CurlTalk

Active Basketball Player Comes Out As Gay

CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlymix%2F" class="Popup
pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey

Comments

  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,660Registered Users
    Good for him....:thumright:
    From Michael Berg:

    Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,238Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    ditto
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • yossarianyossarian Posts: 967Registered Users
    Very courageous, given the testosterone-infused nature of male sports.The crucial issue is how other players react, and in that regard, Kobe's public statement of support is incredibly important.

    I wonder how his decision to reveal his homosexuality will affect his prospects for next season. Will an NBA team be reticent to sign him, given his "baggage"?

    I wish Jason the best of luck :thumbup:
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
    2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
    Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
    Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
    Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
    PT: BASK Whiskey Soak
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    FIRST pro athlete? Really???

    I had no idea until the Manti T'eo business that this was such a big deal.

    Kudos to Jason. I hope he inspires others and makes sports a safer place for LGBT kids.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,771Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    FIRST pro athlete? Really???

    I think that shocked me more then anything!

    Good for him and I hope this means others will feel comfortable enough to come out.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    FIRST pro athlete? Really???

    I had no idea until the Manti T'eo business that this was such a big deal.

    Kudos to Jason. I hope he inspires others and makes sports a safer place for LGBT kids.
    I think he's the first athlete to come out while still playing. Retired athletes have come out though.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

    I am the new Black.

    "Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    FIRST pro athlete? Really???

    I think that shocked me more then anything!

    Good for him and I hope this means others will feel comfortable enough to come out.

    I'm assuming Canadian males are different? It's a big deal here.
  • yossarianyossarian Posts: 967Registered Users
    FIRST pro athlete? Really???

    I had no idea until the Manti T'eo business that this was such a big deal.

    Kudos to Jason. I hope he inspires others and makes sports a safer place for LGBT kids.
    I think he's the first athlete to come out while still playing. Retired athletes have come out though.

    Correction: no male athlete has come out while still playing. Several female athletes (I think the first was WNBA star Sheryl Swoopes) have come out, but there isn't the same stigma. Just a couple of weeks ago, basketball player Brittney Griner mentioned that she is lesbian in an interview with Sports Illustrated, which didn't stop Nike from giving her a big endorsement deal.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
    2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
    Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
    Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
    Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
    PT: BASK Whiskey Soak
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    yossarian wrote: »
    FIRST pro athlete? Really???

    I had no idea until the Manti T'eo business that this was such a big deal.

    Kudos to Jason. I hope he inspires others and makes sports a safer place for LGBT kids.
    I think he's the first athlete to come out while still playing. Retired athletes have come out though.

    Correction: no male athlete has come out while still playing. Several female athletes (I think the first was WNBA star Sheryl Swoopes) have come out, but there isn't the same stigma. Just a couple of weeks ago, basketball player Brittney Griner mentioned that she is lesbian in an interview with Sports Illustrated, which didn't stop Nike from giving her a big endorsement deal.

    Yep I had a male coworkers tell me how it's different with guys and he wouldn't feel comfortable playing and being in a locker room with a gay athlete. Another one agreed and I'm not surprised.
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    Josephine wrote: »
    yossarian wrote: »
    I think he's the first athlete to come out while still playing. Retired athletes have come out though.

    Correction: no male athlete has come out while still playing. Several female athletes (I think the first was WNBA star Sheryl Swoopes) have come out, but there isn't the same stigma. Just a couple of weeks ago, basketball player Brittney Griner mentioned that she is lesbian in an interview with Sports Illustrated, which didn't stop Nike from giving her a big endorsement deal.

    Yep I had a male coworkers tell me how it's different with guys and he wouldn't feel comfortable playing and being in a locker room with a gay athlete. Another one agreed and I'm not surprised.

    They really need to get over themselves. The automatic assumption is that a gay guy is going to be attracted to you? Perhaps their fear comes from not being secure about their own sexuality.

    texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder
    .


    event.png
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    @Yossarian Ahhh, I see.^^
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

    I am the new Black.

    "Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    juanab wrote: »
    Josephine wrote: »
    yossarian wrote: »

    Correction: no male athlete has come out while still playing. Several female athletes (I think the first was WNBA star Sheryl Swoopes) have come out, but there isn't the same stigma. Just a couple of weeks ago, basketball player Brittney Griner mentioned that she is lesbian in an interview with Sports Illustrated, which didn't stop Nike from giving her a big endorsement deal.

    Yep I had a male coworkers tell me how it's different with guys and he wouldn't feel comfortable playing and being in a locker room with a gay athlete. Another one agreed and I'm not surprised.

    They really need to get over themselves. The automatic assumption is that a gay guy is going to be attracted to you? Perhaps their fear comes from not being secure about their own sexuality.
    Is that the reason? Maybe. But I don't necessarily think so. Similar topics have been discussed on the board before. For example, having coed locker rooms or having someone who's MTF (in transition). I wouldn't be comfortable having a man in a locker room with me, not because I think he'd be attracted to me. It's not a rational concern but I'd still feel uncomfortable.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

    I am the new Black.

    "Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    juanab wrote: »
    Josephine wrote: »

    Yep I had a male coworkers tell me how it's different with guys and he wouldn't feel comfortable playing and being in a locker room with a gay athlete. Another one agreed and I'm not surprised.

    They really need to get over themselves. The automatic assumption is that a gay guy is going to be attracted to you? Perhaps their fear comes from not being secure about their own sexuality.
    Is that the reason? Maybe. But I don't necessarily think so. Similar topics have been discussed on the board before. For example, having coed locker rooms or having someone who's MTF (in transition). I wouldn't be comfortable having a man in a locker room with me, not because I think he'd be attracted to me. It's not a rational concern but I'd still feel uncomfortable.

    Not the same IMO. Gender change versus sexuality. A person changing their gender doesn't usually change who they are attracted to.

    texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder
    .


    event.png
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    juanab wrote: »
    juanab wrote: »

    They really need to get over themselves. The automatic assumption is that a gay guy is going to be attracted to you? Perhaps their fear comes from not being secure about their own sexuality.
    Is that the reason? Maybe. But I don't necessarily think so. Similar topics have been discussed on the board before. For example, having coed locker rooms or having someone who's MTF (in transition). I wouldn't be comfortable having a man in a locker room with me, not because I think he'd be attracted to me. It's not a rational concern but I'd still feel uncomfortable.

    Not the same IMO. Gender change versus sexuality. A person changing their gender doesn't usually change who they are attracted to.
    Coed locker rooms would be similar though.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

    I am the new Black.

    "Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    juanab wrote: »
    Is that the reason? Maybe. But I don't necessarily think so. Similar topics have been discussed on the board before. For example, having coed locker rooms or having someone who's MTF (in transition). I wouldn't be comfortable having a man in a locker room with me, not because I think he'd be attracted to me. It's not a rational concern but I'd still feel uncomfortable.

    Not the same IMO. Gender change versus sexuality. A person changing their gender doesn't usually change who they are attracted to.
    Coed locker rooms would be similar though.

    Agreed.

    texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder
    .


    event.png
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    I dunno that I find it the same as a coed gym at all.

    This is a team. A group of people that depend on each other and are closer than what I would find in a gym.

    While I would feel uncomfortable with a random group of men and women, if I was part of a team and looked at them as such, I wouldn't be uncomfortable.

    In high school, I dressed very quickly in p.e. In colorguard, we walked around practically nekkid because we were a team and felt comfortable around each other.
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

    Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlymix%2F" class="Popup
    pw: curls

    Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users
    That's great. Good for him!

    There's been talk for a month or so about a small group of NFL players that is ready to come out very soon. Nike has already said the first "major" professional athlete to come out will be offered a multi-million dollar endorsement deal. There were other companies that said they look forward to working with gay athletes. By major, they meant starting player. To be honest with you, I'm not sure if Jason Collins qualifies or not. I've been boycotting the NBA since our Sonics were taken from us.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

    Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    Also, I'm completely touched by the fact that he has been playing the No. 98 jersey in support of Matthew Shepard and the Trevor Project.
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

    Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlymix%2F" class="Popup
    pw: curls

    Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Josephine wrote: »
    FIRST pro athlete? Really???

    I think that shocked me more then anything!

    Good for him and I hope this means others will feel comfortable enough to come out.

    I'm assuming Canadian males are different? It's a big deal here.

    I don't think this would be a big deal to the average Canadian male, especially in the 18-40 year old range. But maybe I'm wrong.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users
    The articles I've read on this topic have almost unanimously said the fear of coming out by pro athletes isn't so much because they're afraid of what their teammates will say. It has more to do with what the public will say. Their fear is that the public will ridicule them and fans will mock them at games.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

    Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • yossarianyossarian Posts: 967Registered Users
    mrspoppers wrote: »
    The articles I've read on this topic have almost unanimously said the fear of coming out by pro athletes isn't so much because they're afraid of what their teammates will say. It has more to do with what the public will say. Their fear is that the public will ridicule them and fans will mock them at games.

    I heard Charles Barkley say something to that effect. He has long stated that “every player has played with gay guys,” and "I’d rather have a gay guy who can play than a straight guy who can’t play.” The problem is the crowd reaction. That's why it's important that active players come out: the support of their own teammates makes it difficult for people to criticize and taunt them. The turning point in the acceptance of black athletes was Pee Wee Reese's famous gesture of putting his arm around Jackie Robinson. Kobe Bryant's tweet expressing support for Collins could have that same influence.

    IMHO, it's a lot like gay soldiers. As anyone who has ever served in the military knows, gay men and women have always been in uniform, but have been forced to conceal their sexual orientation. As long as they can perform their duties, why should anyone care? Given the widespread problem of sexual assault of female soldiers by their male colleagues, gays should be the least of the military's concerns.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
    2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
    Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
    Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
    Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
    PT: BASK Whiskey Soak
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,771Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Josephine wrote: »

    I think that shocked me more then anything!

    Good for him and I hope this means others will feel comfortable enough to come out.

    I'm assuming Canadian males are different? It's a big deal here.

    I don't think this would be a big deal to the average Canadian male, especially in the 18-40 year old range. But maybe I'm wrong.

    I was watching a Canadian morning show today (BT) and the hosts were talking about this. After the story was read, one of them said "Really? The first? Seems so weird that we're actually talking about this!"

    The same sentiment has been all over the comments sections on the few local radio stations I have on Facebook. I'm sure there are negative comments out there, but I haven't seen any. Just seems to be such a non issue here.

    I go to quite a few hockey games and can't imagine the crowd saying anything about a player being gay. I feel the rest of the crowd would go after the person for it!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • yossarianyossarian Posts: 967Registered Users
    Josephine wrote: »

    I'm assuming Canadian males are different? It's a big deal here.

    I don't think this would be a big deal to the average Canadian male, especially in the 18-40 year old range. But maybe I'm wrong.

    I was watching a Canadian morning show today (BT) and the hosts were talking about this. After the story was read, one of them said "Really? The first? Seems so weird that we're actually talking about this!"

    The same sentiment has been all over the comments sections on the few local radio stations I have on Facebook. I'm sure there are negative comments out there, but I haven't seen any. Just seems to be such a non issue here.

    I go to quite a few hockey games and can't imagine the crowd saying anything about a player being gay. I feel the rest of the crowd would go after the person for it!

    I'm also a big hockey fan, and I've been very impressed at the efforts the NHL has made to support gay players. Brian Burke was a huge part of this, since he is universally respected and nobody was going to question his masculinity. (For those who don't follow the sport (probably most of you), Burke is a longtime hockey executive.) His son Brendan came out as gay, but died shortly thereafter in a car accident. His other son Patrick started a campaign called You Can Play in his honor, and it has really taken off.

    I was really pleased to see my team (Islanders) kick in $10,000 of their own money for the program.

    But I wouldn't be so sure about the fans. Wayne Simmonds has endured quite a few racial taunts from opposing crowds, so I wouldn't put it past anyone to use sexual orientation against a player.

