Ear infections, tubes, blah blah

DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Have any of your babies had tubes put in? Xander is sick (AGAIN!) and I think it's his ears. My thermometer is kind of defective but it measured as high as 104.4. My husband is taking him in this morning but I already talked to the doc and he agrees that it's probably an ear infection. After the last one, he said that he would recommend tubes if we got anymore. I don't know much about tubes but I am on the fence about them from what little I have read. Can you all share your experiences?

Here's some mommy guilt for you. He never was sick when he stayed home with me and got all breastmilk. :(
image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel

Comments

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Sorry to hear about Xs ears...here's hoping he gets relief soon...
    Here is a really good article...
    http://health.yahoo.com/news/37181
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    Sorry, I can't help, but we are going through this with my stepdaughter. The next ear infection will probably result in tubes.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    I hope he feels better soon too. You've mentioned frequent ear infections, has he been on antibiotics for a while now? Does he eat a lot of dairy or peatut butter? Also, does he get frequent congestion problems?

Since you're on the fence about the tubes (I would be too) how about fortifying his immune system and trying something different than the antibiotics this time around if is an infection. I've been reading that antibiotics are about as effective as letting the ear infection be cleared out by the body. Your doc likely won't agree with that or will be less than pleased but remember the decision is up to you as the parent. There's stuff you can do to ease his discomfort right now that doesn't involve the antibiotics so it's not like I'm recommending you let him tough it out .

Let go of that mommy guilt. Even my EBF go through period after they start solids where their immune system is just a bit more susceptibel. I just start to fortify their immune system a bit more and realize that the minor stuff will build it up as well.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    WileE, thanks for the link. There was some new info there for me.

Munchy, I hope it all goes smoothly for your SD.

Marielle, I'm not sure what qualifies as a lot of dairy. He has organic cows milk 3 or 4 times a day. He loves yogurt but he eats it in spurts. Like everyday for two weeks and then none at all for two weeks. We have been worried about his weight gain so I will let him eat whatever he wants as long as he is eating, you know? No peanut butter other than the occasional small amount in his fruit bars.

He does not have frequent congestion. He is only congested when he has an ear infection. We have not done a long term course of antibiotics. Only give them when he has an infection but he has had at least one that we did not treat with anything other than Hylands (or Humphreys) ear infection tablets. I saw no real difference in the course of the illness.

His doctor is pretty great about working with me with alternative methods of treating X. He makes fun of me a little (he's a friend as well as our doctor) but he agrees that most of what I try seems to work. I lured him over to trying new treatments for excema beyond the standard doctor stuff. Do you have any recommendations for boosting his immune system? I used to do an immune booster by Wish Garden Herbs daily for X but am embarrassed to say that somehow I have forgotten all about it in the last few weeks.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
    for dairy it's a cumulative thing (which includes hidden diary in prepared foods, baked goods, etc. )

I was asking about that and the peanut butter because I was reading that those two factors (as well as increased juice consumption) can increase the risk for ear infections to happen. Also, during an ear infection give him warming foods and drinks (or if not at least lukewarm/room temp beverages). Not sure if he takes a probiotic but it would be good to give him a daily one to fortify his immune system (but it will take a good 2-3 weeks for you to see any benefits).

I think a while back you mentioned considering the garlic mullein oil, so if you have that on hand applied warm with a warming pack can really help ease his pain. I'm glad to hear your doc is open to alternative treatments. I recently found a pediatrician that also uses alternative/natural meds in conjuction with allopathic medicine. You mentioned not seeing a difference between treating the infection with the antibiotics and the natural stuff and that's exactly what I meant with my previous post. That there's no difference except for the antibiotic's effect on the child's body and the risk them losing effectiveness.

Don't mean to sound preachy though. This is a just a recent passion for me and I'm ingesting tons of info right now.

eta: you mentioned his weight being an issue. Perhaps this might help? My friend gives it to her super picky toddler in a morning smoothie:

http://www.betterforbabies.com/vitamineralgreen.html

She says it tints the smoothie green but doesn't affect the taste at all. It has a bunch of dark greens, nopalito and nutrients.
    Marielle, you aren't preachy at all. A lot of what you say is building on what I already know and want to know more about.

The dairy thing really concerns me. I have read multiple places about how it can be a large problem for the little people. I just don't know how to cut it out and I am hesitant to do so until we get his weight issues figured out. Actually, they might be addressed today though. I will try some smoothies with that green stuff.

We don't do probiotics but I think I will pick some up on my way home.

Yup, I have read the same about the lack of effectiveness for antibiotics and ear infections. I never did pick up the garlic mullein oil. I picked up some other oil that reeks that seems to help his ears.

