CurlTalk

Was President Obama wrong...

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
...to compliment California Atty General on her looks?

Or more generally, do you feel mentioning a person's appearance in a work setting is always inappropriate? Where do we draw the line?

(Modeling, etc. jobs excluded)

Comments

• geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    Yes, he was wrong.

Is it always wrong in a work setting? Depends what you mean by work setting. I will occasionally complement my coworkers' (male or female) clothing or haircut if I am pretty close to them and if we are in an informal situation at work (chatting while drinking coffee, meeting in the hall, etc.) I think that is OK (unless one is very persistent in complementing a coworker, makes them uncomfortable, etc.)

But in an actual formal work situation at work, no way, never. If someone were to introduce a colleague at a business meeting as "The top sales rep in the Northeast and also the most attractive" that would be WRONG WRONG WRONG.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I just read that Obama has said similar things about men in professional contexts, so I doubt he is an evil sexist, he was just making dorky jokes. But it is still wrong. Wrong to say about men or women.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    can we talk about the monsanto gate....grrrr
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    It was just a dorky comment not proof of sexism. I have heard him say similar things about male colleagues and no one was offended, but he really needs to stop doing that looks-judgy thing to women.
  • CurlswirlCurlswirl Posts: 526Registered Users
    I also think it was wrong as he said she was "by far the best looking AG in the US." Isn't that ranking looks?! Did he create a beauty pageant for AGs from the US and he was the judge?!That means the others are not as attractive. Not a smart or sensitive (and a sexist) thing to say which is surprising since he is such a bright guy!
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,270Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Entire quote: (formatting fixed) “She’s brilliant and she’s dedicated, she’s tough…She also happens to be, by far, the best looking attorney general...It’s true! C’mon.”

Tempest in a teapot. And yes I've heard him say similar re: men. And I think Beau Biden is right up there in looks with Kamala.
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users
    murrrcat wrote: »
    can we talk about the monsanto gate....grrrr

People should be talking about it. They should be talking about it, and focusing on whats going on around them locally, rather than every side story that keeps them distracted.

Lard knows the theories alone are interesting. Alien control and everything...

^I'm assuming those are the same people who bought the strange sounds heard around the world hoax. It's just a guess, though.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]