Im trying to grow out my hair, but there's something SERIOUSLY wrong with it!

2»

Comments

• poemaXXpoemaXX Posts: 456Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    poemaXX wrote: »

Oh no! Just about all of my products contain coconut oil. Could you link the specific Tresseme Naturals conditioner you're talking about please? I would like to research it more. I hear a lot about it!

This is the Tresemme: Natural Nourishing Conditioner | TRESemmé

This is the Sally's: Generic Value Products - GVP Conditioning Balm: Compare to Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm

Yeah, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news re: coconut oil at the moment. I think coconut oil is great, but your hair needs a break – and you need a basic routine so that you can troubleshoot what might be going on. Maybe your hair is protein-sensitive, or maybe it's just over-proteined just right now but will love more protein later. Curly hair is such a journey! :compress:
    Yes especially if it's 4b-4c kinky-curly hair! Seems like I'm doing everything wrong! :P So would I use tresemme as a deep conditioner or a leave in? or both? And do you think jojoba oil would be a better alternative oil?

Tresemme is definitely suitable for leave-in and also works as a deep conditioner for some folks. I'm trying to think of something that would be even more moisturizing without protein, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment... Do a board search or post a new Q?

Jojoba oil would be nice. So would Sesame Oil or Sweet Almond Oil. Even Mineral Oil works well for some. It's worth it to experiment to see what works best for you and your hair.

Well, here's the thing: high-porosity hair is usually treated with a lot of protein to kinda spackle over the hills-and-valleys of the hair's cuticle and give it a smoother texture. However, being over-proteined can also make your hair feel rough and dry and like it's not accepting moisture. I think both are valid hypotheses, but we need to test them to see what her hair reacts best to in order to be sure.

She's already done a protein-heavy routine, so let's see if some moisture will balance things out.

Sealing with an oil (I'd avoid coconut for now) is probably a good idea, too.

PS. My hair was very porous when I started CG three years ago (!!), but my new growth since then is normal porosity (or maybe even lower, because I henna my hair and that spackles things over like a heavy duty protein treatment).

Yeah I'm going to try putting more moisture. All this time I thought I was putting moisture but instead I was putting protein. Any deep moisture conditioner recommendations? And so is like hair you hair high porous and half low porosity? Is it difficult to manage. Or did all you hair including new growth become low porous?

re: my hair
    When I started CG my hair (esp. the last 2-3 inches before the ends) was very porous. As my hair grew out with the gentler CG routine and the right balance of protein and moisture, it came along at it's healthiest porosity – which I think it "normal". Then I started henna treatments and that pushed my hair into the normal-to-low porosity range. I rarely use protein treatments since the henna takes care of any gaps in my hair's cuticle that needs to be spackled over – so I give my hair lots of moisture to keep it happy! :) The nice thing about my hair's current porosity is it doesn't frizz as much when exposed to humidity and as a result I don't need to use as much product to style it on a day-to-day basis.

HTH!
    || 3b; normal porosity; fine/normal texture || CG since Feb 2010 || SD/dandruff prone

Current Routine BAQ henna 1/month Leave-in OH Hair Dew Cheapie Conditioner Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing
    Old Stand-bys extra-virgin coconut oil Protein AO GPB; Moisture AO HR Style AOMMJ – Kept for troubleshooting.
    Waiting to try extra-wide curlformers SD treatment H&S Clinical Strength

• hambo02hambo02 Posts: 480Registered Users
    eh i wouldnt use tressame' naturals as a leave in. It has a drying alcohol in it. if you're trying to fix your hair i would just avoid the drying stuff in hair products
    hambo02 wrote: »
    eh i wouldnt use tressame' naturals as a leave in. It has a drying alcohol in it. if you're trying to fix your hair i would just avoid the drying stuff in hair products

I mention it because it seems to be a favorite among the folks on the conditioner-only styling thread.

