Sulfate-free shampoo: I broke down!

I have type 2c hair and switched to sulfate-free shampoo a couple of months ago- mainly using DevaCurl Low-poo.

I recently gave myself a coconut oil scalp and hair treatment (mixed in some peppermint essential oil). It did not wash off using 3 rounds of the Low-poo. So the next day I grabbed an Aussie shampoo and washed my hair twice (major lather!) to get rid of the oil. It worked of course, though my hair is drier than before, not sure if the coconut oil is not agreeing with my hair/scalp or having 'sinned' by going back to sulfate-containing shampoo.

Any thoughts, advice?

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    Coconut oil washes out better with conditioner only washing than shampoo IME and I've heard others say the same, usually I wash twice but occasionally only once. I use a ton of a really cheap drugstore product not a pricey branded cleansing conditioner, add more water if needed, work up a 'lather' and leave it to soak for a few minutes.

Your hair more likely feels dry because you have shampoo'd five times in a row than because it hates the coconut oil.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • LittleMissHoopLittleMissHoop Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thanks Firefox7275! I had heard about co-washing to get coconut oil out but somehow felt it wouldn't be suifficicent get the oil of the the hair. You've convinced me to try it next time!
    Beside getting oil out of hair, I have to admit I feel like using a 'regular' shampoo once in a while to get my scalp and hair really clean- or so it feels. I realize it's the lather is what makes us believe it's more effective- I do admit I fall into that trap!
    Most of us have that disbelief, I even had a chemistry graduate tell me that you cannot wash with conditioner the other day, but actually the science is there. The cationic surfactants are emulsifying agents (= mix oil and water) that is how many conditioners that include oils don't separate and you can actually blend in more (I do for intensive treatments). Good science-in-plain-English articles here on NC.com by 'curl chemist' Tonya McKay if you are interested in that side
    Tonya McKay | NaturallyCurly.com

Honestly I never thought I would CO-wash but I couldn't use sulphates due to skin problems and I got mailed the wrong sulphate-free shampoo ... my first time was slimy and strange. Now I hate to shampoo, it feels 'dry' and tangly and leaves my hair straw-like. The most important things are to use enough product and to do plenty of massage, there are how to videos on YouTube.

Remember you can always sulphate free shampoo after a CO-wash if you don't like the result, or switch between the two, it doesn't have to be one or the other. We are all on a unique journey, some have wonderful curls from pure CG some need modified CG.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
  • hambo02hambo02 Registered Users Posts: 480
    yeah co washing is way better to get coconut oil off the scalp, idk why but it works alot better.
  • LittleMissHoopLittleMissHoop Registered Users Posts: 3
    Interesting how you now feel about shampoo...
    Wondering... does co-washing (or sulfate-free shampooing) get rid of 'cones?
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Curl Connoisseur
    Cowashing will only remove water soluble silicones. Sulfate free shampoos that contain Cocamidopropyl Betaine or Cocobetaine will remove all silicones, water soluble or not.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    I'm skeptical about using conditioner to clean my scalp because I see conditioner like lotion to the body. In my mind conditioner isn't meant to clean the hair but keep it moisturized as lotion does for the body. I wouldn't jump in the shower & instead of using soap to clean my body I use lotion. If I did that, I would get out the shower just as dirty as when I got in the shower. That's why I have sulfate free shampoo.
    I'm skeptical about using conditioner to clean my scalp because I see conditioner like lotion to the body. In my mind conditioner isn't meant to clean the hair but keep it moisturized as lotion does for the body. I wouldn't jump in the shower & instead of using soap to clean my body I use lotion. If I did that, I would get out the shower just as dirty as when I got in the shower. That's why I have sulfate free shampoo.

Many people with dermatological problems do use a lotion to cleanse their body rather than a foaming product. WEN now make body cleansers that are more like lotion than shower gel. The three ingredients after water are the same as you see in many hair conditioners
    WEN® Body Cleansing Creme

A rich conditioner is more like a rich lotion for the body as you say. The sort of conditioners many of us use to CO-wash are actually poor at conditioning, they are too light. More like cleansing lotion that you might use to remove make up, it's the same cationic surfactants (act as emulsifiers) in both. I wash my facial cleansing lotion off with water, and my face feels really clean and fresh afterwards. Others cleanse their face with oils, most of the commercial products contain an emulsifier so they rinse clean with water.

Anyway I work in a customer facing role, my boss would have something to say if I looked dirty or smelled bad! :pain10:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file