How do YOU smooth down your edges?

Can we exchange tips? I've tried various methods/products to smooth down my edges and the rebellious wiry chia pet hairs that spring forth on the front of my scalp. Creams, gellies, gels etc. It all seems to work as a temporary fix but not that well because the little buggers will escape on me later in the day. My edges aren't baby fine either. They can get a little kinky on me so I don't know what to do to keep them down. Other than securing them with bobby pins. But too much of that can mess with my fringe.
3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

Comments

• YoshimiYoshimi Registered Users Posts: 237
    The only thing that keeps me under control all day is this; every time I go to the bathroom and wash my hands I run my wet hands over my crown, almost as if I was going to pull it back in a ponytail, but lightly, and scrunch a little. It puts everything back in place and is frequent enough to keepy hair looking done

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using CurlTalk App
    2C, Medium thickness, Low posity
    Recovering from a year of keratin and bleach with CG

Routine

Low Poo, Condition, Leave in, Curl cream, Supersoak, Gel, Diffuse on high heat, with minimal lift to encourage waves and reduce frizz, Dry on cool with nozzle down to smooth hair and finish drying,Shine Serum

Weekly gelatin protien treatments.
  • fefe912fefe912 Registered Users Posts: 570
    usually eco styler works fine by itself, but if my hair is deciding to be stingy I mix it with castor oil and smooth it down. Sometimes I use a rattail comb and run it over my edges with the gel. Applying gel mixed with castor and wrapping a scarf around your edges or a headband for a few mins also works
  • my3curliesmy3curlies Registered Users Posts: 161
    I use pomades on dry hair. One of my faves being curls curl control paste.
    :!::!: Under Construction :!::!:
  • anonymous_133347anonymous_133347 Registered Users Posts: 1,426
    Hmmm. . . I have castor oil, I can and do wash my hands quite frequently, and I'll look into this pomade business. Thanks everybody! Keep the suggestions coming if you have them.

CG since Nov. 2012

Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
    Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper

* = HG

• DNiseDNise Registered Users Posts: 13
    :'( nothing works for my edges. I've tried gel (fruit of the earth, african essentials, eco styler), gelling them down then wrapping them, jam, pomades, the "edge stick" ...every thing and not one product was able to tame my edges. I've even tried brushing my edges with a tooth brush to get them to lay down and.... nothing! So I just don't even bother. I won't win.
  • MeeraMeera Registered Users Posts: 105
    Shea butter & a brush. Or a pomade.
    Dnise, I feel you. Mine will stay put a few hours or so. Then when I go to check myself in the mirror they're out and about again. I think I might start packing some product in my purse to fix them.

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

• ReekyReeky Registered Users Posts: 1,323
    Castor oil mixed with trader joes aloe vera gel, love it. If I want more hold I "finish" with kccc (literally just dip my finger in and smooth it on top). Tie it down w a scarf of course. I do it nightly too. Had to stop using eco cause its too hard of a hold and my edges were breaking.
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • Curly SaraCurly Sara Registered Users Posts: 183
    I have tried many gels and oils to smooth my edges but nothing works permanently (for a whole day).
    But i have found my wonderproduct: UNREFINED SHEA BUTTER!!! This really works and does not leave the hair sticky or stiff but gives it a natural shine and calms down the hairedges (antifrizz). I use the "out of africa - unrefined shea butter with vanilla scent". Unrefined shea butter doesnt smell very good but this one smells heavenly vanilla.

I order mine at iherb: http://m.iherb.com/Out-of-Africa-100-Pure-and-Unrefined-Vanilla-Shea-Butter-Raw-and-Wild-Crafted-8-oz-227-g/45324

Use the couponcode BIF028 to get 5/10 dollars of on your first order.
    Hair type/properties:
    3c hair, high porosity, mediumdensity, low elasticity, fine hair.

Curly hair routine/regime:
    Combine the modified cg-method (low poo) and a modified tightly curly method.
    -Condition and leave in: Aubrey Organics, Giovanni Barzilian keratin and argan oil
    -Sealer: shea butter, Argan, olive and coconutoil
    -Gel: homemade flaxseed gel, Kinky curly custard, Queen Helene Curl royal shaping creme.
    Reporting in. A drop of drop castor oil mixed with a dollop of Shea Moisture's Curl & Style did a better job than most. But it's not like I can carry around castor oil everywhere. Unless I put it in a smaller container. . . Hmmm. Now I'm gonna try shea butter. And mixing the castor with the AVG. And a scarf sounds like it might give me flat top but I'm gonna try a thin one out just around the crown, headband style. I can always fluff up the roots afterwards.

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

• ss40ss40 Registered Users Posts: 1,790 Curl Neophyte
    Jc nourish & shine & as I am gel

These are my curlfessions
    :nike:About my hair:
    weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
    daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
    go to style-Pocahontas braids
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Curl Neophyte
    I don't care about my edges. :p
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • LoveInBetweenLoveInBetween Registered Users Posts: 392
    I have been using either eco styler or Kinky Curly's Pomade. No brushing, but I smooth vigorously with my fingers.