D'you have any recs?
    || 3b; normal porosity; fine/normal texture || CG since Feb 2010 || SD/dandruff prone

Current Routine BAQ henna 1/month Leave-in OH Hair Dew Cheapie Conditioner Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing
    Old Stand-bys extra-virgin coconut oil Protein AO GPB; Moisture AO HR Style AOMMJ – Kept for troubleshooting.

• hambo02hambo02 Posts: 480Registered Users
    ummm what about sally's generic value maxtrix balm. its thick for condish styling and you dont need a ton to use. very moisterizing for my hair and my hair dries out to the smallest things. I cant use any gels. protein no protein, glycerin or no glycerin .
  • NewlyNaturalGNewlyNaturalG Posts: 50Registered Users
    Thank you all! The As I Am coconut cowash did not work well for me so I'm still on the lookout for good products for my uniquely unmanageable 4b-4c hair! I don't know if I wanna use the generic matrix balm because I here it has parabens. I also here tresseme nourishing conditioner has alcohol in it? I want to keep my products as natural as possible. It doesn't have to be STRICTLY natural. But you know, just not too bad. I still need a cowash, deep co, and leave in (so basically everything haha) and I think I'll use jojoba oil to seal (hopefully it doesn't smell bad though). I like how people can come to this thread, read my post, immediately know my hair story and try to help me. If I post a new thread people won't know exactly what I'm dealing with. In other news, my hair is definitely not as bad as when I first stopped using weaves. It's still a BIG hassle but at least when I rub my hair on the back of my hand I'm not afraid it'll bleed (exaggerated of course, but it was THAT bad just a week or so ago haha). Still looking for products to make my hair feel like cotton though! Thank you! If you would like to private message me you could do that as well!
    For more natural products, Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Conditioner is a great cowash; Giovanni Direct Leave-in is also well-liked. Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose (AOHR) and White Camelia (AOWC) conditioners are very moisturizing rinse-outs, but are too waxy feeling to leave in. AO Mandarin Magic Jelly is one of my all-time favorites. Shea Moisture is natural, but not my favorite -- can't think of any products without protein in their line.

Hope these recs help!

I would worry about the alcohol in Tresemme Naturals -- it's very emollient. Any drying effects are overwhelmed by the conditioning properties. Probably there for pH adjustment or ingredient stabilizer.

• rainboerainboe Posts: 284Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I really like Yes to Carrots as a regular conditioner and leave in. I also really like AOHR, and I have used it as a leave in successfully before. AOHR isn't a very good detangler for me though, but it's very moisturizing. Someone on your other thread mentioned mixing a little olive oil in your conditioner, and that might be a good idea. We also have a product review forum here, as well as information threads in the newbie section. So there's tons of handy information on the forums you can look at, or if your interested in a product you can go to the search bar, enter the name, and probably find some curl talk reviews.
    Fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity. Dyed to brown a few months ago.
    Lowpoo: Trader Joe's TTT Shampoo
    Rinse Out:
    Yes to Carrots, AOHR, Aubrey Organics Rosemary Peppermint
    LI: Yes to Carrots
    Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, LA Looks Sports, Suave Professionals Captivating Curls Whipped Mousse
    For more natural products, Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Conditioner is a great cowash; Giovanni Direct Leave-in is also well-liked. Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose (AOHR) and White Camelia (AOWC) conditioners are very moisturizing rinse-outs, but are too waxy feeling to leave in. AO Mandarin Magic Jelly is one of my all-time favorites. Shea Moisture is natural, but not my favorite -- can't think of any products without protein in their line.

Hope these recs help!

I would worry about the alcohol in Tresemme Naturals -- it's very emollient. Any drying effects are overwhelmed by the conditioning properties. Probably there for pH adjustment or ingredient stabilizer.
    rainboe wrote: »
    I really like Yes to Carrots as a regular conditioner and leave in. I also really like AOHR, and I have used it as a leave in successfully before. AOHR isn't a very good detangler for me though, but it's very moisturizing. Someone on your other thread mentioned mixing a little olive oil in your conditioner, and that might be a good idea. We also have a product review forum here, as well as information threads in the newbie section. So there's tons of handy information on the forums you can look at, or if your interested in a product you can go to the search bar, enter the name, and probably find some curl talk reviews.
    I think I'll try the Giovanni Direct leave in. I've heard about that. And I would like to do some of my own research on products but since everyone's hair situation is different from mine, they usually don't work. Once I find out how to upload pictures to this thing, I'll show just how my hair acts in water. I have a picture of my hair basically repelling the water and once I can solve that, I feel like my problems will be solved. I think I want to try the baking soda treatment again because if my hair is low porosity (which I think it is) the baking soda should open up my hair cuticles allowing water and moisture to get in.
    bump! still looking for a GREAT moisturizing deep conditioner!
  • etosetos Posts: 221Registered Users

curl junkie curl rehab <3
    highlighted 3a hair. Fine strands, medium to high density. Probably high porosity. Growing uit bad layering and aiming for waist lenght!

Pre-poo: coconut oil
    wash: CJ Daily fix or SheaMoisture Coconut&Hibiscus
    RO + LI: different every time
    Styler: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB

dislikes: glycerin in low dews, scissor happy stylists, magnesium sulfate

(modified) CG since june 25, 2012
    Hiarfinity + extra MSM since March 5., 2014

SL - APL - BSBL- BSL - MBL - WL (stretched)
    etos wrote: »

curl junkie curl rehab <3

I'll make sure top search it up! But in your post it also says you're experimenting with Biotin pills? How has that been going? I'm thinking of trying them out!
  • mermaidwavesmermaidwaves Posts: 41Registered Users
    I agree with Curl Junkie rehab-it's the best!!! It leaves my hair feeling like velvet but also shiny, strong and light unlike the AO conditioner I've tried.
    Just starting CG! 5-13

2A, fine, dense, high porosity, highlighted

low-poo: Leonor Greyl bain vitalisant b*
    co-wash: CJ smoothing*
    RO: ^, SS Caitlin's*
    DT: CJ rehab
    LI: CJ rehab
    stylers: CJ CCCC*
    oils: coconut

*experimenting
    HG

loves: aloe, oils, esp. coconut :love10:
    hates: acv, baking soda
    on the fence about polyquats
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I DON'T WANT TO GO TO A RELAXER FOR HELP AGAIN. But I don't know what else to do. So to start from the beginning, I wore weaves for about 2.5 years to grow it out. Once I was all natural I stopped. But my hair is so dry! I thought it was the weaves but my hair is literally irreversibly DRY. No matter what I do to it it's DRY. It rejects all product, I think even water! This is why I thought my hair was low porosity but when I run my fingers through a strand of hair, there is TONS of resistance! And it feels sort of squeaky, and DRY, and brittle and UGH. I put a strand into a glass of water and once I completely submerged the strand in water (using my finger) it sank. I tried the Aphogee Protein Treatment once, it didnt do anything of course (considering my hair rejects EVERYTHING.) I tried the DIY yogurt deep co, I tried the Egg/Mayo deep co, I tried drugstore/beauty supply deep co, I tried the roux porosity conditioner, i even tried the baking soda treatment and NOTHING WORKED. Why does my hair feels like this :( It should feel like cotton-so soft and luscious. But it just feels like straw! Even oils don't do a thing. Organic Olive Oil, Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, they dont do anything! I tried shea moisture anti-breakage deep co and curl enhancing smoothie and yet again, NO long term difference. My hair feels like crap and products like shea moisture conceal it for a few seconds and my hair is back to "normal." I deep co with a plastic cap and heat too! And I sleep with a satin bonnet! I've NEVER straightened my hair, so it cant be heat damage. I'm just about all natural (except a TINY bit on the ends) and like 21 months post relaxer. If my hair grew the way it should it should be about 10.5 inches long, but it's only about 6 inches long :( I'm really trying to grow my hair out, BUT I NEED TO GET IT HEALTHY FIRST. Any tips on how I do that? Thank you!

UPDATE: I have used the As I Am Coconut Cowash and deep conditioned with Coconut Oil and Honey (This was all I had that was moisturizing and not protein). And I sealed with Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smootie (There was still some coconut oil on my hair so I put the smoothie on top of that). My hair STILL had a LOT of resistance and had that plastic/squeaky feeling when I rubbed it! My hair dried really fast (or at least had that DRY feeling really fast) and I forget if that means I have High or Low Porosity. The Cowash detangled my hair but my Bentonite Clay Wash DEFINITELY defines and detangles much more! I'm going to continue with the Cowash once a week to see if anything changes and my moisture problem is solved. I still need a better deep conditioner and Leave-in though. Any more tips? Thank you!
    I'm protein sensitive and most of this stuff would make my hair dry and brittle too. Yogurt only goes in my stomach.
    People forget or dont realize there are 3 versions of TN . Volume, moisture and vibrantly smooth .. I have tried them all and only like moisture. They took the isopropyl out of moisture when they reformulated. I use it as a li no prob. Before the ingredient change I couldn't use it as li. For dc I add evoo and banana baby food and honey to it.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • rapunzel4everrapunzel4ever Posts: 557Registered Users
    Be careful with mineral oil! It could cause the plastic feel you're describing. As could -cones and too much protein! Keep moisturizing and be sure not to use anything that prevents the moisture to enter the cuticle. After moisturizing you could try to use an oil to seal the moisture in. Hope you get the cotton feel you're aiming for very soon!

_____
    2b-c/3a med/fine- low porosity- normal elasticity, BSL
    2B/C-3A) fine - low porosity
    Routine:
    Wash: Daily Fix,SMT, Kesham, Urtekram
    RO: Motions CPR Li, Inecto Cocos co, AO GPB, KCTT
    acv-rinse, sometimes honey-rinse
    LI: coconut oil (winter), CJBC-LI
    Styling: AVG, Etos Solid Power Gel, Taft gel, CJPP, JCCC, BRHG
    Plopping~Pixiecurl diffuse~clipping
    KrullenWijzer.blogspot.nl
  • Always@night[email protected] Posts: 566Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like Cantu Deep Treatment masque For a deep conditioner, as well as Crecé Pelo for a deep conditioner.
    Also I switched from coconut oil to olive oil and my hair loves it. I hope you are finding the products that work best for you.
    Be careful with mineral oil! It could cause the plastic feel you're describing. As could -cones and too much protein! Keep moisturizing and be sure not to use anything that prevents the moisture to enter the cuticle. After moisturizing you could try to use an oil to seal the moisture in. Hope you get the cotton feel you're aiming for very soon!

_____

Thank you for your well-wishes! However, is there did you see possible mineral oil in my regimen?
    I agree with Curl Junkie rehab-it's the best!!! It leaves my hair feeling like velvet but also shiny, strong and light unlike the AO conditioner I've tried.

Thank you for the suggestion! However my hair is 4b-4c so I do not know if the CJR will work as well for me hmm...
    adthomas wrote: »
    I DON'T WANT TO GO TO A RELAXER FOR HELP AGAIN. But I don't know what else to do. So to start from the beginning, I wore weaves for about 2.5 years to grow it out. Once I was all natural I stopped. But my hair is so dry! I thought it was the weaves but my hair is literally irreversibly DRY. No matter what I do to it it's DRY. It rejects all product, I think even water! This is why I thought my hair was low porosity but when I run my fingers through a strand of hair, there is TONS of resistance! And it feels sort of squeaky, and DRY, and brittle and UGH. I put a strand into a glass of water and once I completely submerged the strand in water (using my finger) it sank. I tried the Aphogee Protein Treatment once, it didnt do anything of course (considering my hair rejects EVERYTHING.) I tried the DIY yogurt deep co, I tried the Egg/Mayo deep co, I tried drugstore/beauty supply deep co, I tried the roux porosity conditioner, i even tried the baking soda treatment and NOTHING WORKED. Why does my hair feels like this :( It should feel like cotton-so soft and luscious. But it just feels like straw! Even oils don't do a thing. Organic Olive Oil, Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, they dont do anything! I tried shea moisture anti-breakage deep co and curl enhancing smoothie and yet again, NO long term difference. My hair feels like crap and products like shea moisture conceal it for a few seconds and my hair is back to "normal." I deep co with a plastic cap and heat too! And I sleep with a satin bonnet! I've NEVER straightened my hair, so it cant be heat damage. I'm just about all natural (except a TINY bit on the ends) and like 21 months post relaxer. If my hair grew the way it should it should be about 10.5 inches long, but it's only about 6 inches long :( I'm really trying to grow my hair out, BUT I NEED TO GET IT HEALTHY FIRST. Any tips on how I do that? Thank you!

UPDATE: I have used the As I Am Coconut Cowash and deep conditioned with Coconut Oil and Honey (This was all I had that was moisturizing and not protein). And I sealed with Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smootie (There was still some coconut oil on my hair so I put the smoothie on top of that). My hair STILL had a LOT of resistance and had that plastic/squeaky feeling when I rubbed it! My hair dried really fast (or at least had that DRY feeling really fast) and I forget if that means I have High or Low Porosity. The Cowash detangled my hair but my Bentonite Clay Wash DEFINITELY defines and detangles much more! I'm going to continue with the Cowash once a week to see if anything changes and my moisture problem is solved. I still need a better deep conditioner and Leave-in though. Any more tips? Thank you!
    I'm protein sensitive and most of this stuff would make my hair dry and brittle too. Yogurt only goes in my stomach.
    People forget or dont realize there are 3 versions of TN . Volume, moisture and vibrantly smooth .. I have tried them all and only like moisture. They took the isopropyl out of moisture when they reformulated. I use it as a li no prob. Before the ingredient change I couldn't use it as li. For dc I add evoo and banana baby food and honey to it.
    Use it as a leave in? I don't know I wanted to try the Giovanni's Direct Leave In. For deep conditioner, I would hope to not have to add too much else to it and can work by itself pretty well.
    I like Cantu Deep Treatment masque For a deep conditioner, as well as Crecé Pelo for a deep conditioner.
    Also I switched from coconut oil to olive oil and my hair loves it. I hope you are finding the products that work best for you.

Yes I did notice Olive Oil has some useful slip.But the smell is not something I want on my hair! Maybe I should add Olive Oil to my deep conditioners rather than the coconut oil. Thanks!
  • rapunzel4everrapunzel4ever Posts: 557Registered Users
    Just put some olive oil in a smaller bottle and add a few drops of rose oil. A few drops of rose oil is enough to mask the scent of olive oil.

_____
    2B/C-3A) fine - low porosity
    Routine:
    Wash: Daily Fix,SMT, Kesham, Urtekram
    RO: Motions CPR Li, Inecto Cocos co, AO GPB, KCTT
    acv-rinse, sometimes honey-rinse
    LI: coconut oil (winter), CJBC-LI
    Styling: AVG, Etos Solid Power Gel, Taft gel, CJPP, JCCC, BRHG
    Plopping~Pixiecurl diffuse~clipping
    KrullenWijzer.blogspot.nl
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Yes I did notice Olive Oil has some useful slip.But the smell is not something I want on my hair! Maybe I should add Olive Oil to my deep conditioners rather than the coconut oil. Thanks!

Avocado oil or a refined olive oil instead of extra virgin. In the UK that would be called light olive oil and olive pomace oil, not sure what your US naming system is.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    Just put some olive oil in a smaller bottle and add a few drops of rose oil. A few drops of rose oil is enough to mask the scent of olive oil.

_____

Avocado oil or a refined olive oil instead of extra virgin. In the UK that would be called light olive oil and olive pomace oil, not sure what your US naming system is.
    Hmm okay thanks for the idea! And in the US I think it's just "light" olive oil or it simply says "olive oil" haha thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file