CurlTalk

CG-Friendly Mousse Recommendations?

Alright! So, I am looking for a good mousse for my 2b/c, fine, low-med porosity hair. I am not worried about getting definition. I love my loose-ish curls/waves just the way they are. I have a problem with frizz and lack of volume. Gels DO NOT work on my hair. I have tried SO many and they cause my waves to sag and look flat. Even the lightest gels such as HETT...

One mousse I've had good results with is Herbal Essences Tousle Me Softly. I've had decent results with Pantene Curly Mousse as well, but it isn't quite as good as the HETMS.

Basically, what I want is more frizz control and volume. Any one have any recs.? ;-)

Comments

• ChocolateSwirlsChocolateSwirls Posts: 63Registered Users
    No one? :(
  • curlylifestylecurlylifestyle Posts: 77Registered Users
    Devacurl has a mouse type of thing i don't remember what it's called but it has the word foam in it....my friend has similar hair and after scrunching it in it looked GORGEOUS
    Devacurl has a mouse type of thing i don't remember what it's called but it has the word foam in it....my friend has similar hair and after scrunching it in it looked GORGEOUS

Was this it?

DevaCurl Frizz-Free Volumizing Foam - NaturallyCurly.com
  • chloe92uschloe92us Posts: 1,203Registered Users
    There have been several mousse threads very recently... ;). Check recent posts and you'll get some ideas about what others are using.
    2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
    Cleanse: AIA cowash, TJ Tea Tree Condish
    Condish: JC Too Shea, Tresemme Botanique
    Stylers: flax/okra gel or KCCC + CJ PP or JC Spiralicious
    Experimenting with Got2B Ultra gel and loving it so far!
  • morganrcmorganrc Posts: 86Registered Users
    I like john freida frizz ease curl reviver mousse. :) No cones, I promise! I would have never tried this stuff, but I went on vacation, and I could only take travel size stuff on the plane, and this is the only one that came small enough. I got like, 3. Anyway, it's soooo soft and light weight, and yea, love it.
    2B, Coarse, Low-Medium Porosity, Dense.
    -Cowash - Kiss My Face Whenever.
    -Rinse Out/Leave in - Nature's Gate Biotin.
    -No stylers.:thumbright:
  • wavywonderwavywonder Posts: 32Registered Users
    Gel does the exact same thing to my 2B hair which is also low/med porosity.....drags it down and makes it look weighted. I use mousse exclusively, and my favorite so far has been this one

Condition 3-in-1*Maximum Hold Mousse | Walgreens

Don't let the boring, unassuming bottle and cheap price fool you. It works great! Helps me with my frizz and keeps my hair bouncy and flowy all day, which is the look I like. If I use gel I have to keep messing with and "fixing" my hair to make it look good. This mousse helps my hair look its best, but it's not contrived. It also has a nice smell that dissipates quickly and is CG friendly. I currently have 8 bottles under my sink :blob5:
  • cristi05cristi05 Posts: 27Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The Condition 3 in 1 mousse has Dimethicone - is that Curly Girl?? I haven't used it for years - used to love it on my permed hair in the 80's. (I didn't realize I had natural curls!!);)
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,332Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use the Deva Foam in the warmer weather. I have also used Tousle me Softly - I have always liked it better than Totally Twisted. 3 i n 1 may have some dimethicone which is NOT CG but its far down the list. It has protein in it which does not work well for me..
  • curlylifestylecurlylifestyle Posts: 77Registered Users
    I believe it was....it looked so good that she was asked to be a hair model for some curly hair salons demo class
    Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! :toothy4:
    cristi05 wrote: »
    The Condition 3 in 1 mousse has Dimethicone - is that Curly Girl?? I haven't used it for years - used to love it on my permed hair in the 80's. (I didn't realize I had natural curls!!);)

It's a water soluble cone....so no problem here :thumbright:
  • angelicakangelicak Posts: 127Registered Users
    Thanks for an awesome post! I want to try mousse so bad :)
    CG since: 2/9/2013
    HAIR: 2a/b with nearly straight hair at neck, flat on top, low porosity, medium density, fine, medium length
    Currently using:
    Low Poo/No Poo: SM YB, Malibu C Hardwater Wellness (every other day)
    Rinse Out: Malibu C Hardwater Wellness Conditioner
    Leave In: SM Coconut Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk
    Gel: Volumax (Sally's)
    PT: gelatin!
    DT: Curls Unleashed NR

