CurlTalk

Acne scarring

BeautyisMireeBeautyisMiree Posts: 202Registered Users
My skin rarely gets pimples

Comments

• BeautyisMireeBeautyisMiree Posts: 202Registered Users
    My skin rarely gets pimples

My skin rarely gets pimples and when it does it leaves scars. My scars aren't that bad since they are going away, but last month I slacked on my skin care routine. So my scars came back a little darker then usual. This week I've been exfoliating my cheeks like crazy so now my scars are faded better than before. Are there any tips you have that to get rid of acne scarring and how to prevent it.

I've been eating healthy so my skin has improved by a lot.
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,654Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    In my experience, AHA (alpha hydroxy acid) products or rosehip oil have helped to lighten my ace scars over several months. I've used Alpha Hydrox, MD Forte, and Alpha Glycolix products (not at the same time) with good results.

The rosehip oil I'm currently using is Pai brand and I like it so far.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • YoshimiYoshimi Posts: 237Registered Users
    I used bio oil nightly when I was in my early 20s, not only did it help improve my scarring (to the point where you can't tell I even had severe acne) but it also helped to reduce the number of new pimples I got.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using CurlTalk App
    2C, Medium thickness, Low posity
    Recovering from a year of keratin and bleach with CG

Routine

Low Poo, Condition, Leave in, Curl cream, Supersoak, Gel, Diffuse on high heat, with minimal lift to encourage waves and reduce frizz, Dry on cool with nozzle down to smooth hair and finish drying,Shine Serum

Weekly gelatin protien treatments.
    Yoshimi wrote: »
    I used bio oil nightly when I was in my early 20s, not only did it help improve my scarring (to the point where you can't tell I even had severe acne) but it also helped to reduce the number of new pimples I got.

I've heard about bio oil, is it pricey?
  • DepressedCurlsDepressedCurls Posts: 836Registered Users
    About $10 for a 2 ounce bottle that lasts FOREVER.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlTalk App
    Where do they sell it?
  • YoshimiYoshimi Posts: 237Registered Users
    You can get it in pretty much any drugstore, its usually where the cocoa butter and burts bees things are.

2C, Medium thickness, Low posity
    Recovering from a year of keratin and bleach with CG

Routine

Low Poo, Condition, Leave in, Curl cream, Supersoak, Gel, Diffuse on high heat, with minimal lift to encourage waves and reduce frizz, Dry on cool with nozzle down to smooth hair and finish drying,Shine Serum

Weekly gelatin protien treatments.
    Thanks!
  • Wild_n_Curly21Wild_n_Curly21 Posts: 31Registered Users
    Where do you buy this aloe gel ?
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    Where do you buy this aloe gel ?

You can find fresh aloe vera gel or liquid in health food stores. It's meant for drinking, but I use it on my skin. The stuff in the drug store that is meant for sunburn is full of preservatives, and often doesn't contain much real aloe at all. I find fresh aloe to be a great makeup primer.

You could also go crazy and grow an aloe vera plant and get it fresh from the source.
  • mswhimsymswhimsy Posts: 45Registered Users
    I find honey to be helpful for this. It is also a good cleanser and helps me maintain an ideal moisture balance in my face. The only things I use to clean my face anymore are pure honey and witch hazel. I like Thayer's Original Witch Hazel Astringent, which also contains a lot of aloe.

I have also found that the Urban Decay Naked line is one of very few that doesn't cause my EXTREMELY TEMPERAMENTAL skin to break out, and it seems to have helped drastically reduce the pock-marks that I had as part of my own scarring.
    Medium texture, Normal porosity, medium density, textures run the gamut from 2a-3c. Artificially red.

Currently fiddling with:
    debatably-poo: DCNP, Tressa Watercolors (Crimson Splash)
    cw&c: DevaCare, Heaven in Hair, Ouidad Climate Control
    leave-in: Lush R&B Hair Moisturizer, some of above, EVCO
    product: DC FFVF, DC AnGel, DCCC, OCC, JCCC, JCRR, 3SCG

I'm a terrible product junkie but I don't buy or use anything that's tested on animals. :hippy2:
  • kbenoitkbenoit Posts: 17Registered Users
    I have horrible acne scars all over my face. Its funny because during my teenage years my face was clear. In fact it was clear until just a year ago before i all of a sudden started getting horrible acne and it left tons of scars (im 20 by the way so it's weird that it happened now i think).

Heres some pics of the damage
    uploadfromtaptalk1370461761568.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370461798637.jpg

This week i started using hydroquinone 2% on my spots only
    uploadfromtaptalk1370461861967.jpg

And glycolic acid cream on my whole face
    uploadfromtaptalk1370461921377.jpg

After much research and reviews i decided to use these products even though i know the risk of the HQ. Its supposed to be okay if you use as directed. Anyway, after about four days i noticed the dark spots on my left cheek look lighter : ) i will continue using but will not use for over 3 months. Hopefully i can get rid of these scars. So it may work for you just do your research.

Sent from my HTC One using CurlTalk App
  • AntoniaAntonia Posts: 68Registered Users
    You are using sunscreen right?

kbenoit wrote: »
    I have horrible acne scars all over my face. Its funny because during my teenage years my face was clear. In fact it was clear until just a year ago before i all of a sudden started getting horrible acne and it left tons of scars (im 20 by the way so it's weird that it happened now i think).

After much research and reviews i decided to use these products even though i know the risk of the HQ. Its supposed to be okay if you use as directed. Anyway, after about four days i noticed the dark spots on my left cheek look lighter : ) i will continue using but will not use for over 3 months. Hopefully i can get rid of these scars. So it may work for you just do your research.

