CurlTalk

Home remedies for scalp dermatitis

calicourtcalicourt Posts: 36Registered Users
Can ya'll share your home remedies that actually work for scalp derma****. I have a section in the back that is real bad and I want it to go away. I hear monistat works has anyone tried it? Thanks :hello2:

Comments

• teejayteejay Posts: 537Registered Users
    My scalp and hair took a beating this winter. I suffered from scalp dermatitis and an allergic reaction to hair dye. My hairline suffered the most because it is finer than the rest of my hair.

I used Lamisil. The active ingredient is Terbinafine solution. It helped a lot! I am now using Dragon's Blood soap and Black Jamaican Castor Oil to keep the dermatitis from returning and to help my hair grow back.

Someone posted this link on the thin/thinning hair board: Treatment of Seborrheic Dermatitis - May 1, 2000 - American Family Physician
    That's where I learned about Lamisil.

Co-wash: VO5 Tea Therapy
    Rinse Out: Garnier Sleek 'n Shine (subject to change)
    Styler: Long Aid Curl Activator

Dislikes: Proteins (except occasional Silk protein), Cones, Oils
  • Oats22Oats22 Posts: 48Registered Users
    I have seborrheic dermatitis (affects scalp/hairline, eyebrows, around my nose, behind my ears, with flareups at times and other times that it's just regular non-flaky skin)

If it's bad, I'd suggest going to the dermatologist. You can try the ketoconazole shampoo Nizoral which you can get at a drug store--it can be rather drying, so trying to use it on your scalp rather than your hair is best. Right now I use Jason's Natural Dandruff Control, which I got online and works quite well for me. Also, after some research online, I found that application of Coconut Oil is supposed to help--I did that for a while, but stopped, so I can't tell you from my experience how well that actually worked.
    Last Relaxer: July 6th, 2012, approx 1:30pm.
    12 months/52.2 weeks/365 days transitioning!

event.png

"Right now I'm wearing a 'Darn-I-Went-To-Bed-Without-A-Scarf' and later I'm gonna try a 'Salvage-This-And-Try-To-Look-Presentable.'"
  • CityGirl81CityGirl81 Posts: 418Registered Users
    I have been suffering with this BAD. To the point my hair was breaking off something terrible. So when thinking back before I went "natural conscience" I decided to go back to apply Sulfur 8 to the part of my scalp that was killing me. What did first was wash my scalp with ACV, deep condition and then applied the Sulfar 8. I have not had to itch in almost three weeks.
  • h2wQueenh2wQueen Posts: 551Registered Users
    I struggle with this as well. Mine occurs throughout but hairline and behind the ears especially. Tonight while traveling I decided to massage tea tree and jojoba into my scalp. Ill see how it works. Ive been using a dañdruff shampoo that is drying my hair. I'm going back to modified cg and going to try scalp treatments.
    "We Live From the Head Down and Not the Feet Up" ~Donnie
  • h2wQueenh2wQueen Posts: 551Registered Users
    so the tea tree and jojoba really helped for today. I will also say that the aloe vera gel from Trader Joe's set my hair quite nicely. I think I'll continue treating my scalp this way as apart of my weekly steaming regimen with my hair conditioner(which i have slacked on for months). In general what i tried worked so i am happy.
    "We Live From the Head Down and Not the Feet Up" ~Donnie
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users
    the key to fixing my scalp problems was more frequent washing, not cowashing. also, tea tree products like trader joe's or giovanni were wonderful.
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]