CurlTalk

Marshmallow Root

Hey guys. I have been on a quest to find this stuff to incorporate in my FSG but I can't seem to find it on the ground. So then I went online and checked iherb and found this:

Starwest Botanicals, Marshmallow Root, Organic, 1 lb - iHerb.com

There is also this:

Frontier Natural Products, Organic Cut & Sifted Marshmallow Root, 16 oz (453 g) - iHerb.com

Pretty sure this is the right thing. Can anyone confirm before I buy?
3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

Comments

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    Sorry, don't know anything about buying it in bulk to use in products, but I can say my hair usually likes stuff that contains it. Good luck!
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    It's the right stuff. If you want smaller quantity Mountain Rose Herbs | Bulk organic herbs, spices & essential oils
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • anonymous_133347anonymous_133347 Posts: 1,426Registered Users
    Aw I love you, Kathymack. It's so nice to have a pro like you on the board. Always at the ready with helpful advice.

CG since Nov. 2012

Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
    Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper

* = HG

WurlyLox wrote: »
    Sorry, don't know anything about buying it in bulk to use in products, but I can say my hair usually likes stuff that contains it. Good luck!

Mine too! I am on a mission to make my own KCCC or the closest I can get my FSG to act like it. If I succeed I shall post my recipe and step by step instructions.

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

dusalocks wrote: »
    WurlyLox wrote: »

Mine too! I am on a mission to make my own KCCC or the closest I can get my FSG to act like it. If I succeed I shall post my recipe and step by step instructions.

Here's a thread that might be of interest. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/4/43562-alternative-popular-product.html

When I first started on nc.com, I was really into trying to make my own products. It got to be a VERY expensive proposition! Making things and throwing them away because they didn't work anywhere near as well as the original. I make FSG and Okra Gel because they are easy, work well and are really cheap to make.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wow that helps a lot. Merci beaucoup. Yes, since FSG reminds me so much of KCCC now that I perfected the consistency I'm trying to liken the recipes. I still shall always buy KCCC since you can carry it around out of the fridge but still, since I love FSG so much and it is super easy to make I am gonna take a crack at it

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

• dovecurldovecurl Posts: 79Registered Users
    I'd be really interested to know how this works out! My FSG doesn't do a whole lot for my hair.
    curl type: 2c/3a
    porosity: low
    hair strand width: medium
    density: thick
    elasticity: low-normal
    Shoulder length

Ready to get back on the CG bandwagon! :iconbiggrin:
  • flippaciousflippacious Posts: 155Registered Users
    So what is marshmallow root supposed to do when added to FSG? Is it for moisture?
    2b/c, high density
    fine, medium porosity, normal elasticity
    loves protein, hates polyquats
    still searching for HGs
    So what is marshmallow root supposed to do when added to FSG? Is it for moisture?

I did a search on it and came up with a few explanations:

Agave and Marshmallow

DIY Homemade Detangler Recipes
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hold & shine! I'll let cha know if it works out. Ordered my root and am anxiously awaiting it. :hello2:

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

• shellyRN07swavyshellyRN07swavy Posts: 309Registered Users
    I need to order some too...but or my okra gel...cannot do FSG...but hair is LOVING okra gel...been using BBs...but it is pretty pricey...im just trying to figure out what she uses in hers...she smart not to list all the ingredents used...:)...but im pretty sure she uses at least marshmellow root...
    2b/c CG since 8/12
    I have low porosity and fine/med texture. Easily weighed down and VERY frizzy crown, with straighter under layers

Low-poo:TJ TTT, CJ GCS
    LI/RO/DC: CK Satin Roots,Sevi Pumpkin, SSI Okra reconstructor, CJ SAC,CJ RM
    Stylers: AG Recoil, JC SS
    Jellies: CK Coil Jam, Okra gel(HG)
    Gel: JC CC, Ouidad H&H gel, Ouidad moisture lock gel

Hair loves moisture:love3: protein.
    MUST Pixie diffuse.

My hair dose NOT like oils, butters or polyquats:twisted: Or glycerin in high dews
    I need to order some too...but or my okra gel...cannot do FSG...but hair is LOVING okra gel...been using BBs...but it is pretty pricey...im just trying to figure out what she uses in hers...she smart not to list all the ingredents used...:)...but im pretty sure she uses at least marshmellow root...

I think your hair is fairly similar in properties. Here's what I used when I made a lot:

I boiled:

8 c water
    1/2 lb okra
    1 heaping T burdock root, horsetail, nettle and marshmallow root until the okra started to break down. Strained.

For every cup of okra gel, I added:

1 t magnesium chloride
    1/2 t honeyquat
    1/4 t Vit E
    1/4 t citric acid
    1 t Sucragel
    1 T aloe gel
    1/4 t potassium sorbate
    1/2 t guar gum

You could try to make a simple version and see if you like it a little. If you do, then you could invest in the ingredients and make your own in larger quantities.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    kathymack wrote: »

I think your hair is fairly similar in properties. Here's what I used when I made a lot:

I boiled:

8 c water
    1/2 lb okra
    1 heaping T burdock root, horsetail, nettle and marshmallow root until the okra started to break down. Strained.

For every cup of okra gel, I added:

1 t magnesium chloride
    1/2 t honeyquat
    1/4 t Vit E
    1/4 t citric acid
    1 t Sucragel
    1 T aloe gel
    1/4 t potassium sorbate
    1/2 t guar gum

You could try to make a simple version and see if you like it a little. If you do, then you could invest in the ingredients and make your own in larger quantities.

Thanks Kathymack...lol...i was hoping you would tell me your secrets...Just wondering if you might be able to estimate of much of agave nectar I might use for some hold?...And since I really dont need any extra moisture...i could omit the honeyquat and aloe gel right?...also what if i might want to use gelatin...would that replace another ingredient??...Ive NEVER made anything with these items...im a basic cook at home...so im hoping i can pull this off...oh and can I purchase samples of the products on the websites you have previously mentioned?...Thank you again Kathymack:toothy7:
    2b/c CG since 8/12
    I have low porosity and fine/med texture. Easily weighed down and VERY frizzy crown, with straighter under layers

MUST Pixie diffuse.

My hair dose NOT like oils, butters or polyquats:twisted: Or glycerin in high dews

Thanks Kathymack...lol...i was hoping you would tell me your secrets...Just wondering if you might be able to estimate of much of agave nectar I might use for some hold?...And since I really dont need any extra moisture...i could omit the honeyquat and aloe gel right?...also what if i might want to use gelatin...would that replace another ingredient??...Ive NEVER made anything with these items...im a basic cook at home...so im hoping i can pull this off...oh and can I purchase samples of the products on the websites you have previously mentioned?...Thank you again Kathymack:toothy7:

Honeyquat and agave nectar perform the same function, so you could swap that one out. I add the aloe gel because most hair products have it, you could eliminate it.

I have a note at the top of what I did. I put a package of gelatin in 4 cups of okra gel.

You can get most of the herbs at Mountain Rose herbs, don't know about the other ingredients. If you search, you may have a place that has most of it.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Honeyquat and agave nectar perform the same function, so you could swap that one out. I add the aloe gel because most hair products have it, you could eliminate it.

I have a note at the top of what I did. I put a package of gelatin in 4 cups of okra gel.

You can get most of the herbs at Mountain Rose herbs, don't know about the other ingredients. If you search, you may have a place that has most of it.

Thanks kathymack for your thoughts...I will probably switch out honeyquat for agave nectar...at least for now..and i probably will add aloe gel b/c like you said..it seems to be in everything...do you recommend mag sulfate or can i use Epsom salt instead...they are similar but still have different properties...and will research the other herbs online to see if i can purchase samples or small amounts..i wonder though what is used for the okra gel that i purchased...all the bottle reads is spring water, okra extract, natural thickener and preservatives...
    2b/c CG since 8/12

MUST Pixie diffuse.

You guys! :blob6: Okay now I need to make some okra gel too. How does it compare to FSG? Shelly you mention it's not as clumpy. Does it have more hold while still leaving your hair soft? I like my hair to feel like hair which is why I stay away from hard hold gels. They don't like me.

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

You guys! :blob6: Okay now I need to make some okra gel too. How does it compare to FSG? Shelly you mention it's not as clumpy. Does it have more hold while still leaving your hair soft? I like my hair to feel like hair which is why I stay away from hard hold gels. They don't like me.

I think it's very similar, but easier to make. Of course, I add similar ingredients. I don't use hard hold gels, either, because of the chemicals. Hate my hair to look or feel producty.

Thanks kathymack for your thoughts...I will probably switch out honeyquat for agave nectar...at least for now..and i probably will add aloe gel b/c like you said..it seems to be in everything...do you recommend mag sulfate or can i use Epsom salt instead...they are similar but still have different properties...and will research the other herbs online to see if i can purchase samples or small amounts..i wonder though what is used for the okra gel that i purchased...all the bottle reads is spring water, okra extract, natural thickener and preservatives...

