CurlTalk

Gosnell Trial

inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users
I am not one to post political things or even get involved. Everyone has their own opinion and I respect that. I get tired of the media deciding what we should know about and shouldn't. They fight for animal rights...they fight for gun control...but when it comes to this monster...they stay silent... why? We hear about the Rutgers Coach, or Sandusky or the politician who cheats on his wife...but this trial is relatively not covered...shouldn't we ask ourselves why?

I know Foxnews is considered "Conservative". Conservative/Right Wing/Left Wing/Democrat/Republican....shouldn't matter.. They should be airing and talking about this every day..just like they do many other things.

I will be quiet now and let you form your own opinion.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.foxnews.com%2Fopinion%2F2013%2F...to-know-about%2F" class="Popup

Comments

• Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users
    Oh my... That is horrifying. I had not heard anything about this. I could not get your link to open so I googled. I have only read one article so far. You are right. This deserved full media attention.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thedailybeast.com%2Farticles%2F2013%2F04%2F12%2Fwhy-the-mainstream-media-is-not-covering-the-gosnell-abortion-trial.html" class="Popup

ETA: I have read one more article from The Daily Caller, that was very graphic, and I am so far beyond disgusted. Animals using the clinic as a liter box, medical equipment that was never used and/or broken, not being allowed to call for emergency services which resulted in more deaths... This is disturbing on so many levels.

After reading further I can not say that I am surprised that it's not been getting coverage, for more than one reason. The media is messed up, all the way around. But this case deserves full attention.

As you said, everyone has their own opinions on the topic itself. I have mine, and they tend to be more liberal (even if it is something I probably could not do myself/hope I don't have to find out) but this is barbaric.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will continue to read further, even though it is hard to read.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You're right; this story hasn't been covered to the extent that other crimes have been. However, I wouldn't say it hasn't been covered. I've read a few stories about this man since he was charged. To be honest with you, I avoided the stories after the initial hoopla because they made me sick. What he did is not okay. It's gruesome. Also, if I remember correctly, these crimes happened in a poor, primarily minority area, meaning that he took advantage of poor women who felt they had nowhere else to go.

I can't tell you whether there were political motives for not covering the story to the extent that other stories are covered. I can't even say how much of the Fox story is true but I know for a fact that some of it is false. I have seen this story on tv and have read about it online. Given the fact that I don't watch CNN or Fox news, I can say with certainty that it was on a major network.

Aside from the salaciousness of the story and its gruesomeness compared to other stories that get a lot of coverage, I'm curious why this story "deserves" round-the-clock coverage? I'm not saying that this story shouldn't be covered but there are a heck of a lot of stories here locally that don't get covered nationally so why should this one be in the news every day? Why should any story?

I think this is the link you were trying to post.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    Ironically, when I clicked on that link I got this:

Page Not Found
    The page you are looking for has either moved or is no longer available, but you may be interested in the content below.

ETA: Ah, thanks Mrs. P.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    I've heard quite a few stories about this, actually. I mostly get my news from NPR/MPR.

ETA: Also this story has as much to do with abortion as school shootings have to do with responsible gun ownership.
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    wild~hair wrote: »
    I've heard quite a few stories about this, actually. I mostly get my news from NPR/MPR.

ETA: Also this story has as much to do with abortion as school shootings have to do with responsible gun ownership.
    Same.

And, agreed.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    The real horror isn't being reported at all. The real horror is that Kermit Gosnell was a BACK ALLEY ABORTIONIST. He is what you get when you restrict women's access to safe legal abortion. He is what you'll get more of as states around the country under Republican rule are working to take more and more and more reproductive freedoms away from women. There's a reason the victims in this crime are all minorities...it's because rich white women are more able to afford safe abortion care, despite the obstacles put up by anti-choice legislators. It's the poor brown women who die.

So, by all means, prosecute this guy, lock him up and throw away the key. But don't allow politicians and anti-choice activists to snowball you into believing that we need to restrict and regulate abortion even more so we don't get more victims like this. It's because of those restrictions and onerous regulations that this guy was allowed to flourish for so long.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    Super sick
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    The real horror isn't being reported at all. The real horror is that Kermit Gosnell was a BACK ALLEY ABORTIONIST. He is what you get when you restrict women's access to safe legal abortion. He is what you'll get more of as states around the country under Republican rule are working to take more and more and more reproductive freedoms away from women. There's a reason the victims in this crime are all minorities...it's because rich white women are more able to afford safe abortion care, despite the obstacles put up by anti-choice legislators. It's the poor brown women who die.

So, by all means, prosecute this guy, lock him up and throw away the key. But don't allow politicians and anti-choice activists to snowball you into believing that we need to restrict and regulate abortion even more so we don't get more victims like this. It's because of those restrictions and onerous regulations that this guy was allowed to flourish for so long.
    Thank you for saying this. It was in the back of my mind as I started typing last night but I couldn't think of what to say or how to say it.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,132Registered Users
    I also get my news from NPR and OBS and NPR covered this. +1 to RCW.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • legendslegends Posts: 3,073Registered Users

I thought this back when he was first charged...this is what happens when access to abortions is restricted.

I haven't been able to confirm this, but I once read that there was a huge drop in appendectomies right after Roe v Wade. Which makes total sense--if women don't want to be pregnant, they'll do what they can to not be pregnant anymore. If you're poor and a minority, you end up with a Gosnell. If you're rich and white, you get an "appendectomy."
    Eres o te haces?
    legends wrote: »

I thought this back when he was first charged...this is what happens when access to abortions is restricted.

I haven't been able to confirm this, but I once read that there was a huge drop in appendectomies right after Roe v Wade. Which makes total sense--if women don't want to be pregnant, they'll do what they can to not be pregnant anymore. If you're poor and a minority, you end up with a Gosnell. If you're rich and white, you get an "appendectomy."
    Or you have "cancer" and "require" a hysterectomy.

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    Lots of "therapeutic D&Cs" were done. Women apparently needed their uteri cleaned out a lot in the old days.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users

Exactly.

I heard about this story a while ago, when he was arrested. I am pretty sure I heard about it on NPR or on one of the liberal feminist blogs I read. This whole "the liberal media are keeping it quiet" story is total BS because while I don't watch Fox myself, I keep pretty good tabs on abortion stories that are happening and what the right wing media is saying about them. While I heard about him and his crimes "in the liberal media" way back then, I did not hear anyone outraged about what Fox or the Daily Caller was saying about this story, which leads me to believe there was no story.

I don't think it was a political coverup because it exposes the so-called "truth about abortion", I think it exposes quite the opposite. I figure most media did not cover it because it involved a whole lot of poor, brown and black women
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    i haven't heard of the story and its probably because the victims were all brown and poor. brown and poor victims dont make headlines no better the crime.

I hope he is thrown away and never heard from again.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Disgusting...but then again, I think abortion is, in general. I don't really distinguish btwn what he did and any other abortionists.

• murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    Disgusting...but then again, I think abortion is, in general. I don't really distinguish btwn what he did and any other abortionists.

I don't wanna be rude but I'mma go ahead and be rude and say it's probably because you don't know anything about abortions or bodies....at all. Period. Reaaaaddd.

If I didn't know you as a regular poster I would assume you were a troll with that sentence.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
    murrrcat wrote: »

I don't wanna be rude but I'mma go ahead and be rude and say it's probably because you don't know anything about abortions or bodies....at all. Period. Reaaaaddd.

If I didn't know you as a regular poster I would assume you were a troll with that sentence.
    Crazy talk. Spidey is very well informed about a lot of things, not to mention, she actually has kids.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    Abortion doesnt involve killing a baby that has been delivered alive and crying by severing its spinal cord. there is a huge difference between abortion and what this man did.
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Because she views a fetus as a baby, and abortion as murder, she probably doesn't distinguish between this and any other abortion. She considers it brutal and she is certainly entitled to her opinion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I know this: it's a dead fetus.

What difference does it make if the doctor ends its life at 8 weeks or 38 weeks? If its head or spine gets severed in its mother's body or if its head or spine gets severed on a table? It's the same fetus.

I have ultrasound pics of both of my kids at 8 weeks and heard both of their heartbeats. And they weren't any less alive then and human then than they day they were born.

No one wants to say anything about this disgusting Gosnell situation bc we all know the ONLY difference btwn his practice and every other abortion doctor's is bigger corpses.

You can say whatever you want about me but I don't have the blood of anyone's fetus on my hands.

• annabananaliseannabananalise Posts: 1,913Registered Users
    I think this case is an example of what could happen if abortion was made illegal.

Women are going to get abortions and I'd rather they be regulated, safe, and definitely not like this.

I feel like this case is a good argument for why safe and healthy abortions should be made available for every woman. Or else more gosnells are going to prey on poorer and uneducated women.
    Last relaxer: 8.4.10
    BC: 9.6.11
    tumblr_mkqgfjWwA41qcwgrvo1_500.gif
    when will your favs?

What difference does it make if the doctor ends its life at 8 weeks or 38 weeks? If its head or spine gets severed in its mother's body or if its head or spine gets severed on a table? It's the same fetus.

I have ultrasound pics of both of my kids at 8 weeks and heard both of their heartbeats. And they weren't any less alive then and human then than they day they were born.

No one wants to say anything about this disgusting Gosnell situation bc we all know the ONLY difference btwn his practice and every other abortion doctor's is bigger corpses.

You can say whatever you want about me but I don't have the blood of anyone's fetus on my hands.
    No, "we all" don't know this. Please don't speak for anybody but yourself, least of all the entire world.

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
    mrspoppers wrote: »

No, "we all" don't know this. Please don't speak for anybody but yourself, least of all the entire world.

Oh sorry and a bigger mess to clean up...
    Sent from my SCH-I605 using CurlTalk App

I think this case is an example of what could happen if abortion was made illegal.

Women are going to get abortions and I'd rather they be regulated, safe, and definitely not like this.

I feel like this case is a good argument for why safe and healthy abortions should be made available for every woman. Or else more gosnells are going to prey on poorer and uneducated women.
    This argument really makes no sense to me.Abortions ARE legal and there is still a market for this type of service. People who want them and people who will do them.

IMO all it shows is that people will do unconscionable things.

As a society, as a country, as a community and as individuals we often do not value human life and we do not protected or nurture it. To me, it is very sad. And that people would defend similar activity because it's done on a smaller fetus or because it's done on the younger fetus or because it's done inside a mother's womb or because it's done with this type of medical instrument vs that type is also very sad to me. That we are creating all kinds distinctions to justify this....

• yossarianyossarian Posts: 967Registered Users

ITA, but what I would really like to see is improved access to birth control. Why isn't the pill OTC after 53 years, despite the fact that it is extremely effective and safe? And we all know what happened when Democrats tried to extend insurance coverage to include contraception.

Part of the problem is that few people remember what life was like for desperate pregnant women before Roe. In my American Government class, I have a slide with 2 images juxtaposed: a 24 week old fetus, & a coat hanger with a red slash through it. Only a handful of students under the age of 50 know what the second one means.

As for this pig, throw away the key.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlTalk App
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
    2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
    Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
    Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
    Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
    PT: BASK Whiskey Soak
  • DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users

This argument really makes no sense to me.Abortions ARE legal and there is still a market for this type of service. People who want them and people who will do them.

IMO all it shows is that people will do unconscionable things.

As a society, as a country, as a community and as individuals we often do not value human life and we do not protected or nurture it. To me, it is very sad. And that people would defend similar activity because it's done on a smaller fetus or because it's done on the younger fetus or because it's done inside a mother's womb or because it's done with this type of medical instrument vs that type is also very sad to me. That we are creating all kinds distinctions to justify this....

Surely you understood she meant making them financially available, not just legally. The women who sought out Gosnell couldn't afford going to a decent doctor. There wouldn't have been a market for him if those women had had an option.

People don't abort on a whim. Those women were desperate enough that they put their lives at risk. It's a problem that won't go away by simply banning abortion.

I live in a country where it isn't legal but we all know those with money make do and those who don't have any end up stuck with likes of people like Gosnell.
  • yossarianyossarian Posts: 967Registered Users

Almost 90% of US counties have no abortion provider. Abortion doctors have been harassed, threatened and even killed in a decades-long campaign of intimidation. Activists picket outside their homes and their children's schools. As a result, the number of doctors receiving medical training to perform abortions has dropped sharply out of fear for their personal safety.

There has also been a major escalation of anti-abortion laws in recent years, including transvaginal probes (!) and waiting periods. The primary objective is to humiliate women and to make abortion prohibitively expensive, thereby placing an undue burden on poor women.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlTalk App
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
    2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
    Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
    Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
    Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
    PT: BASK Whiskey Soak
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just can't understand how a human being can hold a crying baby and snip it's spinal cord in order to kill it. This has to be a person with no conscience or empathy. How does someone become this way?
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    Some people are born that way; they're just able to hide it very well for a while.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.