    ETA: It's kind of surprising that there's still a problem with homophobia in Canada, given your country's well-deserved reputation for tolerance. I recently learned that before he came to the Brooklyn Dodgers, Jackie Robinson spent a season in Montreal, where he was treated very well. If race was not an issue for Canadians in 1946, I'm surprised homosexuality would be in 2013.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
    2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
    Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
    Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
    Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
    PT: BASK Whiskey Soak
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    juanab wrote: »
    Josephine wrote: »

    Yep I had a male coworkers tell me how it's different with guys and he wouldn't feel comfortable playing and being in a locker room with a gay athlete. Another one agreed and I'm not surprised.

    They really need to get over themselves. The automatic assumption is that a gay guy is going to be attracted to you? Perhaps their fear comes from not being secure about their own sexuality.
    Is that the reason? Maybe. But I don't necessarily think so. Similar topics have been discussed on the board before. For example, having coed locker rooms or having someone who's MTF (in transition). I wouldn't be comfortable having a man in a locker room with me, not because I think he'd be attracted to me. It's not a rational concern but I'd still feel uncomfortable.

    Yes, he told me it would be the same as if a guy would be in the locker room with me. I told him that's totally different. But he also thought I'd be uncomfortable with a lesbian woman in the locker(because I would be worried that she's checking me out). I said no, and then he said, well women are different anyways and wouldnt think that of another woman which I disagree with. I just don't care. A lot of guys are insecure. This guy is very conservative and has other backwards views so I'm not suprised by this.
  • yossarianyossarian Posts: 967Registered Users
    Josephine wrote: »
    But he also thought I'd be uncomfortable with a lesbian woman in the locker(because I would be worried that she's checking me out). I said no, and then he said, well women are different anyways and wouldnt think that of another woman which I disagree with. I just don't care. A lot of guys are insecure. This guy is very conservative and has other backwards views so I'm not suprised by this.

    In fairness, unlike men, our bodies don't have a public broadcasting system that reveals we're attracted to someone ... :)

    I agree that homophobes usually have other prejudices to go along with anti-gay attitudes. Haters gonna hate.

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlTalk App
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
    2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
    Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
    Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
    Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
    PT: BASK Whiskey Soak
  • NarniaNarnia Posts: 1,770Registered Users
    It was on the news this morning that another player (name escapes me..) tweeted something to the effect of "wow, so many beautiful women out there and men still want men. SMH"
    Whaaaat. *sideeye*
    "Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users
    Josephine wrote: »
    juanab wrote: »

    They really need to get over themselves. The automatic assumption is that a gay guy is going to be attracted to you? Perhaps their fear comes from not being secure about their own sexuality.
    Is that the reason? Maybe. But I don't necessarily think so. Similar topics have been discussed on the board before. For example, having coed locker rooms or having someone who's MTF (in transition). I wouldn't be comfortable having a man in a locker room with me, not because I think he'd be attracted to me. It's not a rational concern but I'd still feel uncomfortable.

    Yes, he told me it would be the same as if a guy would be in the locker room with me. I told him that's totally different. But he also thought I'd be uncomfortable with a lesbian woman in the locker(because I would be worried that she's checking me out). I said no, and then he said, well women are different anyways and wouldnt think that of another woman which I disagree with. I just don't care. A lot of guys are insecure. This guy is very conservative and has other backwards views so I'm not suprised by this.
    I wonder if he realizes he has most likely already been naked in numerous locker rooms with gay men. :lol
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

    Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • yossarianyossarian Posts: 967Registered Users
    Narnia wrote: »
    It was on the news this morning that another player (name escapes me..) tweeted something to the effect of "wow, so many beautiful women out there and men still want men. SMH"
    Whaaaat. *sideeye*

    Yeah, that was Mike Wallace, but his team (Miami Dolphins) immediately released a statement reprimanding him. I think this is the key difference in pro sports over the past few years - the commissioners, owners and managers have taken a definitive stand against racism and homophobia. When Kobe Bryant called a referee a "***got" for a call against him, the NBA fined him $100,000. A lot of teams have participated in the "It Gets Better" campaign against bullying of LGBT kids.

    So at least now the powers that be have let it be known that this kind of comment is unacceptable & has consequences.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
    2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
    Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
    Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
    Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
    PT: BASK Whiskey Soak