Epsom salt is mag sulfate. I use magnesium chloride--it's less drying.

If that's all that's listed on the bottle, that's all that should be in it. If your asking for add ins, technically, they should be listed, too. Start out slow. See if you like the basic one you make--you could do spring water and okra, thicken it with something easy and freeze your portions. If you like it, but know if needs a few other things, then you could buy the herbs, preservative, etc.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lol..sorry but I LOVE okra gel..the FSG just worked to well for clumps and it left my hair very coated feeling...so that’s why I tried the okra gel from BB...I fell it makes my hair "fluffy" but not frizzy..Just light and airy feeling..my hair is soft and shiny...I feel like I have less tangles when I go to wash it...it still can provide clumps but I have to encourage it...not like FSG, which "pulls" your hair into clumps...the hold for okra gel I feel is softer, which is why I like to have agave nectar added for more hold...I think if you have a strong curl pattern you wouldn’t need the extra hold...but with my weak waves, I feel it "sets" my curl pattern...
    2b/c CG since 8/12

MUST Pixie diffuse.

thanks kathymack...i think ill do that..that way why add stuff if the basic version works just fine...but i appreciate your help..will probably still look into some addin later...but just want to get started with something...will go to the farmers market next weekend since im off work...and cook up some okra gel...:0
    2b/c CG since 8/12

MUST Pixie diffuse.

lol..sorry but I LOVE okra gel..the FSG just worked to well for clumps and it left my hair very coated feeling...so that’s why I tried the okra gel from BB...I fell it makes my hair "fluffy" but not frizzy..Just light and airy feeling..my hair is soft and shiny...I feel like I have less tangles when I go to wash it...it still can provide clumps but I have to encourage it...not like FSG, which "pulls" your hair into clumps...the hold for okra gel I feel is softer, which is why I like to have agave nectar added for more hold...I think if you have a strong curl pattern you wouldn’t need the extra hold...but with my weak waves, I feel it "sets" my curl pattern...

I'm throwing agave in my next batch of FSG too for that reason. Hold. I thought about honey but seeing as how KCCC has agave and I bought a bottle of syrup 2 weeks ago it feels like it is time. I want to be able to use less FSG to set the curls and clumps like I do with KCCC so I figured I'd up the ante. I can't wait to make okra gel too now. Even if it doesn't promote clumps the way FSG does that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes you want looser curls and waves for a change.

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

I just felt FSG weighted my hair down and just coated my hair...had to shampoo more often...thus msking my hair dry and frizzy...while okra makes my hair fluffy...dosent give me more frizz..its hard to explain...now that I think about it...okra has protein...so I think the protein help give structure to my hair...thus providing some hold...but it has WAY more slip then fsg...which I love..and easy to cowash with..I still shampoo every third wash..but b/c I have horrible FL well water..I think you should give it a try..you have all the addins anyways...just need okra

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App
    2b/c CG since 8/12

MUST Pixie diffuse.

• flippaciousflippacious Posts: 155Registered Users

I did a search on it and came up with a few explanations:

Agave and Marshmallow

DIY Homemade Detangler Recipes

Thanks! My searching only came up with threads about the quantity and type of marshmallow root.
    2b/c, high density
    fine, medium porosity, normal elasticity
    loves protein, hates polyquats
    still searching for HGs
    I just felt FSG weighted my hair down and just coated my hair...had to shampoo more often...thus msking my hair dry and frizzy...while okra makes my hair fluffy...dosent give me more frizz..its hard to explain...now that I think about it...okra has protein...so I think the protein help give structure to my hair...thus providing some hold...but it has WAY more slip then fsg...which I love..and easy to cowash with..I still shampoo every third wash..but b/c I have horrible FL well water..I think you should give it a try..you have all the addins anyways...just need okra

Oh I've noticed that too! FSG is hard when you just co-wash depending on how much you apply. My first week I was going to town with it then my hair got very tangly maybe over conditioned only it was hard to tell so I did a clarifying wash and it went back to normal and since then I've been more modest in my application and just sticking to my regular routine of co-wash, co-wash, low-poo. But I've been doing something different when I low poo where I glaze the body of my hair with SM Moisture Retention Shampoo and let that sit for a minute while I'm washing/massaging my scalp. Then I squish scrunch up and rinse thoroughly. I've also been using two new conditioners for the body of my hair since the weather has been so dry to keep my hair from drying out. So far my hair isn't any drier or more tangly but I think overall I may need to clarify more often with FSG since it is more difficult to rinse out. I've clarified every two months on average in my CG hair journey. Maybe now I'll have to do it every three weeks or month. I dunno. Listening to my hair. So yes, I guess I'm going to be whipping up two hair gels when my marshmallow root and EOs get here: FSG & Okra gel. Let the contest begin! I'll start a new thread to compare the two.

I have to ask--in your siggy you say you "wash" with Tea Tree Tingle? That's the shampoo right? Not the conidtioner? Because I use the shampoo to clarify and the conditioner to co-wash my scalp. I love them both. The conditioner more though.

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

Calling Curly Hair Pro Kathymack! How much horsetail do you use in your okra gel? My aunt gave me some horsetail tea she had sitting in her cabinet as soon as she saw I had my curly eye on it. Granted this is the tea. I figured I'd just infuse the water with it by boiling it in a tea strainer. Maybe a tea bag? A tea spoon?

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

Calling Curly Hair Pro Kathymack! How much horsetail do you use in your okra gel? My aunt gave me some horsetail tea she had sitting in her cabinet as soon as she saw I had my curly eye on it. Granted this is the tea. I figured I'd just infuse the water with it by boiling it in a tea strainer. Maybe a tea bag? A tea spoon?

Post #13 in this thread has the whole "recipe" that I did.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm going to try the okra gel this weekend with just agave nectar...and like kathymack said...just add ingredients in as I see my hair needs them...okra has pretty good slip..and I believe the gel I have now dosent have marshmallow root as an add-in. .. or at least its not listed as such...ill see how the consistency is first...may not need to add a thickener...can't wait to experiment. ..;)

2b/c CG since 8/12

MUST Pixie diffuse.

Sorry I missed the big heaping "T" Kathymack. I really shouldn't log in here at midnight or so because I'm quite loopy and I miss the obvious even at an early hour. Much thanks!

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

I'm going to try the okra gel this weekend with just agave nectar...and like kathymack said...just add ingredients in as I see my hair needs them...okra has pretty good slip..and I believe the gel I have now dosent have marshmallow root as an add-in. .. or at least its not listed as such...ill see how the consistency is first...may not need to add a thickener...can't wait to experiment. ..;)

Exactly. Why pay good money for something that is so easy to make yourself?

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

I'm currently just using TJ TTT cleanser...but it's good to know u like the conditioner...was thinking of picking this up on my next trip...but now I definitely will;)
    2b/c CG since 8/12

MUST Pixie diffuse.

• CFcurlsCFcurls Posts: 24Registered Users
    Lately i've been on the mixtress train myself, and i'm currently working on a KCCC alternative recipe (17.00 for 8oz is killing me here..). I use marshmellow root steeped in hot distilled water and/or marshmellow root extract (Whole Paycheck carries it). Marshmellow for me does provide some moisture, but mostly I use it for its slip factor. It really doesn't provide a lot of shine for me.

Not to hijack a thread, but I have a question concerning FSG. I've noticed that it gives me major white flakes when I intially SOTC. Once I put some coconut oil on, the flakes disappear (mostly, a few like to straggle in the front of my hair). Also, I like the look of it the first day, but the hold seems to disappear after 5-8 hrs. Its not bad looking, but its not quite the hold I like that I get from KCCC. .

At first I thought that the aloe vera juice was causing the white flakes in my hair, so I reduced the amount in this FSG batch from 1 cup to 1 Tbsp, but nope.. still the same amount of flaking. Any suggestions? I don't necessarily want to give up on FSG but it needs a lot more hold and I hate the white flakes everywhere.
    3a/3b/3c medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity, medium-high density

No-Poo: Keracare cleansing conditioner, Suave naturals, rhassoul clay
    Seal: Jojoba oil, JC N&S, EVCO
    Stylers: KCCC, SS CEJ, Eco Styler argan oil gel
    DT: Currently doing a Ayurvedic routine with - Godrej Nupur 9-herb blend powder, variety of Ayurvedic herbs: Brahmi, Shikakai, Aloe Vera, Methi (fenugreek), Bhringraj, Amla, Neem, Hibiscus

Oils i'm really liking ATM: Vatika oil, Bhringraj oil, Emu oil