CurlTalk

K Pak Intense Hydrator and amodimethicone. Ok?

I tried Joico K Pak Intense Hydrator and my hair absolutely loved it! Best it has been in a long time! Then I noticed it has the dreaded amodimethicone!

Is this OK--I have read many threads on this and I am still not sure. I do low-poo once a week. Any experience with this cone and build up anyone? I was planning to use it once a week. Thanks!

Comments

• Chloe_s_MomChloe_s_Mom Posts: 48Registered Users
    I was just doing a search on amodimethicones and saw your post.
    I was under the belief that this a-cone was water soluble, and had happily resumed using Sebastian Potion 9 (contains this a-cone). Then I found a bunch of posts saying that it is not water soluble.
    I normally shy away from silicones (based on experience with greasy anti frizz serums) but have found that my hair really likes this product.
    I haven't noticed build up with this silicone, but rather with other products (including weighing down my hair, making it feel coated), but I have read that it can cause dryness if used a lot (not sure what constitutes a lot...)
    So I'm on the fence!
    Growing out a pixie (last big cut July 2012)
    3a? 3b? Fine, dense. Porous.
    Finally sulfate free. Avoiding silicones.
  • Chris1965Chris1965 Posts: 43Registered Users
    Me too! But I do like the product. It's so hard for me to isolate one Ingredient and say if I like or if it causes a problem! Too many other ingredients and things like the weather making it too confusing to figure it out!
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,257Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    According to the Curl Chemist once it's deposited onto the hair, a-cone repels further a-cone deposits, so it shouldn't build up like other non-water soluble silicones do. Amodimethicone and other Amine-functionalized Silicones

Chris, if your hair is liking it and you're low pooing once a week, you may be ok to continue using it. I'd just watch your hair to make sure it continues to respond well. Sudden dryness /frizz may be a sign you need to back off of the Joico for a bit.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • sKorpio1190sKorpio1190 Posts: 1,862Registered Users
    Been using it everyday for a week as my conditioner and my hair loves it
    Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity :shock:
  • Chris1965Chris1965 Posts: 43Registered Users
    That's a good plan because I do love the shine. I so hope it will not become a problem. Thanks for the great link too!
    Skorpio I am hoping I have your luck with it!
  • sKorpio1190sKorpio1190 Posts: 1,862Registered Users
    Chris1965 wrote: »
    That's a good plan because I do love the shine. I so hope it will not become a problem. Thanks for the great link too!
    Skorpio I am hoping I have your luck with it!

Me too. Good luck
    Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity :shock: