little on to the base of my roots and I get quite a bit of lift.
    - There are volume powders that you shake though your hair, they do a really good job for some of my friends with very fine limp hair.
    Modified CG since 8/12
    Hair: BSL, Thick, Low Porosity, Dense, 3A
    HG's: Moogoo, Ultraorganics Intense Camomile Conditioner and Clear Henna Hair Wax, Sukin Conditioners, CO, Spray Bottle, Henna
    Low-Poo: Moogoo Shampoo
    Co-Wash: Sukin Nourishing Conditioner
    DT: CHHW, ICC, CO
    LI: Sukin Moisture Restoring
    Colour: Henna
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • wavywonderwavywonder Posts: 32Registered Users
    I use this with great results...

Amazon.com: got2b Powder'ful Volumizing Styling Powder-0.35 oz: Health & Personal Care

You shake it into your roots and sort of rub it in, and instant volume! Now it does leave a residue at your roots that you have to wash out in the shower later, but I don't really care since it works so well and nobody can tell but me. Also, I bought mine at Walgreens rather than Amazon and paid about half the price. The small bottle lasts forever and ever too.
  • WeathercurlWeathercurl Posts: 228Registered Users
    Wavywonder is on to something. I forgot how much volume I get when I use dry shampoo. I get BIG hair and it lasts all day. Total '80's flashback. ;-)
    2b/2c ( weather permitting - 3a), fine texture but lots of it, colored and highlights, BSL.
    Experimenting w CG since Oct 2012

Current rotation:
    cowash= TN
    AG Gel Mousse, LA Gel,
    DT = Coconut oil (love)
  • angelicakangelicak Posts: 127Registered Users
    I REALLY need some help in the volume department. I have no clue how to even start to get it. My hair is 2b/c, low-med porosity, fine, and shoulder length.

I am using Nature's Gate Biotin Strengthening condish and Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam. They work GREAT, but no matter what I do I can never get volume at my ROOTS.

Help? :confused2:

HAIR TWIN?
    :D
    I just diffuse upside down, can't figure out clipping so whatever but I adore my diffuser it's amazing
    CG since: 2/9/2013
    HAIR: 2a/b with nearly straight hair at neck, flat on top, low porosity, medium density, fine, medium length
    Currently using:
    Low Poo/No Poo: SM YB, Malibu C Hardwater Wellness (every other day)
    Rinse Out: Malibu C Hardwater Wellness Conditioner
    Leave In: SM Coconut Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk
    Gel: Volumax (Sally's)
    PT: gelatin!
    DT: Curls Unleashed NR

Love diffusing.:p
    Always learning!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file