Thinking of going straight for a while

HeatherNicoleHeatherNicole Registered Users Posts: 1,316
Hey ya'll,
this post makes me sad to say, but my hair is probably in the worse condition it's been in since I've been natural. Last semester's stress really got me picking in my hair something terrible, and I pick at it all the time when it's curly. I had to cut about 2 inches off in some places to get rid of the damage and I still have some damage and knots left. I don't do this when my hair is straight. I dunno, I'm seriously thinking of just cutting it and just wearing it straight, taking extra good care of it, and just waiting for it to grow out again. I wish I didn't have to result to this, but I know me and as soon as I start getting stressed out I'm going to start picking at it again. :(
Thick coarse 3c/4a prone to dryness.
Staples
Aphogee 2 Step treatment
Generic Biolage Conditioning Balm
Tigi MM Conditioner
Creme of Nature Shampoo for dry hair
KCCC
Denman D3
Giovanni Direct Leave-in
SheaMoisture Leave-in
http://public.fotki.com/MsHeatherNicole/

"Make it work!"- Tim Gunn

Comments

• DocDoc Registered Users Posts: 367
    Aw HeatherNicole I'm so sorry to hear this :cry:
    My hair's been "going through" of late too.
    Have you considered gelling it and wearing it in a ponytail until it recovers.
    what I've been doing for the past several months is washing and deep conditioning weekly and then putting it in medium twists and putting the twists in a ponytail and tucking the ends into a bun with bobbypins; it's not glamorous, but it's protecting the hair until it comes around.
    Keep us posted on what you finally decide to do
    Dense kinky-curly; healthy and growing strong!
  • foxycus02foxycus02 Registered Users Posts: 918
    U sure u want to? You have BEAUTIFUL HAIR!!! huge stress on beautiful and trust me the last time i resorted to that it was the longest regret of my life. Im natural for the second time. The first time I went natural I got frustrated with the shrinkage, ended up getting a texturizer, and lived with the pain and regret for 1yr and a half. I was soo mad at myself.
    I think that you should take this time to find other ways to relieve stress. Stress is something that you should control and not let it control you. Everyone has different methods but I know when I was in school one of my favorite things to do to relieve stress is get in my car and drive in circles and just blast the music and sing a long. It relieved my stress because I was in my own lil world for a sec worry free. I think we all need a moment everyday to ourselves, just to keep us sane.
    What is picking anyway?

rockin' to the tune of her own beat...

comic-p.jpg
  • HeatherNicoleHeatherNicole Registered Users Posts: 1,316
    Thanks for the compliments and concerns, and I'd never leave NC this place has really taught me everything and I've made a couple friends. So you can rest assured knowing I'd still come in and say hi. When I say straight though, I mean just flat ironing my hair once a week. I haven't had a perm in 10 years and I'd shoot myself before let someone put any chemicals in my hair lol. I dunno. We'll see, when summer rolls around and it gets hot I'll definitely come back to "natural natural".
    Thick coarse 3c/4a prone to dryness.
    Staples
    Aphogee 2 Step treatment
    Generic Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Tigi MM Conditioner
    Creme of Nature Shampoo for dry hair
    KCCC
    Denman D3
    Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    SheaMoisture Leave-in
    http://public.fotki.com/MsHeatherNicole/

"Make it work!"- Tim Gunn
  • foxycus02foxycus02 Registered Users Posts: 918
    Ohh tool straight ok thats fine...Always great to have versatility. But Yea the summer will be a true test. The humidity last summer drove me nuts, while I was transitioning with straight styles.

rockin' to the tune of her own beat...

comic-p.jpg
  • PortaePortae Registered Users Posts: 337
    When my hair was longer and I was going through rough stages, I would twist it up. I think the principle is the same as your idea of wearing it straight, but twists are better for your hair's health. Also, I liked the idea of still having a style with some "flava."

Basically, I would wash and condition once a week and then twist my hair up. I either did my twists on damp hair or would blow my hair out (though not straight) first with a blowdryer set on warm and a comb attachment. I made sure to use a product like pure shea butter or Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter and would then go to work making small twists that would last throughout the week. I also discovered a great gadget by Conair that made the twisting process much faster. During the week, if the twists got at all fuzzy, I would just lightly spritz them with water or leave them exposed to the steam of the shower and then smooth a small amount of shea butter over them.
    ~Break the Chains of Your Mind and Your Body will Follow~

3b/3c/4a
    http://public.fotki.com/Portae99/
    http://photos.yahoo.com/Portae_99
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
    portae i've seen the conair twist thingy....it works? any complaints with it?
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • PortaePortae Registered Users Posts: 337
    Nope, no complaints. It's actually cool because it single twists each individual section of hair before twisting the two of them together. Doing this gives a very tight, rope-like twist. If you go into my yahoo folder, you'll find a photo of my hair twisted with the conair gadget.
    ~Break the Chains of Your Mind and Your Body will Follow~

3b/3c/4a
    http://public.fotki.com/Portae99/
    http://photos.yahoo.com/Portae_99
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
    wow portae...i like your hair. can you twist wet or dry? do you think it would work on shorter (about 3 in) 4 a/b hair? i see one for $15. it would be worth it if it works.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file