I have 3c/4a baby hairs

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    Curl Routine
    Co: As I am Coconut CoWash,VO5 Claifying Conditioner
    DC: Macadamia Repair Masque
    LI: KCKT, Suave Naturals Coconut
    Style Creme: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Gel: KCCC, Eco Styler Argan Oil
    Sealer: EVCO, EVOO

3b/3c, High Desity, High Porosity, Medium Texture, BSL
    ""Live by the sun, love by the moon"

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    I don't care about my edges. :p

I don't either. No time for all that.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • JessiebananaJessiebanana Banned Users Posts: 940
    It's never occured to me to smooth down my edges. Now I wonder if I look like some sort of jungle wild child :geek:.
  • chloe92uschloe92us Registered Users Posts: 1,203 Curl Neophyte
    It's never occured to me to smooth down my edges. Now I wonder if I look like some sort of jungle wild child :geek:.

That's what I'm wondering too! What the heck are edges, and why do they need to be smoothed???!!!! :shock:
    2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
    Cleanse: AIA cowash, TJ Tea Tree Condish
    Condish: JC Too Shea, Tresemme Botanique
    Stylers: flax/okra gel or KCCC + CJ PP or JC Spiralicious
    Experimenting with Got2B Ultra gel and loving it so far!
  • So_JaneSo_Jane Registered Users Posts: 155
    when I was completely natural I used to use a teeny bit of ecostyler gel +/under a natural pomade by Carol's Daughter and it was fine...

My friend used to use the ecostyler gel and a dab of Murray's pomade:toothy3:, but hey, it worked...
    'Poo: Aubrey Organics or Suave Clarifying
    or Liquid African Black Soap (only 4-ingredients ; awesome!)
    Co-Wash: Aubrey Organics or Suave Condish
    Condish: Aubrey Organics or Onion Mask or Yogurt
    DT: Honey + Olive Oil + AO Condish or Yogurt mix
    ---
    Best Gel Combo, Ever!: Elasta Qp Feels Like Silk Liquid Gel +/under Eco Styler [Krystal, Brown] Gel (or under Wetline Extreme Styling Gel)- awesome!!
    chloe92us wrote: »

That's what I'm wondering too! What the heck are edges, and why do they need to be smoothed???!!!! :shock:

Those of use with kinkier textures call our baby hairs or hairline - "edges". It's a slang we use in the african american community.

The need to be smoothed is a preference. Some like the polished look, some like to keep it wild.

Curl Routine

Yeah, I asked the board because I figured the tighter curlies would know a thing or two. Also those of us with looser curls yet still coarse hair have edges that look like a crown of spider legs. I think if my curls at the hairline were tighter it wouldn't look so noticeable but picture black little legs springing up and down, sticking out all wire-like. And then picture a haphazard curly Q at the end of every other leg. I feel like my edges are distracting. To me at least. Trying shea butter today. :hello1:

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

Dusa,

How you described it is perfect. I find it to be distracting to myself also.

Good luck with the shea! Have you tried KCCC to slick them down?
    Curl Routine

Those of use with kinkier textures call our baby hairs or hairline - "edges". It's a slang we use in the african american community.

The need to be smoothed is a preference. Some like the polished look, some like to keep it wild.

Ahhh gotcha...I'm tightly coiled and AA (obviously) and I guess I don't think about it cause my edges are fine and they seem to stay "down" all day...at least down enough for me. If they need to be smoother than this, let the wild hair continue :p.

Edges_zpsa7720273.jpg
  • hambo02hambo02 Registered Users Posts: 480
    yeah when i put my hair in a bun i get bad frizzies and fly aways. i cant smooth them down at all. I just hope they grow out.
  • pinkwolfpinkwolf Registered Users Posts: 430 Curl Novice
    I read where CurlyNicky put Shea butter on her edges at night and tied it down with a scarf. I tried this and it really works :-) But if I forget to do that the night before, I use water and a little KC Curling Custard or just organic conditioner. I use a toothbrush to slick it up with.

The worst thing I have ever used is the ORS edge control! That stuff was murder to get out and I only used a little!!

Sent from my N861 using CurlTalk App
    *Natural 3C/TWA* :toothy7:
    Wash: BS/ACV, ABS, KC Come Clean
    Conditioner: Garnier WB Honey Treasures
    , Garnier WB Apple & Green Tea
    Pre-Poo: Oils & Honey Mix
    DC: Garnier WB Honey Treasures Mask, SM 10-N-1

PT: Super Mayo Deep Conditioning Treatment
    Styler:
    KCCC
    Leave-In: KCKT
    Moisturizer:
    Whipped Shea Butter
    Oil/Sealant:
    EVCO, Jojoba

Ahhh gotcha...I'm tightly coiled and AA (obviously) and I guess I don't think about it cause my edges are fine and they seem to stay "down" all day...at least down enough for me. If they need to be smoother than this, let the wild hair continue :p.

Edges_zpsa7720273.jpg

I'm medium textured with a 3c/4a curl patten on my hairline and guuurl I wish it would lay down. The rest of my hair is strictly 3b now.

Most people's problem area is their crown, mine is my edges.

Here's glimpse of what I'm talking about..

Curl Routine

Oh yeah, that would be frustrating to have a tighter curl pattern around the edges!
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Curl Neophyte
    Oh yeah, that would be frustrating to have a tighter curl pattern around the edges!

So irritating because it needs to be treated differently than the rest of my hair. My edges have their own set of products!

Curl Routine

• anenaanena Registered Users Posts: 6
    I use ors edge gel and then I use ecco styler gel and my edges are good until I have to co-wash/wash my hair. <3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file