Oh yea i forgot that part, i made sure to buy some before i even put it on my face. Actually i had to go buy another one today bc the first one i bought made me look like a ghost. It was the neutrogena face shield spf 110. This time i bought a walgreens brand spf 90 and it blends in better.

here are the pics

uploadfromtaptalk1370472805563.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1370472826650.jpg

So yea if anyone is as dark as me you might not wanna try the first one if your looking for a sunscreen

It doesn't look to me like you have true scars. It looks like you are in an active acne infection, with lesions at various stages of eruption and healing. It can take about 6-12 months for full healing of old lesions, but, unfortunately, if you're still actively breaking out, you will have new lesions in the healing phase, so it seems like the lesions never fully heal and are therefore scars. They are not. The trick is to cure the acne and the dark marks (called post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation) will heal on their own.

That hydraquinone product won't really doing anything. It's non-prescription strength and is really just a glorified moisturizer, and, depending on it's ingredients, may actually clog your pores and contribute to more breakouts. Same with the glycolic cream...acids don't work very well in moisturizing bases, because the acid is too buffered to be acidic.

I would suggest you see a dermatologist to clear up your active acne and you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well the old lesions heal.
    I truly hope so because ive never had dark spots like this so im really motivated to make them go away. Unfortunately i cannot afford a derm so i will have to work the acne out myself. For a cleanser im using the mary kay velocity and i also have their acne medication set too. Thanks for the advice : )

I truly hope so because ive never had dark spots like this so im really motivated to make them go away. Unfortunately i cannot afford a derm so i will have to work the acne out myself. For a cleanser im using the mary kay velocity and i also have their acne medication set too. Thanks for the advice : )

If you can't afford medical care, then please at least use effective products for acne. A low-level benzoyl peroxide used daily all over the face as a preventive can work very well. Acne.org carries a great version of 2.5% BP at an affordable price. They also have a good cleanser that isn't damaging and an effective non-acne-causing moisturizer, all in large sizes at good prices. They carry a good-quality AHA too, if acids are your thing. Read the whole acne.org site. Good info there.

I'd keep away from Mary Kay cleansers, and please dump those hydrocortizone and glycolic acid products you pictured above...they won't do you any good at all, and will probably just cause more acne.
  • curly_sheepcurly_sheep Posts: 1Registered Users
    My acne doesn't scar but it kind of shrinks but the redness is still there. :)
    Well the mary kay that i have is 2.5 benzoyl peroxide. I will keep using the products i have though just to see for myself if they work. I dont plan on going longer than 3 months though

A few things:

I am also trying to get rid of dark marks. I ordered some Dr.Dennis Gross products from Sephora. The extra strength Alpha beta peel and the retinol serum.

I have had success years ago with Retin A. Products that contain, glycolic acid and sulphur are also good with treating/calming acne. And retinol is supposed to help you exfoliate, get rid of the dead skin and reveal new brighter skin.

I used the retin A years ago and used it too frequently and had major peeling. But it did work. I bought it from Antiaging Systems. I will use it again in the far future.

The products I ordered should arrive soon. I also bought a new spf moisturizer from vitacost but am currenlty using the pink bottle spf30 from Alba botanica.

That brings me to this. I do not think you need to use an spf that is so high. Our skin already has protection. I think 30 40 or even 50 is enough. And depending on where you live more than that may be too much (in my opinion). I live in the north east and we don't get much sun and summer is such a short season.

And I read a study that explained that this is why darker complected individuals in the north east have extremely low vitamin d levels. And vitamin d is important for sooo many bodily functions especially the joints.

Well the mary kay that i have is 2.5 benzoyl peroxide. I will keep using the products i have though just to see for myself if they work. I dont plan on going longer than 3 months though

yea i guess i got paranoid bc i thought the higher the better! Lol. I live in Texas where it gets so hot i can feel my skin burning as if im in an oven. Ive never really worn sunscreen before the only reason why i started is because thats what i heard from researching how to use those products. I didnt even know skin had a certain amount of suncreen depending on how dark you are. I also didnt know that that number means thats how long you can go before getting a sunburn. So you're right especially since im never in the sun for long periods of time anyway.

Yay! My products arrived today. I hope they work. I took pictures so that I'll have evidence that they've worked. lol.
    Yea im taking pictures for myself also to see if i notice a difference. If i dont then i will discontinue use and try something else.

Update: I bought African black soap and tea tree oil a month ago and my scars have lighten. I'm not looking for a dramatic lightening cream since those can be damaging.
    Update: I bought African black soap and tea tree oil a month ago and my scars have lighten. I'm not looking for a dramatic lightening cream since those can be damaging.
    Oh good you found something that work for you, i have some tea tree oil and ive heard about african black soap but not for hyperpigmentation though so cool

I have tried a super awesome trick!! I was told to buy a super light scrub and every night to massage my face with my fingers and palms well all over for 5 minutes and focusing on the real problem areas! It's working great so far and the scars are breaking up and diminishing ALOT!!! I'm so happy !!!
    I have tried a super awesome trick!! I was told to buy a super light scrub and every night to massage my face with my fingers and palms well all over for 5 minutes and focusing on the real problem areas! It's working great so far and the scars are breaking up and diminishing ALOT!!! I'm so happy !!!

Try tea tree oil with it, my scars looked as if they would never go away and they are practically matching my skin color now I'm so happy.
    For some reason though, whenever I get a pimple. It forms this skin over it and then scars.

I don't know why it does that but it happens every time.

Try tea tree oil with it, my scars looked as if they would never go away and they are practically matching my skin color now I'm so happy.

Where do you get this specific oil ?