We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Fix it! Products, Method, or Cut? (photos)

stephaniekleinstephanieklein Posts: 10Registered Users
I've tried the super-soaker method, icequeen, pump and scrunch, rake and shake. Plopping, double plops, diffusing upside-down for volume. The problem? My curls aren't clumping into large enough clumps, and toward the ends, even though they hold their curl, the mass of my hair looks stringy not plumped and clumped. Is this something only a cut will cure?

I've tried Aphogee protein 2-step treatment, deep conditioning with coconut oil. I use sulfate-free shampoo or co-condition with Hello Hydration. I use AG re:coil and Curl Keeper. I've used Ouidad Climate Control. I use enough product that I always hear that juicy squish sound when I scrunch before I plop. I've scrunched the crunch out of LA Looks Sport Gel. I've tried the Shea Moisture Milk for thinning hair. Still, the curl clumps always break up into stringy thinner curls.

Any suggestions? Does it come down to a cut? If yes, then what type of cut do I ask for? I LOVE having long hair! Obviously "long layers," but is the shape right? Do I want the layers cut bluntly?

3A curls (I think), very fine hairs, medium density, medium-low porosity. I want big clumps and volume!

Comments

• bleuyteuybleuyteuy Posts: 273Registered Users
    I see nothing wrong with your hair its so pretty! But stringy ends either mean protein or a trim for me. Good luck.
  • stephaniekleinstephanieklein Posts: 10Registered Users
    Still very stringy curls, where the curls are narrow and self-contained, not big and fat loops (which is what I want). I worry that a cut can't fix this. Oh, what to do!
  • YoshimiYoshimi Posts: 237Registered Users
    You look like you have less hair at those ends, which means that to even it out you probably need a cut as nothing will make you have as much hair there as the rest of your thickness.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using CurlTalk App
    2C, Medium thickness, Low posity
    Recovering from a year of keratin and bleach with CG

Routine

Low Poo, Condition, Leave in, Curl cream, Supersoak, Gel, Diffuse on high heat, with minimal lift to encourage waves and reduce frizz, Dry on cool with nozzle down to smooth hair and finish drying,Shine Serum

Weekly gelatin protien treatments.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The length and weight of your hair is probably pulling the curl out. A haircut with the right layers will also help. It will reshape your hair and get rid of the the stringiness at the bottom. Here's a link that will help you with what you need to know http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/salon-stylist-chatter/76806-what-should-i-tell-my-stylist.html
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I guess I see the ends thing but mostly I think it looks beautiful.
  • anonymous_133347anonymous_133347 Posts: 1,426Registered Users
    I agree with everyone else.Your hair is positively gorgeous. And the only reason it seems a tad "stringy" at the ends (your words, not mine) is because there is less hair there for your curl to grab onto. It can't twine around itself, clump, and form a ringlet. Sometimes the ends of 3A hair can have the tightest ringlets because weight isn't pulling on them. So just a trim/reshape. Don't let them take any of the juicy clumpy parts off.
    3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
    Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
    Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
    Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

• LoveInBetweenLoveInBetween Posts: 392Registered Users
    My curls tend to get stringy if I rake my fingers or comb my hair after the final rinse of water in the shower.

I don't rake my product in my hair anymore lest I break up the clumps. Instead if raking, I smooth. This way I get big juicy bouncy curls.'

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    Curl Routine
    Co: As I am Coconut CoWash,VO5 Claifying Conditioner
    DC: Macadamia Repair Masque
    LI: KCKT, Suave Naturals Coconut
    Style Creme: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Gel: KCCC, Eco Styler Argan Oil
    Sealer: EVCO, EVOO

3b/3c, High Desity, High Porosity, Medium Texture, BSL
    ""Live by the sun, love by the moon"

• stephaniekleinstephanieklein Posts: 10Registered Users
    Ooh, good tip. I will try smoothing and hope that I get it evenly distributed!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file