As always, thank you very much. I forgot to tell you but I picked up the Naturally Healthy Babies book on your recommendation a few months back. It has already proven to be invaluable.

• picklesgirlpicklesgirl Posts: 1,955Registered Users
    I know tubes sound really scary but from what I've seen they're not that big of a deal. I haven't had to have them put in my son's ears but if it came to that I would do it. I've seen a lot of kids with tubes in their ears and they all did so well with them. I'm not trying to tell you that you have to do it like I said I've never been in your shoes but I've had lost of kids in my family and kids in preschool/daycare that have had tubes and I've seen it really help them. Good luck, and hopefully you won't have to do them but if you do he'll be fine and he'll most likely feel a lot better
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    Hubby had tubes as a kid.

Anna had repeated ear infections, until we started noticing a pattern. The ear infections, along with night terrors (sleep disorder), night sweats and stomach aches, all pointed to a food sensitivity. Once we realized that she was allergic to milk - the wham! Never had another problem. Is there any history of food sensitivities in the family?
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
    well hey then you've got an amazing tool in your hands with that book. If you do the green powder I read the ingredients list that is has a blend of probiotics already so you may not have to get a separate one.

My mom is even taking stuff that I've given her recipes for from that book (she's on a natural kick too LOL).
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    I only know of one child that got tubes put in and he was exclusively breastfed (on demand too), like my son. So put away that mommy guilt. It turns out this boy had some pretty extensive allergies.
    TRC, I'm allergic to milk as is my mom. Projectile vomiting was one of my symptoms. X isn't having that violent of a reaction but you could be right.

• picklesgirlpicklesgirl Posts: 1,955Registered Users
    DarkAngel wrote:
    TRC, I'm allergic to milk as is my mom. Projectile vomiting was one of my symptoms. X isn't having that violent of a reaction but you could be right.

Does he have really hard poop??? I worked with a kid at my first daycare who wouldn't poop for like a week or more at a time and then we he did it was really hard and huge well they couldn't figure out what was going on with him and finally took him to a different Dr. and put him on a no milk or dairy at all like not even the 9 listed in the ingrediants list. That solved that problem. Maybe that will end up being what's going on. I mean I hope not tubes are only in for a short while but that milk allergy would most likely last a life time.
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    It's so hard for me as a speech pathologist to know what I'd do if one of my kids had recurrent ear infections- I do think I'd rather do tubes than recurring courses of antibiotics. For the kids I have worked with, though, I'm all for the tubes- a kid with a speech delay doesn't need a head full of fluid all the time. Most studies that have been done at this point don't seem to suggest that chronic effusion causes speech delay, but anecdotally, I believe that it can exacerbate an existing one.

The food allergy connection is interesting to me, though. A number of the kids I've worked with who have had recurrent OM have also had milk allergies. I think it's hard for some parents to be vigilant about all the potential sources of dairy- there just isn't a ton of mainstream information.

DA, I worked with a little guy who had been born at 24 weeks and ended up with FTT- he had persistent feeding issues in addition to his other developmental delays. He also had a milk allergy- his ped prescribed some kind of formula when his mom stopped pumping, and as soy wasn't an issue for him, he transitioned to soy milk when he was 2. He's 4 now and growing really well, although he remains unable to tolerate dairy. I would talk to the ped about replacing the milk with something that proivides an equivalent amount of calories and fat.
  • miacurlmiacurl Posts: 332Registered Users
    Both my boys had tubes. DS 1 had them at age one. He had constant ear infections and was on and off antibiotics. Once he got the tubes---miracle. No more infections. No pain. No more antibiotics. He only needed them once. They fell out after a year or so. No problems at all after.

DS 2 had them as well. DS 2 was breast fed longer, kept out of daycare, etc. He has the most allergies and asthma....so don't pay attention to that mom guilt. His tubes were smaller and stayed in for a shorter time. He got them around age 19 or 20 months. It literally took about 10 minutes for the whole procedure. I was shocked. They were a dream. I did not realize how the fluid in his ears had affected his hearing and speech. He had to go to speech therapy from age 2 - 3 due to not hearing the important sounds in those early formative months. I remember DS 2 looking up at the sky when a plane flew over head after he had the tubes in. He had NEVER looked up when a plane flew overhead before. He was actually shocked at the plane in the air!! I never realized how much he had missed.