Love diffusing.:p
    Always learning!
  • hambo02hambo02 Posts: 480Registered Users
    all the herbal essence mouses are cg!
  • Aqua_LilyAqua_Lily Posts: 557Registered Users
    The Jane Carter Solution Wrap & Roll. This is a mousse, completely CG friendly, and it's AMAZING stuff. Always makes my hair look great. It rocks!! :D
    4-2.png
    Current length: tailbone
    Goal length: mid-thigh (wet)
    3A/2C M iii med por, high elast

HGs:
    Clarify: Nivea
    Lo-poo: Nature's Gate
    CW: Elvive Volume Collagen
    RO: EO Keratin, Desert Essence Raspberry

LI: Elvive volume collagen, KCKT
    Seal: Grapeseed oil
    Gel: Studioline

PT: EO Keratin co
    DT: RO+oils
    Hairgrowth stim.: JBCO+EVCO

www.iherb.com 5-10$ discount code:
    VHT541 Many natural hair products! :D
  • CurlyCutie1394CurlyCutie1394 Posts: 348Registered Users
    hambo02 wrote: »

I was just about to type this I like the tousle me softly even though my hair is 3c curly kinky instead of wavy. I'm gonna try the totally twisted one later this week
  • PomegranateCurlPomegranateCurl Posts: 212Registered Users
    I don't believe that dimethicone is water soluble.
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,193Registered Users
    Dimethicone is water soluble if it has PPG or PEG in front of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    I don't believe that dimethicone is water soluble.

You're correct, PomegranateCurl....I should have been more clear by saying that Condition 3 in 1 has a water soluble cone it in, and therefore shouldn't be a problem.
  • ECCurlyECCurly Posts: 285Registered Users
    Here's another thread that I started a while ago about a similar topic.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/157825-mousses-styling-foams.html
    VERY fine 2B/3A hair
    Chin-length - growing it out...again.
  • FloridaCurlyFloridaCurly Posts: 21Registered Users
    wavywonder wrote: »
    Gel does the exact same thing to my 2B hair which is also low/med porosity.....drags it down and makes it look weighted. I use mousse exclusively, and my favorite so far has been this one

Condition 3-in-1*Maximum Hold Mousse | Walgreens

Don't let the boring, unassuming bottle and cheap price fool you. It works great! Helps me with my frizz and keeps my hair bouncy and flowy all day, which is the look I like. If I use gel I have to keep messing with and "fixing" my hair to make it look good. This mousse helps my hair look its best, but it's not contrived. It also has a nice smell that dissipates quickly and is CG friendly. I currently have 8 bottles under my sink :blob5:

For those who live in the south I just found this at Publix for $2.99. They had both bottles with the pink writing and the purple writing. I got the purple which is the "maximum hold."

I also just bought the Moroccanoil Curl Defining mousse for $23.20 at Regis and used it on dry hair. Regis did say I could return it within 30 days if used and 60 days if not used.The smell, while good, was powerful and lingered. On dry hair I thought it was so-so. I will try on soaking wet hair and report back.

I also tried a sample of the DevaCurl Frizz-Free Volumizing Foam at Ulta on dry hair (one side of my head) and really liked it - much better than the Moraccanoil mouse on dry hair. I didn't purchase it because I am waiting for a 20% off coupon.
    2C/Fine Texture/Normal Porosity/Normal Elasticity/Very Humid Climate
  • KoilsOfALibraKoilsOfALibra Posts: 5Registered Users
    hambo02 wrote: »

I was just about to type this I like the tousle me softly even though my hair is 3c curly kinky instead of wavy. I'm gonna try the totally twisted one later this week

YES!!! That's great to know!! I just started the CG Method last week and have been wanting to find a mousse to try for my roller sets (VERY dense 4c hair with fine and medium strands) I'd like to try mousse first, if that doesn't work I'll try the Jane Carter Wrap and Roll Foam.

I want to try the HE Set Me Up Extra Hold mousse.

Thanks a ton for the tip!!:notworthy: