CurlTalk

looking for other 2a/2b/2c/3a for product ideas!!

I'm just looking for other 2a/2b/2c/3a's for product ideas!!

I'm having some clumping issues, my hair looks really stringy and my curls seem limp, I've been trying an array of products.
I'm gonna update my signature with all my products and uses.

I diffuse like crazy just to keep the curl. I want to enhance my curls and perhaps get them curlier!

I'll be posting pictures from my phone as well.
I'm just kind of lost with all the product possibilities etc.

FEELING SO OVERWHELMED RIGHT NOW!:goofy::sad11:
CG since: 2/9/2013
HAIR: 2a/b with nearly straight hair at neck, flat on top, low porosity, medium density, fine, medium length
Currently using:
Low Poo/No Poo: SM YB, Malibu C Hardwater Wellness (every other day)
Rinse Out: Malibu C Hardwater Wellness Conditioner
Leave In: SM Coconut Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk
Gel: Volumax (Sally's)
PT: gelatin!
DT: Curls Unleashed NR

Love diffusing.:p
Always learning!

Comments

• angelicakangelicak Posts: 127Registered Users
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1366771363.727929.jpg this was my best hair day like a week ago maybe 2
    HAIR: 2a/b with nearly straight hair at neck, flat on top, low porosity, medium density, fine, medium length
    Currently using:

Always learning!
  • rainboerainboe Posts: 284Registered Users
    You're hair's really pretty! Have you tried a deep treatment or protein treatment? For me, protein treatments usually fix limp hair. Also, when are you applying your products? Applying to soaking wet hair gives me bigger clumps. It might also be the weather change from spring to summer.
    Fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity. Dyed to brown a few months ago.
    Lowpoo: Trader Joe's TTT Shampoo
    Rinse Out:
    Yes to Carrots, AOHR, Aubrey Organics Rosemary Peppermint
    LI: Yes to Carrots
    Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, LA Looks Sports, Suave Professionals Captivating Curls Whipped Mousse
    rainboe wrote: »
    You're hair's really pretty! Have you tried a deep treatment or protein treatment? For me, protein treatments usually fix limp hair. Also, when are you applying your products? Applying to soaking wet hair gives me bigger clumps. It might also be the weather change from spring to summer.

Thank you!! Unfortunately my hair has looked nothing like that lately :( I apply products to wet hair and diffuse. I have not done a deep treatment or a protein treatment, dying to try one though! I heard of gelatin being a good one, idk how to do it but I'm hoping to do one this weeked
    Currently using:

Always learning!
  • rainboerainboe Posts: 284Registered Users
    angelicak wrote: »
    rainboe wrote: »

Thank you!! Unfortunately my hair has looked nothing like that lately :( I apply products to wet hair and diffuse. I have not done a deep treatment or a protein treatment, dying to try one though! I heard of gelatin being a good one, idk how to do it but I'm hoping to do one this weeked

You can go up to the search bar and look up the gelatin protein treatment. The thread was by AIgirl. I would look it up, but Im on ky phone right now. I use a packet of Knox gelatin mixed with really hot water (like 1/4 a cup), with a splash of vinegar and some AO GBP conditioner (you can use any conditioner). Then I let it sit on my head while I take a long shower. Some people find PTs drying, but others don't. Just don't be alarmed if your hair is a little dry.

I also have heard that glycerin can mess with some people when dew point rise up. I haven't personally had issues with that, but it could be worth cutting glycerin some. I feel like glycerin is one of those ingredients that's super hard to avoid though, so I would try other stuff first. ;)
    Fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity. Dyed to brown a few months ago.
    Lowpoo: Trader Joe's TTT Shampoo
    Rinse Out:
    Yes to Carrots, AOHR, Aubrey Organics Rosemary Peppermint
    LI: Yes to Carrots
    Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, LA Looks Sports, Suave Professionals Captivating Curls Whipped Mousse
  • chloe92uschloe92us Posts: 1,203Registered Users
    The gelatin recipe is on this website. You buy the gelatin in the baking aisle at the grocery store next to the Jello.

Pedaheh's Hair Blog: Science-y Hair Blog Recipes
    2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
    Cleanse: AIA cowash, TJ Tea Tree Condish
    Condish: JC Too Shea, Tresemme Botanique
    Stylers: flax/okra gel or KCCC + CJ PP or JC Spiralicious
    Experimenting with Got2B Ultra gel and loving it so far!
    chloe92us wrote: »
    The gelatin recipe is on this website. You buy the gelatin in the baking aisle at the grocery store next to the Jello.

Pedaheh's Hair Blog: Science-y Hair Blog Recipes

Thank you!! I can't wait to try it
    Currently using:

Always learning!
  • Cristy_amkCristy_amk Posts: 171Registered Users
    I'm a 2C. I use Curl Keeper on my wet hair. I also use Knot Today. I then plop for about 1/2 hour. I then take my hair down and apply Pantene Curl Mousse (it works better for me when my hair is only damp or when it's dry). I then apply some clips in the crown, blow out my bangs, and let my hair air dry. LOL I have a 1 hr drive to work so the vents help dry my hair! I sleep with my hair down at night (pineappling does not work for me! It only tangles my hair!) In the AM I spritz my hair lightly with water, apply a little more Pantene Mouse and Knot Today (if needed) and do am almost dry plop (I accordion my hair into the shirt and tie it up). I do my makeup and when I'm done I let my hair down. I get full bouncy curls doing this! One thing I notice is I CANNOT handle tons of products in my hair. I have very thick hair but it does not like an abundance of product. I can handle cones but again not in abundance. For me simple is best :)
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users
    Keep in mind if you do a PT you'll probably want to follow it with a DT. A cheap one is GVP conditioning balm found at Sally's. A lot of ladies use it as a rinse out as well.

I really like Curl Junkie products, especially the conditioners! Stylers are hit or miss. My favs are in my siggy.

I don't know all of your products, is there much protein in them?
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

Keep in mind if you do a PT you'll probably want to follow it with a DT. A cheap one is GVP conditioning balm found at Sally's. A lot of ladies use it as a rinse out as well.

I really like Curl Junkie products, especially the conditioners! Stylers are hit or miss. My favs are in my siggy.

I don't know all of your products, is there much protein in them?

Is there any other DT I can do that involve the products I already have? (Poor college student lol)
    I honestly have no idea what proteins if any are in my products.
    Currently using:

Always learning!
    Cristy_amk wrote: »
    I'm a 2C. I use Curl Keeper on my wet hair. I also use Knot Today. I then plop for about 1/2 hour. I then take my hair down and apply Pantene Curl Mousse (it works better for me when my hair is only damp or when it's dry). I then apply some clips in the crown, blow out my bangs, and let my hair air dry. LOL I have a 1 hr drive to work so the vents help dry my hair! I sleep with my hair down at night (pineappling does not work for me! It only tangles my hair!) In the AM I spritz my hair lightly with water, apply a little more Pantene Mouse and Knot Today (if needed) and do am almost dry plop (I accordion my hair into the shirt and tie it up). I do my makeup and when I'm done I let my hair down. I get full bouncy curls doing this! One thing I notice is I CANNOT handle tons of products in my hair. I have very thick hair but it does not like an abundance of product. I can handle cones but again not in abundance. For me simple is best :)

That's helpful thanks!
    Currently using:

Always learning!
  • KrisHousley13KrisHousley13 Posts: 50Registered Users
    Ever consider mousse? Herbal essences curl mousse seems to help me. Just started using it a few days ago in conjuction with gel
    2b/2c, Med density, Med Porosity, Fine/Med width, Med length, layers start below ears. Just my shot in the dark for my hair properties. Growing out bleached highlights Fall 2012, growing out dyed hair March 2013. Makes for a confusing mix of properties. Learning how different processes affect hair properties. Using lot of drugstore products right now. Determining what's right for my hair in my climate. Pittsburgh has a little bit of everything weather wise. Modified CGM since March 2013.
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,193Registered Users
    The best way to choose products is based on properties, not curl pattern. Properties include things like texture, porosity, and density. Livecurlylivefree.com has lots of great info for determining your hair properties (and also offers a hair analysis service if you're still unsure), as well as general info about ingredients to look for/avoid based on properties. There is also a thread buried somewhere in the 2s forum called "Share Your Hair Biography." It's a great reference for searching out other people with the same properties and seeing what works and doesn't work for them. Again, curl pattern really doesn't play into this. I have 3a curls, but my hair twin has 2b waves. We have nearly identical properties and get almost identical results from the same products. If one of us raves about something, it's pretty much guaranteed that the other will love it also.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    Corrina777 wrote: »
    The best way to choose products is based on properties, not curl pattern. Properties include things like texture, porosity, and density. Livecurlylivefree.com has lots of great info for determining your hair properties (and also offers a hair analysis service if you're still unsure), as well as general info about ingredients to look for/avoid based on properties. There is also a thread buried somewhere in the 2s forum called "Share Your Hair Biography." It's a great reference for searching out other people with the same properties and seeing what works and doesn't work for them. Again, curl pattern really doesn't play into this. I have 3a curls, but my hair twin has 2b waves. We have nearly identical properties and get almost identical results from the same products. If one of us raves about something, it's pretty much guaranteed that the other will love it also.

Do you know if I have to pay for the hair analysis? I think I might do that if it doesn't cost too much because I'm not 100% sure on my hair properties. They should be in my signature but idk cuz I'm on my phone!
    Currently using:

Always learning!
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,193Registered Users
    Unfortunately, yes. I don't know what the cost is now. I paid about $20 back when I got mine done. I'm on the app also, so I can't see signatures :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    Corrina777 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, yes. I don't know what the cost is now. I paid about $20 back when I got mine done. I'm on the app also, so I can't see signatures :)

Bummer! Il just keep my properties I guessed! :(
    Currently using:

Always learning!
    To all!

This is my hair not diffused
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1366997796.007024.jpg
    Currently using:

Always learning!
  • collegecurly27collegecurly27 Posts: 36Registered Users
    I have the same issues with my curls when I have too much build up. Have you tried clarifying recently?
    Co-Wash: Deva No Poo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave in: KKKT (with KCCC only)
    HG Gel: KCCC
    Currently experimenting with Garnier Pure Clean
    I have the same issues with my curls when I have too much build up. Have you tried clarifying recently?

Yeah I clarified about a week or so ago, that was when I had my best hair day then diffused. But I've been trying to fix my dry scalp issue (it gets itchy really quickly) I think I'm going to need to wait until I go home in 3 weeks. (I'm in college and hate having to use all my bfs gas getting all kinds of products all over) also when I go home I'm going to be teaching my sister cg to fix her hair!!!!
    Currently using:

Always learning!
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    Sounds like we have similar hair and are having similar problems. I'm having the worst hair day in the full two years since I went silicone/ sulphate free, so not fair after all the effort I've put it I could actually cry.

Pretty sure my hair is over-conditioned, it's lank with no curl. Curled up beautifully with a sulphate free shampoo followed by protein treatment (Komaza Care) but now is virtually straight with no more than a few hairs glued together, looks like I brushed it out!

If I find a solution I will post it up for you.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    I did a protein treatment and then a DT and my hair looks fabulous! Pictures to follow!
    Currently using:

Always learning!
  • lcl0706lcl0706 Posts: 959Registered Users
    properties are so so so important, and the most important one is your texture - fine, medium, or coarse - and that one is easy to figure out. take a single strand of hair, preferably from your crown, and look at it's width. fine hair is very thin strands that are hard to see & coarse hair is wiry kind of like a sewing thread. I'm assuming your hair is fine (maybe medium) since it responded well to protein (coarse hair generally does not) & protein will be a key ingredient for you going forward, to help maintain strength & curl structure. Fine hair lacks enough protein to maintain that on its own. porous hair also benefits from protein to fill in the holes in the hair shaft that cause it to be porous. porosity is the next most important property, IMO. highly porous hair is usually a result of heat or chemical damage. some indicators of that include hair that feels bumpy when you run your fingers from root to tip, gets wet really easily, soaks up a lot of product, and dries quickly. however, fine hair with thin density (not thick overall) also can dry quickly because there isn't much hair to dry. My hair is normal to low porosity and still dries fairly fast. HTH!
    :wave: fine, thin, normal/(low?) porosity. Mod-CG. Usually I can't co-wash more than 1x a week, & sometimes I have to use T-Gel in rotation due to scalp issues.

Co-wash: VO5 Volumizing
    Poo: Giovanni 50:50
    RO:TN, Nexxus Youth Renewal, Alba Coconut
    LI: KCKT
    PT: gelatin PT, ION EC
    Stylers: Giovanni mousse, TIGI Curls Rock amplifier (a-cone), Curls Rock Strong Hold Mousse
    Gels: SCC spray gel

hairsiggy-4-1.jpg
    I did a protein treatment and then a DT and my hair looks fabulous! Pictures to follow!

That's great news! Mine looks like a hay bale and is now three tone because all the treatments have pulled out the dye - coco betaine is not gentle on my skin or hair - but I may have found one culprit. Fructis Repair & Shine got reformulated and I got caught by a new bottle. No palm oil, amodithicone instead. Not a happy bunny today!
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
  • stefflg79stefflg79 Posts: 85Registered Users
    What did you choose to use as a PT & DT?
    Fine/Thin hair (low density)
    Normal porosity
    Normal Elasticity

Techniques: Modified Super Soaker, plopping, pixe diffusing, clipping

Low poo: Acure, Y2Cukes
    Co Wash: SNRS, Suave Tropical Coconut
    RO: Y2C
    Style: FSG (HG!!!!), with HETT & BRHG or Devacurl Ultra light defining Gel
    PT: IAGirls Gelatin
    DT: GVP CB mixed with Coconut oil, Olive Oil, Agave (or honey).

Favorite Styling tools: Devafuser, Deva clips & Flour Sack Towels

That's great news! Mine looks like a hay bale and is now three tone because all the treatments have pulled out the dye - coco betaine is not gentle on my skin or hair - but I may have found one culprit. Fructis Repair & Shine got reformulated and I got caught by a new bottle. No palm oil, amodithicone instead. Not a happy bunny today!

:( I hate when they change ingredients! Weird story but it happened with my cat, they changed the packaging of her food and claimed they didn't change the formula but she wouldn't eat it so obviously they did!

Yeah I'm totally not dying my hair anymore. I have highlights and they're over processed so my hairs kinda funky now.
    Currently using:

Always learning!
    stefflg79 wrote: »
    What did you choose to use as a PT & DT?

I did the gelatin treatment kinda my own formulation since I had no measuring cups. 2 packs of Knox gelatin, some water, a few drops of jojoba oil, spoonful of honey, a good squeeze of my suave coconut conditioner and a splash of ACV

For my DT I did the curls unleashed moisture conditioner in the little tub, smelled amazing, there were mixed reviews online but I went with it anyway, I loved it!! ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1367171172.139669.jpg

This was taken this morning after I put a little more LI in. So happy!
    Currently using:

Always learning!
    :( I hate when they change ingredients! Weird story but it happened with my cat, they changed the packaging of her food and claimed they didn't change the formula but she wouldn't eat it so obviously they did!

Yeah I'm totally not dying my hair anymore. I have highlights and they're over processed so my hairs kinda funky now.

It's awesome being a cat slave tho! ;)

I'm never quitting dying, want to be a crazy old lady with pink hair, but I have switched to a far gentler method and grown out the worst of the damage over the last two years. Kinda similar to your highlights even tho I full head. I don't think the initial lifting of the roots was causing me much of an issue, it was 'refreshing' the lengths every six to eight weeks that caused the worst of the chemical damage.

Great hair in that photo, looks healthy and defined!

It's awesome being a cat slave tho! ;)

I'm never quitting dying, want to be a crazy old lady with pink hair, but I have switched to a far gentler method and grown out the worst of the damage over the last two years. Kinda similar to your highlights even tho I full head. I don't think the initial lifting of the roots was causing me much of an issue, it was 'refreshing' the lengths every six to eight weeks that caused the worst of the chemical damage.

Great hair in that photo, looks healthy and defined!

Yeah hahaha.

I was actually considering doing semi permanent color from a box. My best curls were after I dyed my hair semi permanent color I really can't decide though cuz I don't want my hair to get worse :(
    Currently using:

Always learning!
    Duplicate post! Thanks a lot iPhone app
    Currently using:

Always learning!
    Yeah hahaha.

I was actually considering doing semi permanent color from a box. My best curls were after I dyed my hair semi permanent color I really can't decide though cuz I don't want my hair to get worse :(

Some of the semi permanents (NOT demi permanents which may contain small amounts of harsh chemicals) are just in a conditioner base, I am using UK brand La Riche Directions which leaves my hair really glossy and supple after three hours. I do this over a permanent blonde box dye to lift the roots a couple of shades so it will take, which is obviously less gentle (!) but still a great improvement on box dying the whole head each time.

Ingredients are "Aqua, cetearyl alcohol, distearoylethyl hydroxyethylmonium methosulfate and cetearyl alcohol, ceteareth-20, butylene glycol, glyceryl stearate, citric acid, methylparaben."
    Whilst I don't much like using parabens, that is CG friendly AFAIK no polyquats or cones or anything that coats the hair, no sulphate surfactants. And I can CO-wash off the excess! :hello1:

Yeah hahaha.

Some of the semi permanents (NOT demi permanents which may contain small amounts of harsh chemicals) are just in a conditioner base, I am using UK brand La Riche Directions which leaves my hair really glossy and supple after three hours. I do this over a permanent blonde box dye to lift the roots a couple of shades so it will take, which is obviously less gentle (!) but still a great improvement on box dying the whole head each time.

Ingredients are "Aqua, cetearyl alcohol, distearoylethyl hydroxyethylmonium methosulfate and cetearyl alcohol, ceteareth-20, butylene glycol, glyceryl stearate, citric acid, methylparaben."
    Whilst I don't much like using parabens, that is CG friendly AFAIK no polyquats or cones or anything that coats the hair, no sulphate surfactants. And I can CO-wash off the excess! :hello1:

Sounds not bad! Il have to look into it for the natural instincts!
    Currently using:

Always learning!