If your doc recommends them, go for it. :)
    2C/3A auburn hair.
    between shoulders and BSL
    Okay, it's officially the ears. I didn't get confirmation yesterday because my stoopid-head husband did not take him in to see the doc like I asked. His temp got over 105 some last night. It finally came back down to normal levels and then went back up again. The doctor came by our house to check on him and confirmed it. He is setting us up with the ENTs next week to at least talk about what to do.

I'm a little pissed at my husband. This kid does not really get sick unless it's his ears. Why in the hell would he not take him to the doc yesterday. He needs to go in for a weight check anyway so it would have been really easy to do all in one.

Thanks so much for your stories and info. It helps a lot.

• ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    you may also want to think about a wheat allergy, that is if X is eating wheat.

i had a wheat allergy as a child...grew out of it, but now it has returned many many many years later.

hopefully, you find out something soon...
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    wntrbloom wrote:
    you may also want to think about a wheat allergy, that is if X is eating wheat.

i had a wheat allergy as a child...grew out of it, but now it has returned many many many years later.

hopefully, you find out something soon...

Good idea - we have found that Anna has reactions to wheat (along with the milk).

Poor kid. :( (((((HUGS)))))
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    My nephew had chronic ear infections and got tubes. The tubes worked great for him. Interestingly enough, when he was 8 years old or so my stupid sister finally had him checked for allergies. (My mom had been telling her for 8 years that it was probably allergies.) Turns out, my nephew is allergic to all kinds of things, including cats and guinea pigs. Yes, they had both a cat and a GP. :roll:
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • Swirlycurly ChemistSwirlycurly Chemist Posts: 335Registered Users
    Aurora is having her first ear infection, and it is sort of sticking around (and is still getting about 99% of her nutrition from mama milk and stays home with me - so let go of your guilt, littlelady). I am either going to be eliminating dairy from my diet OR switching to raw milk first, to see which helps. I know this child is sensitive to dairy, but I hate to give it up entirely myself. I figure pumping 4 hours a day is enough of a sacrifice!

Anyway, the raw milk theory is that milk proteins are profoundly changed when heated to pasteurization temps, and that our bodies react these proteins as invaders, and some people (esp. babies) are more sensitive than others. (check out the weston a. price foundation site for all kinds of info).

Anyway, here is a link to an article I found helpful on the ear infections, with a bunch of suggestions ont hings to try. Hope Xander feels better soon.

http://www.healthy.net/scr/Article.asp?Id=1175&xcntr=4
    3A canopy with 3B underneath
    Low poo, not afraid of amine-based silicones or polyquats, silk proteins are good as well.
  • deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    add Liam to the sick brigade..... again!!!! He has got fluid in his ears again and his congestion is still quite bad.. so on Thursday we went back to the doctors again... This time I was determined to get a straight answer from someone...

When I called the receptionist said that my normal doctor didn't come in till the afternoon and did I want to see someone else.. I jumped at the chance to have a second opinion.. frankly I was tired of my doctor just giving me the albuterol and the antibiotic and telling me it would clear up... guess what doc it hasn't!! NOW FRIGGIN WHAT??

I saw the other doctor and he was so much better.. examined Liam from head to toe and listened to his chest a few times and then had me get him dressed and spent the next 10 min or so explaining my options and what we could do to help solve the problems he is having!!

He looked at his chart and kept flipping the pages where everytime I brought him in for cough everytime...

so this is what he is thinking it could be either the following

A. Allergies (asthma) which is funny since neither I or DH have
    B. Allergies (Formula) he gave me 3 sample cans of Similac® Alimentum® Hypoallergenic Formula instead of what I had him on... I will do anything for my son but I honestly hope this is not what the problem is because those cans are $25.00/can which is what I paid for a large can of my Nestle good start!! Obviously we will do what is needed but GEEZ!!

I said to the doctor that I wonder if I hadn't given up on breastfeeding so early this wouldn't of happened... he said no, that some babies are just pre-disposed to things like this...

C. Something physically wrong with his lungs - The doc seems to feel this isn't the case at all but has us scheduled for a serious of x-rays and a follow up with a Pediatric Pulmonologist on Wed..

I will keep all the other munchkins in my prayers and hope they (including my sweetie) get better soon!

HUGS

~deedles
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
    I don't have a real update on X at this point. We have an appointment scheduled in about two weeks to see if all of these infections have caused damage to his ears. If so, I will likely go ahead and get the tubes. For now, I am going to try a lot of these tips that you all recommended. For the mommies battling infections, try the garlic mullein oil. Marielle recommended it to me a while back and I realized a few weeks ago that I have been using it and not knowing. That stuff is magic.

Deedle, I hope Liam gets better soon and that you get a definitive answer. It sucks when they are sick.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file